• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NFL Wild Card Playoffs |OT| - It's Time for a SWITCH™

Syrinx

Quoting myself on Cam from yesterday

Yep.

At the end of the day, 9-7 made the playoffs. The Panthers ended up 6-10 and you could argue that they should have won/had a good shot at winning 5 of those games they lost (Broncos, Bucs I/II, Chiefs, Raiders). This season was more a story of missing opportunities than just consistently bad football. The core of the team is still strong, they just need to stop trying to fix the holes with dollar store scotch tape. What's the point of all that work Getts did to get the Panthers out of cap hell just to not use that cap room when its available? The only person who gains from that is Richardson (who lets be fair, has directed his GM to save on football expenditures before, see 2010)
The thing with Cam is that his dropoff was so insane this year. He went from MVP to worst QB in his own division. And the weapons around him were mostly the same as last year plus Benjamin (my Panther fan uncle says he may be literally insane).

I just think going forward you're not going to know what the fuck you're getting out of Newton. His inconsistencies seem to be more year to year than game to game. Last year you hit the jackpot and got God Newton. This year you got shit Newton. Which will you get next year? Will it be somewhere in between (probably, but that's a huge range)? Injuries are a factor, the start to the season is a factor, etc.

Agree that a complete overhaul should not be in the cards for you guys at least.

bionic77

Defensive teams always revert the year after. It is just harder to maintain that level on d than it is on offense.

Carolina was more disappointing because we all assumed the South would be garbage and they were not losing as much as Denver. Also it is really hard to be disappointing after you win the SB no matter what happens the next year. You are still the champs until Trump gives the Trump Football trophy to the Pats in February shortly after swearing in.

C1LtDByUQAE714w.jpg:large

#StillAPanther
#NoItsYOURFaultFloy
Coach K is going to retire next

Syrinx

Defensive teams always revert the year after. It is just harder to maintain that level on d than it is on offense.

Carolina was more disappointing because we all assumed the South would be garbage and they were not losing as much as Denver. Also it is really hard to be disappointing after you win the SB no matter what happens the next year. You are still the champs until Trump gives the Trump Football trophy to the Pats in February shortly after swearing in.

They said during the game yesterday that Carolina led the league in sacks this year but had the worst pass defense in terms of YPG.

I didn't even know that shit was physically possible.

Vixdean

The thing with Cam is that his dropoff was so insane this year. He went from MVP to worst QB in his own division. And the weapons around him were mostly the same as last year plus Benjamin (my Panther fan uncle says he may be literally insane).

I just think going forward you're not going to know what the fuck you're getting out of Newton. His inconsistencies seem to be more year to year than game to game. Last year you hit the jackpot and got God Newton. This year you got shit Newton. Which will you get next year? Will it be somewhere in between (probably, but that's a huge range)? Injuries are a factor, the start to the season is a factor, etc.

Agree that a complete overhaul should not be in the cards for you guys at least.

This isn't really true though, and it's due to the perception that he played way above his average last year. Years 1-5, Cam was basically the same dude, the variation came from the team around him.

Holy shit I'm not sure Brady is going to be able to handle his emotions, I fully expect him to spew out how they cheated this time in the heat of the moment. I think Belichick might have to kill him now before it happens.

Ian RapoportVerified account
‏@RapSheet
Source: #Raiders are flying in FA QB Garrett Gilbert and he’s expected to sign on their practice squad. Could be active later this week

Championship!! :(

DMczaf

TAMPA, Fla. -- Tampa Bay Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston has eclipsed the 4,000-yard passing mark for the second straight season, becoming the first quarterback in NFL history to pass for 4,000 yards in each of his first two seasons.

:D

DMczaf

With a touchdown throw to Mike Evans, Winston has broken the Bucs' single season touchdown record. Winston and Josh Freeman were tied at 27 heading into Sunday's game. Winston now has 28. He also has broken the team's single-season passing record.

:D

Fitts

On that thought, Chiefsplanet is probabaly the worst sepecific online football fanbase/forum as far as NFL forums goes so I'm not surprised. So much racism, hatred and overall bigotry.

Yeah, I went there once. Included with the above was a comment along the lines of being envious of Andy's son for not being alive to see his father "fail" the Chiefs. And of course there were replies to reinforce the sentiment thereafter.

Absolutely disgusting. Checked it out for a laugh and left mortified. Never again.

Drakeon

@Eric_Edholm
Wow

Jed York: "I own this football team. You don't dismiss owners."

#Pray4FMT

Wish you could though. Fucker thought Tomsula could do as well as Harbaugh. Jesus christ what a shitshow this whole organization has been since 2014 (well, whenever the Harbaugh to Cleveland rumors started really, not sure if that was late 2013).

On that thought, Chiefsplanet is probabaly the worst sepecific online football fanbase/forum as far as NFL forums goes so I'm not surprised. So much racism, hatred and overall bigotry.

Chiefs-GAF is fine though from what I've seen

No lies detected, that place is fucking gross

Dishwalla

Banned

Chiefs-GAF is fine though from what I've seen

Been reading this board a little bit lately and yeah it's terrible. Their politics subsection in particular is something else. Just reading through this thread on Net Neutrality is enough to make your brain stop.

This isn't really true though, and it's due to the perception that he played way above his average last year. Years 1-5, Cam was basically the same dude, the variation came from the team around him.

camstats_zpsaefwexvb.png

Outside of the touchdowns and the int%, Cam in 2015 was well within all of his career averages. Like you said, he was perceived to be playing way better than in the past, most likely due to (A) QB WINZ and (B) he just looked better. All that "he's finally figured it out!" talk about his on-field mannerisms and body language, that damn towel, the dab, all of it.

Who comes into replace K?

Most likely they stay in the Duke/K family.

Jeff Capel (who is the guy standing in during his leave of absence now) is probably the clearest choice considering the fact that he already has head coaching experience at a major program.

At one point, someone like Brad Stevens was a popular idea, but he's too well established in the league now. I don't see him going back to college.

squicken

Wish you could though. Fucker thought Tomsula could do as well as Harbaugh. Jesus christ what a shitshow this whole organization has been since 2014 (well, whenever the Harbaugh to Cleveland rumors started really, not sure if that was late 2013).

For whatever reason it seems Jed just did what Baalke told him to do. It's kind of like Doug Whaley and Rick Smith where you wonder what is going on for these guys to have such organizational power

Not unless if you think the GM was the problem and want to give a coach a chance to build something.

49ers had a garbage roster so I don't get this expectations logic.

Being forced to keep a coach with almost no success in the NFL is going to severely limit your GM options. GM's want their own guy, it's that simple

Drakeon

For whatever reason it seems Jed just did what Baalke told him to do. It's kind of like Doug Whaley and Rick Smith where you wonder what is going on for these guys to have such organizational power

Whaley is amazing, he survived a ownership change and yet still has all this power after fucking taking EJ Manuel and having strong disagreements with multiple coaches (wasn't he the reason Marrone left town?)

Rick Smith is also surprising, in that, all his years there, he can't bring in a single good QB. Can't draft them and when he gets a shot at a FA QB, he takes Osweiler. I'm assuming Schaub was long enough ago that it wasn't Smith who took him. Schaub was a decent QB for a while.

MechDX

Whaley is amazing, he survived a ownership change and yet still has all this power after fucking taking EJ Manuel and having strong disagreements with multiple coaches (wasn't he the reason Marrone left town?)

Rick Smith is also surprising, in that, all his years there, he can't bring in a single good QB. Can't draft them and when he gets a shot at a FA QB, he takes Osweiler. I'm assuming Schaub was long enough ago that it wasn't Smith who took him. Schaub was a decent QB for a while.

Smith took over in 2006 after the draft. Yes he was here for Schaub

[
Most likely they stay in the Duke/K family.

Jeff Capel (who is the guy standing in during his leave of absence now) is probably the clearest choice considering the fact that he already has head coaching experience at a major program.

At one point, someone like Brad Stevens was a popular idea, but he's too well established in the league now. I don't see him going back to college.
I see..

Jameis isn't good
He's better than Tebow

Doomsayer

I got this as well, and I still can't understand why. The only reason any of Baalke's picks looked good was because of Harbaugh. Look at how fucking awful this team is with all of Baalke's boys.

Jed York should die of a gonorrhea and burn in hell.

Drakeon

I got this as well, and I still can't understand why. The only reason any of Baalke's picks looked good was because of Harbaugh. Look at how fucking awful this team is with all of Baalke's boys.

Jed York should die of a gonorrhea and burn in hell.

Of the names floated so far for GM (Caseiro in NE, Ballard from KC) do you like any of them? I was going over Barrow's possible hires and I probably prefer Ballard. I'm not thrilled about McDaniels/Caseiro combination hire, if only because I remember the shitshow he had in Denver (and fucking trading up for Tebow in the first round).

Top Bottom