• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NGA Team Play: OK, Okinawa!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Rules
Players 1 & 2 on each team can ONLY use Novice Characters; Players 3 & 4 can use Novice OR Intermediate.

First Round
The Bjorny Bunch vs. Janitorial Hip Hoppers
Team Silica Snare vs. Team Shooter
Stoke Play Mode
Okinawa 9H Long Tee (Out)
Timer: Slow

Captain writes down all scores. If tied, best individual score is tiebreaker, down the line.

Final Round
Europe 9H Long Tee (Out)
-TIME: The usual time, Sat., 1 PM EDT/5 PM GMT, last floor, last lobby.

Alternates: thebigkahuna, denogginizer, studio810/dkeane

TEAMS
Janitorial Hip Hoppers
1. Alex Anderson/BrandonJ335
2. Strawman
3. mrbagdt
4. zoku88

Team Silica Snare
1. kay/k-x
2. Steroyd
3. Fair Witness
4. Wasabi King

Team Shooter
teamtj9.jpg

1. tyler/sevenLayers
2. HotHitter
3. Dandare4444
4. Snowball

The Bjorny Bunch
hot-shots-golf-out-of-bounds-20080305034216358-000.jpg

1. AstroLad
2. el Diablo/MVTee
3. greendublin
4. besada

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Baker said:
When are you planning on running this? If it's this Saturday, I'll be out of town :sadface

Oh yeah, shoot sorry. Think I will run it at the usual time since that seems to be when most people are available. It's ok, we'll have to get together for some h2h matchplay before then. :D

Snowball

Banned
I'm in, Astro, but I need to know the GMT of the tournament.

I can barely count up to 5 so don't ask me to calculate it myself.
I'm in Italy so i've to add one hour from the number you will give me, appreciate that! :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Snowball said:

I'm in Italy so i've to add one hour from the number you will give me, appreciate that! :)

5 PM GMT

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I would like to try and get in on this but I am a maybe right now. I have a TV repairman coming Saturday and he may still be there at 1PM. I will let you know.

I'll play. I hope no one gets left out, say if 11 people show up, and that no one drops mid-round. That could complicate things :p

Very minor suggestion: I think the thread could get more view(s) by tacking (Hot Shots Golf: OOB) onto the end of the thread titles. Probably not as many as when you bump the Gaming Forum thread to advertise it, but it couldn't hurt I guess?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Alex Anderson said:
I'll play. I hope no one gets left out, say if 11 people show up, and that no one drops mid-round. That could complicate things :p

Very minor suggestion: I think the thread could get more view(s) by tacking (Hot Shots Golf: OOB) onto the end of the thread titles. Probably not as many as when you bump the Gaming Forum thread to advertise it, but it couldn't hurt I guess?

Yeah, that's why I emphasize that people have to really commit to being there. I have a pretty healthy friends list of people that could fill in I'm sure but it wouldn't be the same. Basically this really depends on people having that team mentality but I've got faith.

Don't think I can change the thread title now but if a mod is around that sounds good.

zoku88

Lemme check to see if I have that course available (I know I've been playing it in single-player tourneys.) If I do, I'm in (if I can hurry fast enough!)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
zoku88 said:
Lemme check to see if I have that course available (I know I've been playing it in single-player tourneys.) If I do, I'm in (if I can hurry fast enough!)

it's the second one. be sure to have regular and back tee unlocked but my guess is you do.

zoku88

Oh man, backtee = long tee (mirror) doesn't it? >.>

jw, before I commit to joining, how long do these normally take? I have a dinner I'm supposed to go to at 6 EST >.>

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
zoku88 said:
Oh man, backtee = long tee (mirror) doesn't it? >.>

jw, before I commit to joining, how long do these normally take? I have a dinner I'm supposed to go to at 6 EST >.>

Should take a couple hours tops. First tourney we've done like this but I'm gonna have time set to Normal and most gaffers move pretty quickly so each round should take a little over an hour by my estimate.

HoTHiTTeR

zoku88 said:
Ok, since it starts at 12pm EST, then I should have enough time. I'm in.

It starts @ 1pm est/10am PST, and it won't take more than 1.5hrs-2hrs w/ 2 or 3 teams, even 4 teams probably.

Steroyd

Just to make this clear, because of daylight savings, everyone is +1 of what they were so in Italy I think you're now GMT+2 which is 7PM.

Oh I'm in, and put me in the n00b category, I'm going to get a hang of this Adv shots even if I get demoted to G3.

Damn. This sounds like fun but... I'm away for a texas hold 'em tournament Friday night and I have no idea if I'll be back early enough on Saturday. There is a real good chance I can make it but I can't be 100% sure. I guess I can be a last minute wild card?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
thebigkahuna said:
Damn. This sounds like fun but... I'm away for a texas hold 'em tournament Friday night and I have no idea if I'll be back early enough on Saturday. There is a real good chance I can make it but I can't be 100% sure. I guess I can be a last minute wild card?

I'll put you in as an alternate in case someone stabs us in the back.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Here are the team captains:
1. BrandonJ
2. kay
3. tyler
4. AstroLad

Hopefully we can finalize the players shortly then you guys can send me a 1-12 list to draft your teams.

kay

How do I rank people if I haven't seen them play? Can we just go by level? Add them up in each group and try to make it even.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
You can look at old results as most of these people have played in prior tourneys; probably the best indicator, or look at what people have said here. Really up to you. Just the simplest way to do it. Of course, we still need two more so let's see.

HSG5 Early Bird Open Top 5
1. BrandonJ335/-16/4327
2. JovialCharacter/-16/4226
3. AstroLad/-15/4029
4. Thebigkahuna1/-12/3809
5. Bshock/-10/3517

NGA Lubbock Funvitational Top 5
1. BrandonJ335 -16/4365
2. seveNLayers -13/3860
3. SilverNGold -12/3721
4. AstroLad -11/3765
5. rhfb -9/3380

NGA Goin' the Okinaway InvitationalTop 5
1. BrandonJ335/-16/4253
2. AstroLad/-11/3629
3. PuMa/-10/3397
4. Thebigkahuna1/-7/3210
5. Fair_witness/-7/3124

NGA Sonyland Showdown Top 5
1. BrandonJ335 -16/4324
2. seveNLayers -11/3660
3. K-X -11/3645
4. PuMA -9/3482
5. SilverNGold -8/3237

Gafrican Gameshttp://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=276943
1. K-X -13 3803
2. PuMa -11 3608
3. seveNLayers -11 3527
4. HoTHiTTer -9 3219
5. SilverNGold -6 2896

HoTHiTTeR

I can see it now...

<dream sequence>

(astrolad walks to podium, crowd silences)

"With the first pick in the inaugural NGA draft, Team BrandonJ selects.... Puma."

(crowd roars)

"With the second pick in the NGA draft, Team Kay selects... HoTHiTTeR."

(stunned crowd silences for a moment, then begins to boo wildly, many fans begin to throw beer on stage, and a small fire is ignited near the green room)

</dream sequence>

...Maybe pick SevenLayers w/ that 2nd pick, or SilverNGold.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
:lol

If SilverNGold was in this I would have made made him a captain over me. Basically we're picking in reverse order of the teams listed (snake draft), so me, then tyler, then kay-x, then brandon, then backwards until the teams are filled.

If we can do it "live" that would be cool.

mrbagdt

sounds awesome! please sign me up. and i would consider myself a good/casual player. thanks for organizing everything astro!

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Astrolad,

I am trying to get an answer on Saturday as far as my availibility. Go ahead and make me an alternate if you need to proceed.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Draft is TONIGHT (I hope) LIVE! IN THIS THREAD!!!

Nog, np just post whenever you know. We've still got one spot open that will hopefully be filled soon.

el Diablo

Banned
I'll fill in the last spot. This type of team format intrigues me.

It's your show but i do have a suggestion, need to check out the new formats first hand though to see if it's viable.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Oh I will tonight for sure (at which point I'll finalize all the settings as well) but if it's the same as JP it should be no problem.

DRAFT BEGINS!1!1

-Congratulations diablo, you are the first pick and already the best person on Team Astro.

Your pick tyler.

Three Rounds:

Round 1
1. astro
2. tyler
3. kay
4. alex

Round 2
1. alex
2. kay
3. tyler
4. astro

Round 3
1. astro
2. tyler
3. kay
4. alex

hope that makes sense

el Diablo

Banned
AstroLad said:
Oh I will tonight for sure (at which point I'll finalize all the settings as well) but if it's the same as JP it should be no problem.

DRAFT BEGINS!1!1

-Congratulations diablo, you are the first pick and already the best person on Team Astro.

Your pick tyler.

That sucked the intrigue out of the draft, like Miami signing Jake Long before the draft :lol. Thanks for the honor of being pick #1, with the help of my future teammates we will bring a championship to the stros'.

As for the suggestion, i thought you were going to run 2 8 man games for the 1st round and 1 8 man for the final and i was going to suggest going to 4 4 man games. It looks like stroke is capped at 4 players so i'm on about nothing.

el Diablo

Banned
AstroLad said:
Yep I think 4/4 Astro v. Brandon and kay v. tyler MAYBE 9h, then an 18h final will work.

Good let's slay the beast in the 1st round! No problem with 9 but prefer 18, 9 holes can be so flukey score wise. If a guy catches fire or goes ice cold that's it. Over 18 holes though, a person will almost always shoot their skill level since they'll either level out or get back on their game.

Also if you want to boost scores and morale you could open up intermediate level chars to casual players. It can be overwhelming sometimes when even if you're having a good round your score is getting pummeled by a higher level person (shihiko does this to me on a weekly basis :lol).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If any of you guys are on PSN can you msg tyler and tell him about this thread. Not sure he's checked gaf in a few days.

AstroLad said:
If any of you guys are on PSN can you msg tyler and tell him about this thread. Not sure he's checked gaf in a few days.

What's his PSN name? I forget. I'll look for him after I finish installing this HSG update.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Also if you want to boost scores and morale you could open up intermediate level chars to casual players. It can be overwhelming sometimes when even if you're having a good round your score is getting pummeled by a higher level person

I like that idea. I'll allow the first two people on each team to use novice, and the second two to use novice or intermediate. Will finalize it all tonight once I actually get to play a bit of matchplay.

Alex Anderson said:
What's his PSN name? I forget. I'll look for him after I finish installing this HSG update.

sevenlayers

kay

I don't know of the skill level for a lot of players, never even seen some of them. So.. I have no idea. It would almost be random. Can I just go by level? Of course I'd need to know them somehow..

Top Bottom