• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

RS4-

Ok some questions:

jZhqN.jpg

If we win the draw while our setup is like this, what should the LD do (likewise, RD do on right side faceoffs)? I'm assuming that I should drop down? Or should I stay in front of the net along with the RW while the other d-man moves down to the boards for the center to pass to? Provided that we win the draw fairly cleanly and the opposition backs off towards the blueline rather than stay in front of our net.

vn8lX.jpg

With draws towards the middle of the ice it's a little bit harder to go about things, especially if the opposition rushes the point, moreso if it's one of those slow ass wins where the opposing forwards always have some sort of advantage compared to our dmen to get the puck. With an AI d-man, I've been able to switch positions with him if I get the puck; but realistic scenario, what should I look for if I can't switch? Just go for the shot, since more often than not there's usually some pressure that can easily pick off passes if I decide to get it back to the other d-man? At least if we win the faceoff to the far dman by the wall, that's easier to deal with.

Milly79

RS4- said:
Ok some questions:

jZhqN.jpg

If we win the draw while our setup is like this, what should the LD do (likewise, RD do on right side faceoffs)? I'm assuming that I should drop down? Or should I stay in front of the net along with the RW while the other d-man moves down to the boards for the center to pass to? Provided that we win the draw fairly cleanly and the opposition backs off towards the blueline rather than stay in front of our net.

vn8lX.jpg

With draws towards the middle of the ice it's a little bit harder to go about things, especially if the opposition rushes the point, moreso if it's one of those slow ass wins where the opposing forwards always have some sort of advantage compared to our dmen to get the puck. With an AI d-man, I've been able to switch positions with him if I get the puck; but realistic scenario, what should I look for if I can't switch? Just go for the shot, since more often than not there's usually some pressure that can easily pick off passes if I decide to get it back to the other d-man? At least if we win the faceoff to the far dman by the wall, that's easier to deal with.
Wing it.

RS4- said:
Ok some questions:

jZhqN.jpg

vn8lX.jpg

In A I would drop back to collect the puck or assist the LW if you can't get it so he has a pass to move it if necessary.

In B it's kind of up to the situation. If you think they are pressuring that much move left to take a shot or at least open up the ice. If RD looks clear but you are pressured you can pass to them for the pass back or they can chip it behind the net. If you feel really rushed just wrist it on net, worst thing that can happen is goalie gives up a rebound. Just be ready to move back after the wrister so if they block it you don't lose position on it if they gain control and try to move down ice.

RS4- said:
Ok some questions:

jZhqN.jpg

vn8lX.jpg

here's what I do:

A) 1st and foremost, LD has to be ready in case the center gets deked between the legs off the faceoff. My method as LD is to rush out towards the puck and rapidly poke at it to prevent the pass from happening. If we happen to win, as the LD I try to go get the faceoff along with the Center. As the RD I post up right on the strongside corner of the net to prevent a cross-crease pass and to defend if the other team somehow gets the puck and walks it towards the side of the net.

B) In the offensive zone the center should try to win the faceoff towards the boards everytime. If they win it towards the middle you have to make a quick decision on whether or not you can get to it. If you can, grab it and look to pass back towards the wall to the other d-man or just shoot a quick wrist shot on net. If you have time and are confident in your stickhandling you can try to skate across the ice away from the pressure too, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you really know what you are doing. If it doesn't look like you can get it clean I usually back off behind the blueline to prevent a breakaway and just concede the faceoff to them.

Nozdeuce said:
WWD(ion)P(haneuf) Do??

1aphan.jpg

here's what I do:

A) If the Center wins the faceoff, LD draws back to get the puck and RD should also draw back behind the opposite side net and wait for a pass from LD. While the passes are happening from LD to RD, the forwards should start their breakout formations. I find it better to make the pass from LD to RD behind the net as you have the Goalie/Net doing the screen for your so the the opposing team can't get to you.

If the Center gets deked down low on the faceoff, the LD should be prepared for that and head towards the boards and pin/block any passing opportunities

B) I always draw the puck towards the board side so that way you have less ice to screw up on if you cant catch a pass. Then you have the option to pass/play along the boards, 3-man cycle, or wheel it around the net on the strong side boards.

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
Ok some questions:

jZhqN.jpg

Viz has the dmen covered on this one. Forwards should be the ones dropping behind the net to get the puck, not the dmen. In this case, the LW should drop down to the puck while the RW goes to the corner/boards on the opposite side for an outlet pass. If the opposing team doesn't pressure at all then the LW can use RW for an outlet or take the puck/pass up to the C.

RS4- said:
vn8lX.jpg

Listen to Viz here again. Don't try to force a shot if you're getting pressured. Some of our blue line turnovers come from a blocked shot. The puck sits there and creates a quick oppotunity for a breakaway. If you're not sure that you have time to do anything just drop back and we'll reset. Don't force a quick shot if you're not sure it'll get through.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Can't believe I fucked up the penalty shot, that was some Marcie quality shit. If anyone ever sees me standing still or wandering aimlessly/holding onto the puck way way too long, I'm trying to pass it to someone and it's not going. If I'm going for Noz heroics you'll know.

GOOD POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT TONIGHT VIZ, though I know you like your cross crease passes earlier than what I gave you =/

Nozdeuce said:
Can't believe I fucked up the penalty shot, that was some Marcie quality shit. If anyone ever sees me standing still or wandering aimlessly/holding onto the puck way way too long, I'm trying to pass it to someone and it's not going. If I'm going for Noz heroics you'll know.

GOOD POSITIVE REINFORCEMENT TONIGHT VIZ, though I know you like your cross crease passes earlier than what I gave you =/

shit happens, you made a good move, just looked like you took a second too long to snap off the shot, if you extend at all either direction it's usually no good, it's gotta be a quick shot after your last deke

we had our moments on offense tonight, but it was mostly frustrating for me, I thought I was pretty ineffective on faceoffs and just contributions on offense in general, puck just didn't seem to come my way much, I was hoping to give us a boost after I swapped places with House but it didnt seem to work very well. I spent most of the night setting screens for shots that never got off, lol

I don't recall any problems with cross-crease passes, the one you gave me that I blew was perfect, I just didn't have time to get all the way outside the post so I gave the goalie a chance to make a miracle save and of course that's what he did

Nozdeuce

TheVisualizer said:
shit happens, you made a good move, just looked like you took a second too long to snap off the shot, if you extend at all either direction it's usually no good, it's gotta be a quick shot after your last deke

we had our moments on offense tonight, but it was mostly frustrating for me, I thought I was pretty ineffective on faceoffs and just contributions on offense in general, puck just didn't seem to come my way much, I was hoping to give us a boost after I swapped places with House but it didnt seem to work very well. I spent most of the night setting screens for shots that never got off, lol

I don't recall any problems with cross-crease passes, the one you gave me that I blew was perfect, I just didn't have time to get all the way outside the post so I gave the goalie a chance to make a miracle save and of course that's what he did
I need to go to the Viz deke academy someday. I'm not really so hot on deke theory, but I feel like I didn't go far enough left to start and then waited to long to actually do the move. MARCIE TYPE SHIT YO.

Did waaaay better on faceoffs than I did. Seemed like you were the one always making the first pass, whereas when I get to setting you up I'm the pitcher and you're the catcher. While I had it seemed like it was a pass from you, then either to other wing/attempt to point/totally sweet turnover. Orrr, you'd spring me and I'd fuck it over at the line. I'm not sure but I don't think I shot all that often (relatively).

I'm way out of my depth on this one so. I KNOW YOU LIKE THEM PASSES EARLIER <3

Annoyed I didn't get the penalty shot, mildly satisfied I got the random steal and go through everyone one.

You're being overly critical of yourself, you spent a lot of time chilling on my vacated side

Marvie_3

Banned
Used a little GAF orange for these:
aZI1g.jpg

UQZmG.jpg

Not sure what Keith is doing there....

Kept these simple:
lIUgU.jpg

T64Zp.jpg

I had a couple more but I was too lazy to make them tonight.

Nozdeuce

I like Black but with a little bit more color, I like something vibrant against the black though, pretty much anything. I think dark-anything's look bland/muddy on black in nhl. So like this, but you know..not done in 2 seconds in photoshop

TERRIBLELAYERMASK.jpg

Nozdeuce

zsswimmer said:
Marvie's black white and orange look really good.

Noz you love them ice cream colors huh :D
Word, aside from black/white I think they're the only colors that resemble anything close to good

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
did I miss something?

when did the Create the Most Generic Looking Jersey contest start?
I thought you started it with all your "off shade colors matched with a slightly more off shade of the same color" designs?

Nozdeuce said:
Word, aside from black/white I think they're the only colors that resemble anything close to good
Except it looks absolutely retarded. :lol

Nozdeuce

Marvie_3 said:
I thought you started it with all your "off shade colors matched with a slightly more off shade of the same color" designs?

Except it looks absolutely retarded. :lol
Have to work with what you've got, I haven't actually ever seen a color combination I thought truly looked good. In game communities always out do the developers when it comes to being creative and executing on it, just not possible with the colors/lighting of NHL. To me the nicest looking shades of colors are the real team ones, flames or sens red, leafs blue etc

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
Have to work with what you've got, I haven't actually ever seen a color combination I thought truly looked good. In game communities always out do the developers when it comes to being creative and executing on it, just not possible with the colors/lighting of NHL. To me the nicest looking shades of colors are the real team ones, flames or sens red, leafs blue etc
Blackhawks jerseys it is then!

RS4-

Brutal games last night :(

And fuck, GAF has been really slow for me today and even when I idle on the forums it crashes my firefox for whatever reason. Haven't installed any new or updated any extensions today either. Hrm.

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
good games swim, ridiculous goals keep piling up on us though, I think the pink jerseys are cursed
Hey we won though, tough wins but wins nonetheless. As for the swim cannon double OT clutch goal, ask and ye shall receive ;)

zsswimmer said:
Hey we won though, tough wins but wins nonetheless. As for the swim cannon double OT clutch goal, ask and ye shall receive ;)

well I wasn't having any success so I figured I'd let you try once:

GOALS/SHOTS in OT

Viz = 0/35
Swim = 1/1

Marvie_3 said:
Used a little GAF orange for these:
aZI1g.jpg

UQZmG.jpg

Not sure what Keith is doing there....

After taking a 2nd look, (I always outright dismiss any jerseys you make), I like these:

I can fully co-sign them if you:

1) Add orange outline to the logo
2) Add orange to 1 part of the collar, preferably the thick part
3) Make sure the goalie pads are mostly black with some orange in there

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
well I wasn't having any success so I figured I'd let you try once:

GOALS/SHOTS in OT

Viz = 0/35
Swim = 1/1
I can't score unless its a clutch moment. You had a hattrick in the first game, you win :(

I like those jerseys you quoted too, although I'm fine with the way they are in the picture

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
After taking a 2nd look, (I always outright dismiss any jerseys you make), I like these:

I can fully co-sign them if you:

1) Add orange outline to the logo
2) Add orange to 1 part of the collar, preferably the thick part
3) Make sure the goalie pads are mostly black with some orange in there
Done, done, and done.

Sorry Noz. I didn't put any toothpaste colors on them.

zsswimmer

Awesome games fellas, great line chemistry all around

Sorry I had to drop out earlier than I wanted, my hand always hurts when I play NHL 11 for awhile :(

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
Awesome games fellas, great line chemistry all around

Sorry I had to drop out earlier than I wanted, my hand always hurts when I play NHL 11 for awhile :(
Maybe you shouldn't jerk off as much before you start playing NHL then.

Top Bottom