• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

LiveWire said:
I think we need to pin guys on the boards more, all over the ice, but particularly in their zone. You can get away with a few seconds of holding if you come in and hit Y if the puck is in the area of that player. If we can get the puck back in their zone and we're pinning one of their guys, you can let go and get open before they can recover. That and we need to coordinate our attacks better, pass more. I'm guilty of holding on to the puck too much myself, though I'm trying to pull defenders to me and hit an open wing on a pass I think sometimes it's better to drop it back to a defenseman in the zone.

In general though, most of the goals that we give up are total BS. Which wouldn't be as much of an issue if we could just score more.

Your right about the pinning people to the boards, you would be surprised at how terrible most people are at handling a good dump and chase and work along the boards, they dont judge the trajectory of a dumped puck well, they dont know how to anticipate that small bounce off the backboards and when they get pinned they usually sit there for too long ripe for the picking. All it takes is one poke check from close enough and the puck is ours.

One of the main reasons I see that we arent scoring goals is that people dont know what to do without the puck in the offensive zone, usually one of the wingers will carry it in and/or dump if it looks like trouble. Once we gain possession everyone stands around and watches the guy with the puck and hopes he can score. No one makes cuts towards the net looking for passes and rarely does anyone position themselves on the back wall looking for passes. Forwards have to be moving at all times in the offensive trying to give the puckhandler a pass option.

I try to facilitate offense from my d-man spot from time to time but there's only so much I can do as my primary responsibility is making sure no one gets behind me, but since we started playing club this year I am taking way too many shots as a d-man, I shouldn't be almost leading the team in shots. When I get the puck out top try to read the pressure coming towards me and find a passing lane as I like to fake the shot and draw people out then pass back under to you guys. If you want to set a screen / redirect it usually works best if you are moving slightly from one side of the ice to the other rather than parking down there and staying stationary as most times you will just end up blocking our point shots by standing around.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Following shots to the net is really effective too, so many goals by spamming in loose pucks

LiveWire

TheVisualizer said:
One of the main reasons I see that we arent scoring goals is that people dont know what to do without the puck in the offensive zone, usually one of the wingers will carry it in and/or dump if it looks like trouble. Once we gain possession everyone stands around and watches the guy with the puck and hopes he can score. No one makes cuts towards the net looking for passes and rarely does anyone position themselves on the back wall looking for passes. Forwards have to be moving at all times in the offensive trying to give the puckhandler a pass option.

I try to move around in the offensive zone without the puck, but I thought my job as center, particularly enforcer, is to clear out room in front of the crease for shots/passes/poke at rebounds? And to block the goalie's vision?

Marvie_3

Banned
LiveWire said:
I try to move around in the offensive zone without the puck, but I thought my job as center, particularly enforcer, is to clear out room in front of the crease for shots/passes/poke at rebounds? And to block the goalie's vision?
As a center, you should be in the slot running screens, etc. unless there's a power forward type player in the game. That doesn't mean you have to stay there. You'll want to rotate with the wings to get a good cycle going, which in turn helps open up space on the ice as the defenders chase the puck around.

As a wing, I'll dump the puck in if I can't bring the puck in. If I'm able to get in the zone, I'll try to get down low and pass into the middle. If that isn't open I look for the open dman(who should be covering the boards on that side) or try to bring it back around the net.

When I don't have the puck, I try to creep into the slot to find an open spot or move down behind the net. If a dman cuts to the net, I always hop back out to cover their spot. Once in awhile I find myself standing around a bit but I do try to keep active and look for open ice.

Viz, you should be taking a lot of shots from out there. Shots from outside either go in a lot or they set up good scoring chances. One thing I've noticed though, and this goes for anyone playing D, is that shots are getting off quick enough from the point. Sometimes its due to a bad pass back from a forward and others from the dman trying to do too much with it. The puck needs to get on net quickly or it often results in a turnover and a breakaway.

Forwards, myself especially :lol , need to be smarter with the puck moving into the zone. If there's no room to take the puck in, we need to dump the puck in. Way too many turnovers come from a forward trying to skate the puck in and getting hammered at the line. If we dump it and we can hustle in and get it, it sets up a good chance. If not, then it's better to give them the puck deep in their zone where we can forecheck rather than giving it up at the blue line.

I think a lot of this stuff could be fixed if we just communicated better. Seems like the mics are pretty quiet other than my yelling at the tv. Letting the other players on the ice know if you're open, if the other team is cherry picking, if you're going to dump the puck in and to what side, etc etc, would help a lot. I think that would help with the offsides a lot as well. If the other forwards on the ice know what the puck carrier is going to do, they can better prepare an entry into the zone.

Marvie_3 said:
As a center, you should be in the slot running screens, etc. unless there's a power forward type player in the game. That doesn't mean you have to stay there. You'll want to rotate with the wings to get a good cycle going, which in turn helps open up space on the ice as the defenders chase the puck around.

As a wing, I'll dump the puck in if I can't bring the puck in. If I'm able to get in the zone, I'll try to get down low and pass into the middle. If that isn't open I look for the open dman(who should be covering the boards on that side) or try to bring it back around the net.

When I don't have the puck, I try to creep into the slot to find an open spot or move down behind the net. If a dman cuts to the net, I always hop back out to cover their spot. Once in awhile I find myself standing around a bit but I do try to keep active and look for open ice.

Viz, you should be taking a lot of shots from out there. Shots from outside either go in a lot or they set up good scoring chances. One thing I've noticed though, and this goes for anyone playing D, is that shots are getting off quick enough from the point. Sometimes its due to a bad pass back from a forward and others from the dman trying to do too much with it. The puck needs to get on net quickly or it often results in a turnover and a breakaway.

Forwards, myself especially :lol , need to be smarter with the puck moving into the zone. If there's no room to take the puck in, we need to dump the puck in. Way too many turnovers come from a forward trying to skate the puck in and getting hammered at the line. If we dump it and we can hustle in and get it, it sets up a good chance. If not, then it's better to give them the puck deep in their zone where we can forecheck rather than giving it up at the blue line.

I think a lot of this stuff could be fixed if we just communicated better. Seems like the mics are pretty quiet other than my yelling at the tv. Letting the other players on the ice know if you're open, if the other team is cherry picking, if you're going to dump the puck in and to what side, etc etc, would help a lot. I think that would help with the offsides a lot as well. If the other forwards on the ice know what the puck carrier is going to do, they can better prepare an entry into the zone.

good points, ill focus on getting shots off quicker for you guys, ive been looking for screens or shots to go in clean when i should be trying to get you guys rebounds

another tip for defensemen and a p.s.a. for forwards... in the O zone if a forward decides to skate the puck down to the bluelines towards a dman, that dman needs to back out of zone to give the forward room and to protect against a potential breakaway. forwards just know i will be doing this from now on so dont walk the puck over to me looking to pass as i will be falling back towards center ice to protect against the turnover

RS4-

I've been playing with Vis too long, so most of the time if I'm running down the sides without any options in the middle, whether its passing or cutting in, I usually just pass it down to Vis then I cut across the middle or up along the boards.

I haven't been throwing it along the sides, behind the net enough, just to get some movement going.

I'm tired of taking terrible boarding penalties, next time I'm just going to pin them :lol

RS4- said:
I've been playing with Vis too long, so most of the time if I'm running down the sides without any options in the middle, whether its passing or cutting in, I usually just pass it down to Vis then I cut across the middle or up along the boards.

I haven't been throwing it along the sides, behind the net enough, just to get some movement going.

I'm tired of taking terrible boarding penalties, next time I'm just going to pin them :lol

if i remember most of ur penalties were elbowing, might want to invest some points in discipline:D

RS4-

Hahah it's so random, streak of boarding and misconducts...I stop playing for a week and now it's elbow calls. My disc. is at 80 something :lol

LiveWire

RS4- said:
Hahah it's so random, streak of boarding and misconducts...I stop playing for a week and now it's elbow calls. My disc. is at 80 something :lol

My discipline is at 59 and I rarely get called for anything. :D

Anyone up for some games?

From what I notice some of you, can't remember who, rarely pass the puck back to the point when the D is open and there are 4 opponents closing in on the forward with the puck, gotta get it back to the D quickly and rush to the net so I can wire one or pass it as you cut in

Some guys just like to figure skate in and then pass it to nowhere

RS4-

I'll get on the game after you guys, going to eat first.

Lol livewire, the refs hate me; that's what I get for being a Leafs fan.

BigJonsson said:
From what I notice some of you, can't remember who, rarely pass the puck back to the point when the D is open and there are 4 opponents closing in on the forward with the puck, gotta get it back to the D quickly and rush to the net so I can wire one or pass it as you cut in

Some guys just like to figure skate in and then pass it to nowhere

you still planning on moving to forward BigJonsson, or staying at defenseman?

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Anyone know what the best D configuration is to start with? I am not happy with the passing skills of the Defensive Defenseman.

LiveWire

RS4- said:
Lol livewire, the refs hate me; that's what I get for being a Leafs fan.

Heh, this was my IM conversation today with this chick from Toronto that I know:

chick: hockey!!!
LW: hell yea, football and hockey, best time of the year
chick: did you watch the games? leafs and caps did well!
LW: well I'm sure the caps did
LW: leafs.....
chick: don't be so mean to my poor leafs :(
LW: lol leafs

DenogginizerOS said:
Anyone know what the best D configuration is to start with? I am not happy with the passing skills of the Defensive Defenseman.

I use the offensive defenseman, I think its the best base, I prioritized my attributes in the following order:

OFF
passing
puck control
offensive awareness
slapshot power

DEF
stick checking
defensive awareness
discipline
checking

ATH
balance
strength
agility
speed

the only thing I'm not really happy with right now is strength as it starts low with offensive defensemen and costs a lot to get up into the 80's, but hopefully the extra points I will get with my Superstar card 10 games from now will help me out there

zsswimmer

That 2nd game we played was so much better, everything seemed to click. Two shorthanded goals and then we just had some good solid defense. Of course, I won my two fights :lol , I'm sure I'm on the way to beat the club record if I didn't already, I think last year I had like 450+ fights :lol. We'll see how long I can go undefeated here, 3-0 starting out

zsswimmer said:
That 2nd game we played was so much better, everything seemed to click. Two shorthanded goals and then we just had some good solid defense. Of course, I won my two fights :lol , I'm sure I'm on the way to beat the club record if I didn't already, I think last year I had like 450+ fights :lol. We'll see how long I can go undefeated here, 3-0 starting out

def lived up to your name...Knuckles

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
def lived up to your name...Knuckles
Its so refreshing to able to play defense in club. Everyone passes to the point and both d men are constantly moving around in the offensive zone. Rare thing to see in OTP unfortunately.

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
We'll see about that, sir.

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
Its on! But did you see how many I had last year :lol , thatd be pretty badass if you had more than that! 0.0 anyways I'll be on later tonight to play
Yeah, I had several hundred last year too. :lol

I always like to fight when laserbot is playing goalie. He won't drag down your +/- when you're in the penalty box.

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah, I had several hundred last year too. :lol

I always like to fight when laserbot is playing goalie. He won't drag down your +/- when you're in the penalty box.
Haha thats messed up :lol . I don't know how I started fighting so much last year, but its probably cuz OTP sucked so much that I would actually boost my stats by winning fights :lol

Zakkath

Yup, it's been a good night. So far tonight, we have 3 wins, 2 losses. We had a great comeback in our first game. We were down 2-0 in 3rd and won 3-2 :)

RS4-

lol where am I supposed to find that; it doesn't help that the game just randomly forces you to the dashboard with random lockups...hasn't changed since 09!

edit - nm, thought there was a secret menu outside of the hub garbage

Marvie_3

Banned
RS4- said:
lol where am I supposed to find that; it doesn't help that the game just randomly forces you to the dashboard with random lockups...hasn't changed since 99!

edit - nm, thought there was a secret menu outside of the hub garbage
Fixed.

Top Bottom