• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

bastards started the game without me

my mic must not work in the lobby i thought i asked you guys to hold up while i changed my guy back to a d-man... oh well

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
bastards started the game without me

my mic must not work in the lobby i thought i asked you guys to hold up while i changed my guy back to a d-man... oh well
Damn man, you shouldve sent a message I didnt hear a mic. I feel like I play well when I'm playing with you cuz you understand the defense :p

zsswimmer said:
Damn man, you shouldve sent a message I didnt hear a mic. I feel like I play well when I'm playing with you cuz you understand the defense :p

thanx, we played a good game, you held me down on defense back there and I found a way to get us 2 goals

gg's to all, as usual had some crap goals against us tonight, but everyone played pretty well especially defensively as I don't think we gave up any breakaway goals in the few games I played tonight, and I had fun dangling around as a center pretending to be a scoring threat...

zsswimmer

These fucking douches faceoff glitched after they got a penalty. Of course, we get a penalty. Oh well, good thing I smashed his face in two times in a row now. I'm sure I'll do it a third time, you'll have some catching up to do Marvie :D

edit: Then they quit after we scored again and I demolished one of their dudes in a fight
TheVisualizer said:
thanx, we played a good game, you held me down on defense back there and I found a way to get us 2 goals

gg's to all, as usual had some crap goals against us tonight, but everyone played pretty well especially defensively as I don't think we gave up any breakaway goals in the few games I played tonight, and I had fun dangling around as a center pretending to be a scoring threat...

Yeah those were some nice goals. If only I could get some points, I might have to play as a wing sometime, I'm like 1 goal and 12 assists LOL.

zsswimmer said:
Yeah those were some nice goals. If only I could get some points, I might have to play as a wing sometime, I'm like 1 goal and 12 assists LOL.

Believe it or not I get most of my goals playing as a defenseman, you just need to pick your spots with shots from the point and get lucky. As far as goals are concerned I'm noticing slapshots don't seem to be very effective from the point I get my pockets picked when trying them more than not. I think I'm gonna redo my attributes and start trying to throw high wristers at the net from the point as that seemed to work better for redirections in NHL10.

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
Believe it or not I get most of my goals playing as a defenseman, you just need to pick your spots with shots from the point and get lucky. As far as goals are concerned I'm noticing slapshots don't seem to be very effective from the point I get my pockets picked when trying them more than not. I think I'm gonna redo my attributes and start trying to throw high wristers at the net from the point as that seemed to work better for redirections in NHL10.
Yeah seems like the old weak wrist shot leads to nice juicy rebound, at least thats how I've gotten my assists, then a lucky ass breakaway from the penalty box

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Yeah had a lot of fun tonight with you guys. I agree for the most part our defense was really sound. The other teams would usually only have one chance right at the beginning to surprise us with cherry picking then after that we locked them down.

Next card I get I need to ramp up my passing, cause it was putrid...other then that one time I passed to the wrong teammate but it turned into a breakaway goal. :lol

What team play rating have you guys been getting when you play usually? I can't seems to break a C- and usually get under. Feels like I'm never going to get a B-. It's weird too because I usually get an A in Team Play offline easily.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Good games last night. I feel my D is getting better. My biggest frustration with this game is the puck handling or lack thereof in my case. As in previous versions, the offensive players have an extreme advantage here and add to that the physics and risk/reward of checking, it makes playing defense frustrating at times.

RS4-

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
What team play rating have you guys been getting when you play usually? I can't seems to break a C- and usually get under. Feels like I'm never going to get a B-. It's weird too because I usually get an A in Team Play offline easily.
I usually get A's and overall I've got something like a B+

Position and teamplay are A- and stats is B or something.

RS4- said:
I usually get A's and overall I've got something like a B+

Position and teamplay are A- and stats is B or something.

Damn, I don't know what's wrong with my teamplay stats.

3.21 hits/game
.85 offsides/game
.23 blocks shots/game
6.11 shots/game
2.91 turnovers/game
1.77 takeaways/game
4.89 goodshots/game
.74 faceoffs won/game
0 dekes
0 successful dekes
70 penalty minutes
0 goals from screening goalie

Are your stats a lot higher than this? It almost feels like no matter what I do I can't get above a C. :(

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

After the 2nd tuner addressed the teamplay rating (bad passes were bringing the rating down too much), I've been able to get mostly high B's and A's in teamplay now. I used to be consistently C's and D's as a lot of my passes used to miss and the game doesn't calculate all the shots I block standing in shooting lanes. Best advice for your teamplay rating is to make your passes count and pass often.

DenogginizerOS said:
Good games last night. I feel my D is getting better. My biggest frustration with this game is the puck handling or lack thereof in my case. As in previous versions, the offensive players have an extreme advantage here and add to that the physics and risk/reward of checking, it makes playing defense frustrating at times.

My philosophy hasn't changed from last year as a defenseman, you really gotta pick your spots for body checking. I do 90% poke checking, 5% pinning and 5% body checking. Some people can't play this way, as they are so used to body checking that they can't get away from it. If you learn to anticipate the puck handlers movements and use small subtle movements in the offensive zone it becomes less frustrating.

As a defensemen I try to sit inside the strong side faceoff circle watching the puck handler, primarily guarding against the cross crease passes by properly timing my poke checks, but also keeping myself in position to step out and either poke check or get in the shooting lane of anyone that tries to get a wrist shot off from the high slot. If you take away both of these high percentage goals and everyone else does there job its pretty hard to give up legit goals.

You have to realize what an all purpose weapon the poke check is on defense, you can harass people with the puck, you can block all passes, and you can even block shots with it, you just have to make sure you are in front of them and you judge the distance properly to avoid getting tripping penalties. I see some people on our team do a lot of diving shot blocks when things get sticky in the offensive zone and that's the worst thing you can do, its better to stay on your feet in most situations, as positional defense is key.

If you are playing tight d on someone in offensive zone you should always be shading the puck handler towards his forehand to take away his shooting lane. Last tip is if you are ever back 1 on 1 on a breakaway shade the puck handler to his backhand side until he crosses the blue line and gets to the top of the offensive zone faceoff circles as this will prevent you from being caught with a good loose puck deke at the blueline. Most times good players wont even try one of these dekes if youre on their backhand side because they know it wont work.

zsswimmer

Yeah I'm really bad about over-committing to a hit. Although when I do manage to line one up, its a pretty damn big hit. I need to get some hip checks in, haven't done one in awhile.

RS4-

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Damn, I don't know what's wrong with my teamplay stats.

3.21 hits/game
.85 offsides/game
.23 blocks shots/game
6.11 shots/game
2.91 turnovers/game
1.77 takeaways/game
4.89 goodshots/game
.74 faceoffs won/game
0 dekes
0 successful dekes
70 penalty minutes
0 goals from screening goalie

Are your stats a lot higher than this? It almost feels like no matter what I do I can't get above a C. :(

6.42 hits/game
.41 offsides
.41 blocked shots
5.78 shots
3.78 turnovers
4.13 takeaways
4.52 god shots
1.10 faceoffs
32 loose deke attempts, 14 successful
188 penalty minutes
2 goals screening goalie

I think passes (good, bad) and calling for bad passes account for things as well. I don't know how much penalties and faceoffs factor in, because there are some games where I get destroyed and lose like 90% of them and still get an A

edit - can't believe EA still doesn't tell you WHAT you unlocked.

RS4- said:
6.42 hits/game
.41 offsides
.41 blocked shots
5.78 shots
3.78 turnovers
4.13 takeaways
4.52 god shots
1.10 faceoffs
32 loose deke attempts, 14 successful
188 penalty minutes
2 goals screening goalie

I think passes (good, bad) and calling for bad passes account for things as well. I don't know how much penalties and faceoffs factor in, because there are some games where I get destroyed and lose like 90% of them and still get an A

edit - can't believe EA still doesn't tell you WHAT you unlocked.

I usually don't get passed to much so maybe that has something to do with it? My volume of passes isn't high, especially since I'm seemingly slower so when I do get it I have to dump a lot. If my dumping is what's hurting me then that is incredibly stupid.

RS4-

Can't be dumping or else I'd have bad grades too. I don't think EA ever bothered explaining what it takes to get grades, even if it looks obvious but it isn't.

Anyway, bad timing on some stuff when we try to screen; I've inadvertently blocked some point shots and then when I move away from the screen, the shot comes and the goalie has clean line of sight :lol

I think calling for bad passes in general, from the AI or your mates brings it down, especially if you're just mashing on it. So until EA says something, it's all speculation.

I'll probably be back on in a bit. I'll post before I do

RS4- said:
Can't be dumping or else I'd have bad grades too. I don't think EA ever bothered explaining what it takes to get grades, even if it looks obvious but it isn't.

Anyway, bad timing on some stuff when we try to screen; I've inadvertently blocked some point shots and then when I move away from the screen, the shot comes and the goalie has clean line of sight :lol

I think calling for bad passes in general, from the AI or your mates brings it down, especially if you're just mashing on it. So until EA says something, it's all speculation.

I'll probably be back on in a bit. I'll post before I do

I like literally never call for the puck so I don't think that's it or maybe that's what hurting me? This whole thing is so confusing.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Teamplay also magically goes up as your team does well, I was once kicked out of a game 5 mins into the 1st. In the end my Teamplay rating was higher than what it was after the 1st period.

My overall Teamplay rating is A-. I find it seems to be pretty accurate in that if I feel I'm playing well I have a good rating, and if I feel I'm playing like shit I get a horrible one :lol

RS4- said:

there's not much you can do about that except make sure you are holding the LT trigger to face up and ready for the screen, your gonna get hit more times than not in any game unless the shooter is really precise with seeing shooting lanes which you rarely have time to do

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I have really enjoyed playing defense for the team so far. I've never been great at scoring in the game but if I can get the point shot through it's usually just enough to force a sexy rebound.

I also pretty much gave up on checking for the most part, I just try to focus more on being in the lanes and staying infront of the shooter. The stats only show that I blocked 1 shot so far but one of our games last night I blocked 3 or 4 in a row during that 5 on 3 penalty kill we had.

bumpkin

zsswimmer said:
These fucking douches faceoff glitched after they got a penalty. Of course, we get a penalty. Oh well, good thing I smashed his face in two times in a row now. I'm sure I'll do it a third time, you'll have some catching up to do Marvie :D

edit: Then they quit after we scored again and I demolished one of their dudes in a fight
Yeah man, those were some wild games. I was laughing so hard when that team quit after you smashed his player's face in a few times. :lol

We really started to get somewhat into a groove near the end of one of the games. I was actually proud of myself for trying a really aggressive play -- approaching the net, faking the slapshot, and then passing across the crease for the shot opportunity. I tend to stray from those sorts of plays simply because I find I get poke checked far too often.

And WTF was with the checks that sent me head over heels not garnering penalties? That shit is definitely not legal in real hockey.

bumpkin said:
Yeah man, those were some wild games. I was laughing so hard when that team quit after you smashed his player's face in a few times. :lol

We really started to get somewhat into a groove near the end of one of the games. I was actually proud of myself for trying a really aggressive play -- approaching the net, faking the slapshot, and then passing across the crease for the shot opportunity. I tend to stray from those sorts of plays simply because I find I get poke checked far too often.

And WTF was with the checks that sent me head over heels not garnering penalties? That shit is definitely not legal in real hockey.

They probably just assume everyone is Niklas Kronwall. :lol

Playoffs start tonight at 8pm EST, who's up for making a miracle run to the September Championship?
or more likely one and done...

Would be nice to get a team of 5 together

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
Playoffs start tonight at 8pm EST, who's up for making a miracle run to the September Championship?

Would we even qualify for the playoffs? We're not at NFC West team. :lol

Marvie_3 said:
Would we even qualify for the playoffs? We're not at NFC West team. :lol

everyone makes the playoffs from what I've gathered, here's what I've been able to dig up

- As long as your team has played at least 1 EASHL game in the given month you are considred to be in the playoffs
- During the playoffs the servers will be seperate in such a way that Elite will on play elite, pro vs pro and amateur vs amateur
- During the 4 days deemed playoffs, any team that loses (Disconnected or otherwise), is eliminated and put back to the regular servers
- During the playoffs any team that wins 4 consecutive games will be deemed month champions (every team that qualifies will be placed in a 16 team bracket, brackets will be populated march madness style via the regular season standings, worst against first, 2nd worst against 2nd place, etc...)

EA put out a "Playoffs" blog recently, but it doesn't contain a whole lot of info relevant to our team...
http://www.easports.com/blogs/inthecrease/post/slug/let-the-eashl-playoffs-begin

Marvie_3

Banned
- During the playoffs the servers will be seperate in such a way that Elite will on play elite, pro vs pro and amateur vs amateur
They should fucking have this anyway. I hate playing these cockbiters that bought all their boosts and do nothing but cheese hockey the whole game. You should still be able to move between divisions but you play teams from your division only and move up if you win a lot or move down if you play like us.

If we play only amateur teams, we may have a chance though! :D

Edit: I promise not to play goalie during the playoffs as well. :lol

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
This intrigues me as we have a chance here!

Let's do this, I can forsee some epic photoshop championships coming from this.

I guess I'll be on too to play in the playoffs. I should be doing homework though. :(

It sucks I only need 9 more games until my next card too. Hopefully I bring teamplay up enough to get a B- overall.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
TheVisualizer said:

The Jets are on tonight, but if you need a D-Man, hit me up on AIM (Magnoggin)

RS4-

Yeah, I got to choose a position, then the room emptied, then it took me to the ready screen and I was solo :lol

lol playoffs button and play now same screen :|

Top Bottom