• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

i'm so not getting the legend card this year. it seems like i'll be permanently stuck on position and stats at like A or A- with teamplay being C or C+ at the highest, B- if I suck a dick :(

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:
i'm so not getting the legend card this year. it seems like i'll be permanently stuck on position and stats at like A or A- with teamplay being C or C+ at the highest, B- if I suck a dick :(
I have a feeling that you and I can get them.....legit. ;)

ph33nix said:

I imagine it's probably pretty hard for forwards to keep consistently high ratings. I've found getting good ratings with defensemen is a lot easier as you get to make free accurate passes back in your own end when you are getting the attack started, you get to hit a lot of people and not be counted as out of position and on offense you just stand in 1 spot most of the time along the wall or in the center of the blue line

Here are some random highlights I finally got around to uploading of my offline escapades:

Gift From the CPU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSAeYa0nrdo

Nice Cycle & Ridiculous Goal
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-VYRakiiVo

No Look Swat Miss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ASSABkmsPY

Nice Kick Deke Finish
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJKdifBl-sg

Sweet No Look Saucer Pass
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vl9TxjAX__M

I gotta find a way to cut down on turnovers too, I can excuse myself for some of the weird passes that I don't see coming from my guy but I've been practicing my deking and stuff (in case the guys last night couldn't tell lol) and that's sorta screwed with my stats, but at the same time in one game I had a B for team play because "Nice moves out there"

zsswimmer

I'll probably never get my legends card in this game. Had like 500 games last year but was stuck on superstar cuz of the stats rating. Maybe playing more on club this year will help.

RS4-

I'm finding it pretty easy to get grades but...I don't think I have Live long enough to reach Legend; I think my script is finished on the 6th and I've got maybe 25 games left :lol

RS4- said:
I'm finding it pretty easy to get grades but...I don't think I have Live long enough to reach Legend; I think my script is finished on the 6th and I've got maybe 25 games left :lol

Did you ever find the answer from your friend? :(

bumpkin

The Visualizer said:
Nice highlights, man. The second one is indeed ridiculous; talk about working the puck around the zone for a good shooting opportunity.

I think I'm something like 11 games away from getting my Pro card, but yeah, I doubt I'll ever get any of the cards that require a B or above rating. I'm slowly getting better at various aspects of my game, but the slew of learning curve games in my record more or less drags my ratings into the gutter. I'm currently averaging a C+.

So will any of you gents be online this evening? If so, around what time? I can try to pop on and play some games.

bumpkin said:
Nice highlights, man. The second one is indeed ridiculous; talk about working the puck around the zone for a good shooting opportunity.

I think I'm something like 11 games away from getting my Pro card, but yeah, I doubt I'll ever get any of the cards that require a B or above rating. I'm slowly getting better at various aspects of my game, but the slew of learning curve games in my record more or less drags my ratings into the gutter. I'm currently averaging a C+.

So will any of you gents be online this evening? If so, around what time? I can try to pop on and play some games.

thanx for the props on the videos, good news is that you can drag the rating up, its not totally cumulative, its more of a hot and cold thing, as before the tuner updates fixed the team play scoring I couldn't get above a C+ in teamplay to save my life and I put in probably over 60 games like this and still got my legend card at exactly 150 so there's hope.

I'll be on tonight probably anytime after 6pm EST. Here are a few critiques of your game to pay attention to. Try these tonight and see if it helps your positioning and teamplay ratings.

#1- You've gotten a lot better since your 1st club game but you still gotta work on staying onsides, just be patient and keep an eye on the puckhandler at all times when you are moving up the ice.

#2- As the center one of your responsibilities is to transition the team from defense to offense, once we get possession the puck in our defensive zone you should immediately be going to the center of the ice below the defensive blue line and make yourself available for the first outlet pass. This tip goes for anyone playing center, as I notice no one that plays C does this.

#3- Going along with point #2, you should be receiving the 1st pass on offense unless someone else is a better option wide open up the wing, your next job is to move up the ice into the neutral zone and look to pass before the offensive blueline to the best option to get us into the zone. If both of the wingers are covered then you take it in yourself. Right now you like to try to take it in yourself almost every time. You are the facilitator on offense as center, the wingers are usually the finishers, let your goals come to you, don't try to force them.

#4- If for some reason you aren't the first to get the puck on offense you need to fill in your lane correctly in the neutral zone, wingers should be going to their respective sides and you to middle of the ice normally. If one of the wingers decides to move up center ice instead you should be moving over the his wall and taking his spot on the wing so everything is spaced out properly. I notice you crowd the wingers unnecessarily sometimes. If they are on the wall, you go to the middle and vice versa. Read and react each time, the blue arrow for positioning should be letting you know when and where to move without the puck in these cases.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Vis,

Your contributions to this team are greatly appreciated. You really have helped my game (I think) and certainly have helped others. If I could, I would buy you a beer.

I have softball tonight but I may be on around 1030EST if the MNF game sucks.

I am tempted to get NBA 2K11 but I suck at NBA games. I need someone to mentor me. The fact Jordan is in the game is what is really tempting me. If I could play with the great teams of the 80s (Hawks, Celtics, Lakers) I would be there for sure. Maybe 2K12.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I got a Madden league game tonight at around 9pm after I'm done with that I can log on just give me a shout or better yet I'll just pop in the game and see if anyone is online.

denogg I'm the same as you I'm tempted to get 2k11, it looks absolutely incredible but I haven't played an NBA game since 2004 and that was Live. I'm in for a hurting from this one.

DenogginizerOS said:
Vis,

Your contributions to this team are greatly appreciated. You really have helped my game (I think) and certainly have helped others. If I could, I would buy you a beer.

I have softball tonight but I may be on around 1030EST if the MNF game sucks.

I am tempted to get NBA 2K11 but I suck at NBA games. I need someone to mentor me. The fact Jordan is in the game is what is really tempting me. If I could play with the great teams of the 80s (Hawks, Celtics, Lakers) I would be there for sure. Maybe 2K12.

Thanx brother, just doing what I can. I'm just grateful to be part of the team, it's been a lot more fun than playing randoms in online VS play which is what I did the past couple years.

Can't help you with NBA2K tho, it's the only sports game I suck at too. :lol I kind of gave up on it 2 years ago as I didn't like how unresponsive the player movement was and how the lock-on defense worked. NHL and FIFA have been eating up all my time lately so I don't know if it's even worth buying 2K at this point, might wait till after the new year and pick it up in a B2G1 free deal at Best Buy, as I hear the controls are much improved.

DenogginizerOS

I loved games like One on One (Bird versus Dr. J), Double Dribble, NBA Jam, Arch Rivals, and even NBA Street. I could play those all day. I would LOVE a league that has those games. I would play that all the time.

Marvie_3

Banned
DenogginizerOS said:
I loved games like One on One (Bird versus Dr. J), Double Dribble, NBA Jam, Arch Rivals, and even NBA Street. I could play those all day. I would LOVE a league that has those games. I would play that all the time.
Pssht....real ballers played Jordan vs Bird and Tecmo NBA Basketball.

DenogginizerOS

Marvie_3 said:
Man, breaking the backboard on Bird versus Dr. J was so satisfying. I can remember plastering my buddy with that when we played on my Apple IIc.

bumpkin

TheVisualizer said:
#1- You've gotten a lot better since your 1st club game but you still gotta work on staying onsides, just be patient and keep an eye on the puckhandler at all times when you are moving up the ice.

#2- As the center one of your responsibilities is to transition the team from defense to offense, once we get possession the puck in our defensive zone you should immediately be going to the center of the ice below the defensive blue line and make yourself available for the first outlet pass. This tip goes for anyone playing center, as I notice no one that plays C does this.

#3- Going along with point #2, you should be receiving the 1st pass on offense unless someone else is a better option wide open up the wing, your next job is to move up the ice into the neutral zone and look to pass before the offensive blueline to the best option to get us into the zone. If both of the wingers are covered then you take it in yourself. Right now you like to try to take it in yourself almost every time. You are the facilitator on offense as center, the wingers are usually the finishers, let your goals come to you, don't try to force them.

#4- If for some reason you aren't the first to get the puck on offense you need to fill in your lane correctly in the neutral zone, wingers should be going to their respective sides and you to middle of the ice normally. If one of the wingers decides to move up center ice instead you should be moving over the his wall and taking his spot on the wing so everything is spaced out properly. I notice you crowd the wingers unnecessarily sometimes. If they are on the wall, you go to the middle and vice versa. Read and react each time, the blue arrow for positioning should be letting you know when and where to move without the puck in these cases.
Thanks for the positive encouragement and the tips, Vis. Having a better idea of what I should be doing when I play C -- other than winning faceoffs -- will be very helpful when it comes to filling the role. This is definitely a learning experience for me in every sense of the word. I hadn't played any of EA's NHL games or any NHL game online with a team/club prior to NHL 11. Most of my hockey gaming over the years has been with titles like NHL Hitz 20-02 and NHL 2K9. This game is a whole different beast, for sure.

Kave_Man said:
I got a Madden league game tonight at around 9pm after I'm done with that I can log on just give me a shout or better yet I'll just pop in the game and see if anyone is online.

denogg I'm the same as you I'm tempted to get 2k11, it looks absolutely incredible but I haven't played an NBA game since 2004 and that was Live. I'm in for a hurting from this one.

You have a Madden game during Monday Night Football =/

Marvie_3 said:
Man, I love you. Tecmo NBA kept me occupied every few months when I'd get bored of Tecmo Super Bowl. I played as the fucking Jazz of all teams in that game... Hornacek draining 3s and Stockton feeding Malone was just om nom nom.

Marvie_3

Banned
SnakeswithLasers said:
Man, I love you. Tecmo NBA kept me occupied every few months when I'd get bored of Tecmo Super Bowl. I played as the fucking Jazz of all teams in that game... Hornacek draining 3s and Stockton feeding Malone was just om nom nom.
Fuck the Jazz. Only scrubs played with them.

I'm making my return to the team either tomorrow night or Wed. night. Finally got moved in an unpacked, everything situated the way it should be, and enough downtime from school and work. I need some hockey.

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:
Marvie, I'm really not a black guy despite some "things" I may have said in the past.
Oh I know, but you're the team's token black guy until we get an actual black guy on the team. So....

betpqd.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
Hardyboy1224 said:
u know whats funny thats one of our shows we watch every morning
The only reason I watched it one day was because the lead singer of The Aquabats is one of the creators. :lol

Kave_Man said:
Actual token black reporting for duty sir.
Welcome aboard.

You're relieved of your duties as token black guy, ph33nix.

gg's to Denogg, Zakkath, Marvie, bumpkin, & sefskillz

tough games tonight, our defense was awesome, but we were a little sloppy and unorganized in the offensive zone which cost us some good scoring chances

Marvie_3

Banned
We should have won more than 1 of those last 3 games. Couple of unnecessary losses there. We were a mess positioning wise. Too much chasing. Too much time bunched up. Really got us in trouble at times. I tried to move to open ice every chance I got but it seemed like nobody could make up their mind as to where they were going to play and we would get bunched up again.

Someone has to cut to the net/opposite side of the net if the puck is out on the wing. I had at least a dozen wide open passing lanes to the slot but there was never anyone there. Whoever is playing center should really be playing in the slot most of the time anyway. It was kinda frustrating after awhile. Also, when the puck is on the wing, the defenseman behind that wing should be covering the boards. A lot of times tonight, the opposing defense would completely collapse towards the puck carrier but the defenseman was out of position and there was no available pass back to the point which led to turnovers in the offensive zone.

I was also pretty rusty as well though. I hadn't played in almost 2 weeks so I was in a funk most of the night. Finally started to get back in a rhythm towards the end so I should play better from here on out......assuming the refs don't call me every fucking time I hit somebody. :lol

bumpkin

Marvie_3 said:
We should have won more than 1 of those last 3 games. Couple of unnecessary losses there. We were a mess positioning wise. Too much chasing. Too much time bunched up. Really got us in trouble at times. I tried to move to open ice every chance I got but it seemed like nobody could make up their mind as to where they were going to play and we would get bunched up again.

Someone has to cut to the net/opposite side of the net if the puck is out on the wing. I had at least a dozen wide open passing lanes to the slot but there was never anyone there. Whoever is playing center should really be playing in the slot most of the time anyway. It was kinda frustrating after awhile. Also, when the puck is on the wing, the defenseman behind that wing should be covering the boards. A lot of times tonight, the opposing defense would completely collapse towards the puck carrier but the defenseman was out of position and there was no available pass back to the point which led to turnovers in the offensive zone.

I was also pretty rusty as well though. I hadn't played in almost 2 weeks so I was in a funk most of the night. Finally started to get back in a rhythm towards the end so I should play better from here on out......assuming the refs don't call me every fucking time I hit somebody. :lol
I was playing center for two of the games last night... It seemed like every time I tried to hover in or around the slot, someone was always right there with me. At one point I just started trying to stay near the net to try and get second chance shots or maybe catch a quick pass for a wrister. Didn't really work out all that much.

In all honesty, I was really trying to follow some suggestions/advice from Vis and a good portion of the time was doing alright with it (I think?). There were a few times where someone was telling me to pass in the neutral zone and both guys always had somebody on 'em. It didn't seem like the best idea; though I suppose in hindsight, at most I got it into the attacking zone and threw up a shot that had no chance anyway. There was at least one goal scored on us where I didn't stick to a guy that was cutting to the net, and of course the fucker was the person who got the goal. Although our goalie being a retard didn't help; a human goalie would've never left such an opening with how the puck was moving.

The refs must've had a hair across their asses. Those calls you kept getting were complete bullshit. It was weird that two of them were almost identical situations, just as opposite ends of the ice.

Marvie_3

Banned
bumpkin said:
In all honesty, I was really trying to follow some suggestions/advice from Vis and a good portion of the time was doing alright with it (I think?). There were a few times where someone was telling me to pass in the neutral zone and both guys always had somebody on 'em.
If this is the case, just dump it in. Just try to let me know when you're dumping it so I can get a good jump on the puck. I'm fast enough to go get it. :D

bumpkin said:
The refs must've had a hair across their asses. Those calls you kept getting were complete bullshit. It was weird that two of them were almost identical situations, just as opposite ends of the ice.
The first one, after seeing the replay, was a penalty. I thought the guy had the puck but he didn't. The second one was bullshit because I know that guy had the puck. How the fuck do you get an interference penalty for hitting the guy with the puck? :lol

bumpkin said:
I was playing center for two of the games last night... It seemed like every time I tried to hover in or around the slot, someone was always right there with me. At one point I just started trying to stay near the net to try and get second chance shots or maybe catch a quick pass for a wrister. Didn't really work out all that much.

In all honesty, I was really trying to follow some suggestions/advice from Vis and a good portion of the time was doing alright with it (I think?). There were a few times where someone was telling me to pass in the neutral zone and both guys always had somebody on 'em. It didn't seem like the best idea; though I suppose in hindsight, at most I got it into the attacking zone and threw up a shot that had no chance anyway. There was at least one goal scored on us where I didn't stick to a guy that was cutting to the net, and of course the fucker was the person who got the goal. Although our goalie being a retard didn't help; a human goalie would've never left such an opening with how the puck was moving.

You did a good job doing all the things I asked you to work on

-Pretty sure you didn't go offsides even once
-You came back looking for the puck to start the offense
-I didn't notice a lot of bunching/crowding the wingers in the neutral zone
-You passed it before the blueline on a number of occasions, most notably on the play where you scored the goal following the shot to the net and cleaning up the garbage
-I didn't see the defensive mistake you're talking about, and I didn't think we really could have done much about any of the goals scored on us last night.

I was the one on the mic constantly asking you to move the puck (up,up,up). Keep doing all the things I mentioned before but look to move the puck up the ice quicker in the future. Like I said last night, Marvie's guy is really fast, and the faster you get the puck and get it out of your hands to an open winger the better chance we have of scoring an easy one on the break. You hesitated a bit passing a couple times where we had potential 1-on-1's or breakaway chances for wingers. As soon as you get the puck from the defensemen to start the offense immediately look up the ice and think pass.

The offensive zone stuff was a clusterfuck that was everyone's fault, for not spacing properly, not cutting to the net, not setting screens, not getting to the boards to give the puck carrier an outlet. That's the most difficult part of playing a team game, especially as a forward. What I like to do playing as a center is:

-if the puck goes along the wall to a winger go position yourself almost behind the net along the boards and look for a pass. If the winger starts moving towards you go around behind the net and quickly position yourself directly in front of the net looking for a pass from the winger.

-if the puck gets passed back to the defenseman at the point immediately go to the front of the net and try to screen the goalie. Screens seem to work best if you are out a couple feet in front of the goalie, almost inbetween the faceoff dots. This gives the puck time to redirect if you get a piece of it and also leaves you far enough out to not miss juicy rebounds that might bounce past you if you are right up on the goalie.

-When setting screens hold down the LT button (vision control) to "face up" your guy so he sees the puck coming. You want to be inbetween the shooter and goalie and moving slightly back and forth as standing completely still will just make your guy block the shot
off his own body most of the time.

In closing... don't worry about Marvie's bitching, if he wouldn't have missed open breakaway chances and been in the penalty box all game long we might have won more last night :D

bumpkin

TheVisualizer said:
You did a good job doing all the things I asked you to work on

I was the one on the mic constantly asking you to move the puck (up,up,up). Keep doing all the things I mentioned before but look to move the puck up the ice quicker in the future. Like I said last night, Marvie's guy is really fast, and the faster you get the puck and get it out of your hands to an open winger the better chance we have of scoring an easy one on the break. You hesitated a bit passing a couple times where we had potential 1-on-1's or breakaway chances for wingers. As soon as you get the puck from the defensemen to start the offense immediately look up the ice and think pass.

The offensive zone stuff was a clusterfuck that was everyone's fault, for not spacing properly, not cutting to the net, not setting screens, not getting to the boards to give the puck carrier an outlet. That's the most difficult part of playing a team game, especially as a forward. What I like to do playing as a center is:

In closing... don't worry about Marvie's bitching, if he wouldn't have missed open breakaway chances and been in the penalty box all game long we might have won more last night :D
Thanks, Vis. I'll keep your additional suggestions in mind when I play and continue to work on it. In the cases where I hesitated, sometimes it's tough not to hesitate. Especially when passes even remotely near a defender's stick always seem to get deflected/picked-off. The poke check loves to be potent when it's not in my favor. :lol

I was actually surprised I got that goal off the rebound. In a few of the situations where I actually had a moment to think before I shot, I was just trying to get good placement; if the goalie was closer to the right, trying to shoot for the far left. One particular shot actually had a super juicy rebound and a practically wide-open net, but nobody was close enough to capitalize.

As a team, we definitely do much better when everyone on the ice is manned by an actual person. The AI player(s) are always complete retards. There was a time in the second game where the puck was sent sliding towards the neutral zone, close enough where if the AI player had made the effort, it could've stopped it and kept the offense going. Instead it just let it slide by.

Have we ever had someone playing as the goalie? Our AI goalies seem to either be really on or completely off.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
:lol

bumpkin said:
Have we ever had someone playing as the goalie? Our AI goalies seem to either be really on or completely off.
No......

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
LiveWire said:
Sounds like I need to come back in and regulate. I apologize for being gone, soccer and football have pulled me away.

I have also been focusing on football after getting PUMPED in my last league game. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Yo Viz, sorry that practice was a mess. I was having trouble hearing you so it took me a bit to figure out what you were trying to do each time. Gotta take a nap before work but I'll be up for some more practice after I get home (~10:30EST)

bumpkin

Marvie_3 said:
Yo Viz, sorry that practice was a mess. I was having trouble hearing you so it took me a bit to figure out what you were trying to do each time. Gotta take a nap before work but I'll be up for some more practice after I get home (~10:30EST)
I don't think I've ever caught you guys when you were practicing. Is it a regular thing? I can try to get online around the same time.

DenogginizerOS

I thought my ricochet goal was pretty awesome last night...just as I planned it....

I tweaked my player's abilities to try and improve passing. The one pass that I made to Marvie that led to his goal in my last game was more of a rarity than the norm. Hopefully tonight I can continue to make improvements.

I felt my D was pretty good last night. I am trying to make a conscious effort to cover the boards more when we have the puck in the zone. Hopefully, that will give the wingers some pass-out possibilities.

Marvie_3 said:

thats alright, couldn't hear you either :lol Well have to party chat next time we practice. You seemed to get the gist of what I was trying to do. Just trying to add some more wrinkles to our 2 man game.

bumpkin said:
I don't think I've ever caught you guys when you were practicing. Is it a regular thing? I can try to get online around the same time.

Nah its not a regular thing, that's probably the 2nd time I've ever been in EASHL practice mode, we tried before the playoff game in September and it wouldn't even work. I just wanted to work on 2 things for my benefit and Marvie happened to be online. I'm trying to add the windup slapshot one-timer into my arsenal and I needed someone to feed me passes while I was setup. I also wanted to show Marvie this little drop pass "play" he can use to set up the defensemen with a good shot as we are coming into the zone.

I also captured some replays on my own playing around in solo practice mode for ideas for our powerplay, I'm uploading them now and will have a little writeup later tonight.

Zakkath

TheVisualizer said:
gg's to Denogg, Zakkath, Marvie, bumpkin, & sefskillz

tough games tonight, our defense was awesome, but we were a little sloppy and unorganized in the offensive zone which cost us some good scoring chances

Lag cost me 3 goals, but I might have found the issue. I'm gonna have to get a new router.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
yea i was lagging pretty hard last night too. had a lot of fun though, we were a mess offensively but i thought we had some strong stretches of play, just couldn't convert them to goals *shrug*. im still pretty new so hopefully ill get a better flow going

drinking and watching baseball tonight, but ill keep an eye on this thread and hop on if we get some games going

Top Bottom