• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

The man upstairs didn't want us to win tonight...

I played shitty all around, sorry for costing us a couple goals, and props to those stuck around and tried their best to get us a W

Marvie_3

Banned
Played 4 drop in games today. Had a total of 22 points in them and only had one grade lower than an A in any category in any of the games. If I can keep that pace up for the next 29 or so games, the legend card will be mine! :D

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
TheVisualizer said:
The man upstairs didn't want us to win tonight...

I played shitty all around, sorry for costing us a couple goals, and props to those stuck around and tried their best to get us a W
I tried to stick around for one more. I got my next card and was fixing my player. But yeah, it just wasn't meant to be last night.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Felt like I contributed way more on d last night than I have on offense period. Maybe I should consider a permanent switch :/

Last night when I played C I actually tried and sometimes it wasn't working out. That's why I started doing the physical-faceoff thing. Aside from that I thought it was just kinda messy, just not our night.

Oh, and that one goal where I scored right after the buzzer sounded totally sucked. Could've had 2 goals in 5 seconds!

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
ph33nix said:
Oh, and that one goal where I scored right after the buzzer sounded totally sucked. Could've had 2 goals in 5 seconds!
That was awesome, sooo close. The waived off goal sucked too

DenogginizerOS said:
I am tempted to try and play some offense, but I think I am needed more on D at this point.

I wouldn't mind switching off once in a while I think we should all get a piece of the offensive pie. My problem is that I am naturally too aggressive on D (I love big hits) so that I gamble and it costs us. But I can try...

Also, I'm starting to think we shouldn't try passing anymore through a defender to the front of the net (unless it really is wide open) too many times has it been intercepted and I know I am guilty of this sometimes because I do think there's an opening I can slip it through...but more times than not it fails. Those passes usually come best from behind the net IMO.

I think if I'm carrying the puck up the left side, I'd rather have one guy behind me as an option to pass to (Vis is always in the perfect spot) or, if I need to, I can have a guy in the middle-ish area and then the other wingman should be on the opposite side, ready to receive a pass on the board. A lot of times I'd try to pass it behind the net via boards but nobody would be there. This might help our efficiency.

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:
Also, I'm starting to think we shouldn't try passing anymore through a defender to the front of the net (unless it really is wide open) too many times has it been intercepted and I know I am guilty of this sometimes because I do think there's an opening I can slip it through...but more times than not it fails. Those passes usually come best from behind the net IMO.

I think if I'm carrying the puck up the left side, I'd rather have one guy behind me as an option to pass to (Vis is always in the perfect spot) or, if I need to, I can have a guy in the middle-ish area and then the other wingman should be on the opposite side, ready to receive a pass on the board. A lot of times I'd try to pass it behind the net via boards but nobody would be there. This might help our efficiency.
we all know you cant pass. this post is meaningless. :lol

bumpkin

Marvie_3 said:
we all know you cant pass. this post is meaningless. :lol
Ouch. :lol

Sorry I couldn't get online last night, guys... Although it doesn't sound like I'd have made the difference. Did the games not go very well?

bumpkin said:
Ouch. :lol

Sorry I couldn't get online last night, guys... Although it doesn't sound like I'd have made the difference. Did the games not go very well?

we got shat on like 8 games in a row, and the last one when we finally put up a fight we got a good goal waved off and one that trickled in 0.1 seconds after the 2nd period ended. Demoralizing losses.

zsswimmer

I should be on later tonight around 11 or so. My internet is so shitty at night in earlier parts of the week (dunno why) that I can never get on :(. So I'm looking forward to getting some games in tonight.

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:
Where's my no-look pass for the game winner? Don't hate!
Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds an acorn. :lol

Not sure if I'll be on after the Blackhawks game tonight or not. Parents are going to be in town this weekend so I might not be on much then either.

zsswimmer

GGs dave, vis, zakkath. Dave and I started out with a win but got some ugly losses and finally wrapped up with a win. I feel like theres a bit too much offense zone turnovers but I played like shit too.

I couldn't hit anyone, the refs were raping my ass, I couldn't check anyone after the play, and noone would fucking fight me. I was raging there for a bit :lol , so Im glad we got that 2-0 win and a good scrap win as well :D

zsswimmer said:
GGs dave, vis, zakkath. Dave and I started out with a win but got some ugly losses and finally wrapped up with a win. I feel like theres a bit too much offense zone turnovers but I played like shit too.

I couldn't hit anyone, the refs were raping my ass, I couldn't check anyone after the play, and noone would fucking fight me. I was raging there for a bit :lol , so Im glad we got that 2-0 win and a good scrap win as well :D

yeah GG's, all 3 of you guys really stepped up your games in that last game that we dominated

I think I've got a feel for how most of you play now and see some areas I might be able to help some of you improve in. I'm gonna capture some videos in the next couple days and put together an epic post to help everyone out some time in the next week or so.

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
yeah GG's, all 3 of you guys really stepped up your games in that last game that we dominated

I think I've got a feel for how most of you play now and see some areas I might be able to help some of you improve in. I'm gonna capture some videos in the next couple days and put together an epic post to help everyone out some time in the next week or so.
0.0 That'd be awesome!

bumpkin

TheVisualizer said:

Yeah, some additional advice would be nice. I'll be the first to admit that I was completely out of my Center groove last night; it felt like we spent so much damn time playing defense that I was just not in "the mode" when we finally got possession. I completely lost my cool in the final minutes of the third game I played with Zakkath and swimmer; tried to pick a fight with the jackass who kept checking me after the whistle and the pussy wouldn't throw down, so I got 2 for roughing and he got off scott-free.

Zakkath

I'll post my stats later, maybe you can advise me on which ones to improve. I made a playmaker, but I might switch to sniper, cause I'm having way too much trouble putting the puck in the net on shots that SHOULD have gone it.

I finally changed my router yesterday and that fixed my latency issue. I haven't had any lag at all last night and it showed. I should be much more useful from now on. We really need to work on keeping our position though. We're all over the place sometimes.

Some things I need help with :

-I hit like a girl. My checks are very weak.
-I can't seem to grab loose pucks while others just grab everything that comes close to them (offensive awareness ?)
-My passes seem to be weak even though I have good Pass rating. I'm a playmaker after all.
-Anyone know of a guide that explains the effects of every slider ?

Marvie_3

Banned
Zakkath said:
Some things I need help with :

-I hit like a girl. My checks are very weak.
moar points in checking, aggressiveness, and strength
Zakkath said:
-I can't seem to grab loose pucks while others just grab everything that comes close to them (offensive awareness ?)
moar points in hand-eye and offensive/defensive awareness
Zakkath said:
-My passes seem to be weak even though I have good Pass rating. I'm a playmaker after all.
hold the RT moar

Zakkath

My stats (Pro card):

Playmaker

Offense
----------------
Deking 86
Hand-Eye 88
Off. Awareness 89
Passing 92
Puck Control 84
SS Accuracy 60
SS Power 52
WS Accuracy 82
WS Power 72

Defense
-----------------
Aggressiveness 46
Body Checking 54
Def. Awareness 67
Discipline 70
Faceoffs 63
Fighting 40
Shot Blocking 76
Stick Checking 76

Athleticism
------------------
Acceleration 77
Agility 75
Balance 70
Durability 62 (does this have any use ? I don't see a fatigue meter in EASHL mode)
Endurance 61 (does this have any use ?)
Speed 81
Strenght 56

Btw, I found this stats calculator : http://bosoxmrkn.com/playercreator.html

Marvie_3

Banned
Zakkath said:
Durability 62 (does this have any use ? I don't see a fatigue meter in EASHL mode)
Endurance 61 (does this have any use ?)
Both of those do. Durability will keep you from getting those minor injuries and endurance helps you maintain higher speeds and keeps your guy from slowing down at the end of periods.

I have an exam in about 5 mins but after that I'll post a quick guide on the attributes.

Zakkath

New build :

Playmaker

Offense
----------------
Deking 90
Hand-Eye 88
Off. Awareness 80+5
Passing 90
Puck Control 85
SS Accuracy 65
SS Power 57
WS Accuracy 83+3
WS Power 70

Defense
-----------------
Aggressiveness 50
Body Checking 55
Def. Awareness 70
Discipline 70
Faceoffs 60
Fighting 40
Shot Blocking 71
Stick Checking 76

Athleticism
------------------
Acceleration 74
Agility 78+3
Balance 74
Durability 65
Endurance 69
Speed 74
Strenght 60+1

Boosts
------
Stick : Off. Awareness +5
Skate : Agility +3
Helmet: Wrist Shot Accuracy +3
Glove : Strenght +1

Zak, here's my advice on your ratings:

-You need more points in Puck Control, I think it's the most important offensive rating, Passing is second. With your build I would take points from Hand-Eye. Not sure what the Playmaker defaults to but I wouldn't waste any points on Slapshot Power or Acc, it's better to choose either or with that or the Wrist Shot and load up. If you have any points in Slapshot move them elsewhere.

-Unless you are a goon (zswimmer :D ) or overly physical player (RS4 and Zaraki), I wouldn't spend any points on Aggressiveness. You can't hit because your Body Checking rating is too low. Take all of your points off Shot Blocking and Aggressiveness and add them to Body Checking and try to get it up to 75-80. The Shot Blocking rating is pretty useless in this game, I'll elaborate another time , but just know that you really shouldn't been diving on the ice very often anyway.

-Your athleticism ratings are fine, If strength defaults to a 50 for a playmaker then I take those 6 points away and put them on Endurance instead. 56 Strength is really not much better than 50, you will benefit more with the increase in Endurance. I would also take any points away from Durability and add them to Endurance also, unless you notice you are getting injured often. I have like a 50 or 60 Durability rating and I've only been injured twice in 150+ games...

As far as your other problems:

-Adding those points to Body Checking will solve your hitting problems

-Loose pucks are just part of the game, your ratings aren't killing you there, just have to take extra time making sure your guy picked up the puck before you starting moving with it, it's part of the game.

-For your passing it's pressure sensitive, you have to find the right touch holding down the RT trigger, but know that fully charging it will cause guys to bobble your passes everytime unless they have awesome hand-eye ratings. If you charge a pass too long, remember that you can "cancel" it instead of forcing a bad pass by pressing LB.

Marvie_3

Banned
Zakkath said:
New build
Take those points out of deking and learn to use the RS to move the puck around guys. Those attribute points are better off spent elsewhere.

TheVisualizer said:
-Unless you are a goon (zswimmer ) or overly physical player (RS4 and Zaraki)
You spelled Marvie and zswimmer wrong. We average way more hits per game than those two. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
My (halfassed) guide to ratings:

Offense

Deking - Ability to pull off dekes and maintain control of the puck
Hand-Eye - Ability to pick up loose pucks and intercept pucks
Off. Awareness - Similar to hand-eye, players ability to control passes in the offensive zone
Passing - self-explanatory
Puck Control - ability to maintain control of the puck after being hit, loose pucks, or quick motions
SS Accuracy - self-explanatory
SS Power - self-explanatory
WS Accuracy - self-explanatory
WS Power - self-explanatory

Defense

Aggressiveness - higher aggression increases checking power, effects of intimidation on opponents
Body Checking - self-explanatory
Def. Awareness - ability of your player to intercept passes and pick up loose pucks in the defensive zone
Discipline - high discipline means your player takes fewer arbitrary penalties (elbowing, etc)
Faceoffs - self-explanatory
Fighting - self-explanatory
Shot Blocking - self-explanatory
Stick Checking - easier to stick/poke check the puck away from opponents

Athleticism

Acceleration - self-explanatory
Agility - self-explanatory
Balance - ability to resist checks, less blown out tires
Durability - ability to resist minor injuries during a game
Endurance - player maintains higher top speed longer, doesn't tire as easily at the end of periods
Speed - self-explanatory
Strength - increases checking and shot power

Marvie_3 said:
Take those points out of deking and learn to use the RS to move the puck around guys. Those attribute points are better off spent elsewhere.

I don't know about this, Zak is one of the few players that knows how to use the loose puck dekes pretty effectively. I wouldn't drop deking too much if he wants to keep on using them with success.

Marvie_3 said:
You spelled Marvie and zswimmer wrong. We average way more hits per game than those two. :lol

You're right...with all the trips to the penalty box you take, I'd say you qualify for goon status too, sorry for leaving you out of that exclusive club :D

Zakkath

Endurance doesn't seem very useful. So what if I get an injury, I'll be back on the ice right after... unless that affects your stats for the rest of the game.

I'm not dropping Deking :) I have a nice move to pass the D from left to right when I move into offensive zone. But thanks for the advice, I was thinking about dropping slap shot acc and power since I pretty much always use WS anyway.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
I don't know about this, Zak is one of the few players that knows how to use the loose puck dekes pretty effectively. I wouldn't drop deking too much if he wants to keep on using them with success.
I guess I haven't played with him enough. I played around with deking and didn't really notice a difference no matter how many points I put in it.

TheVisualizer said:
You're right...with all the trips to the penalty box you take, I'd say you qualify for goon status too, sorry for leaving you out of that exclusive club :D
Not my fault the refs are scared I'll dominate the game too much and put me in the box in an attempt to control me. :D

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:

Goons 4 lyfe.

Yeah I'm curious about the endurance and durability stats. Are they any useful at all?

Zakkath said:
Endurance doesn't seem very useful. So what if I get an injury, I'll be back on the ice right after... unless that affects your stats for the rest of the game.

I'm not dropping Deking :) I have a nice move to pass the D from left to right when I move into offensive zone. But thanks for the advice, I was thinking about dropping slap shot acc and power since I pretty much always use WS anyway.

Durability controls injury resistance and yes your stats drop a lot for the rest of the game, but like I said it doesn't happen often enough to warrant dumping points into it, unless you notice you are getting injured a lot.

Endurance controls fatigue, which is good for keeping your speed from dropping a lot on long shifts and for recovering your normal top speed faster after using the speed burst button (clicking the left stick like a button 3 times).

Marvie_3

Banned
Zakkath said:
Endurance is a lot more noticeable if your player is as fast as mine. If I overuse the hustle button, my player tanks towards the end of the period.

Zakkath said:
I don't put any points into slap shots either. Slap shots aren't that useful unless you're playing defense.

zsswimmer said:
Goons 4 lyfe.

Yeah I'm curious about the endurance and durability stats. Are they any useful at all?
*high-five* We're like Portman and Fulton.

Endurance yes, durability no.

Zakkath

So, final build is :

Playmaker

Offense
----------------
Deking 90
Hand-Eye 90
Off. Awareness 85+5
Passing 90
Puck Control 89
SS Accuracy 60
SS Power 50
WS Accuracy 83+3
WS Power 69

Defense
-----------------
Aggressiveness 52
Body Checking 55
Def. Awareness 70
Discipline 70
Faceoffs 60
Fighting 40
Shot Blocking 71
Stick Checking 75

Athleticism
------------------
Acceleration 75
Agility 79+3
Balance 76
Durability 60
Endurance 70
Speed 75
Strenght 50+1

Boosts
------

I'll see how this goes. I can't really do much better than this until I unlock the next card.

Also, what are good ways to improve the team play rating ? I should be fine to get an overall B rating for superstar, but unless I improve this stats, I won't get the legend card.

zsswimmer

edit: New stats with Tough Guy boost pack combo

Player Type: Tough Guy D-Man

Offense:

Deking:70
Hand Eye: 72
Off. Awareness: 70
Passing: 75
Puck Control: 75
SS Accuracy: 70
SS Power: 90
WS Accuracy: 62
WS Power: 84

Defense:

Aggressiveness: 99
Body Checking: 99
Def. Awareness: 96
Discipline: 70
Faceoffs: 75
Fighting Skill: 94
Shot Blocking: 70
Stick Checking: 75

Athleticism:

Acceleration: 75
Agility: 80
Balance: 80
Durability: 80
Endurance: 76
Speed: 91
Strength: 94

I <3 boost packs

Zakkath said:
So, final build is :

Playmaker

Offense
----------------
Deking 90
Hand-Eye 90
Off. Awareness 85+5
Passing 90
Puck Control 89
SS Accuracy 60
SS Power 50
WS Accuracy 83+3
WS Power 69

Defense
-----------------
Aggressiveness 52
Body Checking 55
Def. Awareness 70
Discipline 70
Faceoffs 60
Fighting 40
Shot Blocking 71
Stick Checking 75

Athleticism
------------------
Acceleration 75
Agility 79+3
Balance 76
Durability 60
Endurance 70
Speed 75
Strenght 50+1

Boosts
------

I'll see how this goes. I can't really do much better than this until I unlock the next card.

Also, what are good ways to improve the team play rating ? I should be fine to get an overall B rating for superstar, but unless I improve this stats, I won't get the legend card.

If I were you I would see what you can build with the Two Way Forward build, I think that's the best one overall (I use it when I play Center) cuz right now you have absolutely no points to work with on defense with the Playmaker build. I was able to get similar offensive stats with the Two Way Build and the defensive stats they start you with are godly.

To improve team play, make sure you are unselfish passing the puck, you also have to make sure you focus on being accurate and make each pass count to cut down on turnovers. This along with checking people is what started to get me great teamplay ratings, I couldn't get above C+ without adding hitting to my game.

oh yeah, nice boosts zzswimmer, you better not ever lose another fight :D You should go with the full cage mask too, I don't think it effects fighting but I haven't seen anyone knocked out wearing one yet.

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
If I were you I would see what you can build with the Two Way Forward build, I think that's the best one overall (I use it when I play Center) cuz right now you have absolutely no points to work with on defense with the Playmaker build. I was able to get similar offensive stats with the Two Way Build and the defensive stats they start you with are godly.

To improve team play, make sure you are unselfish passing the puck, you also have to make sure you focus on being accurate and make each pass count to cut down on turnovers. This along with checking people is what started to get me great teamplay ratings, I couldn't get above C+ without adding hitting to my game.

oh yeah, nice boosts zzswimmer, you better not ever lose another fight :D You should go with the full cage mask too, I don't think it effects fighting but I haven't seen anyone knocked out wearing one yet.
No visor or mask for me! I'm supposed to be the tough guy here, I've knocked out plenty of fools wearing a mask. Actually I'm going to edit some stats since the boost pack puts some stats already pretty damn high (like fighting at 94), so I'll spend some more points skill stuff.

Questoin though, if I put my attributes stats higher than the overall stats that the boost provided, they do go up to the level that I put it to right?

zsswimmer said:
Questoin though, if I put my attributes stats higher than the overall stats that the boost provided, they do go up to the level that I put it to right?

yeah thats right

but once you apply a boost pack I don't think you can edit your stats anymore, pretty sure they lock in to set numbers and you can't use any of your XP or boost equipment slots, at least that's how it worked for me when I tried using a boost pack awhile ago...

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
yeah thats right

but once you apply a boost pack I don't think you can edit your stats anymore, pretty sure they lock in to set numbers and you can't use any of your XP or boost equipment slots, at least that's how it worked for me when I tried using a boost pack awhile ago...
Nope, just edited them right now.

But it does work differently, For example:

Stock faceoff stats were at 50, with boost pack its 75. However, if you want it higher than 75 you have to spend the points like you would normally from 50 all the way to 76 or higher. So for a lot of my stats I kept them where the boosts had and used the extra points for better skill stats.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
This is what I use. I highly recommend it. :D

zsswimmer said:
Nope, just edited them right now.

But it does work differently, For example:

Stock faceoff stats were at 50, with boost pack its 75. However, if you want it higher than 75 you have to spend the points like you would normally from 50 all the way to 76 or higher. So for a lot of my stats I kept them where the boosts had and used the extra points for better skill stats.
You can't edit anything if you have a boost pack. You can apply the attribute points to your player but they don't do anything. If you notice the overall rating on the right side of the attribute screen, it doesn't change at all when a boost pack is used. You can put things at 99 and it won't change them.

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
This is what I use. I highly recommend it. :D

You can't edit anything if you have a boost pack. You can apply the attribute points to your player but they don't do anything. If you notice the overall rating on the right side of the attribute screen, it doesn't change at all when a boost pack is used. You can put things at 99 and it won't change them.
Oh shit. Well, I guess I gotta take it off then :( Do single boosts work the same way?

Top Bottom