• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

I just found out I have a 15 page paper due at midnight. Um...have fun, guys.

2433988124_2ef54a480a.jpg

our professor gave us until the midnight of the 31st to finish this paper. most other students, who are PHD and research students of some kind, finished it before holidays kicked off. of course my slacker ass forgot about all this shit and had to wait until the last minute :lol

so me saying "i just found out" is sort of a lie; it's more like "i just remembered"

with that said this is MY final GAF post until I finish this piece of shit

zsswimmer said:
So what time will we be playing tonight? And if pheenix is out does that mean you are going to play Vis or someone else?

pheenix wasn't on the starting team

game time is up to you guys since I wont be playing unless someone doesn't show, I proposed 8pm EST yesterday just to throw a time out there, but if you guys are all available earlier than that post in here and setup a time

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
pheenix wasn't on the starting team

game time is up to you guys since I wont be playing unless someone doesn't show, I proposed 8pm EST yesterday just to throw a time out there, but if you guys are all available earlier than that post in here and setup a time
8pm sounds good although I can play anytime

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:
our professor gave us until the midnight of the 31st to finish this paper. most other students, who are PHD and research students of some kind, finished it before holidays kicked off. of course my slacker ass forgot about all this shit and had to wait until the last minute :lol

so me saying "i just found out" is sort of a lie; it's more like "i just remembered"
This basically translates into "I was too high to remember it". :D

Are Schuey and Zaraki playing for sure? Otherwise Viz needs to stop being afraid and step into the lineup. :lol

i feel kind of responsible for derailing the team this month after i ragequit and refused to play for 2-3 weeks and also want to give some other players a chance to play in the playoffs. Maybe I should be in there but it sends the wrong message if the same people feel they deserve playoff spots every month. I want to keep everyone happy that we have and continue growing the team if possible rather than alienate people.

zaraki, sef and schuey have played and posted the most this month out of people that havent gotten a shot yet so I figured I would offer you guys a chance this month same way I did for others in previous months. Unfortunately scheduling conflicts came up for those I tried to give my spot to in previous months.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
i feel kind of responsible for derailing the team this month after i ragequit and refused to play for 2-3 weeks and also want to give some other players a chance to play in the playoffs. Maybe I should be in there but it sends the wrong message if the same people feel they deserve playoff spots every month. I want to keep everyone happy that we have and continue growing the team if possible rather than alienate people.

zaraki, sef and schuey have played and posted the most out of people that havent gotten a shot yet so I figured I would offer you guys a chance this month same way I did for others in previous months. Unfortunately scheduling conflicts came up for those I tried to give my spot to in previous months.
Considering you've played as many games as swim, Zaraki, and me combined, I'd say there's no one more deserving of a playoff roster spot than you. :lol

The team would have derailed for a bit anyway. I was working 40+ hours a week as well as going to school so I didn't have time to play either. Seemed like everyone else had something going on too.

Marvie_3 said:
Considering you've played as many games as swim, Zaraki, and me combined, I'd say there's no one more deserving of a playoff roster spot than you. :lol

The team would have derailed for a bit anyway. I was working 40+ hours a week as well as going to school so I didn't have time to play either. Seemed like everyone else had something going on too.

while all of that prob is true despite how much time I put into this team I'm not bigger than the team. Me not being out there hurts our chances a bit, but I'd like to keep everyone motivated so it doesnt permanently end up a 2 man club in February with just me and swimmer playing...

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
while all of that prob is true despite how much time I put into this team I'm not bigger than the team. Me not being out there hurts our chances a bit, but I'd like to keep everyone motivated so it doesnt permanently end up a 2 man club in February with just me and swimmer playing...
Considering I was the last man standing from last year's team until ph33nix made his grand return, I don't think I'm going anywhere. :D

Marvie_3 said:
This basically translates into "I was too high to remember it". :D

Actually you are right :lol :lol After school got "out" there were many days, when I didn't have to work, so I was basically a fucking bum and did nothing but smoke and eat and play games. Safe to say my little vacation is over :(

and if you guys need an alternate I might be available depending on what time you're on! I hope I can finish this fucking shit ASAP...my professor has to read like at least 40 of these within a week, I doubt he's going to give a shit, really :lol

ph33nix said:
Actually you are right :lol :lol After school got "out" there were many days, when I didn't have to work, so I was basically a fucking bum and did nothing but smoke and eat and play games. Safe to say my little vacation is over :(

and if you guys need an alternate I might be available depending on what time you're on! I hope I can finish this fucking shit ASAP...my professor has to read like at least 40 of these within a week, I doubt he's going to give a shit, really :lol

I'll turn on the Bat Signal tonight (AKA I'll post in here) if we need you, keep one eye on the sky

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:

Just half ass it. I do better on papers when I don't try. :lol

TheVisualizer said:
stop living in the past :D
Stop playing so early. :D

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
You mean like it was all during the fall :lol

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
TheVisualizer said:
you take my spot and ill go to alternate. i dont even have my 60 game card and im as clutch as a canuck in late april.

Hello Hockey Fans!

My brother received NHL 11 for his 360 for Christmas (from myself), and after a bit of playing, and small discussions with TheVisualizer, I am interested in participating in the GAF EASHL Team. Now, by trade I am a defender, but at this point, not a very good one, so I still plan on just doing drop-in hockey until I get a better sense of the style of play that exists on Xbox Live, and not in real life. I am getting better though, and I really hope there is more structure and positioning (passing) in club play, than exists in drop-in play. Please let me know what you all think, and if there is room for me!

My gamertag is the same as my avatar, and hopefully my 20+ years of real life hockey experience can translate somehow into success for my tenure on the GAF team. Thanks!

Marvie_3

Banned
sefskillz said:
you take my spot and ill go to alternate. i dont even have my 60 game card and im as clutch as a canuck in late april.
:lol

Awesome Animals said:
Hello Hockey Fans!

My brother received NHL 11 for his 360 for Christmas (from myself), and after a bit of playing, and small discussions with TheVisualizer, I am interested in participating in the GAF EASHL Team. Now, by trade I am a defender, but at this point, not a very good one, so I still plan on just doing drop-in hockey until I get a better sense of the style of play that exists on Xbox Live, and not in real life. I am getting better though, and I really hope there is more structure and positioning (passing) in club play, than exists in drop-in play. Please let me know what you all think, and if there is room for me!

My gamertag is the same as my avatar, and hopefully my 20+ years of real life hockey experience can translate somehow into success for my tenure on the GAF team. Thanks!
That's an excessive introduction for this team. :lol

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Pretty much. :lol If anyone remembers the end of the last thread it was like 5 pages of me asking if marvie would play and he said he would only to not show up. :D
Our team was dead by then. I didn't really want to play 2s either.

zsswimmer

Awesome Animals said:
Hello Hockey Fans!

Welcome! That's a lot of hockey experience, I'm sure once you get the controls and quirks out in the game your knowledge should transfer over well. Just curious, did you ever play professional hockey, 20 years is a pretty good while. And like Marvie said, No need for that nice of an intro, we are just a bunch of scrubs :D

alright sef, if that's your decision I'll take your spot tonight. If schuey doesnt show I'll slide back to dman, otherwise I'll play center

to Awesome Animals, sorry dude were an Elite team now, no noobs allowed...
just kidding, welcome aboard man!

zsswimmer said:
Welcome! That's a lot of hockey experience, I'm sure once you get the controls and quirks out in the game your knowledge should transfer over well. Just curious, did you ever play professional hockey, 20 years is a pretty good while. And like Marvie said, No need for that nice of an intro, we are just a bunch of scrubs :D

I wish, lol. My experience extends from youth hockey to high school to collegiate intramurals. I've been on skates since I was three though. And I like to be thorough, plus, you can ask TheVisualizer, once I start talking, it is hard for me to quit. :lol

do i smell a batcall?

i've decided, fuck this paper. i'll write a bit tonight but i am not submitting all this shit by 11 PM, will do tomorrow morning, fuck this shit

BUT if there's no spot its all cool and probably all for the better :lol

zsswimmer

ph33nix said:
do i smell a batcall?

i've decided, fuck this paper. i'll write a bit tonight but i am not submitting all this shit by 11 PM, will do tomorrow morning, fuck this shit

BUT if there's no spot its all cool and probably all for the better :lol
No we played tonight, lost 5-1 in the 1st round. Everyone rages :(

that 2nd game we played against the red wings was a playoff game too, game must have glitched and gave us a 2nd chance even tho both games counted

i wouldnt be too frustrated, reality is we barely ever play with a team of 4 or 5, we havent played very much in the past 2 weeks and we were in the elite division playoffs which meant we were gonna get matched up with a great team

i was optimistic we could tough a game or 2 out but we were obviously out classed in both games, it is what it is...

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I'll skip next playoffs. And Marvie, you only riding my nuts is getting old.
In those practice sessions we went over positioning a ton. You weren't in position, especially in regards to the other side of the net.

We all played like shit though. I couldn't even breathe on someone without getting a penalty. On that holding call, my player got locked into the animation and I couldn't get out of it at all.

And swim....the ragequitting, man. Sucks getting stuck with AI defensemen.

Marvie_3 said:
In those practice sessions we went over positioning a ton. You weren't in position, especially in regards to the other side of the net.

We all played like shit though. I couldn't even breathe on someone without getting a penalty. On that holding call, my player got locked into the animation and I couldn't get out of it at all.

Other people were definitely out of position multiple time besides me and you didn't say anything. You only bitched when it was me.

Marvie_3 said:

i didnt think zaraki's positioning was a problem, i remember twice he stayed on the wall just like i asked him to in practice. We barely got the puck across the blueline let alone had offensive chances where positioning was a factor. Only critique I have for Zaraki is he reacts way too slowly off every faceoff, you just stand there for a good 5 seconds frozen, i wanted to give you the benefit of the doubt but its been going on for awhile, not sure what's going on there.

their 2nd goal was garbage, me and swim were slighly out of position for the 3rd and the team D was too slow on the 4th one were dude scored on a slapper grom the slot. Combine that with two 1-on-1's sef could have scored and the 9 powerplays we had to kill and it wasnt that bad of an effort from us. The result might have been the same but we played a lot better than we did in last month's playoff massacre...

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Other people were definitely out of position multiple time besides me and you didn't say anything. You only bitched when it was me.
Yeah, it wasn't just you that was out of position. Yours were just the ones that were most noticeable for me because they were wide open passes I could have made.

Why were you sitting around for 2-3 seconds at the beginning of every play?

Part of my delay off the puck is I don't know how to move. I'm not sure what kind of faceoff you're going for and it seems like I always guess wrong with my positioning so it just seemed better to wait a second to see your player move and then react. Bigger problem in the defensive zone than offensive and when I'm the winger who's closest to the wall. Winger closer to middle goes toward net but already being against the wall makes me uncertain on my movements.

Edit: On a different note, my positioning did improve immensely after the practice we had and I had a B+ in Team play so if I do that in OTP now I should get my two cards soon. (I hope) I wouldn't mind more practices to get a feel of positioning and "running drills" in a sense. A lot of my problems is I have habits from playing with shitty OTP that with a real team I don't have to worry about such as playing defense a winger.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Part of my delay off the puck is I don't know how to move. I'm not sure what kind of faceoff you're going for and it seems like I always guess wrong with my positioning so it just seemed better to wait a second to see your player move and then react. Bigger problem in the defensive zone than offensive and when I'm the winger who's closest to the wall. Winger closer to middle goes toward net but already being against the wall makes me uncertain on my movements.

Edit: On a different note, my positioning did improve immensely after the practice we had and I had a B+ in Team play so if I do that in OTP now I should get my two cards soon. (I hope) I wouldn't mind more practices to get a feel of positioning and "running drills" in a sense. A lot of my problems is I have habits from playing with shitty OTP that with a real team I don't have to worry about such as playing defense a winger.

for faceoffs you can try one of these 2 approaches:

#1 always move in towards the faceoff immediately to steal the puck in the event of a tieup

#2 first read which team won the faceoff. If we win immediately start heading up ice on your side while trying to give whoever our puckhandler is a passing lane to you. So if a defender is in between you and the puckhandler try to move to a more open area or comeback towards the puck

If we lose the faceoff and puck is near you attack and pressure the puckhandler and try to get a steal or at the least disrupt him. If the faceoff is won away from you then you should be looking to takeaway the most obvious passing lane that is open to make it hard for the other team to move the puck

Top Bottom