• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Would you actually pass back or just leave it for them? Usually when I'm getting double teamed it's pretty close to the blueline and I'm afraid that it will just result in a turnover anyhow or an offsides being so close to the lines.
Pass back. Only leave it if there's no one else around.

Nozdeuce said:
So fail at hitting people less? That's weird you aren't crushing people
I make good contact but it doesn't seem to register properly. I almost wonder if my new router is causing a slight bit of lag. It's a cheap piece of shit. Maybe I'll go pick up a new one Sunday. :lol

TheVisualizer said:
what swim was talking about was times when you make it into the zone, go up the boards towards the corner you should look to pass it back down the boards towards the blueline to set the dmen up to launch slapshots

marvie is saying if you tell early (when u get to center ice) that you're not gonna make it into the zone rather than dumping the puck in everytime you can pass backwards as the dmen should be trailing the play. We can then move it across to the other side to take advantage of the defense trying to annihilate you. Dont use the drop pass unless you know what you are doing.

Gotcha.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Marvie_3 said:
I make good contact but it doesn't seem to register properly. I almost wonder if my new router is causing a slight bit of lag. It's a cheap piece of shit. Maybe I'll go pick up a new one Sunday. :lol
Thats really weird. With those stats I only ever get flattened or can't flatten the 100% goony people, everyone else gets crushed as long as I get a good line on them and contact. I can even flatten Dmen right off a faceoff, leading to some heroic breakaway goals. I find I can't kill anyone during laggy games, just end up gently winging people I take a good run it.

Actually I've been having an easier time hitting people recently. I've been flattening more people from behind while both moving, and have been able to catch up and side swipe people a lot more often than ever before.

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
Thats really weird. With those stats I only ever get flattened or can't flatten the 100% goony people, everyone else gets crushed as long as I get a good line on them and contact. I can even flatten Dmen right off a faceoff, leading to some heroic breakaway goals. I find I can't kill anyone during laggy games, just end up gently winging people I take a good run it.

Actually I've been having an easier time hitting people recently. I've been flattening more people from behind while both moving, and have been able to catch up and side swipe people a lot more often than ever before.
I dunno. I'm gonna mess with my stats a bit more. Maybe I need to make my player bigger. I think he's only 5'10".

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
Pass back. Only leave it if there's no one else around.

Same thing happens to me a lot. I'll line up for a big hit, in perfect position, and my guy kinda just floats past the player I wanted to hit. It has cost me some goals as well :(

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
Same thing happens to me a lot. I'll line up for a big hit, in perfect position, and my guy kinda just floats past the player I wanted to hit. It has cost me some goals as well :(
Yeah, you gotta be careful going out for those hits at the blue line in the first place. I've noticed that a lot of times, even if you make the hit, it results in a breakaway or an odd-man situation. It gets us burned. :(

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah, you gotta be careful going out for those hits at the blue line in the first place. I've noticed that a lot of times, even if you make the hit, it results in a breakaway or an odd-man situation. It gets us burned. :(
I feel like I have been toning the hits down more in some games. I don't like it but I do notice it leads to odd-man rushes. I try not to hit at all if its 1 on 1 now. The only thing frustrating is that sometimes we play goon teams who will have all 3 guys going to check one player and then I go and crush one of their players and it causes an odd-man rush for their team >:|

But hitting will always be my game :lol , I don't see how people can make forwards or defenseman that don't hit guys :D

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
I feel like I have been toning the hits down more in some games. I don't like it but I do notice it leads to odd-man rushes. I try not to hit at all if its 1 on 1 now. The only thing frustrating is that sometimes we play goon teams who will have all 3 guys going to check one player and then I go and crush one of their players and it causes an odd-man rush for their team >:|

But hitting will always be my game :lol , I don't see how people can make forwards or defenseman that don't hit guys :D
Yeah, it's more a matter of knowing when to go for a hit and when to back off and keep your position.

sefskillz said:
ill play after the winter classic

Marvie's just trying to be grumpy that he won't be watching the classic like a true hockey fan. :lol :D

Edit: I just realized today is only saturday, I can play after the classic also.

ggs tonight guys,

welcome aboard Awesome and Chady, both you guys played well, nice to have a good turnout for a change, hopefully I don't scare away everyone like I did last year :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Why do Marvie and the new guy hate me so? I'm killing off my like 10th 5 on 3 alone...
That game was ridiculous. We had no business winning that one but your supreme defense kept us in it. Chady and I alternated penalties and we ended up down 5-on-3 for about 7 minutes straight. We also got outshot 43-6 yet still ended up winning 2-1 in OT. :lol :lol

TheVisualizer said:
ggs tonight guys,

welcome aboard Awesome and Chady, both you guys played well, nice to have a good turnout for a change, hopefully I don't scare away everyone like I did last year :lol
We had a damn good night overall. Awesome really seemed to pick up the D position pretty quick.

Chady, Zaraki, and I had a nice run of 4 in a row after you guys left. Then the last game we started getting the shit beat out of us by these trash goals. Got us well over .500 again though. :D

Marvie_3 said:
That game was ridiculous. We had no business winning that one but your supreme defense kept us in it. Chady and I alternated penalties and we ended up down 5-on-3 for about 7 minutes straight. We also got outshot 43-6 yet still ended up winning 2-1 in OT. :lol :lol

We had a damn good night overall. Awesome really seemed to pick up the D position pretty quick.

Chady, Zaraki, and I had a nice run of 4 in a row after you guys left. Then the last game we started getting the shit beat out of us by these trash goals. Got us well over .500 again though. :D

Ya, sorry about that last one. I was just too tired and my brain wasn't working right and I just misplayed completely on those plays.

And the crazy game, I was fucking steaming when they tied it with not much time left in the third. That was the first time I honestly thought about rage quitting. All that work and it was almost for nothing. :lol

Edit: We're back in elite. :D

I finally reach the all star game in my offline be a pro mode and it asks if I want to play so I say sure. What position is my RW Jagr playing in the allstar game? That's right center? How the fuck is a RW a C in the all star game? I hate this game.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Marvie_3 said:

Nicely done!

GG's. I think I played some of by best D games so far last night.

SCHUEY F1 said:
Nicely done!

GG's. I think I played some of by best D games so far last night.

Yeah you made some really nice plays 1-on-1 breaking up good scoring chances, and picked your spots better for being aggressive on offense. All-around great effort man. One area I need you to focus on next time is keeping track of where the other D-man is and making sure at least 1 of you guys stays near the front of the net.

I had to drop down as the center and bail you guys out a few times, they hit several posts, and Chady made some unbelievable saves that all would have been goals in any other game when both D-men left the front of the net unguarded. If the other D-man chases out to the wall or behind the net you need recognize this and stay put right in front of the net on the puck-side even if no one is there to guard. This way you can guard against wrap-arounds, and passes across the crease or to the mid-slot.

I'll be on later after the Giants get finished throwing away their season to the Redskins...

zsswimmer

If I could make some suggestions to the newer d-men based on what Vis was saying.

I had the same problem when I first started playing defense, I would chase the puck wherever it would go no matter what.

So you if you are playing left defense, and the puck is down in the left corner, only the left dman should be playing down there. The right dman should be in front of the net, being prepared to stop a crease pass or being prepared to go behind the net and chip up along the boards if the puck comes along.

As a dman, you don't want to go chasing the wingers behind the net, just stand by the edge of the side that you are 'assigned' to, and stuff any wrap around attempt with pokechecks.

I will be on after the Montreal vs Atlanta game

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, sorry about that last one. I was just too tired and my brain wasn't working right and I just misplayed completely on those plays.

And the crazy game, I was fucking steaming when they tied it with not much time left in the third. That was the first time I honestly thought about rage quitting. All that work and it was almost for nothing. :lol

Edit: We're back in elite. :D
Those bullshit goals would have gone in no matter what any of us did. I wanted to go to bed 3 games before that but that game was enough for me. I barely got Netflix up and going before I passed out on the floor. :lol

zsswimmer said:
If I could make some suggestions to the newer d-men based on what Vis was saying.

I had the same problem when I first started playing defense, I would chase the puck wherever it would go no matter what.

So you if you are playing left defense, and the puck is down in the left corner, only the left dman should be playing down there. The right dman should be in front of the net, being prepared to stop a crease pass or being prepared to go behind the net and chip up along the boards if the puck comes along.

As a dman, you don't want to go chasing the wingers behind the net, just stand by the edge of the side that you are 'assigned' to, and stuff any wrap around attempt with pokechecks.

I will be on after the Montreal vs Atlanta game

well said

on top of that, you generally dont want to chase out towards the wall much because good danglers will find a way to make you slightly overpursue to get around you and walk in on net uncontested. Don't go for their little change of direction fakes, just hold your position on the edge of the net like swimmer said and poke check to scare them back out to the wall and let the center or wingers handle chasing them around the outside.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
well said

on top of that, you generally dont want to chase out towards the wall much because good danglers will find a way to make you slightly overpursue to get around you and walk in on net uncontested. Don't go for their little change of direction fakes, just hold your position on the edge of the net like swimmer said and poke check to scare them back out to the wall and let the center or wingers handle chasing them around the outside.
Yeah, what he said.

Marvie_3 said:
Those bullshit goals would have gone in no matter what any of us did. I wanted to go to bed 3 games before that but that game was enough for me. I barely got Netflix up and going before I passed out on the floor. :lol

I reached around enough to find my remote to turn off the tv and fell asleep where I lay. :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
I think I'm going to go buy a new router this week. Was testing some things out in NHL and a few other games and I'm getting some lag that I didn't have with my last router. Should have known better than to have bought this cheap piece of shit. :lol

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
TheVisualizer said:
well said

Yeah, sometimes I have trouble sticking in front of the net or push to hard on the stick and move farther than I want too.

Marvie_3 said:
I think I'm going to go buy a new router this week. Was testing some things out in NHL and a few other games and I'm getting some lag that I didn't have with my last router. Should have known better than to have bought this cheap piece of shit. :lol

I wonder if my router is causing my lag too. Mines old and broken up.

Well, I'm glad I wasn't a burden. I still make some mistakes, but that is to be a little expected I suppose. I also played well as a forward, so I'm glad that I can contribute in a flex or utility position.

As far as the advice, I agree that we always need one d in front of the net. That is basic tactics, but easy to forget. Also, there were times where it was hard to get an pass off because no one was on the side the d was taking the puck up with. Also, the second d should be available slightly behind the d with the puck, and on the other side of the ice.

Otherwise, I'm definitely enjoying playing with you all, and I am glad I'm not such a liability that it is frustrating. The FIFA club has dealt with some of that, and it is certainly not any fun. My 150 games will come in no time, and once that happens, hopefully I won't get burned anymore. haha

Awesome Animals said:
Well, I'm glad I wasn't a burden. I still make some mistakes, but that is to be a little expected I suppose. I also played well as a forward, so I'm glad that I can contribute in a flex or utility position.

As far as the advice, I agree that we always need one d in front of the net. That is basic tactics, but easy to forget. Also, there were times where it was hard to get an pass off because no one was on the side the d was taking the puck up with. Also, the second d should be available slightly behind the d with the puck, and on the other side of the ice.

Otherwise, I'm definitely enjoying playing with you all, and I am glad I'm not such a liability that it is frustrating. The FIFA club has dealt with some of that, and it is certainly not any fun. My 150 games will come in no time, and once that happens, hopefully I won't get burned anymore. haha

glad you are having fun so far, even though we had a tough night. You and SCHUEY on D are gonna have your growing pains as it's a tough position because there is no margin for error. We can post and tell you guys what needs to be done, but more than likely you guys will need to learn thru experience. Even the best gotta start somewhere, I remember swimmer making the same mistakes in the beginning and now he's rock solid... except in fighting :D

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
glad you are having fun so far, even though we had a tough night. You and SCHUEY on D are gonna have your growing pains as it's a tough position because there is no margin for error. We can post and tell you guys what needs to be done, but more than likely you guys will need to learn thru experience. Even the best gotta start somewhere, I remember swimmer making the same mistakes in the beginning and now he's rock solid... except in fighting :D
I'm blaming the patch lol.. you ever remember how many times I lost before the patch? Now I can't dodge any punches at all and miss all the time. Getting worked by guys and I have 99 fighting skill and 99 strength... shame. Oh well, I will take the improving d though :D

zsswimmer said:
I'm blaming the patch lol.. you ever remember how many times I lost before the patch? Now I can't dodge any punches at all and miss all the time. Getting worked by guys and I have 99 fighting skill and 99 strength... shame. Oh well, I will take the improving d though :D

on a serious note it doesnt seem like ur blocking right when the fight starts as they have been landing 2 or 3 good shots at the beginning of every fight that is costing you in the long run

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
on a serious note it doesnt seem like ur blocking right when the fight starts as they have been landing 2 or 3 good shots at the beginning of every fight that is costing you in the long run
Hmm maybe lag or something, I have been having trouble with missing hits due to lag lately

Giant Robot said:
Heya, I've been away from my Xbox for a while, but yes, I'm still interested in the GAF team.Just got your message Marvie.

welcome aboard!

gonna need your player info:

-player name
-primary position
-jersey number (check the roster in the OP to see which numbers are avail)

also send a friend request to GAF EASHL to get access to the team friend list

If I ever see you online in NHL11 while we are playing I'll shoot you a message...

Top Bottom