• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

TheVisualizer said:
for faceoffs you can try one of these 2 approaches:

#1 always move in towards the faceoff immediately to steal the puck in the event of a tieup

#2 first read which team won the faceoff. If we win immediately start heading up ice on your side while trying to give whoever our puckhandler is a passing lane to you. So if a defender is in between you and the puckhandler try to move to a more open area or comeback towards the puck

If we lose the faceoff and puck is near you attack and pressure the puckhandler and try to get a steal or at the least disrupt him. If the faceoff is won away from you then you should be looking to takeaway the most obvious passing lane that is open to make it hard for the other team to move the puck

So my waiting isn't necessarily bad, I just have to be quicker on picking up who won?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
any non-offensive zone faceoff i always have my stick pointed at an angle behind their center to the top of the circle. this way you get your acceleration kicked off and can wheel in behind their center if there is a tie up, or wheel up towards their d men if they won it back. especially deep in our own zone, as a winger i want to get to their dmen as quick as possible to prevent glitch/point shot if they win it back. offensive zone faceoffs are the only ones i try to wait a little and see what happens

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
So my waiting isn't necessarily bad, I just have to be quicker on picking up who won?

yeah your waiting usually makes it real easy for them to find an open man after they win the faceoff and sometimes when you wait really long it almost feels like we need to penalty kill because you get caught behind the play and vice versa. Makes it harder to find an oulet pass when only the C and LW are up the ice trying to get open.

You dont want to do nothing, we can get a lot of good scoring chances quickly off the faceoff.

Awesome Animals...

I sent you an invite to the club, we need to you post your information for the roster:

-player name
-primary position (LD or RD)
-jersey number (check the roster in the OP to see which numbers are available)

and also send a Xbox friend request to: GAF EASHL

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Is anyone home during the day today that wants to play?
I'd play at work if our internet connection wasn't total ass. It's icy outside and the weather is only going to get worse. Nobody is going to be here today. :lol

Edit: Since I'm going to have loads of free time today, I'm going to do some roster cleanup. It'll free up a few jersey numbers if anyone is interested in switching.

I'll update the records tomorrow. Didn't realize I let that lapse for so long.

Marvie_3 said:
I'd play at work if our internet connection wasn't total ass. It's icy outside and the weather is only going to get worse. Nobody is going to be here today. :lol

Edit: Since I'm going to have loads of free time today, I'm going to do some roster cleanup. It'll free up a few jersey numbers if anyone is interested in switching.

I'll update the records tomorrow. Didn't realize I let that lapse for so long.

I wish I could play at work since it's connect is literally like 10x faster than mine. :lol

Edit: I also finally unlocked 2 boost slots so I should suck ever so slightly less. :D

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I wish I could play at work since it's connect is literally like 10x faster than mine. :lol

Edit: I also finally unlocked 2 boost slots so I should suck ever so slightly less. :D
I could send the signal by carrier pigeon and it'd still be as fast as it was at my job.

You need to unlock the cards. They help a lot more than the boosts.

Marvie_3 said:
I could send the signal by carrier pigeon and it'd still be as fast as it was at my job.

You need to unlock the cards. They help a lot more than the boosts.

I know, I was playing OTP this morning. My brother is downloading again so I have to play offline for now.

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I know, I was playing OTP this morning. My brother is downloading again so I have to play offline for now.
Just do what other kids do. Just get in the game and let your player sit there. Easy games!

Marvie_3 said:
Just do what other kids do. Just get in the game and let your player sit there. Easy games!

I don't need games though, I need better grading. I'm over 100 games now, I just don't have the grades to get the cards but after our practice last night I'm getting Bs in teamplay so hopefully I'll have it sooner rather than later.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
TheVisualizer said:
i feel kind of responsible for derailing the team this month after i ragequit and refused to play for 2-3 weeks and also want to give some other players a chance to play in the playoffs. Maybe I should be in there but it sends the wrong message if the same people feel they deserve playoff spots every month. I want to keep everyone happy that we have and continue growing the team if possible rather than alienate people.

zaraki, sef and schuey have played and posted the most this month out of people that havent gotten a shot yet so I figured I would offer you guys a chance this month same way I did for others in previous months. Unfortunately scheduling conflicts came up for those I tried to give my spot to in previous months.

Sorry I could it make it for the games. I picked up a new TV yesterday so I was messing around with it. Plus I watched the Habs play like shit against Tampa.

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I don't need games though, I need better grading. I'm over 100 games now, I just don't have the grades to get the cards but after our practice last night I'm getting Bs in teamplay so hopefully I'll have it sooner rather than later.
Power forward. Hurt people.

Marvie_3 said:
Power forward. Hurt people.

That's what I finally switched to when me and visualizer were practicing alone last night before you guys got on. I miss the sweet passes I could make as playmaker though, wish I could do both. :(

sefskillz

two way forward is sweet. if i get an assist its a B- average, if i score a goal its at least an A average. im carrying a B average overall, just need more games played

sefskillz said:
two way forward is sweet. if i get an assist its a B- average, if i score a goal its at least an A average. im carrying a B average overall, just need more games played

I've honestly never played 2 way forward. Maybe I'll try it some time. I only went with power since I think they have one of the lowest if not the lowest total cost to max out checking. :D I gotta find that spreadsheet of point costs.

Marvie_3

Banned
sefskillz said:
I've been using a TWF lately but I think I'm switching back to PWF. I don't like that guys are bouncing off me when I line them up for a check.

sefskillz

yea, i dont like that aspect either. especially when losing and i just want to knock the shit out of everyone. only way to get a decent hit is the hip check and that is hard as shit to line up. i figured i would switch when i get enough XP to build a decent player in the other types

sefskillz said:
yea, i dont like that aspect either. especially when losing and i just want to knock the shit out of everyone. only way to get a decent hit is the hip check and that is hard as shit to line up. i figured i would switch when i get enough XP to build a decent player in the other types

Bleh, not playing as a 2 way then. :/

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:
imma stay a sniper

snipers gonna snipe
Of course you are. :lol

sefskillz said:
I like the build I can make as a power forward. I never use slapshots so I don't bother with those. I can usually get some decent offensive stats then.

sefskillz

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How you guys don't slit your wrists during OTP is beyond me. This is shit is beyond unbearable.
had a guy yesterday who was pissed he got stuck with goalie, so he just skated to the blue line every time. all but two of us quit out and he quit after letting in #3. we lost 3-2 :(

sefskillz said:
had a guy yesterday who was pissed he got stuck with goalie, so he just skated to the blue line every time. all but two of us quit out and he quit after letting in #3. we lost 3-2 :(

Goalie continually tried to play the puck and kept getting penalties for playing it outside the trapezoid. We were still winning 3-1 then the other forward who didn't suck quit and the other guy would continually call for the puck no matter what. We lost 4-3 in OT. Fucking ridiculous.

Edit: B- Acheived! One more card I can get if I get up to a B now. I'm done before I really do slit my wrists.

Edit 2: The fuck? Do you not get points for unlocking veteran? I can't add any more points and it wasn't unlocked before....

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
How you guys don't slit your wrists during OTP is beyond me. This is shit is beyond unbearable.
Now you know why I have a drinking problem.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Goalie continually tried to play the puck and kept getting penalties for playing it outside the trapezoid. We were still winning 3-1 then the other forward who didn't suck quit and the other guy would continually call for the puck no matter what. We lost 4-3 in OT. Fucking ridiculous.

Edit: B- Acheived! One more card I can get if I get up to a B now. I'm done before I really do slit my wrists.

Edit 2: The fuck? Do you not get points for unlocking veteran? I can't add any more points and it wasn't unlocked before....
You should get points for each card. 400 more for veteran I think.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
That's probably it. :/

Vis, did it seem like I coughed up the puck a lot when we played today?

a little i guess u just have to be quicker getting rid of the puck when it looks like 2 guys are coming to take your head off

but im not the one to ask about turnovers though, i think i lead the entire EASHL in them, but I also lead the league in takeaways so I end up breaking even...

zsswimmer

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
That's probably it. :/

Vis, did it seem like I coughed up the puck a lot when we played today?
Well if I could give some advice, you played great today but you never threw the puck down back to the point when coming up the wing. So there were a lot of turnovers from trying to force it in the middle too much.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Marvie_3 said:
I've been using a TWF lately but I think I'm switching back to PWF. I don't like that guys are bouncing off me when I line them up for a check.
dont be a pussy, my TWF has like 96 checking and 99 strength

zsswimmer said:
Well if I could give some advice, you played great today but you never threw the puck down back to the point when coming up the wing. So there were a lot of turnovers from trying to force it in the middle too much.

Ya, I gotta try switching between the two views. I can very see how close you are and I'm afraid I'll dump it all the way down the ice missing you.

I'm assuming turnovers don't count cross crease passes that are picked off and the like? I think I average 3 turnovers a game so I'm guessing it's just hits/poke check cough ups?

Also, should I try dumping it more when I'm about to get raped by two guys? I haven't been dumping at all lately...

I still feel awkward at times defending and not knowing when to stay by the guy at the point and when to drop down a little to help out. Especially when the other team bunches up weird.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
a little i guess u just have to be quicker getting rid of the puck when it looks like 2 guys are coming to take your head off

but im not the one to ask about turnovers though, i think i lead the entire EASHL in them, but I also lead the league in takeaways so I end up breaking even...
1337 giveaways, 1110 takeaways. :D

ph33nix said:
i give up on this legend card shit it'll be a loooong time if ever, that i hit 150 :lol
You were the one who got yours with no effort last year. :lol

Nozdeuce said:
dont be a pussy, my TWF has like 96 checking and 99 strength
That's about what my guy's stats are.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
thought you had a big joint to roll... :D
That's more like it.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Ya, I gotta try switching between the two views. I can very see how close you are and I'm afraid I'll dump it all the way down the ice missing you.

I'm assuming turnovers don't count cross crease passes that are picked off and the like? I think I average 3 turnovers a game so I'm guessing it's just hits/poke check cough ups?

Also, should I try dumping it more when I'm about to get raped by two guys? I haven't been dumping at all lately...

I still feel awkward at times defending and not knowing when to stay by the guy at the point and when to drop down a little to help out. Especially when the other team bunches up weird.
Intercepted cross passes do count as turnovers.

Dumping the puck is always a good idea. It may result in the other team gaining possession but that's bound to happen. It's better if they get the puck deep in their zone instead of the neutral zone.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

well if our RD could speak he might get the passed back to him more...

yeah dump it if you are really close to the blueline or look to pass across the middle if someone is open

on defense put yourself in the opposing puckhandler's shoes, quickly check all his options for passes and try to takeaway the most obvious one. Theres no use guarding a player if it doesnt look like a pass can get to him.

Marvie_3 said:
That's more like it.

Intercepted cross passes do count as turnovers.

Dumping the puck is always a good idea. It may result in the other team gaining possession but that's bound to happen. It's better if they get the puck deep in their zone instead of the neutral zone.

Maybe I'll start dumping more then. Sometimes I get off really sweet passes to the middle which end up in a great opportunity for the puck carrier and other times it fails miserably. I'll try to dump more since I've gone essentially completely away from it.

TheVisualizer said:

yeah dump it if you are really close to the blueline or look to pass across the middle if someone is open

on defense put yourself in the opposing puckhandler's shoes, quickly check all his options for passes and try to takeaway the most obvious one. Theres no use guarding a player if it doesnt look like a pass can get to him.

Ya, I just feel like I'm taking someone else's spot to defending a pass and I get afraid I'll get too clumped with someone else. I think it might come off worse that I second guess myself than just sticking to an idea... It probably makes me look mindless when moving around sometimes.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
Yeah, ph33nix and swim need mics. :D

TheVisualizer said:
Don't be afraid to pass backwards to a defenseman when you're coming up the ice. If you can't get down for a good dump and you don't have a pass to another forward, just drop the puck back and the dmen can swing it around. We can try to move it up the opposite side of the ice then.

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah, ph33nix and swim need mics. :D

Don't be afraid to pass backwards to a defenseman when you're coming up the ice. If you can't get down for a good dump and you don't have a pass to another forward, just drop the puck back and the dmen can swing it around. We can try to move it up the opposite side of the ice then.

Would you actually pass back or just leave it for them? Usually when I'm getting double teamed it's pretty close to the blueline and I'm afraid that it will just result in a turnover anyhow or an offsides being so close to the lines.

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Would you actually pass back or just leave it for them? Usually when I'm getting double teamed it's pretty close to the blueline and I'm afraid that it will just result in a turnover anyhow or an offsides being so close to the lines.

what swim was talking about was times when you make it into the zone, go up the boards towards the corner you should look to pass it back down the boards towards the blueline to set the dmen up to launch slapshots

marvie is saying if you tell early (when u get to center ice) that you're not gonna make it into the zone rather than dumping the puck in everytime you can pass backwards as the dmen should be trailing the play. We can then move it across to the other side to take advantage of the defense trying to annihilate you. Dont use the drop pass unless you know what you are doing.

Top Bottom