• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
Marvie_3 said:
It was only one game.
Hopefully the change of playertype will get you flattening people, so good for random breakouts. Occasionally I'll crush someone all alone in their own end, get the puck and score. Annoying when sliding corpses keep you from getting the puck though :(

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
Hopefully the change of playertype will get you flattening people, so good for random breakouts. Occasionally I'll crush someone all alone in their own end, get the puck and score. Annoying when sliding corpses keep you from getting the puck though :(
I really fuckin hate the poke check from behind shit. It's so ridiculously overdone in this game.

Nozdeuce

Marvie_3 said:
I really fuckin hate the poke check from behind shit. It's so ridiculously overdone in this game.
Word, instead of kicking the puck ahead with LT I just hold onto it and hope for a penalty shot/free goal. I really only bother trying if I'm all alone.

zsswimmer

Awesome run we had thru the afternoon and night games. Last games in both sessions were the grind out win styles. I guess good teams find a way to win ugly games ;)

GGs tonight. Sorry for fucking around in the 3rd game, but Marv was carrying us as I got into fights I should not have :lol That other dude was definitely blacker than me...

Finally got my superstar card though! I need to bulk up my dude or something. Those guys were having their way physically with me.

And man, that goal in the second game where I passed to Marvie and he passed back for the goal was just filthy. Beautiful. We had some awesome passing/chemistry going on tonight...

And I gotta get a mic!

Also I totally failed at sniping. Every time I got a pass and tried to shoot I would end up getting knocked straight on my ass :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
Holy shit! In that last game ph33nix had 0 shots!

2lm49pz.jpg

That's because I spent nearly 1/3 of the game in the box :lol

I bet you were surprised when I passed you the puck on that fast break though!

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:
That's because I spent nearly 1/3 of the game in the box :lol

I bet you were surprised when I passed you the puck on that fast break though!
Not gonna lie....I was really surprised when I got that pass. That's why my shot was so terrible. Still went in though. :lol

good job to everyone that chipped in today (marvie, swim, pheenix, awesome, schuey and karasawa), we unleashed a dominating 11 game streak in 1 day. Took us like a week last month to do the same.

Everyone played solid today, special recognition goes to SCHUEY. I'm not gonna lie you played pretty awful the other night when we lost all those games in a row, but played out of your mind tonight in the 2 games I played alongside you. Good bounce back effort there.

Oh yeah lets recognize swim too, somehow defying all odds he actually won a fight today :D

ph33nix said:
GGs tonight. Sorry for fucking around in the 3rd game, but Marv was carrying us as I got into fights I should not have :lol That other dude was definitely blacker than me...

Finally got my superstar card though! I need to bulk up my dude or something. Those guys were having their way physically with me.

And man, that goal in the second game where I passed to Marvie and he passed back for the goal was just filthy. Beautiful. We had some awesome passing/chemistry going on tonight...

And I gotta get a mic!

congrats on the Superstar card, you and Zaraki both got them this week

that give-n-go goal was nice, we were going crazy in the party chat when it happened

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
TheVisualizer said:
good job to everyone that chipped in today (marvie, swim, pheenix, awesome, schuey and karasawa), we unleashed a dominating 11 game streak in 1 day. Took us like a week last month to do the same.

Everyone played solid today, special recognition goes to SCHUEY. I'm not gonna lie you played pretty awful the other night when we lost all those games in a row, but played out of your mind tonight in the 2 games I played alongside you. Good bounce back effort there.

Oh yeah lets recognize swim too, somehow defying all odds he actually won a fight today :D

Thanks. As long as I don't get caught pinching, make sure I stay back and stick to the post I'll do all right.

Does a high wrist shot/accuracy really matter that much?

I'm thinking about switching to a speedier/stronger kind of player. My play style isn't really to just catch and shoot, I like creating for myself and creating for others on the move. Last night when I would try to maneuver around opponents I'd end up getting smashed because I was too slow. But if it does matter, I guess I should stick with being a shotter! :lol

zsswimmer

It doesn't on computer goalies imo. I think 80+ and you are more than fine on accuracy. Whenever I can get my slapshot in the high slot dead center in front of the net its more than likely going in or hitting the post, and I only have 70 accuracy. I think power is more important on cpu goalies and accuracy for user goalies.

ph33nix said:
Does a high wrist shot/accuracy really matter that much?

I'm thinking about switching to a speedier/stronger kind of player. My play style isn't really to just catch and shoot, I like creating for myself and creating for others on the move. Last night when I would try to maneuver around opponents I'd end up getting smashed because I was too slow. But if it does matter, I guess I should stick with being a shotter! :lol

with your superstar card you should have enough points to go to town, heres what I would recommend

OFF
deking 85-90
hand-eye - 75-85
off awr 85-90
passing 80-85
puck control 90-95
slapshot pow and acc - dont waste points here
wrist shot acc 85-95
wrist shot pow 80-85

ATH
spd, acc, agl, bal 85-90
dur - dont waste points here
end 75-80
str 75-80

I use something similar to this when I play center. Unless you make a brute power forward you are gonna get smashed from time to time regardless of you do. Even top speed won't help you with that.

Something I think will help us cut on turnovers---

1. If you're the man with the puck going down one of the wings, let's try and avoid doing passes to the front of the net for the sake of it. We turn it over by forcing things into traffic too much---I think unless you have an AWESOME angle, try not throwing it in there with more than 2 people.

2. If you ARE the one without the puck---help the guy with the puck by giving him good passing angles and space the floor. We have way too many guys around the net. We need people who can receive passes if there's nothing good to shoot. I think too many times we try a hockey alley-oop, so if you are without the puck, skate slower/behind your defender so you can receive the pass, I think we try and skate-catch-shoot too much.

3. I would much rather play a slower offense unless we're on a fast break---we gotta make a lot of simple passes in a circular motion because it will move the defense and free up space in front of the net, which is better than trying the 1-2 shoot which we do.

And finally I'm sorry if it seems like I get knocked on my ass without doing anything---I've tried passing and by the time it happens I'm fucked :lol

I'm going to try and also not chase the puck so hard, it's a really bad tendency I have but if I see another guy on his wing going after it I'll let him have it.

Also, that team had the gayest arena ever. and jerseys too lol

Anyone playing?

TheVisualizer said:
with your superstar card you should have enough points to go to town, heres what I would recommend

OFF
deking 85-90
hand-eye - 75-85
off awr 85-90
passing 80-85
puck control 90-95
slapshot pow and acc - dont waste points here
wrist shot acc 85-95
wrist shot pow 80-85

ATH
spd, acc, agl, bal 85-90
dur - dont waste points here
end 75-80
str 75-80

I use something similar to this when I play center. Unless you make a brute power forward you are gonna get smashed from time to time regardless of you do. Even top speed won't help you with that.

There's definitely no way you can make that build if you're a forward unless maybe you're a playmaker? My power forward isn't even close to those stats with my superstar card unless you have a bunch of boosts on him or something also.

Also, I need to figure out this deking shit. It keeps failing me :lol

---we're playing right now but i'm leaving after this one

ph33nix said:
Also, I need to figure out this deking shit. It keeps failing me :lol

I just accept I can't deke. I literally have 0 attempted dekes online. :lol I tried learning some from youtube but I seemed to do worse since I was so concentrated on trying to pull it off it would just make things worse but maybe more practice would have fixed that.

good shit that game, guys. we flowed a lot better

I pass too much now! :lol

tonight will be the return of my black man voice

Marvie_3

Banned
ph33nix said:
good shit that game, guys. we flowed a lot better

I pass too much now! :lol

tonight will be the return of my black man voice
Yeah you do. Seemed at times like you weren't sure of what to do. :lol

Just watch your positioning if youre playing center. We ended up running into each other a lot in the corners. I know one time you were trying to get back on defense and I was going to grab my stick in the corner and we ended up caught there for a few seconds. :lol

ph33nix said:
Something I think will help us cut on turnovers---

1. If you're the man with the puck going down one of the wings, let's try and avoid doing passes to the front of the net for the sake of it. We turn it over by forcing things into traffic too much---I think unless you have an AWESOME angle, try not throwing it in there with more than 2 people.

2. If you ARE the one without the puck---help the guy with the puck by giving him good passing angles and space the floor. We have way too many guys around the net. We need people who can receive passes if there's nothing good to shoot. I think too many times we try a hockey alley-oop, so if you are without the puck, skate slower/behind your defender so you can receive the pass, I think we try and skate-catch-shoot too much.

3. I would much rather play a slower offense unless we're on a fast break---we gotta make a lot of simple passes in a circular motion because it will move the defense and free up space in front of the net, which is better than trying the 1-2 shoot which we do.

And finally I'm sorry if it seems like I get knocked on my ass without doing anything---I've tried passing and by the time it happens I'm fucked :lol

I'm going to try and also not chase the puck so hard, it's a really bad tendency I have but if I see another guy on his wing going after it I'll let him have it.

Also, that team had the gayest arena ever. and jerseys too lol

I agree, I stopped trying to fit those cross crease passes in awhile ago, surprisingly enough even if you have a bad angle up near the corner or going behind the net its usually better to fire a wrister on goal as a lot of times bad angles lead to rebounds for the guy you originally thought it might be a good idea to pass cross crease too.

As far as the deking, I mentioned it briefly to Marvie, you rarely ever should be using the quick dekes, also there is a "money" deke that good danglers use that can get you past any CPU player almost everytime if it's done correctly. I'll have to save a video so you guys can see it. Basically you hold the puck out forehand, rollback like you want to do a hard wrist shot then immediately deke across to the backhand. When you do this your deke will go across your body extra close to your skates and the CPU defender has no idea what to do. You need to pay attention to whether the defender in front of you is human or not and deke accordingly.

As far as deking humans, if they are good defenders you have to keep them guessing by just deking back and forth or just to 1 side really early to give them something to think about. It's really easy to defend you if you just skate straight up to them and try to pull something off at the last second.

Me and my brother will be on later probably around 10ish.

Marvie_3 said:
Yeah you do. Seemed at times like you weren't sure of what to do. :lol

Just watch your positioning if youre playing center. We ended up running into each other a lot in the corners. I know one time you were trying to get back on defense and I was going to grab my stick in the corner and we ended up caught there for a few seconds. :lol

Yeah I realized this in the game that's why I posted that earlier, I done fucked up :lol

I'll try and not chase every loose puck. So hard to resist though...

TheVisualizer said:
I agree, I stopped trying to fit those cross crease passes in awhile ago, surprisingly enough even if you have a bad angle up near the corner or going behind the net its usually better to fire a wrister on goal as a lot of times bad angles lead to rebounds for the guy you originally thought it might be a good idea to pass cross crease too.

As far as the deking, I mentioned it briefly to Marvie, you rarely ever should be using the quick dekes, also there is a "money" deke that good danglers use that can get you past any CPU player almost everytime if it's done correctly. I'll have to save a video so you guys can see it. Basically you hold the puck out forehand, rollback like you want to do a hard wrist shot then immediately deke across to the backhand. When you do this your deke will go across your body extra close to your skates and the CPU defender has no idea what to do. You need to pay attention to whether the defender in front of you is human or not and deke accordingly.

As far as deking humans, if they are good defenders you have to keep them guessing by just deking back and forth or just to 1 side really early to give them something to think about. It's really easy to defend you if you just skate straight up to them and try to pull something off at the last second.

Me and my brother will be on later probably around 10ish.

Good points, I'll experiment a bit later. I think I might stay with my playmaker guy. It's not like I can't score goals now that I'm not a sniper, but playmakers naturally have higher everything else which I think is more important. Goals can be scored no matter what rating if you get a quality shot off, which comes from good team passing.

Like I said earlier from now on, if someone has the puck and they're skating, make sure you stay behind that person UNLESS you have your defender clearly beat, and I'll try and not make stupid passes either.

Nozdeuce

Viz, you tried playing forward with only like 70 points in deke? Might be surprised.

Nozdeuce said:
Viz, you tried playing forward with only like 70 points in deke? Might be surprised.

No, haven't thought to do that, figured it would make my loose puck dekes even worse than before and that it would compromise my shooting accuracy in close when I deke the goalie 1v1. I'm not really stretched for points on offense anyway, but enlighten me on your experience.

The only category I'd love to have some more points for is Athleticism. I put most of my boost slots towards speed, agility, strength, balance and acceleration. I use the 2-way forward build when I play Center.

Nozdeuce

TheVisualizer said:
No, haven't thought to do that, figured it would make my loose puck dekes even worse than before and that it would compromise my shooting accuracy in close when I deke the goalie 1v1. I'm not really stretched for points on offense anyway, but enlighten me on your experience.

The only category I'd love to have some more points for is Athleticism. I put most of my boost slots towards speed, agility, strength, balance and acceleration. I use the 2-way forward build when I play Center.
I'm not overly trigger happy with the loose puck dekes, but when I think to use them (intelligently) they work. Normally I just plow through people or attempt to stickhandle around. Going 1v1 on goalies is fine for me at 70, as long as I do this move it's a goal. More shooting power could prolly help?

Yarr same here, I don't really have any suggestions but randomly putting agi and speed within 5 points of one another led to an immediate increase in random goals going in, it was insane. Worked the same for a friend too.

Nozdeuce said:
I'm not overly trigger happy with the loose puck dekes, but when I think to use them (intelligently) they work. Normally I just plow through people or attempt to stickhandle around. Going 1v1 on goalies is fine for me at 70, as long as I do this move it's a goal. More shooting power could prolly help?

Yarr same here, I don't really have any suggestions but randomly putting agi and speed within 5 points of one another led to an immediate increase in random goals going in, it was insane. Worked the same for a friend too.

yeah I don't use loose puck dekes too often anymore, they worked better last year... although I'm still waiting for an opportunity to use the jump deke to actually jump over someone

I was more worried about a low deke rating affecting shot accuracy on dekes like the one in the video you posted. Yeah, there are a couple areas I could use points in on my Center build now that I think of it. I'll give your suggestion a try next time I play Center.

I pretty much balance all my important ATH ratings out, I make my SPD, AGL, ACC, BAL all the same, usually 85 or 86. I don't put any points into DUR. I make my END an 80 and whatever points are left go to STR which usually ends up in the low 80's. I've been playing pretty good recently so I don't want to experiment too much, although I might try taking my strength and checking down a lot since I rarely hit or get hit and add some more speed.

TheVisualizer said:
welcome aboard!

gonna need your player info:

-player name
-primary position
-jersey number (check the roster in the OP to see which numbers are avail)

also send a friend request to GAF EASHL to get access to the team friend list

If I ever see you online in NHL11 while we are playing I'll shoot you a message...

awesome.

-Tell Em SteveDave
-Left Wing (but I can play Left Defensemen too)

Top Bottom