• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
ph33nix said:
And finally I'm sorry if it seems like I get knocked on my ass without doing anything---I've tried passing and by the time it happens I'm fucked :lol
same shit happens to me. i think when i finally get my vet card ill keep everything the same and pump up strength so i wont fall like a pussy everytime

sefskillz said:
same shit happens to me. i think when i finally get my vet card ill keep everything the same and pump up strength so i wont fall like a pussy everytime

Does strength help absorbing hits? I always assumed balance did. My strength is really high for hitting but I never touched my balance and I still get knocked around. Did I play ok D last night? Is there anything I should improve on? I know about stepping up more but I like hanging back a little unless I see a passing lane open towards me since I'm always afraid of breakaways. Even with my speed I can't always catch the guy on a breakaway.

zsswimmer

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Does strength help absorbing hits? I always assumed balance did. My strength is really high for hitting but I never touched my balance and I still get knocked around. Did I play ok D last night? Is there anything I should improve on? I know about stepping up more but I like hanging back a little unless I see a passing lane open towards me since I'm always afraid of breakaways. Even with my speed I can't always catch the guy on a breakaway.
Strength and balance do. It seems like one of those teams we played yesterday could not be knocked down, while they would go along trucking everyone including me. I would line up perfect hits only to bounce off of them, thanks 99 aggr 99 checking 99 strength -_-

zsswimmer said:
Strength and balance do. It seems like one of those teams we played yesterday could not be knocked down, while they would go along trucking everyone including me. I would line up perfect hits only to bounce off of them, thanks 99 aggr 99 checking 99 strength -_-
Maybe that was it then. I just know one game I kept getting knocked down a decent amount and I have 95 strength/checking. And ya, I hate that I'm afraid to hit to get out of position on D. Makes me sad. :(

Marvie_3

Banned
Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
I thought we were utterly fucked when the one guy on their team had 995 goals. :lol
That doesn't matter. There are people that do nothing but play this game. They're bound to rack up points if they play long enough.

zsswimmer said:
Yeah that game was bullshit.

Marvie_3 said:
That doesn't matter. There are people that do nothing but play this game. They're bound to rack up points if they play long enough.

Yeah that game was bullshit.

Oh, I know that but 995 goals is still a shit ton of goals. Made me fearful they glitched the goals or something since 1000 goals doesn't come that easy whether you play a lot or not.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
TheVisualizer said:
yeah I don't use loose puck dekes too often anymore, they worked better last year... although I'm still waiting for an opportunity to use the jump deke to actually jump over someone

I was more worried about a low deke rating affecting shot accuracy on dekes like the one in the video you posted. Yeah, there are a couple areas I could use points in on my Center build now that I think of it. I'll give your suggestion a try next time I play Center.

I pretty much balance all my important ATH ratings out, I make my SPD, AGL, ACC, BAL all the same, usually 85 or 86. I don't put any points into DUR. I make my END an 80 and whatever points are left go to STR which usually ends up in the low 80's. I've been playing pretty good recently so I don't want to experiment too much, although I might try taking my strength and checking down a lot since I rarely hit or get hit and add some more speed.
The down dpad loose puck deke seemed pretty cheated at the start of the season but I think they killed it off with tumer changes.

I've never pulled the move off correctly and had it miss (it get's stopped once every 3 lifetimes) but that move seems pretty flawless regardless of deke stats. I was initially worried about the accuracy loss too at the start of the season wanting to be able to weave around and then wrister whore it like last year, but that wasn't happening so I gave up on that one. 70 deke works well enough for getting around people, and the move works just fine.

ATH stats seem to be pretty subjective really. I find I can't handle more than 85 acceleration because it seems like I zoom off too quickly, I pretty much do the same except I feel like i need 85 END and I rock 99 STR :lol I do tons of experimenting, the Icecawk gdoc spreadsheet is an absolute mess of endless revisions. Key is to find the style of play you enjoy most then work from there.

I was wondering how important endurance is too. That's a stat I never bothered to boost but it might be vital...don't know. I tried jacking up accel/agility in hopes of my guy being crafty but I usually end up getting my ass pounded.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
ph33nix said:
I was wondering how important endurance is too. That's a stat I never bothered to boost but it might be vital...don't know. I tried jacking up accel/agility in hopes of my guy being crafty but I usually end up getting my ass pounded.
If you're slow like a cripple at the end of a period thats because you don't have enough points in Endurance. If you feel like you're never slower than you should be you're fine. Because I always put myself wildly out of the play in order to murder someone, I go at "top speed" a lot (urban legend?) so with less than 85 END I feel like I really lose speed come the final few mins of a period.

zsswimmer

Endurance helps you maintain top speed longer when you use that speed boost with the right stick, and it helps you keep your top speed the longer the game goes. If you are a forward you should put a good bit of points into it, I think it doesn't cost much anyways. I usually keep mine around 75.

Marvie_3

Banned
I dont use the hustle button unless I absolutely need to. My player never really slows down all that much either.

Fuckin pisses me off that I have a 90+ speed and even with 3 clicks, the AI still outskates me to pucks.

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
I dont use the hustle button unless I absolutely need to. My player never really slows down all that much either.

Fuckin pisses me off that I have a 90+ speed and even with 3 clicks, the AI still outskates me to pucks.
Yeah especially the CPU defense. I mean aren't they supposed to be 56 or 57 overall? What the fuck EA?

And the always appreciated, 'CPU dive from 50 feet away that can knock your puck off the stick perfectly without getting a penalty on the breakaway'.
Rage_face.jpg

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
Yeah especially the CPU defense. I mean aren't they supposed to be 56 or 57 overall? What the fuck EA?

And the always appreciated, 'CPU dive from 50 feet away that can knock your puck off the stick perfectly without getting a penalty on the breakaway'.
Both those piss me off. I get that they're trying to cut down the amount of breakaways every game but thats such a bullshit way to do it.

They're supposed to be 56 overall. There's no fucking way they have 90+ speed and are rated 56. Just look at their shooting accuracy. We get killed some games by AI forwards sniping the shit out of us.

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
Both those piss me off. I get that they're trying to cut down the amount of breakaways every game but thats such a bullshit way to do it.

They're supposed to be 56 overall. There's no fucking way they have 90+ speed and are rated 56. Just look at their shooting accuracy. We get killed some games by AI forwards sniping the shit out of us.
I really almost lost it when that team who had 2 people scored 3 goals from the CPU, the 3rd one being right off the center ice faceoff and right past the goalie pads. Thats why I'm saying next time we have a packed house, we gotta play teams with more than 2 players. AI is too accurate in passing and shooting, its fucking ridiculous.

Marvie_3

Banned
zsswimmer said:
I really almost lost it when that team who had 2 people scored 3 goals from the CPU, the 3rd one being right off the center ice faceoff and right past the goalie pads. Thats why I'm saying next time we have a packed house, we gotta play teams with more than 2 players. AI is too accurate in passing and shooting, its fucking ridiculous.
Agreed. Playing 2's fucking sucks. They're either expert glitchers or shitty players who let the AI do everything for them.

If you guys ever do play 2's again, do NOT play when the other team has 3 AI forwards. It's a rape waiting to happen.

I respectfully disagree with both of your opinions on playing 2's. The game yesterday was an anomaly, how often do you see human players in the box for an extended time. We were playing lockdown D taking away all the high scoring areas that humans try to exploit. We just all failed to realize that all CPU's were out there and learned how lethal that can be at finding a wide open man and executing.

Yes, the CPU forwards are likely to score once a game if the opposing team actually utilizes them. Those of us that play a lot know about the CPU money spot in the high slot. But, 90% of 2 man teams play differeently, where they basically play catch with each other ignoring the CPU unless absolutely necessary, and anytime the CPU gets the puck they are immediately calling for a pass to get it back. This makes it really easy to defend and force turnovers that lead to good scoring chances. And dont get me started on the fluke goal from center ice...

As a forward all you have to shadow the humans off the puck all game and it completely shuts them down. You remember all those games where we outshot teams 30-7 every games, thats primarily because I was denying them puck and we have a dominating 4 or 5 guys playing defenseman cleaning up whatever gets thru. Once I teach you guys how to stickhandle better you are gonna be licking your chops going up against teams with more CPU's on the ice than humans, especially the CPU defensemen...they are extra tasty.

Strength in numbers is more dangerous than what the CPU can do to us

btw when I was checking the recent results on our team's club page I noticed almost every one of the teams weve played since our dominating run began a month ago havr been Elite teams with great records, seems like the EASHL matchmaking must have changed at some point to factor in your division in the regular season now, not just the playoffs

zsswimmer

TheVisualizer said:
I respectfully disagree with both of your opinions on playing 2's. The game yesterday was an anomaly, how often do you see human players in the box for an extended time. We were playing lockdown D taking away all the high scoring areas that humans try to exploit. We just all failed to realize that all CPU's were out there and learned how lethal that can be at finding a wide open man and executing.

Yes, the CPU forwards are likely to score once a game if the opposing team actually utilizes them. Those of us that play a lot know about the CPU money spot in the high slot. But, 90% of 2 man teams play differeently, where they basically play catch with each other ignoring the CPU unless absolutely necessary, and anytime the CPU gets the puck they are immediately calling for a pass to get it back. This makes it really easy to defend and force turnovers that lead to good scoring chances. And dont get me started on the fluke goal from center ice...

As a forward all you have to shadow the humans off the puck all game and it completely shuts them down. You remember all those games where we outshot teams 30-7 every games, thats primarily because I was denying them puck and we have a dominating 4 or 5 guys playing defenseman cleaning up whatever gets thru. Once I teach you guys how to stickhandle better you are gonna be licking your chops going up against teams with more CPU's on the ice than humans, especially the CPU defensemen...they are extra tasty.

Strength in numbers is more dangerous than what the CPU can do to us

btw when I was checking the recent results on our team's club page I noticed almost every one of the teams weve played since our dominating run began a month ago havr been Elite teams with great records, seems like the EASHL matchmaking must have changed at some point to factor in your division in the regular season now, not just the playoffs
Same thing happened in the playoffs. You never know if a team is good with the CPU or not, if they are you fucked because the CPU always know where to be in position to receive a pass or shoot the puck. The more humans the more sloppier it gets.

Also, I notice that most of our play now consists of running up the boards and forcing it into the slot. Its pretty predictable and surprisingly hasn't cost us much but it results in needless turnovers.

zsswimmer said:
Also, I notice that most of our play now consists of running up the boards and forcing it into the slot. Its pretty predictable and surprisingly hasn't cost us much but it results in needless turnovers.

yeah getting the puck into the zone is really the only chink in our armor right now. Don't take this too personally everyone but the main reason is a lack of skill and creativity handling the puck across the board.

2 things I remembered they may help a bit that I meant to remind you guys of are when entering the zone near the boards (like we do 90% of the time) try using either:

the Protect Puck button (A) if it looks like u are gonna get smashed. You would be surprised at how you can absorb big hits along the boards

or

Pin yourself to the boards with the Board Play button (Y),sometimes you can get people to fly right by you, at worst you will get pinned and still be able to pass up the boards

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
yeah getting the puck into the zone is really the only chink in our armor right now. Don't take this too personally everyone but the main reason is a lack of skill and creativity handling the puck across the board.

2 things I remembered they may help a bit that I meant to remind you guys of are when entering the zone near the boards (like we do 90% of the time) try using either:

the Protect Puck button (A) if it looks like u are gonna get smashed. You would be surprised at how you can absorb big hits along the boards

or

Pin yourself to the boards with the Board Play button (Y),sometimes you can get people to fly right by you, at worst you will get pinned and still be able to pass up the boards
I absolutely refuse to use this bullshit tactic. I've been trying to use the puck protect more though.

zsswimmer

Marvie_3 said:
I absolutely refuse to use this bullshit tactic. I've been trying to use the puck protect more though.
Yeah but its better than getting run up by goon teams who just look for hits all the time. Balance is a big part too. I swear I've been playing more games where I just bounce of guys after setting up a good check on the boards, really frustrating.

zsswimmer

Well I have to say that those two games displayed the most abysmal offense I've seen. We can't get the puck deep, neutral turnovers, or the winger gets hit. I couldn't nail any of my goddamn passes, and I think I didn't even have a Shot on Goal in either game.

And what the fuck is going on with hitting? These clowns are trucking me and I'm bumping off them like they are the fucking michelin man. Two frustrating games yesterday and two extremely frustrating ones today. I had to cut it short or else I probably would've thrown my controller or something like that.

zsswimmer said:
Well I have to say that those two games displayed the most abysmal offense I've seen. We can't get the puck deep, neutral turnovers, or the winger gets hit. I couldn't nail any of my goddamn passes, and I think I didn't even have a Shot on Goal in either game.

And what the fuck is going on with hitting? These clowns are trucking me and I'm bumping off them like they are the fucking michelin man. Two frustrating games yesterday and two extremely frustrating ones today. I had to cut it short or else I probably would've thrown my controller or something like that.

Dunno but my maxed out checking and strength didn't do shit either. Made me worthless too since I didn't up my poke check so I could hit. :/

Edit: My xbox just froze....

zsswimmer said:

Me and Visualizer stuck it out after you guys left and won 1 game where I had the only goal, my first club goal :)

My overall stats right now are at 70 as a 2-Way Forward when im playing Left Wing. I've got a lot of grinding to do...

zsswimmer said:

yeah, we played teams that knew what they were doing and at the same time put too much on the new guys shoulders asking him to be a big part of the offense in his 1st ever club game against Elite competition. I should have played Center once you showed up. We clicked pretty good once I made the move... or maybe it was because Zaraki disconnected :lol

Good job TackleJerry, notched your 1st goal, your D was pretty solid, you had good ideas and even peeped you broke off some nice dangles once or twice, pretty good 1st night...

Marvie_3

Banned
Good run tonight. 4 straight to finish the day. Now if only we could win 4 in a row during the playoffs. :lol

Good playing with you, TackleJerry. Welcome aboard!

Marvie_3 said:
Good run tonight. 4 straight to finish the day. Now if only we could win 4 in a row during the playoffs. :lol

Good playing with you, TackleJerry. Welcome aboard!

I didn't think it was possible last month, I thought the 10 game win streak could have been just luck and was still skeptical we could hang with the "Elite" teams, but we've been beating up on these same Elite teams for weeks now and I'm finding most of them don't know how to cope when you take away their bread and butter glitch goals.

Thanks for the welcome. Great first time playing with you guys. One of my first club games actually. Actually i sorta take that back, I've joined HF Boards Sharks club, but they never get through a game.

That goal shot off the faceoff :lol
Pretty good shutdowns tonight.

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
I didn't think it was possible last month, I thought the 10 game win streak could have been just luck and was still skeptical we could hang with the "Elite" teams, but we've been beating up on these same Elite teams for weeks now and I'm finding most of them don't know how to cope when you take away their bread and butter glitch goals.
We've gotten a LOT better though. It's really starting to show. We still make a lot of mistakes(turnovers, giving up breakaways) but we're good enough to make up for them when we do. We're still going to get run by certain teams but we can hang with almost anybody it seems.

Giant Robot said:
That goal shot off the faceoff :lol
That was awesome. :lol

Giant Robot said:
I've joined HF Boards Sharks club, but they never get through a game.

what were you thinking :lol

it's shocking you made it out alive after fraternizing with that suicidal cult of tortured people

Marvie_3 said:
We've gotten a LOT better though. It's really starting to show. We still make a lot of mistakes(turnovers, giving up breakaways) but we're good enough to make up for them when we do. We're still going to get run by certain teams but we can hang with almost anybody it seems.

I like your stealthy attempt to point fingers my way...

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
I like your stealthy attempt to point fingers my way...
I turn the puck over way more than you do. :lol

Edit: Just checked. You have WAY more giveaways than I do. I try to force the puck into the slot way too much though.

The breakaways are all your fault though. :lol

Marvie_3 said:
I turn the puck over way more than you do. :lol

Edit: Just checked. You have WAY more giveaways than I do. I try to force the puck into the slot way too much though.

The breakaways are all your fault though. :lol

I just checked the records on the webpage to confirm your accusations, and noticed how incredibly far my +/- has dropped in a month, I think it was -120 or something ridiculous last time I looked. I'm down to -57 now. Just letting you know if I ever reach +1 I'm immediately quitting the club and you will never hear from me again :lol

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
I just checked the records on the webpage to confirm your accusations, and noticed how incredibly far my +/- has dropped in a month, I think it was -120 or something ridiculous last time I looked. I'm down to -57 now. Just letting you know if I ever reach +1 I'm immediately quitting the club and you will never hear from me again :lol
:lol

My +/- for last year was like -250. :lol

this is ridiculous. i have never seen so many retarded goals go in where the puck literally just waltzes in while the goalie stares at it

Top Bottom