• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 11 EASHL Team (360)

Marvie_3

Banned
Alright, roster cleanup is done. Dropped BigJonsson, Zaraki_Kenpachi, CrazedArabMan, LiveWire

Numbers 8, 9, 15, and 68 are all available again.

Might be a few more changes coming soon too.

Nozdeuce

If there was an Official MGO Community Leader, I'd be it
this thread has was more posts but isnt nearly as interesting as the last one during the offseason was :(

needs more rts screencaps

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
this thread has was more posts but isnt nearly as interesting as the last one during the offseason was :(

needs more rts screencaps
That's because there is a significant decrease in the amount of rape jokes and inmate throat punches.

alright peons, I promised it so here it is:

HOW TO PLAY DEFENSEMAN LIKE THE VISUALIZER: PART 1

1) Properly positioning yourself to defend the cross-crease pass threat:
nhldpass1.png

Once the opposing team gains the blue-line and gets setup, as a defenseman you should be positioning yourself on the either your corner of the net (if we have 2 human D-Man) or the strongside corner of the net (if you are the lone human D-Man). You're first responsibility is to prevent the cross-crease pass, do this by constantly readjusting your angle to be in between the passer and potential cross-crease receiver.
EDIT: make sure you poke check at the puck when it's passed towards you to ensure to either intercept it or block the pass.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1A) How to deal with multiple crease threats:
nhldpass2.png

nhldpass2forward.png

Same deal, except it depends on our personnel. If we have 2 human defensemen they should both be taking care of the 2 threats. If we have 1 D-Man then the Center (preferrably) or one of the wingers should be watching the 2nd threat. As a forward it's more important to help out by taking away this option rather than chasing the puckhandler around the outside.

2) Moving as a defense pair to deal with pucks in the corner
nhldnormal.png

nhldcorner.png

This is primarily for when we have 2 human D-Man. If the puck goes to the corner and you think you can get to it before the other team, you need to first check to see if your D-Man partner is down-low in position to help before you decide to go to the puck. If one D-Man goes to corner the other one should slide over to the strong-side corner of the net to cover the spot that you left. This will ensure they are position to defend the cross-crease pass if it develops or be able to stop the other team if they happen to get possession of the puck and try to walk it towards the net.

If you are a solo human defenseman you shouldn't ever go to the corner unless you have coverage from another human forward or you are certain you will be able to get the puck and still have room to move it without being dispossessed. Just take the position on the strongside corner of the net and concede the puck to the other team with the goal of keeping them on the outside. You can move out a bit towards the corner to give them something to think before they get the puck, but back your ass up to the strongside position once they get it so you aren't out of position.

3) Moving as a defense pair to handle pucks behind the net

nhldbehind.png

nhlbehind2.png

nhldnormal.png

Same concept as dealing with pucks in the corner, weakside D-Man should slide over to cover the strongside corner if the other D-Man decides to try to get the puck behind the net. The important thing here is how you recover once the puck is moved weakside behind the net. The strongside D-Man who goes behind to get the puck should not chase it, instead go back to your original position which will now be the weakside of the net. The other D-Man should be the one sliding over to the strongside to prevent wraparounds and cross-crease passes. D-Man behind the net should never chase the puck to the weakside as you give them an easy 2-on-1 opportunity if someone slides down into the mid slot or backdoor.

4) Dealing with screens
nhldscreen.png

nhldblockscreen.png

Screened deflections from shots from the blueline can be deadly if the D-Men don't handle them properly. In the first picture you see 2 Offensive Players setting up for screens in front of the goalie. The D-Man are in their normal corner of the net positions. As a D-Man in NHL11 the only way to deal with screens if you want to stay out of the penalty box is to front the screeners and block the shot yourself. A technique I have found that works well for blocking these kind of long shots is to just stand there (don't lay down or take a knee) and hit the poke check button right before the puck hits you. This does 2 things, it prevents your guy from being injured from the shot and also deflects the puck away from you a bit so the it doesn't just drop to the guy you are screening for a garbage goal.

In general you should only use the laydown block method if you are skating towards someone winding up a slapshot at the point. The kneeldown block is only really good if you skate out at someone who is getting ready to fire a wrister from the highslot, as shots seem to always go around the standing block.

5) Positioning while we are moving the puck though the neutral zone

nhldcarry.png

nhlrush2.png

This is one of the areas all of our D-Man need to really focus on. As a D-Man your primary job while we are attempting to get the puck into the offensive zone is to be an outlet if the forwards or puck carrying defensemen gets in trouble. YOU ARE NOT A PASS OPTION ON THE RUSH. You should always be trailing the play.

Too many times I'll try to carry the puck up the ice and the other D-Man will cut in front of me and block potential passing lanes. The D-Men should be playing behind the play and be spaced wide. If one of the D-Man is carrying the puck the other one needs to position themselves like the 1st picture above. You should be on the opposite side and slightly behind. This way if the D-Man gets in trouble they can make a safe pass back to you and it you will also not be blocking the passing lane to the opposite side winger.

Also as D-Man you need to use these same principles when there is a need to reposition. If a D-Man has to skate the puck towards your side, simply roll back around behind them, don't stand around, and don't cut in front of them. See picture #2 above. Same thing when forwards happen to be down low in the defensive zone. If you happen to be in front of them, just double back around behind. There are times where you can take on the wingers positions on the rush if the situation is right, but 99% of the time you should be the trailer.

PART 2 COMING SOON!

Marvie_3

Banned
Excellent write up so far. One thing to remember is that the center is basically a 3rd defenseman when we're in the defensive zone. Their sole job is to cover the slot. They should never go out wider than the faceoff dots or out farther than the top of the circle.

Wingers should never drop below the hash marks either. We get burned a lot because too many of us are chasing the puck around. Defense in hockey is a mixture of man defense and zone defense. Everything breaks down when we're chasing the puck around.

Nozdeuce

I'm not used to how awesome amazing Viz is, I keep trying to race him into his corner to get the loose puck :(

Nozdeuce said:
I'm not used to how awesome amazing Viz is, I keep trying to race him into his corner to get the loose puck :(

Haha, I have the opposite problem. When I play drop in games and stuff I'm so used to be backed up/competent defense that I get screwed over. :(

Are you guys seriously going to tank?

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:

I find it funny that you had the same reaction Marvie did to my idea... both you hesitated just long enough to actually seriously consider doing it... lol

Marvie_3

Banned
TheVisualizer said:
I find it funny that you had the same reaction Marvie did to my idea... both you hesitated just long enough to actually seriously consider doing it... lol
I'm still serious about it. Why do you think I suggested Manchot/(fill in the blank) playing 2s? :lol

Nozdeuce

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Haha, I have the opposite problem. When I play drop in games and stuff I'm so used to be backed up/competent defense that I get screwed over. :(

lol, I've played enough with ai defense to not trust anyone with anything. except Viz <3

SnakeswithLasers said:
SCORE GOALS TOUGH GUY
we should play the killzone 3 online multiplayer beta whenever the fuck the online multiplayer part of it starts working again. played this morning and earlier this afternoon. it's fun'ish

Marvie_3

Banned
Nozdeuce said:
we should play the killzone 3 online multiplayer beta whenever the fuck the online multiplayer part of it starts working again. played this morning and earlier this afternoon. it's fun'ish
You need to stop playing this crap and play NHL more often.

Nozdeuce

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Man fuck ya'll. My plus minus is finally under -100. I already considered retirement for this acheivement. :lol
I'm only +7 :(

Nozdeuce

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Maybe you missed the negative in front of mine. :p
oh I saw

+/- sucks anyway, I'm gunning for most hits. I'M COMING FOR YOU SWIMMER

Nozdeuce

zsswimmer said:
I'm glad I finally notched another goal, I always seem to hit the post if its a good shot. Those games were bs though.
I'm going to force you to get way more, you were always in the perfect place for me to pass it to you <3

Nozdeuce

Marvie_3 said:
That's only if your crappy passes get there in the first place. ;)
Hey! My passes don't take shit. They do what they want. It's like amazing jazz, never know what's going to happen.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Marvie_3 said:
When is Viz going to get off his lazy ass and post the rest of his defensive teachings? I need something to read at work.
we can't just post video of manchot and say 'dont do this'?

sorry manchot

Zaraki_Kenpachi said:
Says the guy who doesn't even play anymore!

My D isn't that bad, I just can't score goals for shit.

you take a lot of shit from everyone for being a "TOP PLAYER" on our club page...

I'd feel sorry and defend you, but I remembered your a Penguins fan

TheVisualizer said:
you take a lot of shit from everyone for being a "TOP PLAYER" on our club page...

I'd feel sorry and defend you, but I remembered your a Penguins fan
I've warned people for a while that if I'm a "top player" the team isn't doing so well! :lol

Top Bottom