• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I have $4000 saved up for playoff tickets. I'm thinking $200 x2 for first round, $400 x1 for second round, $500 x 1 for third round, $1000ish x2 for finals. God damn, so expensive, I can buy that trip to Europe I always wanted with that... but it will be a memorable experience.

I got my ticket to game 1 already.

Well by the end of the playoffs you should have $3600 left, so that's more than enough ;)

Some WHC before the playoffs, Team Canada is looking pretty stacked right now, at least in forwards. Getzlaf, Perry, Skinner, Ladd, Tavares, Kane and Eberle is so far confirmed. Stamkos and Benn are both also excepted to join the team.

Some WHC before the playoffs, Team Canada is looking pretty stacked right now, at least in forwards. Getzlaf, Perry, Skinner, Ladd, Tavares, Kane and Eberle is so far confirmed. Stamkos and Benn are both also excepted to join the team.

Dion Phaneuf is going to lead the defence corps. to the gold

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Phaneuf, Bouwmeester and Subban all on the back end. As much as I dislike Phaneuf, a pairing of him and Subban would wipe other teams off the ice.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Too bad Price is hurt, I would have liked to seen him play on international ice, and I hope Desharnais gets an invite. Also depending how the Pens / Flyers series turns out we could get Crosby or Giroux.

No you fool! Team Canada need to WIN!
But Drew Doughty's Canadian...

Too bad Price is hurt, I would have liked to seen him play on international ice, and I hope Desharnais gets an invite. Also depending how the Pens / Flyers series turns out we could get Crosby or Giroux.
Staal, Letang and Fleury too!

If Chicago gets knocked out, it could send Toews, Keith and Seabrook to the WHC.

So in Canada's best interests, Phoenix needs to sweep Chicago. Flyers need to sweep Pens.

Socreges

Banned
I thought Stamkos said he wasn't going?

Looks like the games start as early as 2am PST. At least the gold medal game starts at 1030am.

SpectreFire said:
But Drew Doughty's Canadian...
If I'm not mistaken, Dastardly Jerks is suggesting that Drew Doughty is a terrible defenseman and therefore his participation in the tournament would be a detriment to Team Canada's chance of success. This is an ironic and amusing proposition since Drew Doughty is often regarded as a very good hockey player.

If I'm not mistaken, Dastardly Jerks is suggesting that Drew Doughty is a terrible defenseman and therefore his participation in the tournament would be a detriment to Team Canada's chance of success. This is an ironic and amusing proposition since Drew Doughty is often regarded as a very good hockey player.

Precisely this, but it's also funny because Drew Doughty was a HUGE part of Team Canadas 2010 Olympic gold.

Bottom line, taking any chance to shoot at a Queen - even when they aren't even repping.

pringles

NHL.com predictions (if anyone even cares)
2 out of 13 pick the Wings to beat Nashville.

Nashville.

The team that's won 1 playoff series in their franchise history.

5 out of 13 also pick them to win the West, making them the favorite in the Conference.

Can anyone explain what is going on?

Marvie_3

Banned

FOOTE

Late to the prediction game, but here are my guesses.

Western Conference
Round 1
Los Angeles vs Vancouver - Vancouver in 5
San Jose vs St. Louis - St. Louis in 7
Chicago vs Phoenix - Chicago in 7
Detroit vs Nashville - Nashville in 7

Round 2
Chicago vs Vancouver - Vancouver in 6
Nashville vs St. Louis - Nashville in 6

Western Conference Finals
Nashville vs Vancouver - Nashville in 7

Eastern Conference
Round 1
Ottawa vs New York - New York in 6
Washington vs Boston - Boston in 5
New Jersey vs Florida - New Jersey in 5
Philadelphia vs Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh in 6

Round 2
New Jersey vs New York - New York in 6
Pittsburgh vs Boston - Pittsburgh in 5

Eastern Conference Finals
Pittsburgh vs New York - Pittsburgh in 6

Stanley Cup Finals
Nashville vs Pittsburgh - Pittsburgh in 5

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window

Nashville.

5 out of 13 also pick them to win the West, making them the favorite in the Conference.

nashville is definitely being overhyped, but im not sure using 1 playoff series win in history is really a valid argument for what a team can accomplish. fact is they've been close for years. they gave the wings fits in 08, they gave the hawks fits in 10 and they played vancouver damn tough last year. all of those teams either won the cup or went to the SCF (oh you canucks)

the knock has always been scoring, where they've routinely finished in the low to mid 20s in the league. this year they were #9. they also had the #1 PP in the league this year. PK is a little rougher at #10, but they have killed 54 of their last 60. rinne can steal games. its not hard to see why people are picking this team, but im as surprised as you guys with how many are discounting the wings

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

Nashville.

Nashville got better as the year went on and even added a few good/great players at the deadline and after.

Detroit got much worse as the year went on and added nobody at the deadline to change that.

Nashville.

The Preds are built for the playoffs and the Wings have been in a slump. I think most people picking are just looking at this year and not the Preds entire history.

Nashville got better as the year went on and even added a few good/great players at the deadline and after.

Detroit got much worse as the year went on and added nobody at the deadline to change that.

We got Quincey which put our NHL 12 defensive rating up to 97 or whatever, so yeah!

no they didn't. not sure where you're getting this from.

Hmm, yeah. I got it from a local DJ on the radio. Typical Pittsburgh...There was something I remember the Flyers touting as a huge advantage in the Conference Finals that year, then the Pens won it 4-1. I thought, wrongly, it was a season sweep. Now I can't remember what it was. I hate getting old.

The last season sweep was in 2006-2007 by the Pens. Irrelevant...lol.

Anyways, just 34 more hours! I CAN'T WAIT.

From what I've seen most of the brackets have some homer picks.With that in mind it's not hard to see why Pens and Canucks are leading the results.

The way I look at my picks is a mix of what I think is probable and what I would like to see happen. Tough to distinguish where the two intersect.

Maybe, but Canucks just won't the presidents trophy and Penguins have everyone healthy again, and malkin had an absolutely beastly year. Homer or not, it's not like they're unreasonable picks either.

Oh my god! It starts in 1 day! Wednesday boys, Wednesday.

Quick question, will tsn and cbc carry the majority of the playoff games?

------

And what's the first game going to be on Wednesday? Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia I assume?

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm joining Hawks-GAF this playoff season...
ibiZ6XWrlu5FZi.gif

UberTag

Honestly, I'm a little disappointed you didn't take the Caps in round 1.
need that reverse jinx
Reverse jinx gimmickry
had a solid track record last season. I legit thought the Bruins would lose to both Montreal and Tampa Bay at the start of their respective series and I believe vatstep was right with me there.

I will also admit to outright homerism in my picks. Both teams from Pennsylvania scare the hell out of me. The other teams I am actively cheering for in Round 1 = Ottawa, Florida, Philadelphia.

Slurmer

Banned

Nashville.

Nashville is good

ShaneB

Oh my god! It starts in 1 day! Wednesday boys, Wednesday.

Quick question, will tsn and cbc carry the majority of the playoff games?

------

And what's the first game going to be on Wednesday? Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia I assume?

Correct sir, CBC and TSN/TSN2 will carry all the games you care to see. The first round gets a little messy with games overlapping obviously, but no need to worry.

Yeah, on wednesday it's Pens/Flyers on TSN, Preds/Wings and Kings/Canucks on CBC. Can't wait!

Also... is it worthwhile to pick up NHL 09 for pc? It's 10 bucks, I need some hockey game action finally after having stayed away for years where I'll say I'll eventually get the next one.

pringles

nashville is definitely being overhyped, but im not sure using 1 playoff series win in history is really a valid argument for what a team can accomplish. fact is they've been close for years. they gave the wings fits in 08, they gave the hawks fits in 10 and they played vancouver damn tough last year. all of those teams either won the cup or went to the SCF (oh you canucks)

the knock has always been scoring, where they've routinely finished in the low to mid 20s in the league. this year they were #9. they also had the #1 PP in the league this year. PK is a little rougher at #10, but they have killed 54 of their last 60. rinne can steal games. its not hard to see why people are picking this team, but im as surprised as you guys with how many are discounting the wings
Good points, but being a hard team to play against and being 'close' is different from having what it takes to go all the way. I'm not surprised people are picking them, just that so many are. Jimmy Howard was as good or better than Rinne before he got injured. And despite their slump, Detroit has allowed less goals than Nashville and scored more. Add in all that playoff experience, proven playoff performers like Zetterberg, Franzen.. I think a lot of "experts" will eat their words.

Nashville is good
Good teams don't win the cup.

RC

Banned
Let's me get aboard the predictions train:

Vancouver over LA in 6
St. Louis over San Jose in 5
Chicago over Phoniex in 6
Nashville over Detroit in 7

NY over Ottawa in 6
Boston over Washington in 5 (Prove me wrong Caps)
NJ over Florida in 4
Pittsburgh over Philly in 6

snack

Are the Preds heavy favorites in their first round matchup? I'm one of the few that believe Detroit will beat Nashville in the first round.

The Wings are always good come playoff time. They got veterans that know the game inside out.

Are the Preds heavy favorites in their first round matchup? I'm one of the few that believe Detroit will beat Nashville in the first round.

The Wings are always good come playoff time. They got veterans that know the game inside out.

I'm one of the few exceptions that picked Detroir over Nashville as well. But we will see. I think Detroit is a scary team in the playoffs.

Top Bottom