• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I'd be pretty surprised if Neal is suspended. No way he gets 3 games. I think he'll get $3500 in fines, across the two hits.

No way. He went headhunting twice on two straight shifts. He's gone at least a game--my guess is for two.

Socreges

Banned
I feel bad for Shaw, but what a stupid play by him. Although it would have looked like a brilliant sacrifice had Smith been out of the series with LaBarbera taking his place. Easily could have been the case.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
So what would everyone have given all these guys if they were in charge?

Here's my picks

Weber - 1 game
Carkner - 3 games
Hagelin - 3 games
Shaw - 1 game
Asham - 5 games
Backstrom - 3 games
Neal - 3 games

Weber - 3 games
Carkner - Remainder of series
Hagelin - 3 games
Shaw - 1 game (tops)
Asham - 7 games (equivalent to one full playoff series)
Backstrom - 3 games
Neal - 3 games

(Yes, I know I've been calling the Hagelin thing bullshit, but it's only bullshit because there's no standard, not because a blow to the head does not deserve 3 games.)

Acid08

Banned
No way. He went headhunting twice on two straight shifts. He's gone at least a game--my guess is for two.
If he doesn't get suspended then that's some seriously crazy shit.

Bettman would have to interfere to make sure the Pens can come back ;)

Lucky. I don't think there's much of a chance my 6:30-9 class will be canceled.

Having a class that only meets once a week cancelled seems to happen only about once a year (we only have 10 weeks per quarter) so it's I'm thanking which ever deity was responsible for this

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
True story: In my entire college career, I had zero classes canceled. Disappointment did not begin to describe that feeling.

Fixed1979

Sorry--if you want this crap to stop, you've got to get tough.

Why would Shaw be the only one to get away with an illegal hit to the head...actually I guess this technically classified as a hit to the head, my bad.

Either way, no love for Chicago, I'll view this as the additional games I would have liked to have seen Keith get.

Weber - Key to the city
Carkner - Pat on the back from coach
Hagelin - One free shot on all of the milquetoast whiners on NHLgaf
Shaw - Another chance to finish the job
Asham - An autographed picture from Chris Simon
Backstrom - Tee times for next week.
Neal - Must wear "U MAD" on back of jersey for rest of series

Marvie_3

Banned
Coyotes announced Smith will be starting tonight. Man, Smith really seems to feel better right after Shaw gets penalized/suspended. This is twice now
Imagine that.....

Shaw getting 3 games is fucking bullshit. Shanahan needs to go. How can one person possibly fuck up at their job this much?

Why would Shaw be the only one to get away with an illegal hit to the head...actually I guess this isn't viewed as a hit to the head, my bad.

Because out of all of those listed there, he was the only one without malicious intent? (I don't have all those player's infractions memorized but from looking at it, everyone went out of their way to elbow/punch/smash someone's head)

True story: In my entire college career, I had zero classes canceled. Disappointment did not begin to describe that feeling.

Our entire school had class cancelled for multiple days for the first time like.. ever in it's history thanks to the crazy ass blizzard Chicago had.

Imagine that.....

Shaw getting 3 games is fucking bullshit. Shanahan needs to go. How can one person possibly fuck up at their job this much?

There's no way these decisions are coming from him at this point. I seriously cannot believe that.

Fixed1979

Because out of all of those listed there, he was the only one without malicious intent? (I don't have all those player's infractions memorized but from looking at it, everyone went out of their way to elbow/punch/smash someone's head)

meh, if you're going to go all out then go all out. There's no reason to hit anyone in the head when the player getting hit doesn't move (vertically) prior to the hit.

Acid08

Banned
Sharks FB page posted a video of Burns goal last night saying "How sweet was this goal?!"

Every comment is "Would have been much sweeter to win the fucking game." Bravo.

Heard some boos in the Tank last night too, not entirely unexpected. They've booed the Sharks special teams many times before.

Fixed1979

Guess they're taking goalie contact more seriously now:

I'm not sure if Dreger was being serious there...I don't follow him.

The suspension in relation to other suspensions doesn't make any sense whatsoever. That said, I'm not surprised and this is in line with what I'd like to see going foward...of course the next one will be a stabbing by a Boston player and we'll be back to a 1 game suspension.

meh, if you're going to go all out then go all out. There's no reason to hit anyone in the head when the player getting hit doesn't move (vertically) prior to the hit.

That's awesome logic... but how about "if you're going to do the job, do the job right"? If Shanny is all about "sending a message" that you need to lay off goaltenders, then he should have suspended Lucic for running Miller, which was clearly intentional. But instead, he's going to suspend someone that yes, did hit the goaltender, but didn't do it with malicious intent and tried to minimize contact as best as possible.

Throw in Smith grabbing his cage and laying on the ice until Shaw was kicked out, plus him being a "game time decision" prior to the suspension (and ten minutes after the suspension hits he's announced that he's going to play), it's just continuing the shitshow that has been the first round playoffs.

No shit there's no reason to hit the player in the head. That's why Shaw received a game misconduct and a 5 minute major.

I know that all this bitching and moaning doesn't get me or anyone else anywhere in the long run, but I just had class cancelled so I got all day with nothing to do. Lawl

MutFox

Banned
There's no way these decisions are coming from him at this point. I seriously cannot believe that.

Probably, they just just needed a face that a lot of people respected.
I think his image is quickly being tarnished though.

Which sucks, cause I really liked Shanny as a player.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Weber - 1 game
Carkner - 2 games
Hagelin - 3 games
Shaw - 1 game
Asham - 5 games
Backstrom - 2 games
Neal - 7 games (he has two hearings)

I guess something like that.

I agree with this, but maybe Neal only 5, since both of his weren't as bad as a single Hagelin hit... Or are you saying because it's 2 it gets even worse? definitely agree with the Asham 5 at least. I'm extremely curious to see what he'll get.

3 for Shaw is a hilarious joke, should've been 1 at MAX. Yes, he didn't avoid hitting him, but it's not like he full on intentionally grabbed his head and - oh wait we got that joke covered already, nvm.

TL;DR of postseason suspensions: LMFAO.

Smiley90

He suspended Doan when the Coyotes were making a push to make the playoffs. Seriously, enough of this conspiracy garbage.

I liked how you said "star players have consistently been suspended" When we're mentioning the Weber hit on every page.

Cat Party

Sharks FB page posted a video of Burns goal last night saying "How sweet was this goal?!"

Every comment is "Would have been much sweeter to win the fucking game." Bravo.

Heard some boos in the Tank last night too, not entirely unexpected. They've booed the Sharks special teams many times before.

That game was so typical of this season. Spot the other team some PP goals, then put on a ferocious push at the end of the game that comes up short.

Marvie_3

Banned
He suspended Doan when the Coyotes were making a push to make the playoffs. Seriously, enough of this conspiracy garbage.
Doan is a repeat offender. He had no choice. Doan's hit was far worse than Shaw's yet Doan misses 3 regular season games and Shaw gets 3 playoff games.

Fixed1979

That's awesome logic... but how about "if you're going to do the job, do the job right"? If Shanny is all about "sending a message" that you need to lay off goaltenders, then he should have suspended Lucic for running Miller, which was clearly intentional. But instead, he's going to suspend someone that yes, did hit the goaltender, but didn't do it with malicious intent and tried to minimize contact as best as possible.

Throw in Smith grabbing his cage and laying on the ice until Shaw was kicked out, plus him being a "game time decision" prior to the suspension (and ten minutes after the suspension hits he's announced that he's going to play), it's just continuing the shitshow that has been the first round playoffs.

No shit there's no reason to hit the player in the head. That's why Shaw received a game misconduct and a 5 minute major.

I know that all this bitching and moaning doesn't get me or anyone else anywhere in the long run, but I just had class cancelled so I got all day with nothing to do. Lawl

It's already quite clear that there's no doing this job right, we've gone too far. The only thing left to do is take the suspensions to the extreme just to see what happens.

I have nothing to add and agree with pretty much everything you said except that a game misconduct and 5 is enough for a hit to the head...

Edit: I don't follow the other NA major sports nearly as closely as hockey but it seems that most hockey talk is about rules and regulation (even in the regular season and at least for me), is that the same for the NBA and MLB. I get the impression that we're a special lot.

Doan is a repeat offender. He had no choice. Doan's hit was far worse than Shaw's yet Doan misses 3 regular season games and Shaw gets 3 playoff games.

Here's the problem with this logic. There's no way in hell Shanahan is sophisticated/involved enough in regards to the NHL's actual business that he would see that incentive in helping out the Coyotes. So that means someone actually needed to take him aside and influence it for that reason. I realistically don't see that being possible.

Wow, Shaw got 3 games for that? I hope they release some video like the NFL did last year with all the questionable head 2 head/ defenseless receiver hits after last season, explaining the differences in all these suspensions / non-suspensions.

Cat Party

I liked how you said "star players have consistently been suspended" When we're mentioning the Weber hit on every page.

I'll give you a glimpse into an alternate reality. Most people seem to agree that Weber deserved one game (I know I do). Had he gotten the one game, and everything else played out the same, you would still see people complaining that Weber got off easy.

Marvie_3

Banned
Here's the problem with this logic. There's no way in hell Shanahan is sophisticated/involved enough in regards to the NHL's actual business that he would see that incentive in helping out the Coyotes. So that means someone actually needed to take him aside and influence it for that reason. I realistically don't see that being possible.

You do realize he's the Vice President of Hockey and Business Development for the NHL right? A position he's had for 2 years longer than he's been in charge of discipline? He's involved in a lot more than you think.

So what would everyone have given all these guys if they were in charge?

Here's my picks

Weber - 1 game
Carkner - 3 games
Hagelin - 3 games
Shaw - 1 game
Asham - 5 games
Backstrom - 3 games
Neal - 3 games

Tying these to injuries is utter bullshit. Did the guy go after the other guy's head? If so, then he's suspended. Period. Stop with the "well, he didn't hit him hard enough to hurt him" bullshit. If you want head-hunting to stop, make it damn clear that it's gonna stop.

Here are my suggestions:
Weber - out for the series. Frankly, his was the worst. This wasn't even pretending to be a hockey play. He grabbed Z's head and smashed it into the glass twice. If he pulled that shit in a bar he'd be arrested for assault.
Carkner - 3 games
Hagelin - 3 games
Shaw - fined $10k for hitting the goalie. No game suspension.
Asham - out for the series. If this was just the high cross check it would have been maybe 1 game, but punching the guy in the back of the head after he was down? You're done.
Backstrom - sorry, didn't see it, can't comment
Neal - 6 games (2 separate head-hunting shots).

Bottom line: KEEP YOUR FUCKING ELBOWS DOWN. Yes, this is playoff hockey, but let's cut the bullshit. You can deliver a hard hit without trying to take someone out of the game by headhunting.

I have nothing to add and agree with pretty much everything you said except that a game misconduct and 5 is enough for a hit to the head...

Agree to disagree I guess. If Shaw threw out his elbow, then my tune would be completely changed. For me it boils down to if there's intent to injure or not (everyone says it's "impossible to judge intent on a video", but in many cases it seems pretty obvious if they're trying to hurt the other player [throwing elbows, leaving feet, other shitty things])

Is it 8 o'clock yet?

Fixed1979

Tying these to injuries is utter bullshit. Did the guy go after the other guy's head? If so, then he's suspended. Period. Stop with the "well, he didn't hit him hard enough to hurt him" bullshit. If you want head-hunting to stop, make it damn clear that it's gonna stop.

Here are my suggestions:
Weber - out for the series. Frankly, his was the worst. This wasn't even pretending to be a hockey play. He grabbed Z's head and smashed it into the glass twice. If he pulled that shit in a bar he'd be arrested for assault.
Carkner - 3 games
Hagelin - 3 games
Asham - out for the series. If this was just the high cross check it would have been maybe 1 game, but punching the guy in the back of the head after he was down? You're done.

Bottom line: KEEP YOUR FUCKING ELBOWS DOWN. Yes, this is playoff hockey, but let's cut the bullshit. You can deliver a hard hit without trying to take someone out of the game by headhunting.

Nit picking but if you're going to fine Shaw then 2.5k is the max...

Watching that replay, the hit looks completely accidental. Shouldn't even be a suspension, IMO, let alone three games.

The hit looked accidental or the contact to the head? He had to turn into Smith to make contact, this isn't him skating at full speed then looking up and the goaltender is suddenly right there.

Acid08

Banned
That game was so typical of this season. Spot the other team some PP goals, then put on a ferocious push at the end of the game that comes up short.
So frustrating how easily we handed then two of those PP goals. They don't even have to move to get our players out of position.

Smiley90

Here are my suggestions:
Carkner - 3 games
Hagelin - 3 games

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCXZLEOx5uY

lol@commentators "that's as bad as Asham's!"... no, no it's not. It' bad, but nowhere near as bad as Asham's.

Cat Party

So frustrating how easily we handed then two of those PP goals. They don't even have to move to get our players out of position.

Arnott could have had a siren on his helmet on the second PP and nothing would have changed.

I like the personnel on this team, but if they can't kill penalties in the playoffs, they don't deserve to be here, and they won't even get a game 6.

Acid08

Banned
Arnott could have had a siren on his helmet on the second PP and nothing would have changed.

I like the personnel on this team, but if they can't kill penalties in the playoffs, they don't deserve to be here, and they won't even get a game 6.
I like the team and I think they're much better than their record and recent play indicate but I really don't have any faith in our coaching staff, especially the assistants.

Marleau being Marleau too.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
saying Weber incident is worse than Asham throws any credibility you could hope to have out the window

Top Bottom