• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Cake Boss

Banned
Woke up a little hungover today.missed class fuck it.

My experience last night was fucking nuts, there is nothing like playoff hockey in a canadian city, absolutly amazing. That was the loudest hockey game I have been to in this city and largly due to the younger crowd being drunk and nuts. Being that this franchise is still only 20 years old, its only now that their fans that grew up watching the team can finally afford to go the games instead of the bandwagon boring ass government crowd, and it showed last night, now if only we could win a fucking home game, ever since that stupid ass Spartan intro we are in a 7 game home losing streak.

WARNING: LOUD, makes your ear cum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pS9YwvPkAI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

And oh holy fuck did Spezza play like pure garbage last night, otherwise an entertaining game, not worried.

The Flyers, the Broad Street Bullies, the team that melted down when playing this same Penguins team just three weeks ago, have regularly been among the league leaders in penalty minutes, not to mention historically being proponents of winning through anarchy, are the voice of reason.

Dare we even say it in the wake of Sunday's mayhem-filled 8-4 victory that took the Flyers one step closer to a shocking sweep of their cross-state rivals? The Flyers have emerged as the good guys in this little morality play.

Link

Yep, everyone saying that there's no narrative that plays against the Flyers year in and year out is totally right. I need to stop reading ESPN.

On last night, didn't get to watch a whole lot of the games. Caps game was on at the place I ate after class, but I didn't get out til 8 so.... Caps actually looked pretty good from what I saw. I really do think that series will go the distance. Hoping the Caps win, but I'm not sure how likely that is. That first Bruins goal last night was Fleury-esque.

My experience last night was fucking nuts, there is nothing like playoff hockey in a canadian city, absolutly amazing. That was the loudest hockey game I have been to in this city and largly due to the younger crowd being drunk and nuts. Being that this franchise is still only 20 years old, its only now that their fans that grew up watching the team can finally afford to go the games instead of the bandwagon boring ass government crowd, and it showed last night, now if only we could win a fucking home game, ever since that stupid ass Spartan intro we are in a 7 game home losing streak.

And oh holy fuck did Spezza play like pure garbage last night, otherwise an entertaining game, not worried.

warning: this is loud as fuck

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Link

Yep, everyone saying that there's no narrative that plays against the Flyers year in and year out is totally right. I need to stop reading ESPN.

On last night, didn't get to watch a whole lot of the games. Caps game was on at the place I ate after class, but I didn't get out til 8 so.... Caps actually looked pretty good from what I saw. I really do think that series will go the distance. Hoping the Caps win, but I'm not sure how likely that is. That first Bruins goal last night was Fleury-esque.

Not sure what else you'd expect from ESPN, who appears to only put hockey on their network when Crosby is involved. They don't pay attention at all.

Also, I'm really sick of people attributing actions/performance in previous seasons to the current season. "Hey, they used to be the Broad Street Bullies! That means they're the meanest team in the league now, right?"

hwalker84

That's way louder than it gets at Consol Energy.

Sens need to get some high slappers going. No head height or anything, but high enough to make these Rangers think twice before blocking every fucking shot. Especially Spezza, he's got a rocket and hasn't been using it.

long-neck-reaction.jpg

Holy fuck, give us a volume warning next time. Saw apocal's, but didn't think it'd be THAT loud. :lol

Also, I'm really sick of people attributing actions/performance in previous seasons to the current season. "Hey, they used to be the Broad Street Bullies! That means they're the meanest team in the league now, right?"

That's kinda my point.... I've been saying for a while now that it affects how games get called too.

ShaneB

That's way louder than it gets at Consol Energy.

Canadian team that most gave zero chance to make the playoffs. Damn right the fans there are going bonkers to show their support.

And thanks for the warning apocalidiot, lol, listening to Hockeycentral and played that video during the break, it would've been blasted.

UberTag

Flyers fans don't want their team to play the Bruins.
Bruins fans don't want their team to play the Flyers.

And yet we know from the past two years what's likely going to happen.
Why not embrace the rivalry?

(Personally, I want the matchup to happen. Just don't want to see it until the conference finals stage. This rubber match is Conference Finals-worthy.)

Once again, let's go Panthers.

pringles

aww, cmon baby, why we gotta fight?

It's a sign of respect dude.. The Preds are no longer some harmless team that simply happened to once win big against Detroit in a meaningless game, and thus you are no longer just a harmless fan of a meaningless team. We are enemies until Detroit wins this series (in 6).

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Let's go Red Wings, wooooo........ :(

Hey, we're almost guaranteed a win with the stellar 2nd line of Franzen-Datsyuk-Cleary.

Thanks, Babcock! Let's basically take everything Datsyuk can do and negate it by putting him on a line with Franzen and Cleary.

Hey, we're almost guaranteed a win with the stellar 2nd line of Franzen-Datsyuk-Cleary.

Thanks, Babcock! Let's basically take everything Datsyuk can do and negate it by putting him on a line with Franzen and Cleary.

Cleary has been playing well but that is mostly because he is hopped up on so many drugs that he doesn't realize his knee is about implode on itself, and Franzen....... Yeah they never turned the switch on him from regular season to playoffs. D and Nyquist played great together last game too. Do or die tonight pretty much, if the Wings win this it will go to game 7 with a toss up on who will win, Wings lose, I say they will get kicked in 5.

Not sure if this has been posted yet.... might be my favorite one yet...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Uuv36SNZApU

Oh Hitler, you so crazy.

SpacLock

DETROIT – If the Nashville Predators want to play ping-pong to unwind before or after practices at Joe Louis Arena, they need to bring their own table.

Dave Strader, the former Detroit Red Wings TV play-by-play man who is working the series for NBC, reports on NHL.com that a few Red Wings, including Todd Bertuzzi, wouldn't allow the Predators to use the ping-pong table that sits in the hallway, between the dressing rooms, calling it a bit of gamesmanship.

The Red Wings used to kick a soccer ball around the hallway to loosen up and unwind, like many NHL teams do. This year, they took up ping-pong.

Get your own damn table you bums.

Edit: Franzen on Legwand holding him from the bench and giving a slash in return:

“If he does it again, I’m going to do it again,'' Franzen said. “He got called for it and I’m happy for that. We’re a good team four-on-four, so if he’s going to do that again, I’m happy to do it.''

Franzen also has an alternate plan.

“Maybe I’ll drag him out onto the ice and sit on him,'' Franzen said. “I don’t know, maybe do something else. The ref wouldn’t have called him if I wouldn’t have done that. He needed help from (other officials) to figure that out, so that would never have been called otherwise.”

Get your own damn table you bums.

Edit: Franzen on Legwand holding him from the bench and giving a slash in return:

Bertuzzi thing was posted earlier, dang Nashville, they be stealing our ping-pong tables!

Also at least Franzen is good for something right now, can't really say for much else beyond trying to take someones balls off.

ShaneB

Reading Frazen's spiel is depressing. What a sad state of officiating/gamesmanship when a player says he'll retaliate like that. It's nothing against Franzen, well maybe a little, but just about the situation in general, it's certainly not unique I mean.

Only a few days more till Zetterberg and company join the Sedins and Edler on the golf course

:(

Reading Frazen's spiel is depressing. What a sad state of officiating/gamesmanship when a player says he'll retaliate like that. It's nothing against Franzen, well maybe a little, but just about the situation in general, it's certainly not unique I mean.

It will take a lot of effort on Franzen to retaliate because he seems to fall down when he comes into slight contact with other players recently. Which I guess is why he said he would sit on him because that is all he could really do anyways.

bardia

How has Shanahan not made a decision on Shaw yet? They play their game TONIGHT. What a fucking joke the NHL has become with this bullshit "we're suspending based on injury". If you want to cut all the bullshit out, suspend based on intent and action, not the result.

Fixed1979

How has Shanahan not made a decision on Shaw yet? They play their game TONIGHT. What a fucking joke the NHL has become with this bullshit "we're suspending based on injury". If you want to cut all the bullshit out, suspend based on intent and action, not the result.

No decision on Shaw, Shanny is busy.

Arron Asham @ 5PM
James Neil was @ 10AM
Backstroms is now @ 3:30PM

I'm not defending it because I actually agree with you in terms of what should be done, but this "suspending based on injury" is not new.

Exactly.

Also, saw a jersey that looked like a Hawks winter classic jersey from a distance. Got closer and it was an Ottawa jersey.

Who the fuck wears an Ottawa jersey in Chicago? :lol

That's kinda my point.... I've been saying for a while now that it affects how games get called too.
So we are seriously using ESPN to back our hockey opinions now?

Flyers play a tough game and have been doing that for a long time. Not necessarily ugly but tough and therefore the games easily get a lot more tension then other games and that results in more penalties, both way! Cause that's what everyone been saying the other times you have come dragging with this, you guys get much more penalties with you then other teams are you gonna blame that on reputation too?

So we are seriously using ESPN to back our hockey opinions now?

Flyers play a tough game and have been doing that for a long time. Not necessarily ugly but tough and therefore the games easily get a lot more tension then other games and that results in more penalties, both way! Cause that's what everyone been saying the other times you have come dragging with this, you guys get much more penalties with you then other teams are you gonna blame that on reputation too?

That doesn't explain the trend though. If we were talking about any season in a vacuum sure, but I don't think the Flyers have broken higher than 24th in YEARS. (EDIT: I'm completely off on this. Checked the last ten. There are a few specific outliers. They do seem to be much lower on a regular basis though.) Also there were a number of teams with better differentials this year, but the Flyers had over 30 minutes more in penalties than the next most penalized team. Call out ESPN all you want, they're just the ones dumb enough to say anything. The same thing gets said in more veiled ways on every other network. Flyers were also the most penalized team in the league this year WITHOUT Pronger. You would expect things to improve with him out, but no.

Listen, I'm not saying it's a giant conspiracy or anything. What I'm saying is that on the borders the Flyers get screwed based on reputation. I think you would get any professional analyst to agree. It's part of the game. For some reason though it doesn't seem to translate to other teams as readily. For instance, by now you would expect the Nucks to get more borderline diving calls due to reputation, but they don't.

Flyers fans don't want their team to play the Bruins.
Bruins fans don't want their team to play the Flyers.

And yet we know from the past two years what's likely going to happen.
Why not embrace the rivalry?

(Personally, I want the matchup to happen. Just don't want to see it until the conference finals stage. This rubber match is Conference Finals-worthy.)

Once again, let's go Panthers.

Screw that. I want a cup this year. Not more injuries and a worn out team. I think we are capable of beating the Bruins, I'm just not confident it will actually happen. The Rangers on the other hand.... yea we'd be fucked. Go Caps. Go Sens.

Fixed1979

That doesn't explain the trend though. If we were talking about any season in a vacuum sure, but I don't think the Flyers have broken higher than 24th in YEARS. Also there were a number of teams with better differentials this year, but the Flyers had over 30 minutes more in penalties than the next most penalized team. Call out ESPN all you want, they're just the ones dumb enough to say anything. The same thing gets said in more veiled ways on every other network. Flyers were also the most penalized team in the league this year WITHOUT Pronger. You would expect things to improve with him out, but no.

Listen, I'm not saying it's a giant conspiracy or anything. What I'm saying is that on the borders the Flyers get screwed based on reputation. I think you would get any professional analyst to agree. It's part of the game. For some reason though it doesn't seem to translate to other teams as readily. For instance, by now you would expect the Nucks to get more borderline diving calls due to reputation, but they don't.

Screw that. I want a cup this year. Not more injuries and a worn out team. I think we are capable of beating the Bruins, I'm just not confident it will actually happen. The Rangers on the other hand.... yea we'd be fucked. Go Caps. Go Sens.

Spoken like a true Canuc...I mean Flyers fan.

Montresor

Dude, you root for the Leafs.

For the record, there has never been a player like Lucic playing for the Habs. It's simply not our style. We won all our cups with scoring talent and hard work.

And yeah, the "they're ugly" part was a joke. But once again, you're being a complete retard who's been rejected by his own team's fans.

Eh do you have me confused with someone else?

Curufinwe

That doesn't explain the trend though. If we were talking about any season in a vacuum sure, but I don't think the Flyers have broken higher than 24th in YEARS. (EDIT: I'm completely off on this. Checked the last ten. There are a few specific outliers. They do seem to be much lower on a regular basis though.) Also there were a number of teams with better differentials this year, but the Flyers had over 30 minutes more in penalties than the next most penalized team. Call out ESPN all you want, they're just the ones dumb enough to say anything. The same thing gets said in more veiled ways on every other network. Flyers were also the most penalized team in the league this year WITHOUT Pronger. You would expect things to improve with him out, but no.

Take out all the bogus penalties on Rinaldo and the Flyers would be around 20th in PIM this year.

Revenant

Marchand and Kesler are neck and neck in the diving tournament. Tempted to give the edge to Kesler just because of the amount of gifs that have been created at his expense. Marchand didn't give that kind of entertainment value.

Q3Q1x.gif

Cake Boss

Banned
SILFVERBERG SCORES AWWW YEAH.

Ties Alfie for the most goals in the SEL playoffs and becomes the youngest player to win the MVP since Forsberg. HYPE!!

Top Bottom