• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Ok, cuz it was obviously the suspensions. He was suspended multiple times and never changed, but sure it was the suspensions. Plenty of players have received long suspensions and were still dirty players.

Also, regardless of whether it works or not I don't want Duncan Keith getting 15-20 games for his first offense just because we're trying to teach players something they'll already know. It's all well and good when it's a crappy player, but I don't want the stars out for shit like this and they make these hits too.

This is so nuts to me. If a star player makes tries to injury another player he should be gone. No way should their be 2 systems in place. If Giroux decided to cross check Neal across the throat next year he should get hammered for it. I dont want any players taking shots at guys heads, stars or not, throw the fucking book at any one how does shit like this. Hockey is great when the best players get to play, not when idiots are taking runs at guys and causing shit like has been happening all through the playoffs.

This is so nuts to me. If a star player makes tries to injury another player he should be gone. No way should their be 2 systems in place. If Giroux decided to cross check Neal across the throat next year he should get hammered for it. I dont want any players taking shots at guys heads, stars or not, throw the fucking book at any one how does shit like this. Hockey is great when the best players get to play, not when idiots are taking runs at guys and causing shit like has been happening all through the playoffs.

No there shouldn't be two systems. When did I say there should be.....? I said I'm in favor of relatively lenient suspensions in general. Do try and keep up.

Phthisis

As I will be at the game tonight, please consider my response in the appropriate situation:

FUCK YEAH KINGS WIN KINGS WIN WOOOOOOOOOO SWEEP SWEEP SWEEP PANDEMONIUM IN LOS ANGELES

or

It's okay! We let one get away, let's get the win in Vancouver. Go Kings.

Cake Boss

Banned
doughty.png

Marvie_3

Banned
What percentage of injuries would you say come from dirty hits?
That wasn't my point. You were arguing that you don't want star players out because of long suspensions. My point was that they miss more time on the receiving end of dirty plays than they do from being suspended for the same type of plays.

And where are the examples I asked for?

That wasn't my point. You were arguing that you don't want star players out because of long suspensions. My point was that they miss more time on the receiving end of dirty plays than they do from being suspended for the same type of plays.

And where are the examples I asked for?

Trevor Gillies- 10 games
Goddard- 10 games
Carcillo's has had sizable suspensions
Like I said before I don't think Bertuzzi is significantly cleaner since his suspension.

Also, it depends on what you consider "long." I would say 5 is a pretty serious suspension that should be expected to change behavior if any number is going to.

And if players getting injured isn't largely caused by "dirty" hits then it's hardly the problem with star players missing games. No reason to dilute the product if it won't actually make players safer.

th3dude

How it feels to be a Pens fan this postseason...

Day of Game 1
tumblr_m2b7luKs2S1r37kdm.gif

Day of Game 2
"It's OK guys... We'll split them at home and head out to Philly! *see gif 1*

Day of Game 3
Wow. Swept at home. It's cool though. Away teams are crushing this year. We'll take both in Philly! *see gif 1 again*

Day of Game 4
tumblr_lt2nl6QoTC1qfq256.jpg

I guess we'll see how it goes tonight...

I'm actually quite mad

Fixed1979

Trevor Gillies- 10 games
Goddard- 10 games
Like I said before I don't think Bertuzzi is significantly cleaner since his suspension.

Also, it depends on what you consider "long." I would say 5 is a pretty serious suspension that should be expected to change behavior if any number is going to.

And if players getting injured isn't largely caused by "dirty" hits then it's hardly the problem with star players missing games. No reason to dilute the product if it won't actually make players safer.

10%+ of their season is what I would consider long and a #gamechanger. You keep talking about dilution but I think that's BS, assuming that longer suspensions work there's no way there could be dilution as stars won't be taking the hits as often as the "bad guys" will either be suspending or been forced to evolve their game, and if the stars are pulling the same shit then I could give a fuck about seeing them on the ice. 5+ is a pretty serious suspension right now, but that's the problem because it's clearly not enough of a deterrent. I'm not saying this will completely remove these occurrences from the game but I do believe they will cut down on how often we see it.

10%+ of their season is what I would consider long and a #gamechanger. You keep talking about dilution but I think that's BS, assuming that longer suspensions work there's no way there could be dilution as stars won't be taking the hits as often as the "bad guys" will either be suspending or been forced to evolve their game, and if the stars are pulling the same shit then I could give a fuck about seeing them on the ice.

As I said earlier. I call BS. Players are gonna get concussions regardless of whether there are dirty plays or not. Suspensions, even if they manage to discourage players, likely wouldn't change significantly how many games star players miss.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I was thinking more realistically though, no way Holland would trade Franzen compared to resigning Hudler. Also that is a big NO on Emmerton, he brings absolutely nothing to this team that a different player or rookie could do better at. He is a 4th line center but he can't even win a dang faceoff to save his life! I say bring up Andersson instead, a bigger body, had been doing pretty good this year in Grand Rapids, and also looked good when he was called up this year as well. Emmerton is easily expendable.

Also people argue about not getting Semin, but I really think we need another good Russian for Datsyuks sake, maybe to boost his morale a little bit. Also Datsyuk as said he would love to have another Russian on the team. Plus I think Semin could thrive in Detroit's system, so that could possibly work.

I still think they re-sign Hudler. Again, 2nd highest goals on the team and he played hard this year. I know they won't trade Franzen--just a wish of mine.

You know what my main problem is, though? Since the salary cap was implemented, Holland hasn't done a good job bringing in free agents. He is adored around the league because of his time as a GM. Unfortunately, that was when he had one of the very few owners that was willing to spend boatloads of cash to get people here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
http://tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=393531

The movement to build a 19,000-seat arena in north of Toronto will be taking a big step forward.

The City of Markham has announced that there will be a special council session next Thursday discuss an arena proposal from businessman Graeme Roustan.

The planned arena would be built on a tract of land just north of the Highway 407 in Markham.

City of Markham, Ontario to build NHL-caliber arena.

Alright Canada-GAF--is this a viable market? Would a team succeed here? Would the Maple Leafs even allow it?

I still think they re-sign Hudler. Again, 2nd highest goals on the team and he played hard this year. I know they won't trade Franzen--just a wish of mine.

You know what my main problem is, though? Since the salary cap was implemented, Holland hasn't done a good job bringing in free agents. He is adored around the league because of his time as a GM. Unfortunately, that was when he had one of the very few owners that was willing to spend boatloads of cash to get people here.

The only thing I know for certain is that something needs to change with this team.

Anyways, I was walking on campus today and saw two guys, both wearing black shirts, but the on the front of the one was the old yellow Kings logo, while the other had the new Kings logo on it. WTF is this with LA fans in Michigan?

Also I need Philly or LA to win tonight so that Detroit isn't the first team to be knocked out of the playoffs come Friday, so sorry Pens or Nucks fans, can one or both of your teams kindly lose tonight, that would be greatly appreciated.

Fixed1979

As I said earlier. I call BS. Players are gonna get concussions regardless of whether there are dirty plays or not. Suspensions, even if they manage to discourage players, likely wouldn't change significantly how many games star players miss.

You caught me before my edit, but yeah nothing is going to completely but an end to injuries and concussions. Shit happens after all, we can only hope to lower the chances of it happening and especially the chance of it happening purposefully. I don't understand your second point, don't illegal hits and injuries have a direct correlation? I would have to think so...

Regardless I don't have enough information to figure out which is the best solution and I'm not willing to research for 6 months and test it in the AHL to find out, it's obviously all just speculation and circle arguments.

Wild Speculation Time!

So anyone else thinking Lou will waive his no trade clause in the off season?

Even if he does who's going to want to touch that contract? I know there's teams out there who would happily take a #1 goaltender, but maybe not under those terms.

The only way I can see this happening either way, is if they tell Lou that we're signing Shneider no matter what the cost so be prepared to split the season or leave...that would be shocking though.

Entropia

No One Remembers

Alright Canada-GAF--is this a viable market? Would a team succeed here? Would the Maple Leafs even allow it?

That seems very strange..

Markham is a part of the GTA, it's on the NE side of it. I'm not a Torontonian so I don't know much about it beyond that. According to Google Maps it's just under 40k from the Air Canada Centre to Markham City Center.

Ra\/en

Wild Speculation Time!

So anyone else thinking Lou will waive his no trade clause in the off season?

Seriously, No.

If it means we get to keep Schneider, I'm all for this. Luongo is a good goaltender. He has done amazing things for use in Vancouver.

Who would take Luongo though?

Marvie_3

Banned
Trevor Gillies- 10 games
Goddard- 10 games

Gilles got that 10 game suspension in his first game back from a 9-game suspension. Nice example there. He's played in 3 NHL games this year so unless your point is that he can go 3 games without getting suspended, I don't get your argument here.

Godard hasn't even been in the NHL since last year.

Carcillo's longest suspension was 7 games and he hasn't even been back on the ice due to injury so you can't even begin to argue that he's changed.

Bertuzzi was suspended several times before the Moore hit but I can't remember his being suspended since.

5 is nowhere near long enough.

So when all the star players are out for months and months with concussions and the league is comprised of nothing but 3rd and 4th line plugs, how is this not diluting the league?

ShaneB

Markham is basically the GTA as Entropia mentions.. The people that flock to the ACC will have no problem flocking to Markham to see NHL games. edit: of course, the ACC has a big advantage of being right in the middle of a transit super hub, so I'm sure there are logistics issues, but the market is obviously here.

Ra\/en

Markham is basically the GTA as Entropia mentions.. The people that flock to the ACC will have no problem flocking to Markham to see NHL games. edit: of course, the ACC has a big advantage of being right in the middle of a transit super hub, so I'm sure there are logistics issues, but the market is obviously here.

Really though? would they?

I would imagine many of them are fans of the leafs. Would they be so quick to rapidly accept a brand new team?

Looks like 42km to Toronto? That's within Toronto's protected "pissy" zone (but outside Buffalo range, unlike Hamilton), so the only way a team goes there is if they pay the shut-up tax. (These days, what would that be, 20m? More?)

I know it seems strange, as Entropia mentioned, but not entirely impossible since Toronto is basically a NY style market in terms of the amount of hockey it can support.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened

Markham is Toronto for the most part lol

Except it doesn't have the advantage of the leafs: the ACC is attached to union station... Where GO/VIA/TTC/Amtrak are linked into... Too damn easy to get to... Markham however wouldn't have that advantage

While it will succeed... Doubt the success will come anywhere close to the leafs... Would probably be like buffalo or Ottawa if they were to ever get a team...

And no leafs won't allow it...

Edit: sweet Jesus $3 billion??!?

Marvie_3

Banned
This is bullshit and you know it. You think Backstrom would have missed 40+ games if he hadn't gotten hit in the head? Would David Perron have been out over a year even if Thornton hadn't hit him in the head?

Concussions will obviously happen, but to argue that these types of injuries would be just as frequent no matter what is fucking stupid.

This is bullshit and you know it. You think Backstrom would have missed 40+ games if he hadn't gotten hit in the head? Would David Perron have been out over a year even if Thornton hadn't hit him in the head?

Concussions will obviously happen, but to argue that these types of injuries would be just as frequent no matter what is fucking stupid.

Assuming you got dirty hits out completely, but you're not. So yes there are gonna be players who get hurt by dirty hits regardless.

Marvie_3

Banned
Looks like 42km to Toronto? That's within Toronto's protected "pissy" zone (but outside Buffalo range, unlike Hamilton), so the only way a team goes there is if they pay the shut-up tax. (These days, what would that be, 20m? More?)
Well over $20M. Anaheim was supposed to pay $25M to the Kings and that market doesn't bring in nearly the money that the Toronto market does. $100M+ easily.

Socreges

Banned
lol bruce

jimmy-fallon-popcorn.gif

It'll be interesting to see Daniel play tonight, won't be at his absolute best but it still makes this series more interesting.
He's still not confirmed (could be gamesmanship), but if he plays I'm hoping he can really help the PP. Apparently he wouldn't necessarily play much 5-on-5 which might make the lines a bit wonky.

Revenant

He's still not confirmed (could be gamesmanship), but if he plays I'm hoping he can really help the PP. Apparently he wouldn't necessarily play much 5-on-5 which might make the lines a bit wonky.

would be the right call. Even when Toews came back it was obvious the drive to play was there but he at times looked completely out of sorts. He did score a goal in that game but it was a goal smith should of stopped.

I don't really expect this series to magically turn around though, Kings are good at locking down their own zone and this means making quick look human 4 games in a row.

ShaneB

Really though? would they?

I would imagine many of them are fans of the leafs. Would they be so quick to rapidly accept a brand new team?

The Leafs don't sell out every single game because they're a good team. They sell out because this place loves hockey.

Well over $20M. Anaheim was supposed to pay $25M to the Kings and that market doesn't bring in nearly the money that the Toronto market does. $100M+ easily.

I think the trick is finding that sweet spot of what somebody would be willing to pay, though. I guess $50M is possible, but nobody short of Prokhorov is probably able to pay $100M+, not after the expansion fees. Balsillie might be able to pay if he cashed out on RIM awhile back but he sort of burned his bridges.

That being said, does anyone know what Ottawa paid? I thought I saw that number once but can't seem to find it

Fixed1979

would be the right call. Even when Toews came back it was obvious the drive to play was there but he at times looked completely out of sorts. He did score a goal in that game but it was a goal smith should of stopped.

I don't really expect this series to magically turn around though, Kings are good at locking down their own zone and this means making quick look human 4 games in a row.

At this point it's just as much saving face and getting back to Vancouver and seeing what happens from there. It's a long long road back into this thing, but we got taken to 7 by Chicago last year, crazy shit happens every once and awhile.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I think the trick is finding that sweet spot of what somebody would be willing to pay, though. I guess $50M is possible, but nobody short of Prokhorov is probably able to pay $100M+, not after the expansion fees. Balsillie might be able to pay if he cashed out on RIM awhile back but he sort of burned his bridges.

That being said, does anyone know what Ottawa paid? I thought I saw that number once but can't seem to find it

Bet it gets approved if Rogers/Bell get exclusive broadcast rights (not like there is any option anyways)

Cat Party

Luongo is the backup tonight? Oh my. I don't know why, but I like Luongo, and I feel he's been unfairly blamed for the team's troubles. I hope LA puts 7 in on Schneider tonight.

Marvie_3

Banned
Assuming you got dirty hits out completely, but you're not. So yes there are gonna be players who get hurt by dirty hits regardless.
So we should just stop punishing/trying to prevent dirty hits because there will always be dirty hits? Should we also stop trying to prevent terrorist attacks because there will always be terrorist attacks? Your logic makes no sense.

I hope it never happens but I'm eagerly anticipating your reaction if Giroux ever misses 50 games from an elbow to the head.

If a team is wanted bad enough, an owner/group will pay $100M+. $50M is way too low for putting a 2nd team in Toronto. $100M+ is the low end and it wouldn't surprise me if it was more. The amount of money the team would make/draw off of the Leafs is more than enough to justify that high of a payment.

Ottawa's expansion fee was $50M. They didn't have to pay anything for territorial rights though.

Socreges

Banned
Luongo is the backup tonight? Oh my. I don't know why, but I like Luongo, and I feel he's been unfairly blamed for the team's troubles. I hope LA puts 7 in on Schneider tonight.
No one's blamed him. We've got two great goalies. Schneider has been better this year and the team arguably plays better in front of him. After losing the first two games the Canucks decided to give the team a different look. Canucks played very well, so did Schneider, and they lost just 1-0. Are you going to go back to Luongo at this point? Hell no.

Top Bottom