• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Ra\/en

The Leafs don't sell out every single game because they're a good team. They sell out because this place loves hockey.

I'd love to see another Canadian team back east. If Florida can sustain 2 hockey teams, Ontario should have 3. If you think a place like Markham can handle it, I can see why. I just wonder why they wouldn't go for a different city like Missassauga or something. (Yes, I know they would have to build an arena)

So we should just stop punishing/trying to prevent dirty hits because there will always be dirty hits? Should we also stop trying to prevent terrorist attacks because there will always be terrorist attacks? Your logic makes no sense.

I hope it never happens but I'm eagerly anticipating your reaction if Giroux ever misses 50 games from an elbow to the head.

I like Couts way more. I think Neal's a scumbag. The suspension isn't that aggravating to me. What annoys me is poor refereeing. I wasn't calling for a suspension on the Voracek hit either if you remember. I actually think I'm pretty consistent on this.

If a team is wanted bad enough, an owner/group will pay $100M+. $50M is way too low for putting a 2nd team in Toronto. $100M+ is the low end and it wouldn't surprise me if it was more. The amount of money the team would make/draw off of the Leafs is more than enough to justify that high of a payment.

I think the key phrase there is "bad enough". That's why there isn't a long line of owners already - maybe they can make a profit long-term but most billionaires aren't lining up to make an up to $150m upfront investment ($100m Leafs + $50m expansion? Maybe more?) The only way it happens is if the guerilla is big enough (ie: Rogers) or if they get it as part of a mega-development deal (which this is, although how a billionaire organization swoops in to take most of the financial brunt is a bit unclear)

Between this and the Quebecor plan should be interesting to see what happens.

Ottawa's expansion fee was $50M. They didn't have to pay anything for territorial rights though.

I could have sworn they did. But you're right, it was probably something where Leafs ownership complained but backed down in the face of the expansion fees coming in.

I'd love to see another Canadian team back east. If Florida can sustain 2 hockey teams, Ontario should have 3. If you think a place like Markham can handle it, I can see why. I just wonder why they wouldn't go for a different city like Missassauga or something. (Yes, I know they would have to build an arena)

Infrastructure is probably the issue. Sounds crazy, but you could probably get away with two NHL teams the same way that the Staples Center gets away with the Lakers and Clippers. Going out to Mississauga is still inside the Leafs zone, I think, but could be a tougher draw without a massive development plan.

Acid08

Banned
No one's blamed him. We've got two great goalies. Schneider has been better this year and the team arguably plays better in front of him. After losing the first two games the Canucks decided to give the team a different look. Canucks played very well, so did Schneider, and they lost just 1-0. Are you going to go back to Luongo at this point? Hell no.
It's just weird, Luongo us one of your stars and he's payed like it. Do you still think Schneider will be traded over him? I'd imagine at this point that Luongo would have no problem waiving whatever no trade clause he has to go somewhere that will actually use him. He can't be too happy with the organization.

Raffi Torres suspended indefinitely?

elf_joy.gif

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
After losing the first two games the Canucks decided to give the team a different look. Canucks played very well, so did Schneider, and they lost just 1-0. Are you going to go back to Luongo at this point? Hell no.

Which is why I expect to see Gillis bend over backwards to accommodate a trade for Lou in the offseason. The reasoning behind tonight's choice is sound, but it also exposes the goalie situation in a way that won't be resolved until one of them is gone. Biggest game of the year and Schneider is in net? Lou has to know that he's gone, and his pride would demand it.

Fixed1979

We have no one to trade though.

If they actually look to move him I really wouldn't expect anything crazy in return as your options are limited when you're moving a goaltender and a 10 year contract.. Whoever would accept the contact would probably get a pretty good deal (trade wise).

Phthisis

Every single shot the Kings took in Game 3 resulted in a huge rebound by Schneider. As a Kings fan, I will gladly take Schneider in net.

Sibylus

Banned
Which is why I expect to see Gillis bend over backwards to accommodate a trade for Lou in the offseason. The reasoning behind tonight's choice is sound, but it also exposes the goalie situation in a way that won't be resolved until one of them is gone. Biggest game of the year and Schneider is in net? Lou has to know that he's gone, and his pride would demand it.
Things definitely seem to be coming to a head, and as hesitant as I am to side with one or the other (I really like both), I think Luongo has to get the short end of the stick here. The kid has a cooler head when it counts, and doesn't give up on rebounds nearly as often as Luongo does. Lu seems like he's beginning to slow down in a major way.

Marvie_3

Banned
I think the key phrase there is "bad enough". That's why there isn't a long line of owners already - maybe they can make a profit long-term but most billionaires aren't lining up to make an up to $150m upfront investment ($100m Leafs + $50m expansion? Maybe more?) The only way it happens is if the guerilla is big enough (ie: Rogers) or if they get it as part of a mega-development deal (which this is, although how a billionaire organization swoops in to take most of the financial brunt is a bit unclear)

Between this and the Quebecor plan should be interesting to see what happens.
I think the biggest reason why it hasn't been done yet is the Leafs' ability to stop a relocation/expansion in the area. If the Leafs couldn't stop a deal, there would be another team in the GTA already.

I could have sworn they did. But you're right, it was probably something where Leafs ownership complained but backed down in the face of the expansion fees coming in.
Ottawa and Toronto are too far apart for Toronto to make a claim that Ottawa was infringing. Teams are given a 50-mile radius as their "home area". Ottawa and Toronto are ~250 miles apart so they don't overlap at all.

Infrastructure is probably the issue. Sounds crazy, but you could probably get away with two NHL teams the same way that the Staples Center gets away with the Lakers and Clippers. Going out to Mississauga is still inside the Leafs zone, I think, but could be a tougher draw without a massive development plan.
NHL wouldn't allow this not to mention the owner of Toronto2 wouldn't want to pay rent to the Leafs and wouldn't want to give up their revenue from the luxury boxes/etc to the Leafs.

ZeroGravity

Put Luongo on a good team in a market without the ridiculous media and fan pressure and it wouldn't surprise me if he won a Cup before the Canucks would without him. He needs a fresh start.

Ra\/en

Things definitely seem to be coming to a head, and as hesitant as I am to side with one or the other (I really like both), I think Luongo has to get the short end of the stick here. The kid has a cooler head when it counts, and doesn't give up on rebounds nearly as often as Luongo does. Lu seems like he's beginning to slow down in a major way.

I think he's still a great goaltender. I just don't like his meltdowns. They don't happen often, but when they do... ugh.

Acid08

Banned
If they actually look to move him I really wouldn't expect anything crazy in return. Whoever would accept the contact would probably get a pretty good deal (trade wise).
Well DW never shys away from big contracts so I wouldn't be surprised. Upgrade over Niemi for sure.

Sibylus

Banned
I think he's still a great goaltender. I just don't like his meltdowns. They don't happen often, but when they do... ugh.
He's definitely still great when the focus is there, but I'm beginning to wonder if it can be relied upon. And even if we take that focus as a given, how long can we count on consistency? If it's all in his head, one would think he'd have well exorcised his demons by now.

Go from one market where he's criticized for everything he does to one that's even worse about that? Don't think so.

I dont know how the Toronto media is but I would think they would be so happy to have a big time goalie that could hopefully get them into the playoffs, that they would shower him with love.

I dont know how the Toronto media is but I would think they would be so happy to have a big time goalie that could hopefully get them into the playoffs, that they would shower him with love.

Toronto would be worse than Philly by a mile. If Luongo screwed up only 10% as bad as Bryz did this year they would be calling for his head.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

The media would be happy once the trade happens, as soon as he has one bad outing they will be out in full force.

This is nonsense.

What's going to dilute the game more, guys like Torres being out a month or guys like Crosby being out a month? People pay to see the Crosbys in the league. Nobody gives a fuck about garbage players like Torres. Keeping the top talent on the ice is better for the game. If much longer suspensions for the likes of Torres is what keeps them there then I'm all for it. If they don't respect the other players on the ice or the rules of the game then they don't deserve to be in the league.

This. Time to clean out the garbage. You don't play by the rules, then you don't fucking play.

Fixed1979

Toronto would be worse than Philly by a mile. If Luongo screwed up only 10% as bad as Bryz did this year they would be calling for his head.

Yeah I think it would only be worse in Vancouver and Montreal.

He'd be accepted with open arms there. The odd meltdown is more palatable than the 82 games of awfulness we've had to suffer through since the lock-out.
Perhaps to the fans but Toronto media is not so forgiving or forgetting.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Any reports on Hossa yet? I hadn't heard if he was injured or not.

Socreges

Banned
I think he'd be fine to stick around if Schneider were traded. Schneider's the young redheaded mistress that's less needy and with bigger titties. Bristles at her presence, but content to forget past infidelities if she's gone.

Dubbedinenglish said:
Maybe Tampa? But I'm sure the Canucks would ask Stamkos for him.
Yeah no.

ShaneB

Heh, Bob McCowan just sent an open invitation to Gary Bettman to come on his show and explain what the hell is going and why all of this chaos is still in the game.

I'm begging for a night of good clean playoff hockey to wash it all away for at least one night.

gcubed

I have this weird feeling that both series will go to 7 games.

meh... i think Pitt is more of a mess now, but i've been waiting for the Flyers to lose for 3 games now, so what do i know. I'll go out on a limb and say that the losing team in the Pitt/Phi series will only score 2 goals.

Flyers are not ones to be complacenct, even if the Penguis are down three guys on suspension plus have Fleury's moral being low, I don't think that the Flyers will take it easy thinking it to be an easy win.

Crosby doesn't have his muscle to cover for him and he may behave because his bros aren't there to save him.

Flyers need to take 1st period to burry the Pens' moral

Top Bottom