• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Guys... guys...
Good things happen.

ioycN.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
To get things semi-back on topic, James Neal only getting a 1 game suspension for his headhunting is fucking bullshit. The league's going to come down really hard on Torres because he sent Hossa out on a stretcher, but I'd argue that Neal's two shifts were worse than Torres' one.

Neal's a Penguin. He'd have to kill someone on the ice to get a 5-game suspension, and even then it might not happen.

gcubed

Neal's a Penguin. He'd have to kill someone on the ice to get a 5-game suspension, and even then it might not happen.

Its going to be pretty clear how messed up the rules are depending on Torres discipline. Neals two shifts were both worse then the single Torres hit, only difference being the players weren't taken off on a stretcher.

Yep. Suspensions should be much, much longer if you actually want to cut out the violence. Shanahan has a lot of influence to account for, though, and his job has basically been neutered.

Yesterday JR was on the local sports station in Philly and he said that several GMs complained to Gary about the suspensions handed out in the preseason and that is why Shanahan has been afraid to really crack down on this stuff. If that is true those GMs are so fucking stupid. You might be helping your tem in the short term by getting your guy to not be punished but later there is a chance you lose a player to injury since no one is afraid of being suspended.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Wow that last page.

Habs-GAF, Leafs-Age take note. We need to be a lot saltier than Canucks-GAF and Hawks-GAF come next season. Frankly we were lacking this past season.

Also screw you Sef! I'm not going to see a single Wings playoff game at this point! :(

Alucard

Banned
This is the front page of a major Philadelphia newspaper:

562844820.jpeg

Fuck. I could've been doing Photoshops for Philly papers this whole time.

Also, p.70-66. LOL.

LET'S GO PENS.

ShaneB

Another morning of sports talk radio marred by the Torres hit, god dammit.

Pray to god tonight is just good hockey, and not a circus. A shame the Sens/Rangers and Pens/Flyers game are on tonight at the same time :( Will stream the Sens game I guess, but I wish I didn't have to split my attention. Sens need to win tonight. Much like Quick in LA, Henrik is dominating, being down 3-1 is a scary thought.

Also, Canucks, at least make a series out of it. Cue the comeback!

Entropia

No One Remembers
Another morning of sports talk radio marred by the Torres hit, god dammit.

Pray to god tonight is just good hockey, and not a circus. A shame the Sens/Rangers and Pens/Flyers game are on tonight at the same time :( Will stream the Sens game I guess, but I wish I didn't have to split my attention. Sens need to win tonight. Much like Quick in LA, Henrik is dominating, being down 3-1 is a scary thought.

Also, Canucks, at least make a series out of it. Cue the comeback!

Nah, Canucks are done tonight.

I think I may have a stream for both the NYR/OTT and PHI/PITT games open at the same time. Though I think the PHI/PITT game is going to be a lot more of a circus.

Fixed1979

Alright it's moving day in the playoffs. It's going to be a long 13 hours, I really hope they can pull just one win out tonight and get back home for Saturday.

Also I'm sorry I bailed and missed all the excitement on the last page, the rivalry is still alive, albeit mostly through the tears of bitter fans.

You'd probably be upset if Giroux and/or Couturier were concussed by Neal's hits. Your team's up 3-0 in the series against your biggest rival and is relatively the same health-wise as they were when the playoffs began. Don't know why any Flyers fan would be upset.

This makes no sense. If one of them was concussed I wouldn't be anymore upset. The hits were still dirty. I'd much rather the refs be competent. Like I've said: I don't think suspensions change anything. No one here seems to have any reason other than some gut feeling that suspensions change players' actions. I disagree.

Fixed1979

Alright it's moving day in the playoffs. It's going to be a long 13 hours, I really hope they can pull just one win out tonight and get back home for Saturday Sunday.

Also I'm sorry I bailed and missed all the excitement on the last page, the rivalry is still alive, albeit mostly through the tears of bitter fans.

I also see Quenville picking up ~10k in fines for the post game (although it may be the best 10k he's spent this year).

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Also really annoyed that Pens-Flyers and Sens-Rangers are at the same time. My focus will be on the Rangers game but I'm sure I'll be flipping over to the other game constantly.

Hope the level of play in NYR/OTT continues from game 3. The Rangers still need to improve on the power play and not let Ottawa control so much of the tempo the way they have all series. Get some pressure off of Henrik.

Should be fun.

Also looking forward to Canucks-Kings tonight. Very entertaining series out west and not just because of the results.

Also, p.70-66. LOL.

LET'S GO PENS.

I'm embarrassed for my city. When one of the Daily News folks posted that on twitter last night, he was pretty much attacked by most Flyers fans complaining about the Daily News actually running something so incredibly dumb. Even as a Flyers fan, I laughed at the Chrissy Pronger photoshop Chicago did a few years back because it was at least somewhat clever - this, not so much.

Just so you know, sports starts on the back cover of the Daily News and goes backwards by page, so p.70-66 is actually correctly numbered.

ShaneB

Nah, Canucks are done tonight.

I think I may have a stream for both the NYR/OTT and PHI/PITT games open at the same time. Though I think the PHI/PITT game is going to be a lot more of a circus.

I have faith that the Canucks can at least win a couple games :( Teams coming back from 3-0 has certainly started to be a bit more common in recent years, it's the old cliche, just take it one game at a time, starting tonight.

Spezza needs to really elevate his game tonight and be the leader he can be for the Sens to win, big test.

I really really hope the Pens and Flyers just stick to playing hockey :(

I'm embarrassed for my city. When one of the Daily News folks posted that on twitter last night, he was pretty much attacked by most Flyers fans complaining about the Daily News actually running something so incredibly dumb. Even as a Flyers fan, I laughed at the Chrissy Pronger photoshop Chicago did a few years back because it was at least somewhat clever - this, not so much.

Just so you know, sports starts on the back cover of the Daily News and goes backwards by page, so p.70-66 is actually correctly numbered.

Gonna stick around in the NHL thread for a while Random? Playoff time we need all hands on deck!

Gonna stick around in the NHL thread for a while Random? Playoff time we need all hands on deck!

It's going to have to be sporadically at best for now - I'm finishing out 3L year in style with 4 finals over the next two weeks. My first one is actually tomorrow and I've somehow managed to convince myself that watching the game but going over my outline during the intermissions tonight will totally be enough to get a good grade. Hopefully your finals schedule is a bit more conducive to watching playoff hockey.

gcubed

This makes no sense. If one of them was concussed I wouldn't be anymore upset. The hits were still dirty. I'd much rather the refs be competent. Like I've said: I don't think suspensions change anything. No one here seems to have any reason other than some gut feeling that suspensions change players' actions. I disagree.

1 game suspensions don't change actions. You have a combination of poor on-ice reffing as well as paltry suspensions.

also, the worst possible decision is a results based suspension. Same hit but one guy played the rest of the game, the other guy taken out on a stretcher. 1 game vs x games... all that does is reinforce embellishment of injuries.

The max $2500 fine also makes it toothless. The NFL is doing a better job at removing the vicious hits because of high fines, reffing on the side of caution and longer suspensions.

Curufinwe

We have more than that a "gut feeling", we have the fact that Matt Cooke completely changed his game after being banned for 17 games last season.

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/iphone/news/latest/story.html?id=6470555

More long suspensions like that would deter players from dirty hits, the league is just too gutless to hand them out except in rare cases.

We have more than that a "gut feeling", we have the fact that Matt Cooke completely changed his game after being banned for 17 games last season.

http://www2.canada.com/calgaryherald/iphone/news/latest/story.html?id=6470555

It took years though.... and TONS of suspensions.... and a huge public outcry specifically aimed at him. You're never realistically gonna get that for the vast majority of players. I'd actually say he's a pretty good example for my position since suspensions didn't work for so freaking long and it seems it was more that management told him he needed to change.

Yeah long suspensions are the only hope of cleaning this garbage up. If guys had to worry about someone filling in for them and taking their job they would think twice before trying to take out the other teams best players.

So, WingsGAF ... on a scale of 1 to 10. how much do we have to blow this team up this off-season? And how bad was Ken Holland sitting on his hands at the trade deadline this year in retrospect?

Also, Shanahan's been so erratic with the penalties this year in the off-season, but that's the NHL Wheel of Justice for you.

Management only told him to change after he was missing for a first round playoff series which they lost.

Which is fine. I still don't think he's a great example. It took way too much. If we had to give the Matt Cooke treatment to every player who was going to get suspended it would genuinely hurt the game. We want the best players on the ice. Giving ridiculously long suspensions to NHL players is just gonna dilute the quality of players on the ice. Dirty hits are ALWAYS going to be in the game. They're the product of emotion, not some sinister intent to hurt the other team. You're never going to eliminate that. I get the rational behind the "longer suspensions" argument. I think I've made that pretty clear in the past. I dispute the accuracy of it.

fallout

I feel like The Avengers is the only thing keeping me from breaking down and sobbing like a bitch in a corner.

I've already been burned by Mass Effect 3 and the Canucks.

SAVE ME THOR, GOD OF THUNDER.

I guess the only caveat I have with this epic collapse is that whoever makes it to the finals will probably lose out half their team to headshots, and the other half to suspensions.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3WJX1cIuY4

Fixed1979

Which is fine. I still don't think he's a great example. It took way too much. If we had to give the Matt Cooke treatment to every player who was going to get suspended it would genuinely hurt the game. We want the best players on the ice. Giving ridiculously long suspensions to NHL players is just gonna dilute the quality of players on the ice. Dirty hits are ALWAYS going to be in the game. They're the product of emotion, not some sinister intent to hurt the other team. You're never going to eliminate that. I get the rational behind the "longer suspensions" argument. I think I've made that pretty clear in the past. I dispute the accuracy of it.

I don't buy the diluting the game argument, here's a list of suspended players this regular season (duplicate names for multiple suspensions). There's really only a handful that are considered among the elite and even fewer are players that put asses in the arenas, and if they're missing for 20 games it's not going to make the situation any worse than if Daniel Sedin is missing for a month or if Crosby is missing for a year, or if Alfredson retires after receiving a concussion. In the end you'll get a better product, and I personally think it's at least worth a shot...

Nate Prosser
Kyle Quincey
Duncan Keith
Shane Doan
Jeff Skinner
Tyler Myers
Mike Green
Warren Peters
Zac Rinaldo
Alex Ovechkin
Andrew Ference
Dane Byers
Jean-Francois Jacques
Brad Marchand
Krys Barch
Dan Carcillo
Rene Bourque
Raffi Torres
Ian Cole
Deryk Engelland
Rene Bourque
Milan Lucic
Andy Sutton
Ville Leino
Kevin Porter
Mark Fistric
Jordin Tootoo
Max Pacioretty
Andre Deveaux
Chris Stewart
Patrick Kaleta
Andy Sutton
Dan Carcillo
Kris Letang
Pierre-Marc Bouchard

..... sadly I woke up this morning, couldn't just put me out of my misery while I was sleeping huh?

Being down 3-1 to the Preds this year to me, is worse than being down 3-0 to the Sharks last year

So, WingsGAF ... on a scale of 1 to 10. how much do we have to blow this team up this off-season? And how bad was Ken Holland sitting on his hands at the trade deadline this year in retrospect?

Sadly, I think this is quite possibly our last year we make the playoffs in a row if we don't make any real changes. What I think needs to happen:

Holmstrom retires
Cleary is traded/or more realistically, relegated to 3rd line grinder duty
Hudler does not resign
Emmerton is traded
Stuart leaves
Kindl is traded

Try to go after a high ranking D man if available/or a 2 to 4 d-man
Look for a pure goal scorer top 6 man if available/ or at least a 3-6 forward
Bring up Nyquist, Tatar, Smith, possibly Andersson as a 4th line center
Lidstrom resigns for a low price for one last run

What will happen:

Lidstrom retires
Holmstrom is resigned for 1 more year
Hulder is resigned for 4 to 5 million.
Stuart leaves
Call up rookies but don't have them play at all during the season

Team acquires a veteran bottom six guy who sucks and doesn't do anything for the team
Holland says that we had another 100 point season and that it was the injuries that hurt us this year, thus we are starting off fresh and he has a good feeling with the direction of the club...

Wings fans cry, and they all jump off a bridge at the same time, thus there is no more fan base left.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Ya, because Neal's is the only suspension that was less than expected. Gotta love that tin foil hat!

Hook, line, and sinker :)

Come on, you know it was a joke. Everybody's suspension has been too minimal.

That said, somebody on TSN brought this up:

If Neal had 2 hearings (one for each blatant headhunt) and only got one game suspension, doesn't that mean one of the two headhunts was considered legal?

Fixed1979

Hook, line, and sinker :)

Come on, you know it was a joke. Everybody's suspension has been too minimal.

That said, somebody on TSN brought this up:

If Neal had 2 hearings (one for each blatant headhunt) and only got one game suspension, doesn't that mean one of the two headhunts was considered legal?

1/2 game for each one.

Plinko

..... sadly I woke up this morning, couldn't just put me out of my misery while I was sleeping huh?

Being down 3-1 to the Preds this year to me, is worse than being down 3-0 to the Sharks last year

Sadly, I think this is quite possibly our last year we make the playoffs in a row if we don't make any real changes. What I think needs to happen:

Holmstrom retires
Hudler does not resign
Emmerton is traded
Stuart leaves
Kindl is traded

What will happen:

Lidstrom retires
Stuart leaves

Team acquires a veteran bottom six guy who sucks and doesn't do anything for the team
Holland says that we had another 100 point season and that it was the injuries that hurt us this year, thus we are starting off fresh and he has a good feeling with the direction of the club...

Wings fans cry, and they all jump off a bridge at the same time, thus there is no more fan base left.

Still not getting the "get rid of Hudler" calls. He was 2nd in goals and has scored one of the only goals we've had this entire playoff series. He plays well and was very consistent this year in his energy--this was his best season in ages.

I'm with you on Holmstrom retiring and bringing back Lidstrom for another year.

That said, I'd try and put Franzen on the first train out of town. He's lazy, only skates when he wants to, and scores like 4 in a game and then disappears for weeks at a time. Most of recent goals have been garbage goals. I'd get rid of him and his albatross contract. Try and package him in a deal for Semin (if he's not a FA). Both guys could use a change of scenery.

I'd also give Emmerton another year. I think it's too quick to give up on him. He hasn't been great, but I'd give him one more shot.

Oh, and Nyquist better be 2nd-line next year. Screw Babcock's "paying your dues" garbage.

Still not getting the "get rid of Hudler" calls. He was 2nd in goals and has scored one of the only goals we've had this entire playoff series. He plays well and was very consistent this year in his energy--this was his best season in ages.

I'm with you on Holmstrom retiring and bringing back Lidstrom for another year.

That said, I'd try and put Franzen on the first train out of town. He's lazy, only skates when he wants to, and scores like 4 in a game and then disappears for weeks at a time. Most of recent goals have been garbage goals. I'd get rid of him and his albatross contract. Try and package him in a deal for Semin (if he's not a FA). Both guys could use a change of scenery.

I'd also give Emmerton another year. I think it's too quick to give up on him. He hasn't been great, but I'd give him one more shot.

Oh, and Nyquist better be 2nd-line next year. Screw Babcock's "paying your dues" garbage.

I was thinking more realistically though, no way Holland would trade Franzen compared to resigning Hudler. Also that is a big NO on Emmerton, he brings absolutely nothing to this team that a different player or rookie could do better at. He is a 4th line center but he can't even win a dang faceoff to save his life! I say bring up Andersson instead, a bigger body, had been doing pretty good this year in Grand Rapids, and also looked good when he was called up this year as well. Emmerton is easily expendable.

Also people argue about not getting Semin, but I really think we need another good Russian for Datsyuks sake, maybe to boost his morale a little bit. Also Datsyuk as said he would love to have another Russian on the team. Plus I think Semin could thrive in Detroit's system, so that could possibly work.

gcubed

Shannahan proudly made his ruling public, sat down to watch some hockey and saw Torres hit and immediately said "shit, this is going to look bad"

Holmstrom retires
Hudler does not resign
Emmerton is traded
Stuart leaves
Kindl is traded

What will happen:

Lidstrom retires
Stuart leaves

I tend to agree that the Wings are not the team that the NHL and popular media love to sell as the pinnacle of excellence in the league anymore. It's been widely recognized that you guys have been on the downswing. You'll now have to deal with the transition from elite to "whatever the hell your GM manages" like everyone else. Doesn't mean you can't be good. Look at the Hawks. I think they're a few years away from being a legit cup contender again, but overall there's something there to work with. Wings are actually going to have to develop young talent again. They haven't really had a big name prospect in like 5 or so years that I remember. The NHL basically requires that you have three or so really good 22-25 year olds on your team nowadays. Wings are gonna have to figure that out.

Tabris's sweet apartment?

Yup, also high enough to jump out as well, you guys have fun now!

I tend to agree that the Wings are not the team that the NHL and popular media love to sell as the pinnacle of excellence in the league anymore. It's been widely recognized that you guys have been on the downswing. You'll now have to deal with the transition from elite to "whatever the hell your GM manages" like everyone else. Doesn't mean you can't be good. Look at the Hawks. I think they're a few years away from being a legit cup contender again, but overall there's something there to work with. Wings are actually going to have to develop young talent again. They haven't really had a big name prospect in like 5 or so years that I remember. The NHL basically requires that you have three or so really good 22-25 year olds on your team nowadays. Wings are gonna have to figure that out.

We actually do have some very good prospects, only problem is that they aren't ready yet or like Nyquist and Smith, will most likely be full time next year. But yes, we do have a lot of problems that need fixed now and not later, I just hope Holland has something up his sleeve or we are going to be screwed come next season.

We actually do have some very good prospects, only problem is that they aren't ready yet or like Nyquist and Smith, will most likely be full time next year. But yes, we do have a lot of problems that need fixed now and not later, I just hope Holland has something up his sleeve or we are going to be screwed come next season.

I doubt "screwed," but I do think you guys are on the downward end of the current cycle created by the cap. I think you have a few years as a borderline playoff team before you'll have anything to truly worry about. Plenty of time to improve.

I do look forward to seeing the analysts look at the Wings and freak out trying to figure out how the Red Wings aren't competing for the division title every single year because they foolishly assumed that was possible in the current climate.

Top Bottom