• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

lol @ the TSN frontpage pic of Henrik...

ppqTy.jpg

Looks like he just opened a Zelda treasure chest . You got the Master Stick!

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
And Nucks are going to lose. Getting outshot by way too much.
jBxDC.gif

And that's probably game, horrible hockey day today.
jBxDC.gif
jBxDC.gif

Jay Feaster.
jBxDC.gif
jBxDC.gif
jBxDC.gif

I had to duck out partway through the second period to go see The Raid with my brother...walking down the street to the Scotiabank theater just in time to hear everyone at the pub across the street screaming at the 3-1 goal. Great game, great movie...this is the team I know. Pulling off 4 straight wins probably isn't in the cards, but at least the playoff performance was up to expectations for one game.

Feels good, man. Feels good.

CCF23

I honest to god legitimately believe the Canucks are capable of pulling off the comeback. I don't think it will happen, but I wouldn't be shocked if it did. It's a combination of things...getting Daniel Sedin back, Schneider looking like the best goaltender in the series, 2 of the next 3 (if it goes that far) on home ice, and the fact that aside from Richards and Carter and Penner (but Penner doesn't really count) the Kings don't have a whole lot of positive playoff experience on their roster. If the Canucks were in this hole against the Red Wings or Blackhawks or a team who had a lot of playoff experience I'd say there was zero chance, but if they can win game 5 LA might start freaking out a little bit faced with the possibility of needing to win on home ice in game 6 to avoid facing their own elimination game.

TLDR: I don't think the Canucks will win the series, but I wouldn't be dumbfounded if they did.

Socreges

Banned
I got a noise complaint at 915pm during the playoffs. My landlord actually called me to whine. What the fuck, Victoria?

Whatever.

ibsEDaJxaJPQ8b.gif

This was a tap at best...

http://cjzero.com/gifs/SedinCheapShot.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]I like how the gif is named "SedinCheapShot", not "BrownDive"

[img]http://i.minus.com/ibzaJXqsz0XAuy.gif

RC

Banned
I got a noise complaint at 915pm during the playoffs. My landlord actually called me to whine. What the fuck, Victoria?

Whatever.

ibsEDaJxaJPQ8b.gif

I like how the gif is named "SedinCheapShot", not "BrownDive"

ibzaJXqsz0XAuy.gif

Henrik barely touched him. I'm dissapointed at all my drunken friends for telling me otherwise.

Socreges

Banned
Henrik got a decent jab in with the elbow. You can see it better from the other angle. But the fact that Brown's head fell back to embellish the 'slap', instead of to the left to react to the elbow, shows that it couldn't have been all that bad.

Fucking Craig Simpson saying "that should be looked at" (ie, considered for suspension). It's amazing hearing one guy who obviously likes the Canucks (Hughson) versus another guy who obviously dislikes them (Simpson) and yet they don't seem to ever want to contradict each other.

Socreges

Banned
I think the Pens have a better chance of coming back than the Canucks. It kind of looked like they broke the Flyers and took all the momentum. Meanwhile the Nucks/Kings series is very tight and luck has a big hand in what happens. Winning 4 straight... I can't see it. Not with Quick playing as he is.

Alucard

Banned
I think the Pens have a better chance of coming back than the Canucks. It kind of looked like they broke the Flyers and took all the momentum. Meanwhile the Nucks/Kings series is very tight and luck has a big hand in what happens. Winning 4 straight... I can't see it. Not with Quick playing as he is.

Schneider's playing great, your two stars are back, and your PP looks reinvigorated. I think the Canucks have a shot.

The Pens may have played one freak game, and could be back to being a mess in the next one; especially with Paul Martin probably coming back, and Despres going back out.

We can't actually lose this series can we? Fuck. Goddamnit why does everything with this team have to include at least one gigantic meltdown? I hate the Flyers. And you people wonder why I'm such a negative person. The reason is because life is shit and then you die. Nothing ever goes right. Things only go well enough for the failure to hurt even more. I hate you Flyers. Even if you win this round you're going to get destroyed in the next.

Flyers can definitely beat the Panthers if they get them next round. I also think the flyers played well against the Sens this year. I think that series would go 7 but the Flyers could win it. The only teams in the east that they cant beat are the Rangers or Bruins. They would have a chance against either of the other 2 teams that have a chance to advance.

Flyers was full of LOLs last night but they are going back to the cursed Console Center on Friday so....

Flyers need to fish for better D for next season because the Defense situation is a joke.

Flyers was full of LOLs last night but they are going back to the cursed Console Center on Friday so....

Flyers need to fish for better D for next season because the Defense situation is a joke.

There are supposed to be a lot of FA defensemen this year so hopefully they can grab a couple of guys. It is weird that the D and Bryz looked so good around the trade deadline but both things have fallen apart in the playoffs. Oh well Flyers own the Pens in the new place so hopefully they will close it out next game.

Flyers should put Leighton as backup Friday so they can put him in if there are more goalie mishaps early again. They'll need something to revitalize them at that point. (just gotta hope he doesn't let in 5 goals...)

Leighton will be the backup on Friday I would think. It was clear yesterday that bob wasnt ready to play, and he got rattled way to easy. I wonder if Bob will ever be able to get it together at this point. His career playoff numbers are horrible.

pestul

As for the Rangers-Sens series, the Sens continue to prove to be incredibly determined and resilient. They have yet to play with a lead in the series, yet they've managed to win two games. Gotta respect that. And after a really shaky first game, Anderson has been going pretty much blow for blow with Lundqvist for the last 3 games. Rangers missed a huge opportunity here to break the Senators, especially with Alfredsson still out. Most importantly, they've really yet to play a complete game from start to finish. Tonight again they came out with fire, fixed a bunch of things that had been problematic earlier in the series, and yet the effort kind of tailed off from there on out. Even in the Rangers' one "big" win in this series, in Game 1, they didn't finish the game out strongly, giving up 2 late goals. All the pieces are there to win, they just need to finish.

I feel like if they're going to win the series, Game 5 is going to need to be a statement game for the Rangers. The longer the Senators are given hope, the more dangerous they become. This whole series thus far has proved that.

On the flip, the Rangers were really lucky to pull out game 3 tbh. Sens outshot them 39-23 and lost 1-0. It could easily be 3-1 Sens the way they/Rangers have played the past 3.

Look forward to another awesome playoff night tonight.

Sober thoughts for last night:

Man, I was pretty spot on last night.... Not a single player played. Bryz and Bob were the worst offenders. What's funny about this was back in November or December I had the exact same conversation with my best friend and dad and said to them "Bryz is fine but the problem is at least once ever seven or eight games he just completely loses a game singlehandedly. We can't do that in the playoffs." Now it's the playoffs... and... yeah....

Flyers should put Leighton as backup Friday so they can put him in if there are more goalie mishaps early again. They'll need something to revitalize them at that point. (just gotta hope he doesn't let in 5 goals...)

Leighton will be the backup on Friday I would think. It was clear yesterday that bob wasnt ready to play, and he got rattled way to easy. I wonder if Bob will ever be able to get it together at this point. His career playoff numbers are horrible.

2x06-Afternoon-Delight-Animated-gif-Michael-What-No-no-no-no-arrested-development-7915781-300-167.gif

Take off the rose colored glasses and think back to the Buffalo series. No Motherfucking Leighton.

Fixed1979

#reversesweep

You think missing Daniel is a major factor in being down 3-0? Realistically? Any REAL cup contender should be able to lose a major star and still win a series against an 8 seed convincingly.

And I'm sure you were just trolling at this point but...he's an obvious cog to the team.

ShaneB

It's a day to love hockey again. Besides the football game that broke out in Pittsburgh, the Sens win was terrific, and there's life in the Canucks again, but god damn, not playing until Sunday? Terrible.

Hoping the Caps can rally and get the victory tonight and tie that series up.

#reversesweep

And I'm sure you were just trolling at this point but...he's an obvious cog to the team.

You realize I never said otherwise right? My point was that the series wouldn't be different. Of course they were gonna be a better team with him in the lineup. My point was that they still would have been down 3-0 based on how the games against the Kings played out. I admitted it was unprovable, but saying they would have won any of those games just because they won the one where he came back isn't exactly convincing. I think a lot of people expected a Nucks win last night regardless.

Puddles

Banned
Canucks: 3 G
Kings: 1 G

Aim of hockey = to put pucks in net.

Another revelation: losing team shoots a lot more than winning team.

What I'm saying is that the Canucks didn't win because their offense with Daniel back was unstoppable.

They won because Schneider stopped everything that came his way.

Fixed1979

You realize I never said otherwise right? My point was that the series wouldn't be different. Of course they were gonna be a better team with him in the lineup. My point was that they still would have been down 3-0 based on how the games against the Kings played out. I admitted it was unprovable, but saying they would have won any of those games just because they won the one where he came back isn't exactly convincing. I think a lot of people expected a Nucks win last night regardless.

It's obviously all just opinion but there's absolutely no doubt in my mind we would have been in a much better position to win 1 or 2 of the first 3 with both Sedins in the lineup.

What I'm saying is that the Canucks didn't win because their offense with Daniel back was unstoppable.

They won because Schneider stopped everything that came his way.

Schneider let in 1 goal last game, we lost.
Schneider let in 1 goal this game, we won.

The difference was offence and confidence...who you'd like to attribute that to is up to you.

Not to take anything away from Schneider, he obviously played like a fucking beast last night.

t0mp

no he won't.

at least I hope he won't be.

He's our fourth goalie, bacuishaihahuahsauha is our 3rd goalie I do believe.

edit: and no shit bob wasn't ready to play, we rode bryz ridiculously hard for the last half of the season. Bob got like 2 starts in the past 3 months. not sure what you expected..

Puddles

Banned
I see Puddles is just as retarded about sports than he is about movies.

I guess being retarded is applied to everything

I'm the best sports analyst and the best movie critic on this board. STFU, Jackass.

Schneider let in 1 goal last game, we lost.
Schneider let in 1 goal this game, we won.

On around twice the number of saves. Not taking anything away from that sweet, sweet PP goal to put the Canucks up 3-1, but it's not like they put up a 6-spot. They won this game on defense. Nothing wrong with that. The Kings won Game 3 on defense as well!

Fixed1979

I'm the best sports analyst and the best movie critic on this board. STFU, Jackass.

On around twice the number of saves. Not taking anything away from that sweet, sweet PP goal to put the Canucks up 3-1, but it's not like they put up a 6-spot. They won this game on defense. Nothing wrong with that. The Kings won Game 3 on defense as well!

We don't need to put up 6 or 10 goals to know that the offence clicked last night, this isn't the pond hockey the state of Pennsylvania is playing. Puck movement got progressively better and more creative as the game went on last night, quality scoring chances were higher this game than in previous games, the offense as a whole was greatly improved up and down the lineup. The only Canuck I can really call out is Raymond who had "a few" bad shifts.

no he won't.

edit: and no shit bob wasn't ready to play, we rode bryz ridiculously hard for the last half of the season. Bob got like 2 starts in the past 3 months. not sure what you expected..

t0mp throwing down the knowledge. I like it.

Jon

Anyone else feel like last night was such an epic beatdown by the Penguins that they are going to win three more in a row and take the series?

Because that's how I feel.

I mean, you can argue that the Flyers had all the momentum coming into game four, and that the Penguins had few things they could look to build upon, and yet they kicked the doors down in game 5. Conversely, I do not see the Flyers being able to recover from such a drubbing. The defense was already suspect in the previous three games, but it was masked by the excitement and the wins. With Grossmann likely out now, the defense loses a key shot-blocker. I guess my question becomes, what can the Flyers even work on to ensure something like that doesn't happen in game 5?

no he won't.

Why did they call him yesterday if he is the 4th goalie then?

Cagey

Banned
Its hard to score against 6 goalies.

Lots of blocked shots also means the other team had the puck a lot more.

Yeah I am very surprised at how we pretty much carry the play and always have the most pressure in their zone, its suppose be the #1 seed, I expected better offense.

Rangers have done that all season, despite the protestations about their aggressive forecheck from friends of mine and how 'they're totally interesting to watch' and 'not at all like the late 90s Devils', which popped up often this season among talking heads and has become the most abhorrent insult possible for Rangers fans (it seems). The Rangers want an early lead (no matter the size) so they can park the bus, soccer-style, in front of Lundqvist, and occasionally counterattack. But as you guys saw... it winds up looking like one team blitzing Lundqvist and the Rangers forming a protective wall around him down in front.

Well, there is one difference: the late 90s Devils deployment of the NZ trap at least challenged an opposing offense halfway up the ice. This is just absurd to watch.

gcubed

so what happened last night, i drank myself into a stupor and am missing all time from 7-11

Any word on Grossman? Besides a concussion. If he is out for a few games the flyers are screwed. An uncalled elbow to the head hurts i guess

Game day again. Sweet tasty Jesus if we can steal another from the Jersey shore it would me monumental. Hopefully Clemmer starts this game. Nothing against Theo but Clemmer has this sort if spite and ire for his former team that drives him.

Cagey

Banned
Also, here's to the Devils staying out of the penalty box tonight or their record-setting PK showing up.

We've dominated 5-on-5 play in this series, but we're getting straight up murdered by Florida's PP every time. They're converting at a 60% rate right now (6/10), which is clearly an unsustainable fluke but in a seven game series, you don't need it to last long to build an insurmountable 3-1 series lead.

t0mp

Why did they call him yesterday if he is the 4th goalie then?

the other dude is called up, too. Are you not aware of the "Black Aces"? Since the phantoms are out of the playoffs we called up their top players in which were:
Tyler Brown
Matt Ford
Erik Gustafsson
Ben Holmstrom
Oliver Lauridsen
Michael Leighton
Brandon Manning
Tye McGinn
Harry Zolnierczyk

These guys practice and shoot against leighton to stay fresh in case of emergencies.

Cake Boss

Banned
Rangers have done that all season, despite the protestations about their aggressive forecheck from friends of mine and how 'they're totally interesting to watch' and 'not at all like the late 90s Devils', which popped up often this season among talking heads and has become the most abhorrent insult possible for Rangers fans (it seems). The Rangers want an early lead (no matter the size) so they can park the bus, soccer-style, in front of Lundqvist, and occasionally counterattack. But as you guys saw... it winds up looking like one team blitzing Lundqvist and the Rangers forming a protective wall around him down in front.

Well, there is one difference: the late 90s Devils deployment of the NZ trap at least challenged an opposing offense halfway up the ice. This is just absurd to watch.

Like I said this is a very overrated team even if they to the 2nd round, they will get bounced in 4 by Boston or Philly.

Cactus

Banned
The Vancouver Media is suggesting that the Leafs are one of only a couple of teams who might have interest in Roberto Luongo this summer.

If that's the case, I can't see more than salary dump(s) + B-prospect going the other way (much like the Campbell deal).

t0mp

Like I said this is a very overrated team even if they to the 2nd round, they will get bounced in 4 by Boston or Philly.

Rangers have our number and play us perfectly. it'd be the complete opposite. they know how to shut down our offense and they have JUST enough offensive talent to put in 2-3 against the worst D and goaltender in the league.

rangers sweep the flyers if that's the matchup

Fixed1979

The Vancouver Media is suggesting that the Leafs are one of only a couple of teams who might have interest in Roberto Luongo this summer.

If that's the case, I can't see more than salary dumps(s) + B-prospect going the other way (much like the Campbell deal).

Fuck it's incredible, before they announced Schneider was starting I was so confident that it would be Schneider leaving or else there'd be a miracle long shot and we'd keep them both for another year. Now because of one start everything has changed and unbelievably Luongo could be traded once again in his career. Time to mark July 1st on your calenders, should be an interesting summer.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

If that's the case, I can't see more than salary dump(s) + B-prospect going the other way (much like the Campbell deal).

I still don't see Luongo wanting to come to Toronto but never know.

But I definitely agree when it comes to what would be traded for him. Neither team is really in a position of strength to demand a lot.

*incoming someone saying Leafs have nothing of value to trade except Gardiner.

Top Bottom