• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Cactus

Banned
Leighton deserved virtually no credit for any of that. He was consistently one of the three worst Flyers players. Most people who followed the team closely weren't even very happy with him when he was winning. He's just not a good goaltender. Bob on a bad day is equal Leighton on an average day.

The statistics go against that, though. Bob's combined playoff numbers are absolutely terrible. Leighton's aren't amazing either, but .913 / 2.54 is way better than what Bob has put up in the playoffs.

th3dude

Words cannot explain how much I am enjoying this implosion by Flyers-GAF. This is exactly what I hope last night's game is doing to the Flyers. Doubting, second guessing, and bringing in a new goalie.

Revenant

Philly GAF today.

CITYFANGIF.gif

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
This is just like in the 09 Playoffs when Malkin got the fight instigator penalty against Zetterberg and should've received an automatic one game suspension (just like Adams did in game 3), but of course, nothing happened. The double standard is a joke in this league.

LOL--forgot about that one. Did the league ever make a statement about that?

Cagey

Banned
I don't mind a double standard in the NHL for stars v. scrubs insofar as length of suspension. You would want to punish dickbags like Arron Asham more than Evgeni Malkin because teams only employ Asham because he pulls borderline shit whenever he's on the ice, and occasionally goes off the rails. That's the sort of player you want to discourage.

But not suspending stars at all is nonsense.

th3dude

LOL--forgot about that one. Did the league ever make a statement about that?

Even the Wings didn't think that should have been a suspension:

"It's not that big of a deal," Detroit Red Wings goalie Chris Osgood said. "Malkin is playing real well. He's physical this year and will do anything for his team to win. At the end he was trying his hardest and everybody got in there and wrestled around. Nobody got hurt."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/hockey/cup/2009-06-01-penguins-red-wings-game-2-sidebar_N.htm

If you seriously think you lost that series because our player didn't get suspended, then you need to face the fact that the better team won.

The statistics go against that, though. Bob's combined playoff numbers are absolutely terrible. Leighton's aren't amazing either, but .913 / 2.54 is way better than what Bob has put up in the playoffs.

Yeah Leighton is miles better then Bob but that isnt saying much. If either plays the Flyers are dead. Bryz is the only hope of advancing.

Socreges

Banned
Let's say the Leafs are interested in Luongo. Why the hell would Luongo want to go there? Huge media pressure and the team's a great distance away from being Cup contenders. There's no way he agrees to go there. Sounds like something the media would drum up for interest.

I still find it difficult to believe that Luongo gets traded and Schneider sticks around.

What I'm saying is that the Canucks didn't win because their offense with Daniel back was unstoppable.

They won because Schneider stopped everything that came his way.
ibzOvjMQHXx80G.gif

They won this game by scoring more goals than the opposition. There were multiple reasons for this. Schneider having a great game was one of them (a lot of those shots were meaningless), and Daniel returning was another.

gcubed

to be fair the flyers writers are saying he got the concussion from a hit by kennedy. malkins hit could have effected him getting the concussion, but he kept playing so who knows.

yup, i came to post that everyone is saying it was the kennedy hit... another elbow to the head that wasn't called. No matter, no amount of power plays could have saved last night, it was just a disaster.

I won't implode unless they start lehighton. Then i'll just quit

If Rinaldo gets no discipline, then I don't want to hear it about Malkin, either.

throw him out for 2 years. I don't care. Its to your advantage that he remains playing since anytime he is on the ice he gets called for a penalty.

Cactus

Banned
Let's say the Leafs are interested in Luongo. Why the hell would Luongo want to go there? Huge media pressure and the team's a great distance away from being Cup contenders. There's no way he agrees to go there. Sounds like something the media would drum up for interest.

I think the Vancouver media is just being hopeful. Acquiring a 33 year old goalie with 10 years left on his contract doesn't exactly make sense for the Leafs either, even if we send you mostly garbage in return.

I still find it difficult to believe that Luongo gets traded and Schneider sticks around.
If Schneider keeps playing well, I would be very surprised if he isn't the #1 goalie on opening day next season. By playing him last night, Vigneault basically told the hockey world that he believes Schneider gives his team a better chance to win.

If Lou is still on the Canucks next season, it'll be because Gillis couldn't trade him, IMO.

th3dude

yup, i came to post that everyone is saying it was the kennedy hit... another elbow to the head that wasn't called. No matter, no amount of power plays could have saved last night, it was just a disaster.

I won't implode unless they start lehighton. Then i'll just quit

throw him out for 2 years. I don't care. Its to your advantage that he remains playing since anytime he is on the ice he gets called for a penalty.

I assume you mean because he deserves it, because he does.

Marvie_3

Banned
I don't mind a double standard in the NHL for stars v. scrubs insofar as length of suspension. You would want to punish dickbags like Arron Asham more than Evgeni Malkin because teams only employ Asham because he pulls borderline shit whenever he's on the ice, and occasionally goes off the rails. That's the sort of player you want to discourage.

But not suspending stars at all is nonsense.
Malkin has had numerous plays that should have resulted in suspensions but were never fully punished. By giving certain players differential treatment, you've broken the discipline system. You're giving unfair advantages to teams like Pittsburgh and New York over teams like Florida simply because of the numbers of stars on each team. No player or team should be above the law or receive different treatment when it comes to suspendable actions.

th3dude

97% of the time, yes. There are 3% of them that he gets called for because he is Zac Rinaldo. Either way, its no skin off of any Flyers fan back if he is not in the game.

Glad we agree there. And yea, some players just get those penalties because of who they are, unfortunately.

Malkin has had numerous plays that should have resulted in suspensions but were never fully punished. By giving certain players differential treatment, you've broken the discipline system. You're giving unfair advantages to teams like Pittsburgh and New York over teams like Florida simply because of the numbers of stars on each team. No player or team should be above the law or receive different treatment when it comes to suspendable actions.

Preach it. Not suspending players because they are stars is the dumbest shit the league could do.

Fixed1979

I think the Vancouver media is just being hopeful. Acquiring a 33 year old goalie with 10 years left on his contract doesn't exactly make sense for the Leafs either, even if we send you mostly garbage in return.

So what your saying is the Burke is definitely going to make it happen.

EDIT: I love the two conversations happening here in terms of goaltenders, opposite ends of the spectrum.

Cactus

Banned
So what your saying is the Burke is definitely going to make it happen.

Since he seems to shy away from contracts over 5 years, I highly doubt it. My guess is that Burke goes after guys like Vokoun/Khabibulin/Harding or maybe Kiprusoff/Backstrom if the price is right.

Nabokov would have been perfect for 1-2 years, but he already re-signed with the Islanders.

Fixed1979

Since he seems to shy away from contracts over 5 years, I highly doubt it. My guess is that Burke goes after guys like Vokoun/Khabibulin/Harding or maybe Kiprusoff/Backstrom if the price is right.

Nabokov would have been perfect for 1-2 years, but he already re-signed with the Islanders.

I was only half joking but your right, although I thought I remembered a post season presser where Burke said he believes he has a number one in JR.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If you seriously think you lost that series because our player didn't get suspended, then you need to face the fact that the better team won.

Please point out the part of my post where I implied that was actually the case. I'll wait...forever, because that's not anywhere close to what I said.

The Wings lost that series because A) The Penguins outplayed them in Game 7 and B) Babcock inexplicably benched Abdelkader, their lone scoring spark in games 1 and 2, and kept him out for most of the series.

So I hope the Flyers coaching staff has the players watch some western conference games tonight so they can see some good examples defense and goaltending.

Also Canucks will lose in game 7.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
I was only half joking but your right, although I thought I remembered a post season presser where Burke said he believes he has a number one in JR.

Honestly I'm not ready to throw Reimer under the bus as yet. He definitely needs a vet to play with him. After he got hit by by Gionta he hasn't been the same at all.

I'm not saying he's going to be one of the top goalies in the league but he definitely can be decent.

He has the demeanor to survive in Toronto. He only seems to get upset if the media try to blame his teammates for any goals he lets in.

Cagey

Banned

But I said I want the star players suspended. I should amend "star" players to not just be Face of the Franchise/NHL types, but more generally guys who are legitimate hockey players. I think there's a difference between a Carl Hagelin elbowing Daniel Alfredsson in the face than if, say, it was Mike Rupp. I'd have given Rupp more games because I would be far more skeptical of the intent behind his act, than I would a guy like Hagelin. Rupp's job is to play chippy, "enforce", do dick-all with the puck, etc.

I think Malkin not receiving the one game auto-ban is foolish. If Malkin committed the same act as Asham, though, I'd suspend Malkin for a lower number of games, or worded another way, I'd suspend the skill-less goon more games than a star.

The goal in implementing this policy isn't to treat stars with kid gloves. Instead, it's to severely punish dipshit goons whose only value to a hockey team is to stir shit up for their whopping 7 minutes of ice time each night. There's little to no legitimate hockey contribution from the guys I want to receive additional punish.

That's true, but I think the fans and media in Vancouver would crucify him if he traded Schneider and stuck with Luongo. I could be wrong.

As long as the return is good, I think most fans here would be ok with moving Schneider. Thing is, after Kassian, they're going to need to see players come in that will immediately improve the team; Lars Eller won't work with this bunch.

Burke's animosity toward CBA-bending contracts means Luongo won't ever trade the toilet-seat for the leaf. Which sucks, because the last two decent goalies we had were just as melt-down prone as he (apparently) is.

Preach it. Not suspending players because they are stars is the dumbest shit the league could do.

It's true if the NHL is serious about curbing headshot and blindside hits they need to have a zero tolerance rule in effect and a set fine and suspension time. The refs need some off season schooling for consistency next year.

th3dude

There is an overall inconsistency with the suspensions, on that we can all agree.

But don't say that 'stars' don't ever get suspended. Don't forget James Neal, a 40 goal scorer, had to sit out of a possible elimination game against the Flyers.

The Malkin hit was definitely questionable, but using it as your point for stars not getting suspended is laughable while Zac Rinaldo gets nothing for cross checking someone in the face.

Cactus

Banned
Honestly I'm not ready to throw Reimer under the bus as yet. He definitely needs a vet to play with him. After he got hit by by Gionta he hasn't been the same at all.

I'm not saying he's going to be one of the top goalies in the league but he definitely can be decent.

He has the demeanor to survive in Toronto. He only seems to get upset if the media try to blame his teammates for any goals he lets in.

What worries me is that he has obvious weaknesses. Poor glove hand and poor lateral movement are weaknesses that other teams will take advantage of every game.

With that being said, I have no problem keeping him around for a while, but we're in big trouble if he's the starter on opening day, IMO.

Actually, Scrivens won't be waiver exempt next season either. He was one of the top goalies in the AHL this season, so Burke has to make a decision on him too.

But don't say that 'stars' don't ever get suspended. Don't forget James Neal, a 40 goal scorer, had to sit out of a possible elimination game against the Flyers.

One game for two hits.... yeah, great example. Penguins are lucky their goons score 40+ apparently. Maybe we should just have Giroux start leaping at people.

/salt

Cagey

Banned
There is an overall inconsistency with the suspensions, on that we can all agree.

One game for two hits.... yeah, great example. Penguins are lucky their goons score 40+ apparently. Maybe we should just have Giroux start leaping at people.

Based on what I said prior, I think Neal deserved more games. If some 4th line scrub did it, I'd tack on a few more to the already stiffer penalty.

I want a harsh and harsher penalty regime, not Shanahan's wheel of justice bullshit where it can range from $2500 to execution.

Plinko

The Malkin hit was definitely questionable, but using it as your point for stars not getting suspended is laughable while Zac Rinaldo gets nothing for cross checking someone in the face.

What is this I don't even...

Yeah, people tune in all the time to see James Neal. He's so hot right now. So hot.

How many commercials is he in? How many times do you see his face on NHL advertisements? He's not a "star" at all.

Based on what I said prior, I think Neal deserved more games. If some 4th line scrub did it, I'd tack on a few more to the already stiffer penalty.

I want a harsh and harsher penalty regime, not Shanahan's wheel of justice bullshit where it can range from $2500 to execution.

Damn I hate agreeing with you. I want the NHL to find some star to make an example of. Maybe the goons would think twice if the league really cracked down on a skill guy. They have to do something to change things. Player have no respect for each other this year and it is due to the inconsistent justice.

th3dude

What is this I don't even...

Yeah, people tune in all the time to see James Neal. He's so hot right now. So hot.

How many commercials is he in? How many times do you see his face on NHL advertisements? He's not a "star" at all.

I put 'star' in quotes because he is in fact a 'star' on this team. He is our #1 winger and plays on the top line while putting up 40 this year. Quite important to the success of the Penguins and the league had no problem taking him away from them.

I wasn't talking about how much a non-hockey fan would recognize him, I don't care about that.

Complete BS. Star or scrub if you take a headshot, blindside, or some other dangerous unsportmanlike play you should get the same flat rate. Fine and suspension. The only variation I could see is in the playoffs where imo it should be a suspension for the series.

Plinko

I put 'star' in quotes because he is in fact a 'star' on this team. He is our #1 winger and plays on the top line while putting up 40 this year. Quite important to the success of the Penguins and the league had no problem taking him away from them.

I wasn't talking about how much a non-hockey fan would recognize him, I don't care about that.

I think that's the problem. I would venture a guess that when people hear the word "star player" they're talking Crosby/Malkin/Ovechkin/Sedin, etc.

Not James Neal, a good player but hardly a "star" around the league.

th3dude

Complete BS. Star or scrub if you take a headshot, blindside, or some other dangerous unsportmanlike play you should get the same flat rate. Fine and suspension. The only variation I could see is in the playoffs where imo it should be a suspension for the series.

Agree. I can't believe some in here are promoting a system where the better a player you are, the less your punishment should be.

Damn I hate agreeing with you. I want the NHL to find some star to make an example of. Maybe the goons would think twice if the league really cracked down on a skill guy. They have to do something to change things. Player have no respect for each other this year and it is due to the inconsistent justice.

Problem is it's not just goons vs skill players. It's definitely inconsistent, but how can you be consistent if refs/league officials have to make a subjective call on the players skill level. Andy Mcdonald had his ass boarded more than a few time versus SJ this series with no suspension or fine and he's just back from a severe concussion from earlier in the year. I'd hate to think the league would base their decision on fines and suspension based on whether the player who did it was a star or goon.

If Sidney Crosby put a Torres/Hossa hit on Briere next game I'd expect the same punishment as Torres.

Acid08

Banned
Problem is it's not just goons vs skill players. It's definitely inconsistent, but how can you be consistent if refs/league officials have to make a subjective call on the players skill level. Andy Mcdonald had his ass boarded more than a few time versus SJ this series with no suspension or fine and he's just back from a severe concussion from earlier in the year. I'd hate to think the league would base their decision on fines and suspension based on whether the player who did it was a star or goon.

If Sidney Crosby put a Torres/Hossa hit on Briere next game I'd expect the same punishment as Torres.

Ha, he was boarded once. Every time a player who has had a concussion gets hit doesn't make it boarding/charging/or going for the head.

th3dude

I would call for the same.

Marvie_3

Banned
There is one thing regarding discipline that I wish the NHL would do as well. Say Patrick Kane goes nuts and decides to treat an opposing player like a cab driver and boards him. If Kane is suspended for 5 games, Chicago should have to play those 5 games with one less roster spot. It punishes the team as well as the player. MLB does it and I would love to see the NHL implement it too.

Cagey

Banned

How do you clean up the game? You punish the "untouchables" for their goon acts, which isn't happening right now. You also need to make it clear that players entire purpose for being on an NHL roster is to be a goon will get punished such that having them is worthless.

It takes a more severe punishment to get the message across to the goons than it does to the stars, precisely because right now stars get away scot fucking free, and while goons get hit with some penalties, it's inconsistent (dependent on injury... such BS) and often not long enough anyway. Everything needs to be ramped up.

Agree. I can't believe some in here are promoting a system where the better a player you are, the less your punishment should be.

I already explained that's the opposite way of interpreting this.

There is one thing regarding discipline that I wish the NHL would do as well. Say Patrick Kane goes nuts and decides to treat an opposing player like a cab driver and boards him. If Kane is suspended for 5 games, Chicago should have to play those 5 games with one less roster spot. It punishes the team as well as the player. MLB does it and I would love to see the NHL implement it too.

That's a great way of incentivizing teams to keep worthless players off their roster.

Revenant

this story doesn't make sense as this would mean Patrick Kane would actually be committing to some sort of concentrated effort.

I agree though. It's the suspension that keeps on giving.

Top Bottom