• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Fei

Dude... :lol

rellix

So you would have preferred that he was suspended for less games?

I would have been satisfied with something around 15. My issue isn't with Torres, it's how suspensions are given based on injury instead of intent. A player like Neal should have been in the 5-10 range, but because Giroux wasn't knocked retarded, he gets off the hook. Again, pathetic.

I have no problem with the hit getting 25 games, but you know if anyone else delivered the exact same hit it wouldn't get treated as harshly. If Torres gets 25 games for that hit, the exact same hit should get 20-25 games no matter who does it (depending on repeat offender status, of course). The problem with suspensions this season has never been the number of games, it's all about consistency.

Alucard

Banned
Loving the double standard with Crosby and Giroux. Crosby says he hates Philly and pushes someone's glove away during a game, and he's a "baby." Giroux says he doesn't like Pens fans, breaks his stick and tosses it in frustration at the end of a game, and he's "passionate." LOL.

Alucard

Banned
I have no problem with the hit getting 25 games, but you know if anyone else delivered the exact same hit it wouldn't get treated as harshly. If Torres gets 25 games for that hit, the exact same hit should get 20-25 games no matter who does it (depending on repeat offender status, of course). The problem with suspensions this season has never been the number of games, it's all about consistency.

I think it is the number of games and being consistent with them. 1 game for Neal was a joke. No suspension for Rinaldo was a joke. Malkin not getting suspended up to this point is debatable. Torres hit someone high and sends him to the hospital? 25 games. The games are all over the place. If Giroux had been knocked out by Neal's shot, would Neal have received 25 games too? Really stupid that the difference between 1 game and 25 is whether or not the target player was injured.

Hey, Red Bull crashed ice on NBC

Haha, nice. It was pretty fun when I saw it last time.

I think it is the number of games and being consistent with them. 1 game for Neal was a joke. No suspension for Rinaldo was a joke. Malkin not getting suspended up to this point is debatable. Torres hit someone high and sends him to the hospital? 25 games. The games are all over the place. If Giroux had been knocked out by Neal's shot, would Neal have received 25 games too? Really stupid that the difference between 1 game and 25 is whether or not the target player was injured.

Well, I think a lot was history... Neal doesn't have that bad of history compared to Torres so you have to subtract a lot for that also.

Razorskin

----- ------
Loving the double standard with Crosby and Giroux. Crosby says he hates Philly and pushes someone's glove away during a game, and he's a "baby." Giroux says he doesn't like Pens fans, breaks his stick and tosses it in frustration at the end of a game, and he's "passionate." LOL.
People like Giroux

People don't like Crosby

There's a double standard because nobody fucking likes Crosby, and people generally shit on people they don't like.

G breaking his stick isn't the same as swatting a glove away. I have no problem with Crosby not liking us. Giroux doesn't act like a whiney brat on the ice.

Fuck that game last night. That's all I've got... Such a long night.

Breaking your stick over the goal post and then throwing it isn't acting like a whiney brat? What?

Alucard

Banned
People making categorical statements like "nobody likes Crosby" obviously don't know what the word "nobody" means. It's a misrepresentation of the situation.

Parch

+10 for repeat offender
+10 for injury dramatics
or
Shanahan responding to criticism because he's taking all the heat while Bettman sits in the stands being a fan.

WOW at the 25 games for Torres! Shanaban has had enough it seems. For comparison:

Chris Simon (30 games): Intentionally stepped on another player's leg. Repeat offender.
Raffi Torres (25 games): Late, high hit resulting in injury. Repeat offender.
Marty McSorley (23 games): Brained Donald Brashear. Was ALL OVER THE NEWS.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just woke up and... wat, 25 games? Holy shit, Torres really DID get the book thrown at him.

I wonder too what it would've been if he
a) Didn't hit a superstar
b) That star wasn't injured.

I'm fairly sure that this bumped his penalty up like 20 games, if it was just a normal hit and the other unknown guy would've gotten up right away, this might've only gotten like 1 or 2 games. These suspensions are a joke. If he REALLY wanted to change something, his NEXT suspension (and we all know there will be more) will tell us what's happening. I fully expect his next suspension to be 10+ games, otherwise we're back to 'wtf' and the 25 games for Torres is even more of a joke.

WOW at the 25 games for Torres! Shanaban has had enough it seems. For comparison:

Chris Simon (30 games): Intentionally stepped on another player's leg. Repeat offender.
Raffi Torres (25 games): Late, high hit resulting in injury. Repeat offender.
Marty McSorley (23 games): Brained Donald Brashear. Was ALL OVER THE NEWS.

What did Simon get for using Ryan Hollweg as a tee ball set?

What did Simon get for using Ryan Hollweg as a tee ball set?

Rest of the season ban, which ended up being 25+ games as well.

I think we all have an idea of what absolutely losing control means, if only for a split second (think throwing NES controllers from childhood). Late-career Simon had a wild ability to lose control until his lust for revenge was sated.

If I was absolutely forced to, I'd rather be on the ice against McSorley (uncharacteristic stupidity) or Torres (plain reckless). Simon was vicious.

Smiley90

Guess he laid out 2 refs and a linesman. I honestly didn't think 25 games, but at least a message has been sent.

We'll see what his next suspension will be. I'm just waiting for a "superstar" to do something stupid next game and Shanahan give him a 2500 fine and we're right back where we were before, with Torres having had bad luck for being unimportant enough.

wat is this I don't even

25 games. It makes me uncomfortable because I think that's pretty fucking stiff and it's Torres. So I'll just think of it this way, it's 25 games to make up for all of the missed bullshit they didn't suspend him for. I'd be more comfortable with it if this were a new precedent wherein all suspensions become much harsher but that won't happen.

railGUN

Banned
We'll see what his next suspension will be. I'm just waiting for a "superstar" to do something stupid next game and Shanahan give him a 2500 fine and we're right back where we were before, with Torres having had bad luck for being unimportant enough.

I think previous offensives is the biggest factor, so if a superstar headhunts, but has no prior history, he won't get much. I'd hope a superstar with priors would get the same treatment as Torres, but hopefully the prospect of a serious ban will preemptively discourage some of that.

I really don't think Torres was headhunting though, but when you play on the edge it's easy to cross it.

Smiley90

I think previous offensives is the biggest factor, so if a superstar headhunts, but has no prior history, he won't get much. I'd hope a superstar with priors would get the same treatment as Torres, but hopefully the prospect of a serious ban will preemptively discourage some of that.

I really don't think Torres was headhunting though, but when you play on the edge it's easy to cross it.

Neil has previous history with at least 1 suspension off the top of my head that I know of, and he threw TWO dangerous hits to the head in 1 game, and got a 1 game suspension. no injuries on the play. Yes, previous history WAS a factor, but I'm saying that it was probably

hit - 2 games
hit against superstar - +5
hit from nobody - + 5
injury - +5
history - + 8

So yeah, either this is just another ridiculous suspension from Shanahan with absolutely no consistency OR it finally marks an era of harsher suspensions. The next suspensions will tell, but I'm not convinced.

3N16MA

Banned
No one likes Crosby? I'm sure all of Canada was cheering for him when he scored the winning goal in the Olympics. I'm sure most fans would love if he was on their team. Fans of other teams don't hate Crosby they're jealous that the Pens have him.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
I have a bad feeling about this game.

Montresor

It would be hilarious to see a suspended Torres being handed the Cup first by Doan.

I agree almost completely with zombie_james. I don't like that Shanahan has a clear bias in favour of superstar players and that he factors the outcome of a hit (injury) heavily when deciding on the length of a suspension. With that said, Torres deserves a long suspension because his hit was illegal and he has a long history of such cheap shots, but 25 games is way too harsh. He's being made into a scapegoat. It doesn't even matter if this suspension is the right call IMO - Shanahan has been way too inconsistent with his previous rulings, and his body of work right up to the Torres ruling should lose him his job regardless of whatever he does now moving forward.

Rest of the season ban, which ended up being 25+ games as well.

I think we all have an idea of what absolutely losing control means, if only for a split second (think throwing NES controllers from childhood). Late-career Simon had a wild ability to lose control until his lust for revenge was sated.

If I was absolutely forced to, I'd rather be on the ice against McSorley (uncharacteristic stupidity) or Torres (plain reckless). Simon was vicious.

I wouldn't fuck with Simon or Brashear. Simon for all the reasons you just listed, and Brashear for his habit of cold-cocking guys out of nowhere. I remember being pissed that the Rangers signed him after he cheapshotted Betts and sucker punched Ward.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
No one likes Crosby? I'm sure all of Canada was cheering for him when he scored the winning goal in the Olympics. I'm sure most fans would love if he was on their team. Fans of other teams don't hate Crosby they're jealous that the Pens have him.

Cheering for him during the Olympics is different than hating him for how he acts.

Did anyone mention the fines Torres is getting also?

Should the suspension carry over to next season, because he is classified as a repeat offender under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, Torres will forfeit $21,341.46 in salary for every regular-season game in which he is ineligible to play.

I love the idea that how much he is fined is going to depend on how well the Yotes do this post season.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
If you had told me a couple of months ago that Brian Rolston would be on the Bruins' top line in the playoffs... uhh... I don't know

Parch

What seems to be the biggest factor to Shanny is the repeat offender history. The Matt Cooke, better get your shit together, type of statement. That's what Torres got.
Complaints about consistency when comparing similar hits is not what's important. A player with the rep for cheap shots has a much bigger suspension target following him around. Wreckless pests beware. Shanahan is watching and adding up the incidents. I'm alright with that.

Top Bottom