• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

HOLY FUCK at Torres suspension. WTF so inconsistent

You can't compare Torres to any other headhunter in the NHL. He's in a league of his known. It's well deserved for his shenanigans.

Oh come on, you can say with a straight face you thought it would be 25 games because that's consistent with what the NHL has done this year? Bullshit.

Seguin

Banned
HOLY FUCK at Torres suspension. WTF so inconsistent

Oh come on, you can say with a straight face you thought it would be 25 games because that's consistent with what the NHL has done this year? Bullshit.

Torres is one of the dirtiest players in the league with a long rap sheet, and had already been suspended multiple times in the past year. Then he throws an illegal hit that ends up getting a player taken off the ice on a stretcher. Did I expect 25 games? Not necessarily, but it's well deserved. The league can not afford the kind of publicity that comes with crap like Torres. Giving players suspensions like this can change them, look at how Cooke has changed because he knew he would have the book thrown at him if he pulled his normal garbage.

He didn't even get a penalty.

That's irrelevant since the refs in the NHL are not that great and are calling a lot less penalties.

GTFO bitching about consistency. So you'd rather him be suspended 4 games to continue the shitshow that is Shanahan's system of suspending people this post season? As Pat Foley said, Torres has put other players' careers in jeopardy with his retarded hits, and Shanny should do the same with his rulings.

Torres is one of the dirtiest players in the league with a long rap sheet, and had already been suspended multiple times in the past year. Then he throws an illegal hit that ends up getting a player taken off the ice on a stretcher. Did I expect 25 games? Not necessarily, but it's well deserved. The league can not afford the kind of publicity that comes with crap like Torres. Giving players suspensions like this can change them, look at how Cooke has changed because he knew he would have the book thrown at him if he pulled his normal garbage.

That's irrelevant since the refs in the NHL are not that great and are calling a lot less penalties.

I don't think anyone is claiming poor Torres, he's a piece of shit, they're just commenting on the joke of a penalty system they have for giving out and determining length of suspensions.

GTFO bitching about consistency. So you'd rather him be suspended 4 games to continue the shitshow that is Shanahan's system of suspending people this post season? As Pat Foley said, Torres has put other players' careers in jeopardy with his retarded hits, and Shanny should do the same with his rulings.

Yes, we all wanted him suspended for only 4 games. Poor poor Torres, that's for clarifying for us.

I don't think anyone is claiming poor Torres, he's a piece of shit, they're just commenting on the joke of a penalty system they have for giving out and determining length of suspensions.

Yes, we call wanted him suspended for only 4 games. Poor poor Torres, that's for clarifying for us.

Well what number of games would have been cool for all of you going "WTF OMG consistency"?

No shit it hasn't been consistent all post season. But for this suspension, Torres could have been suspended for ANY number of games and everyone would have been bitching about the consistency. So what's the fucking point?

Seguin

Banned

Yes, we call wanted him suspended for only 4 games. Poor poor Torres, that's for clarifying for us.

I doubt Shanahan wants a 25 game suspension like this to become normal - it's about sending a message to a habitual offender and the rest of the league. I hope Torres getting this suspension makes players like Marchand and Neal reconsider some of the crap cheapshots they throw out.

Well what number of games would have been cool for all of you going "WTF OMG consistency"?

No shit it hasn't been consistent all post season. But for this suspension, Torres could have been suspended for ANY number of games and everyone would have been bitching about the consistency. So what's the fucking point?

I'm not against this ruling, I like this ruling. I just wish the others where evaluated like this one was. It was more a surprise at the length being as long as it is than anything else.

I doubt Shanahan wants a 25 game suspension like this to become normal - it's about sending a message to a habitual offender and the rest of the league. I hope Torres getting this suspension makes players like Marchand and Neal reconsider some of the crap cheapshots they throw out.

I agree, I like the ruling.

So did Hossa definitely have a broken jaw or they never got an official statement about his injury? I see it as a rumor but can't find a statement of his injury.

I wonder if Hossa's injury is that severe or they were just focusing on his past stupidity.

Hopefully the latter. For multiple reasons

I'm not against this ruling, I like this ruling. I just wish the others where evaluated like this one was. It was more a surprise at the length being as long as it is than anything else.

Well, sorry for my outburst then. It's just fucking annoying to read everyone bitch about the lack of consistency when, given the circumstances of this hit (extremely malicious by a shithead repeat offender), there was nothing to compare how many games he would have been suspended for. If there hasn't been ANY consistency then how is this one going to be consistent at all? THERE'S NO STANDARD HERE PEOPLE!!!

Malvolio

I'm not sure if that's too much or too little, but I'm just glad he won't be taking out another player this postseason. I won't blame the position the Hawks are in on one player or one hit, but I do know that watching Hossa is one of my favorite things about Hawks games and Torres took that from me. The sad part is that Torres was having a bigger impact on the series than Hossa without being dirty but he just couldn't settle for that. I really hope this has an impact on him. I think he has shown that he can bring more to the table than just intimidation and questionable hits.

I'm not sure if that's too much or too little, but I'm just glad he won't be taking out another player this postseason. I won't blame the position the Hawks are in on one player or one hit, but I do know that watching Hossa is one of my favorite things about Hawks games and Torres took that from me. The sad part is that Torres was having a bigger impact on the series than Hossa without being dirty but he just couldn't settle for that. I really hope this has an impact on him. I think he has shown that he can bring more to the table than just intimidation and questionable hits.

Sadly it seems a lot of the players who do things like this can bring more to the table in a hockey sense but they choose to do stupid shit like this instead. I don't understand why.

An example is matt cooke with having almost 20 goals this year (19) which is a career high after he used to only barely get 10-13 goals a season. With all the shitty wingers the pens have had why wouldn't you try to contribute if you can be a 20 goal scorer rather than be a shithead who injures people and takes stupid penalties to hurt your team and produce half as much? Seems moronic.

Regardless of how many games he deserved, the message I'm hearing from 25 games is more like "no more exchange rate on playoff games", which is a first. Interesting.

Edit: Well, that or Shanahan wanted 50 games but discounted Torres 5-6 possible playoff games in the number.

Grab someone's head and ram it into the glass: $2500.
Cross-check someone's throat: 4 games.
Slightly late open-ice hit resulting in an injury: 25 games.

I fucking hate Torres, but this suspension is bullshit. If it was anyone else delivering the exact same hit with the exact same result, it wouldn't even be close. Would Ovechkin get 25 games? Torres should be suspended, without question, but he's a scapegoat. I can feel a much worse incident happening with three rounds of playoff hockey left, and Shanahan's lost a hell of a lot of credibility already.

fallout

Considering he's been suspended 5 times, fined a few times and has been reviewed for a number of questionable hits, I don't see how they could have not handed him out a lengthy suspension. 25 is high, but it's not unreasonable.

rellix

Considering he's been suspended 5 times, fined a few times and has been reviewed for a number of questionable hits, I don't see how they could have not handed him out a lengthy suspension. 25 is high, but it's not unreasonable.

If the player hit wasn't named Hossa? 15 games. If the player hit wasn't injured? 5 games, max.

It's pathetic.

~Kinggi~

Banned
This is awesome. 3pm on nbc game, then Rangers game, then tomorrow a noon game followed by another 3pm game. Playoff hockey all weekend its like craaaaack!!!

rellix

Well since the hit was on Hossa we really don't know what the ruling would be otherwise so your point is worthless

Yeah, because the league doesn't play favorites with big stars. You got me there bro.

eekfacepalm.gif

Revenant

Torres was the perfect scapegoat to lay the hammer down.

- not a superstar
- huge history of suspensions
- injured superstar on a stretcher.

Before Cooke changed this ways, every game he didn't play in was better for every team in the NHL. Same with Torres.

25 is a lot but he's proven time and time again to be a shithead and hopefully he starts using his brain. The only problem is with Cooke Lemieux told him he'd be on another team if he didn't stop. It seems like the Coyotes fully back Torres and have been outspoken about it.

Fei

If this was going to be the new standards for hits to the head (say 5-10 games for first offense, going up 5-10 games for each additional hit), I'd be alright with it. The problem is we all know it won't.

Top Bottom