• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

hmm.. ok. Makes sense I guess.

Ok. I overstated that. I went and took a quick look to refresh my memory. Basically the rule is players "assume the risk" of injury when they play the sport and things that occur that are basically "reasonably predictable" within the context of the sport aren't claims. The issue is more that courts are VERY deferential to what can be said to be "reasonably predictable." Even things like the Bertuzzi hit aren't that unlikely when you consider the million different scenarios that can occur in a game. Basically what the rule is allowing for is things like players pulling a Happy Gilmore and trying to stab someone during a game.

Ra\/en

Ok. I overstated that. I went and took a quick look to refresh my memory. Basically the rule is players "assume the risk" of injury when they play the sport and things that occur that are basically "reasonably predictable" within the context of the sport aren't claims. The issue is more that courts are VERY deferential to what can be said to be "reasonably predictable." Even things like the Bertuzzi hit aren't that unlikely when you consider the million different scenarios that can occur in a game. Basically what the rule is allowing for is things like players pulling a Happy Gilmore and trying to stab someone during a game.

thanks for clearing that up. The league has to get it right if a player does something boneheaded with malicious intent.

What an absolute joke.

I can't believe the league is dumb enough to not see how damaging this is to the general public's perception of the sport. I can 100% guarantee that PTI will be talking about this this afternoon, again (rightfully) criticizing the league and their absolute refusal to do anything about head injuries and cheap shots.

The NHL deserves the bad publicity.

Yeah, I'll say it--I wonder what the penalty would have been had this hit been on Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin?

He would have gotten a lifetime ban.

I would argue for a fine and a suspension. Head slam WWF plays have no place in the NHL.

As a fan I just don't really give a shit about fines. The guy is a member of the team and was breaking the rules in game, the team should be punished somehow. Fines have no effect on the score, making some1 with 22 goals on the year see stars for the rest of the night could definitely affect the score though.

As a fan I just don't really give a shit about fines. The guy is a member of the team and was breaking the rules in game, the team should be punished somehow. Fines have no effect on the score, making some1 with 22 goals on the year see stars for the rest of the night could definitely affect the score though.

Actions taken in a game should affect that game. Not future ones. That's what penalties are for.

Adam Proteau-
"James Wisniewski’s suspension cost him $536,585.36. He should’ve smashed Zetterberg in the head 214.634144 times instead!
"

:lol

Wow, you really believe this? So what are you against all suspensions?

I've said in here a bunch of times that I think suspensions aren't particularly useful enforcement tools. There's no evidence they discourage players from taking certain actions and they take the players everyone wants to see off the ice.

I get much more frustrated with poor officiating than I do with Brendan Shanahan.

pringles

No Weber suspension and Helm out for the playoffs.

Great start to the series.

Good thing Wings have a history of rising above adversity like this. Can't wait to see how they respond in Game 2.

You let the team down when you get suspended, I think they are the most useful enforcement tools.

That's cool. Any way of backing that up?

Suspensions never changed guys like Avery. Even Cooke. It wasn't the suspensions that were getting him. It was his coach telling him he needed to fix his shit cuz he had a reputation.

No Weber suspension and Helm out for the playoffs.

Great start to the series.

Good thing Wings have a history of rising above adversity like this. Can't wait to see how they respond in Game 2.

Yeah about that... You realize we haven't led a game since our crushing win in Columbus right?

That's cool. Any way of backing that up?

Suspensions never changed guys like Avery. Even Cooke. It wasn't the suspensions that were getting him. It was his coach telling him he needed to fix his shit cuz he had a reputation.

I don't really know what you mean by backing that up.

Not all guys of course, they're all different. I still think it's the most effective way. But with that same view of taking it case-by-case just look at my ochocinco/TO video, now imagine a player who injures people instead of excessively celebrating and doesn't give a fuck how much the league fines him.

Not all guys of course, they're all different. I still think it's the most effective way. But with that same view of taking it case-by-case just look at my ochocinco/TO video, now imagine a player who injures people instead of excessively celebrating and doesn't give a fuck how much the league fines him.

That's why I keep saying DO IT RIGHT. Make fines a percentage of salary. Players will respond to that. No question.

That's why I keep saying DO IT RIGHT. Make fines a percentage of salary. Players will respond to that. No question.

Ochocinco jokingly bribed a ref with a $1 bill during a game. It cost him $20k and he knew it was coming. Now we're not discussing something that trivial but the point is some people just don't give a fuck, therefor suspensions are needed for things as serious as the Zetterberg faceplant.

MutFox

Banned
$2500?

If someone assaults, and didn't want jail time,
$2500 seems fair for the average working person.

For an NHL player, $50,000 should be the minimum.

$2500 is a joke.

I really like Weber, but no NHLer should be able to get off that easy.

IdCVw.jpg

From hfboards.

Fei

Wait, there are now Panthers fans here all of a sudden?

They've actually been more active than a lot of other teams' fanbases. Nice to see, really.

And Weber not getting suspended for that hit is pretty laughable. I like Weber, but that play was as dirty as they come.

Fixed1979

You do realize that players don't get payed for the games their suspended games right, if they don't care about they money they loose for not playing then they won't care about a fine. Some players just won't give a shit because that's how they play, and if they didn't they probably wouldn't have a job. The solution is longer suspensions, Shannahan started the preseason out great and then just before it was over someone must have told him "Hey Brendan you can't suspend people for that long" and they dropped from 8-11 to 2 or 3.

bardia

Is the $2500 fine the maximum that is allowed because to the way the CBA is structured? It's a joke how you can get fined $10,000 for calling out the refs and yet only $2500 for smashing a guys head into the glass.

Weber not getting suspended is a fucking joke.

Joe Thorton has the green light to blindside Perron again. I imagine the STL vs. SJ will have twice the number of penalties as the Det/Nash game.

does anyone have a GIF of the Weber incident? I didn't see it.

It's probably on youtube. It was pretty brutal. The intial hit wasn't enough Weber had to make him taste the glass.

Fixed1979

they don't get paid for postseason games either

They don't get a salary but there are bonuses in play. But this is just another reason why fines over suspensions isn't always the best fit.

Is the $2500 fine the maximum that is allowed because to the way the CBA is structured? It's a joke how you can get fined $10,000 for calling out the refs and yet only $2500 for smashing a guys head into the glass.
Yes and yes. The coaches don't have anyone to protect them, the players have the NHLPA.

Cake Boss

Banned
So anyone know why Bob Mackenzie sounds like hes about to cry on Twitter, I know it has to do with the Weber thing but what happened?

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
So anyone know why Bob Mackenzie sounds like hes about to cry on Twitter, I know it has to do with the Weber thing but what happened?

he said last night he didn't think.Weber's hit was suspension worthy and everyone is losing their shit about it

Top Bottom