• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

ShaneB

So in retrospect what do people think of Rome's suspension last year? Wasn't being suspended for 4 playoff games ridiculously harsh, for what was essentially a late hit?

If the league wants to clean up the game, which they obviously do, than ridiculously harsh punishment is exactly what they should be doing. A 2,500 dollar fine is nothing more than a slap on the wrist to these guys.

Fine should be bigger. Much bigger. But I've always said I hate suspensions because they take the best players in the world off the ice. In the playoffs that's magnified by a million, so in that sense I'm ok with no suspension.

Fines should be done in percentage of salary. That way you're punishing all guys the same way.

$2,500 for Weber? That's an absolute joke. I'm sure that will stop him from choke slamming a mofo next time. You can basically do w/e you want in the playoffs it appears.

You can?

9swn8.jpg

Hmm... Bertuzzi likes this

I guess that means we'll have Ericsson start slamming their faces into the glass for payback since it's just a small fine. Hopefully it will be that kind of series. I mean, face slamming is the new face wash.

Here's a better idea...Why doesn't each team just line up a few guys on each side and go all out tag team MMA style to start each game? Penalties and fines only when a throat is slashed with a skate. I mean, it's just a hockey play.

SpacLock

matt-cooke.jpg

He also approves.

Actually he's a new man now so maybe he doesn't.

Bertuzzi was supposedly a new man too, but the only reason was because of the repercussions of his actions. Since it's now prison rules, we'll see the old Bertuzzi come back for some free lunch on Weber's face.

Fixed1979

Shanahan doesn't have anything to do with punishment for coaches, so it's really neither here nor there.

Also coaches aren't protected by a union. Another decision from the NHL delivererd by a clueless Shannahan which doesn't surprise me. I don't know what the league needs to do in order to figure out how to properly police the league but Shannahan obviously isn't the answer as he's obviously totally OK with grabbing the back of someones head and attempting to ram it into the glass...must be a hockey play.

Montresor said:
So in retrospect what do people think of Rome's suspension last year? Wasn't being suspended for 4 playoff games ridiculously harsh, for what was essentially a late hit?

Biased opinion here but I was absolutely shocked by it, and most people I talked to (who are primarily Oilers fans around here) were just as surprised. It was either a game at most, or more commonly nothing at all. But as always the league suspends based on injury and nothing more... I was more disappointed that after an 82 game season and 3 playoff rounds there's suddenly a new sheriff in town for the SCF, it's a joke.

Cat Party

Injuries have always mattered when considering suspensions, so I don't know why people act like it's so shocking that a play that didn't result in injury didn't result in a suspension. I think the play was worth one game anyway, but this isn't some travesty.

SpacLock

Very gentlemanly, Bertuzzi just wanted to get his attention and have a chat, but Moore just had to ignore him causing Bertuzzi to resort to more serious measures on getting his attention.

:lol, that's funny because it goes with what I just said about having to be dead in order for the other player to get a suspension a few posts ago.

That's how I ask a girl out.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Injuries have always mattered when considering suspensions, so I don't know why people act like it's so shocking that a play that didn't result in injury didn't result in a suspension. I think the play was worth one game anyway, but this isn't some travesty.

If injuries matter how come Rene Bourque got the same amount of games as Ovechkin did? Bäckström was out for 40 games. I don't think Michalek missed a single one. Meanwhile Michalek got away scot-free for delivering a head shot to Hendricks.

Fixed1979

I don't think very many people are shocked so much as tired of the way the NHL handles it's player discipline.

Next up is Bitz, I'm expecting 3 games as Clifford ended up leaving the game and is questionable for Friday...sigh.

Malvolio

That fine seems to be more based off the level of the damage done rather than the action and intent. If true, that's a terrible way to handout punishment. I like Webber, but there was a serious intent to injure on that play (twice!), and he should be sitting for at least one game.

Fine should be bigger. Much bigger. But I've always said I hate suspensions because they take the best players in the world off the ice. In the playoffs that's magnified by a million, so in that sense I'm ok with no suspension.

Fines should be done in percentage of salary. That way you're punishing all guys the same way.

If you slam some1's head into anything while you are holding the back of his neck/head, which he successfully did after the first failed attempt, you should be suspended. You're trying to take some1 out of the game with a play like that, there's no other explanation. You can't allow this with the argument you want to see the best players on the ice because they'll all be out with concussions anyways if you allow this shit.

To give the NHL some credit, I won't be missing a game of this series now.

Curufinwe

Suspending mainly on injury is dumb because concussion symptoms often don't reveal themselves for days or weeks.

If what Weber did only cost him and the team $2500 then every thug/goon should start doing it to the other team's star players at the end of games. What's the downside?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
What an absolute joke.

I can't believe the league is dumb enough to not see how damaging this is to the general public's perception of the sport. I can 100% guarantee that PTI will be talking about this this afternoon, again (rightfully) criticizing the league and their absolute refusal to do anything about head injuries and cheap shots.

The NHL deserves the bad publicity.

Yeah, I'll say it--I wonder what the penalty would have been had this hit been on Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin?

If you slam some1's head into anything while you are holding the back of his neck/head, you should be suspended. You're trying to take some1 out of the game with a play like that, there's no other explanation. You can't allow this with the argument you want to see the best players on the ice because they'll all be out with concussions anyways if you allow this shit.

To give the NHL some credit, I won't be missing a game of this series now.

Because suspensions are the only way to discourage players from doing something?

k.... :\

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
yea. this fine is like a month car payment for him, its no joke guys

Somebody on TSN did the math and if this was translated to someone who made $70,000 a year this would be a $23 fine.

ShaneB

What an absolute joke.

I can't believe the league is dumb enough to not see how damaging this is to the general public's perception of the sport. I can 100% guarantee that PTI will be talking about this this afternoon, again (rightfully) criticizing the league and their absolute refusal to do anything about head injuries and cheap shots.

The NHL deserves the bad publicity.

Yeah, I'll say it--I wonder what the penalty would have been had this hit been on Crosby, Malkin, or Ovechkin?

It's depressing to realize yeah.

Compare it to if a similar incident happened in the NFL. If after a sack, the player smashed the quarterback's head into the ground violently. Certainly would be more than a slap on the wrist.

Acid08

Banned
How fucking stupid. Oh well, Weber is going to be even more targeted than he was before. Give him hell Wings, if the league won't do anything than your team has to.

Ra\/en

Somebody on TSN did the math and if this was translated to someone who made $70,000 a year this would be a $23 fine.

I think the injury to the other player should play little to no role in the decision making process. Study the hit/play/sukerpunch etc and decide what to do about it.

The same hit on two different players can result in 40 games out with a concussion or nothing.

Which brings me to another point. Do the players sign documents or something stating that they won't sue other players for essentially assaulting them? Or is there an unwritten code of sorts.

Forgive my ignorance.

instead of $2500, why don't we do a percentage of a player's salary??

Plinko

How fucking stupid. Oh well, Weber is going to be even more targeted than he was before. Give him hell Wings, if the league won't do anything than your team has to.

We traded Commodore and Babcock won't bring up Smith (which he should do) so nobody will do anything.

Fixed1979

Serious fines. Like I said, start fining based on percentages of salaries. That way the punishments are standardized.

We need a new CBA for that, so maybe we'll see it next year but the players union is strong and I don't see much change happening for fines. Right now this is as high as it goes for players which means suspensions are the only thing that really have any deterrence.

Which brings me to another point. Do the players sign documents or something stating that they won't sue other players for essentially assaulting them? Or is there an unwritten code of sorts.

"Assault" in the context of sports is generally assumed to not be a tort in court, even the most egregious stuff. Courts have pretty much said they want no part in figuring out what is ok and what isn't.

Serious fines. Like I said, start fining based on percentages of salaries. That way the punishments are standardized.

Pay some goon a bunch of money to skate around and slam the opponents best players heads into the glass is the hockey you're asking for. If you go out of your way to try and injure some1 you should be suspended in any sport. Trying to knock a guy out of the game should result in you being tossed from the game (or miss the next one), Idk how a fine can be seen as fair no matter the amount.

It's not like he was just frustrated and just did it. He tried, missed, and tried again. He wanted to hurt him and chose the guys head. How can you argue against a suspension?!

Top Bottom