• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT| "The Cup is our destiny this year."

Alucard

Banned
Pens need to come out banging bodies and getting the puck behind the Flyers' D. Make them chase. Pens hockey is mostly about grinding and cycling. Do it. Burn them for 6 goals this one, boys. Expecting the PP to click in this one.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Also, adding to the popularity thing:

In fact, 35% of the Canadians polled claim that they will be supporting the Canucks in the playoffs, including 52% from Alberta, 46% from Manitoba and Saskatchewan, and 30% from Ontario. That’s a higher percentage in Ontario than the Ottawa Senators received, who are located, in case you didn’t know, in Ontario.

th3dude

Pens need to come out banging bodies and getting the puck behind the Flyers' D. Make them chase. Pens hockey is mostly about grinding and cycling. Do it. Burn them for 6 goals this one, boys. Expecting the PP to click in this one.

Basically play like they did in the first period and keep it that way.

ShaneB

It's not like they have many other Canadian playoff teams to cheer for.

This. Most Canadians just want a Canadian team to do well. Every time a team has gone far recently, it's pretty much national news. Calgary, Edmonton, Ottawa, Montreal, Vancouver, they all were cross Canada supported.

UberTag

I was just surprised to see that more people in Ontario root for the Canucks than the Sens.
More people chimed in their support for the Canucks over the Sens because they believe the Canucks actually have a chance to win.

Canadians want to back a winner... not a loser. Unless they're Leafs fans.

I really don't like the "Canada's Team" mentality that develops every single year. I've said it every year, and I'll repeat it forever. Some American teams have more Canadian players than Canadian teams do.
The Cup spent more time in Canada last summer because Boston triumphed over Vancouver. So your point is quite sound.

Alucard

Banned
I really don't like the "Canada's Team" mentality that develops every single year. I've said it every year, and I'll repeat it forever. Some American teams have more Canadian players than Canadian teams do.

Socreges

Banned
TSN just brought up the Angus-Reid poll and ignored that the Leafs were the most hated team, this after they had a news story on the Canucks being hated and OTR talking a lot about the Canucks being hated. They DID mention that "Nearly half the country would prefer to see an American team take home the Cup over the Canucks", ignoring the context that those people chose one American team as their favourite (ie, not just any American team).

Dat Ontario media. :D

Cory Schneider apologized (profusely) for his burn on Edmonton, by the way. Too bad.

Smiley90

It's about the team/location though, less about the players :p

Socreges

Banned
More people chimed in their support for the Canucks over the Sens because they believe the Canucks actually have a chance to win.

Canadians want to back a winner... not a loser. Unless they're Leafs fans.
Could you at least throw in some made-up statistics to support this?

I would just as easily guess most Canadians (who don't have 'their' team in the playoffs) would sooner cheer for the underdog than the favourite. That's what I would do, at least.

Alucard

Banned
It's about the team/location though, less about the players :p

People were mad at me that I wasn't cheering for Vancouver last year, and Edmonton and Calgary in years past just because they were "in Canada." I'm a Penguins fan. Why the fuck would I cheer for another team in the league?

People were mad at me that I wasn't cheering for Vancouver last year, and Edmonton and Calgary in years past just because they were "in Canada." I'm a Penguins fan. Why the fuck would I cheer for another team in the league?

Championships bring a lot of money to a city. I always root for U.S.A. teams that aren't Boston if Florida's out.

fallout

I don't like it either, but I don't begrudge people for having somewhat arbitrary reasons for rooting for a team. Shit, even the reasons why we all follow our respective teams are somewhat arbitrary.

Socreges

Banned
fallout said:
I don't like it either, but I don't begrudge people for having somewhat arbitrary reasons for rooting for a team. Shit, even the reasons why we all follow our respective teams are somewhat arbitrary.
Indeed. Otherwise how would one switch from the Oilers to the Jets overnight?

I'm sorry, I had to.

ShaneB

I don't really have a specific team to follow, other than just liking seeing all the Canadian teams do well (besides the bit of Leafs schadenfreude mentioned earlier today), so come playoff time, when the Canadian teams do make it, I'll definitely root for them.

But in general, the drama is always top notch for playoff hockey, so if there's an underdog to cheer for, or a team that hasn't had success in so long, I'll cheer for them.

Hell, I just love hockey, and playoff hockey raises that to another level.

Quick

Banned
I'll respect him for what he's done for Mental Health awareness, but Landsberg's interview style is fairly annoying. He'll ask questions he already knows the answers to and calls out his guests when they answer with something else.

I try to steer clear of OTR or anything with Landsberg on it. Not at all a fan of OTR and his personality overall. You're exactly right with how he interviews, and it's just terrible.

That documentary he did regarding depression was really tacky, and felt really forced.

MacAttack

Championships bring a lot of money to a city. I always root for U.S.A. teams that aren't Boston if Florida's out.

576x324_bostoncover2.jpg

Plenty of room on the bandwagon.

Smiley90

Really? Do you live in BC or how come oO. Also, if the Penguins were out, who would you root for? If you're Canadian/in Canada, would you then support a "Canadian" team or just someone random else? I think most people have odd reasons to follow a team that isn't necessarily based on "I have analyzed all teams an like this one the best". I'll always root for any Canadian team over a US team, even if I don't necessarily dislike them... Why? Just because I live here and some patriotic pride doesn't hurt anyone. But I don't understand how people could get mad at someone who doesn't choose teams to cheer for this way oO.

ShaneB

I try to steer clear of OTR or anything with Landsberg on it. Not at all a fan of OTR and his personality overall. You're exactly right with how he interviews, and it's just terrible.

That documentary he did regarding depression was really tacky, and felt really forced.

I was glad to see something like that documentary getting some air time, and a few things rang true for myself while watching it.

As for OTR, I'll agree, I use to watch it a lot years ago, when it was basically just 22 minutes of panel talk and Landsberg just being the mediator. I don't watch it anymore because it's on when I'm at work, but I know it's turned into a much different show now.

Anyways! Tonight's hockey action is starting soon!

Alucard

Banned
Really? Do you live in BC or how come oO. Also, if the Penguins were out, who would you root for? If you're Canadian/in Canada, would you then support a "Canadian" team or just someone random else? I think most people have odd reasons to follow a team that isn't necessarily based on "I have analyzed all teams an like this one the best". I'll always root for any Canadian team over a US team, even if I don't necessarily dislike them... Why? Just because I live here and some patriotic pride doesn't hurt anyone. But I don't understand how people could get mad at someone who doesn't choose teams to cheer for this way oO.

I cheer for underdogs or teams that have players I like.

Vancouver doesn't have any players I like.

Quick

Banned

I'm sort of the same. I don't really cheer for Canadian teams because they're Canadian. I was rooting for Phoenix and Tampa Bay last year for reasons I don't really remember. The same holds true again this year for Phoenix. And now with Florida.

Under that theory the Leafs are owed about 12 cups....

7PRHR.gif

Socreges

Banned
Smiley, where are you from?

It's all about tribalism. Can even (help) explain why people who feel they're on the margins cheer for another team and against the one they're expected to. I've got a friend who's like that and cheers for the Wings. He's just a constant source of hate for when I'm not getting enough here.

What surprises me is when people switch teams when they're older, like smash88. I can understand with Jets fans, though.

Alucard

Banned
Off to Cage Aux Sports with my wife. She's being awesome today and said she'll pay for my dinner and put up with my fandom. Woo!

Acid08

Banned
Milbury called the Sharks "cheaters" because of a pick Couture ran on the GWG.

Would love to hear him call out the Blues for the exact same thing. Or how about Detroit? Fucking clown.

Smiley90

Smiley, where are you from?

It's all about tribalism. Can even (help) explain why people who feel they're on the margins cheer for another team and against the one they're expected to. I've got a friend who's like that and cheers for the Wings. He's just a constant source of hate for when I'm not getting enough here.

What surprises me is when people switch teams when they're older, like smash88. I can understand with Jets fans, though.

I've been living in Vancouver for about 3 years now. Originally though? Switzerland.

Top Bottom