• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL '12 Playoffs |OT2| NHL ratings up 50%; GAF ratings down 90%

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
It will be interesting to see how GM's respond to these playoff results in the off season.

nordique

Gonna be a great Stanley Cup final.

I enjoyed both teams in the season and in the PlayOffs

Would be nice to NJ to win it for me, simply because it would be nice for Brodeur to get one more SC

But LA as a team I enjoy more.

Good matchup.

Cagey

Banned
Expect 90% of coaches next season to implement the trap on their teams system if they haven't already.

What are you referring to: the "repackaged as layering" 90s NZ trap, the Devils/Kings "trap you in your own end" forecheck trap, or the Rangers "tryhards eat pucks to the face until a bounce creates a breakaway" six goalie defense trap?

What are you referring to: the "repackaged as layering" 90s NZ trap, the Devils/Kings "trap you in your own end" forecheck trap, or the Rangers "tryhards eat pucks to the face until a bounce creates a breakaway" six goalie defense trap?

All of the above

Expect 90% of coaches next season to implement the trap on their teams system if they haven't already.

They'll lose the room before the season is over.

It's not a guaranteed win anyway, Ottawa tried it years ago when they hired Hartsburg, he was gone before the season was done.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

If this happens expect the league to widen the nets as soon as possible.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
It doesn't matter how they play; if people want to convince themselves that the Devils are a boring/trap team, they will. It'll take them a long time to completely shed that label.

Socreges

Banned
That's just the price we pay for having teams in the Sunbelt.
Ironically some of the people here regularly talking about these nonexistent trap systems are from Ontario/Quebec.

St. Louis' success (with the trap) could still serve as a model for teams next season, but they did get swept by Los Angeles, so I doubt it. Teams that focus on skill and possession (Vancouver, Detroit, Pittsburgh) all went out early, so I could see some aversion to their coaching strategies, which really sucks. What's obvious (to me) from these playoffs is that you won't get anywhere if you don't have solid goaltending, defense, special teams and four lines that can forecheck aggressively. The first three were always the case, but forechecking has really seemed to be an important staple of the teams that have gone deep.

Pfft, last year people were saying that teams would try and mimic Boston's "ice a big, tough lineup with low-medium scoring players spread throughout" mantra since, of course, they were the Stanley Cup champs. Now this year you'll have a SC winner that isn't like that at all. The Kings have size, but they aren't 'mean' like the Bruins at all; they use their size to employ an aggressive forecheck, but they've also got elite snipers like Kopitar and Doughty.

To be completely honest, a lot of winning the Stanley Cup is just luck. That's not to say that it's not a monumental task to win it, because it is, but look at last year: the two teams in the Stanley Cup Final both went to Game 7 OT in their first round series (as did New Jersey this year). Just a simple puck bounce the other way and history is completely changed. LA's been dominant this playoffs, but they got to build up a 3-0 lead against the Canucks who didn't have their top scorer, they got to face the Blues who had both goalies injured, and then they went up against arguably the worst team to make it to the WCF in a long while (thanks to God Smith).

You might see more teams try to forecheck harder next year, but I don't expect to see anyone trying to emulate either SCF team fully.

Barrage

Re-arranging your team/philosophy because of the results of one year's Playoffs is a foolish idea, the kind of short-sighted thinking any good GM won't adhere to. How many Trap Teams have won the Cup since the Lockout? Any team that has quality personnel doesn't need to trap.

And yes, the league should send out a memo that NJ is not the dull-as-dirt team of the 90's. People mocking them for Trapping is like mocking the 2012 Lakers for Shaq's FT shooting.

I was cheering so hard for New Jersey against New York. New York is god damn insufferable to watch the vast majority of the time. NJ/LA is the best potential cup final we could've gotten out of the final four.

New York/Phoenix... *shudder*

Socreges

Banned
GMs won't overhaul their teams, but it'll change their perspective in certain ways. Eg, if the Canucks had lost to the Lightning instead of the Bruins, Gillis would have never traded for Kassian. I'm not condoning it, but it's what inevitably happens.

Marvie_3

Banned
GMs won't overhaul their teams, but it'll change their perspective in certain ways. Eg, if the Canucks had lost to the Lightning instead of the Bruins, Gillis would have never traded for Kassian. I'm not condoning it, but it's what inevitably happens.

Explains what Chicago did last offseason. Recchi and Thomas both won the Cup? They're old!

*Blackhawks rush out to sign Brunette, O'Donnell, and Mayers. Then trade for Brendan Morrison.*

I don't think teams alter their philosophy after a deep playoff run, just that teams' weaknesses are exposed.

Most of the regular season isn't remotely similar to playoff hockey, you can be a great regular season team but awful in the playoffs.

ShaneB

As much as I hate the Devils, they're far from the trap team I remember.

Both the Kings and the Devils have been lighting up the scoreboard and playing crazy aggressive forechecking games.

Socreges

Banned
I don't think teams alter their philosophy after a deep playoff run, just that teams' weaknesses are exposed.

Most of the regular season isn't remotely similar to playoff hockey, you can be a great regular season team but awful in the playoffs.
It's less intense, less gritty... otherwise it's still NHL hockey. The most important difference is that the teams that were most successful over an 82-game stretch lasting from October until April won't necessarily be the best team for a two-week (or longer) span afterwards.

He still would've traded Hodgson though.

It's pretty evident that Hodgson didn't want to be a part of this team, better off trading him when his value's super high.

Socreges

Banned
He still would've traded Hodgson though.

It's pretty evident that Hodgson didn't want to be a part of this team, better off trading him when his value's super high.
For sure, he would've traded Hodgson.

Still don't agree with the timing, though. Any trade demands were made months earlier and not in the lead up to the playoffs. I think Gillis just didn't want his hand forced in the offseason and thought he needed to get some size/grit to replace skill.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
Pfft, last year people were saying that teams would try and mimic Boston's "ice a big, tough lineup with low-medium scoring players spread throughout" mantra since, of course, they were the Stanley Cup champs. Now this year you'll have a SC winner that isn't like that at all. The Kings have size, but they aren't 'mean' like the Bruins at all; they use their size to employ an aggressive forecheck, but they've also got elite snipers like Kopitar and Doughty.

To be completely honest, a lot of winning the Stanley Cup is just luck. That's not to say that it's not a monumental task to win it, because it is, but look at last year: the two teams in the Stanley Cup Final both went to Game 7 OT in their first round series (as did New Jersey this year). Just a simple puck bounce the other way and history is completely changed. LA's been dominant this playoffs, but they got to build up a 3-0 lead against the Canucks who didn't have their top scorer, they got to face the Blues who had both goalies injured, and then they went up against arguably the worst team to make it to the WCF in a long while (thanks to God Smith).

You might see more teams try to forecheck harder next year, but I don't expect to see anyone trying to emulate either SCF team fully.

Yeah every year it comes up. One team wins the Cup and every media personality believes all the teams will now change their style to match that team and surpass them.

The Kings are very balanced. They have 2 lines that can score, bottom-six role players, 3 good D-pairings, and top-tier goaltending.

I haven't seen the Devils play much but they seem to be built the same way.

fallout

Yeah every year it comes up. One team wins the Cup and every media personality believes all the teams will now change their style to match that team and surpass them.
It's one of my biggest complaints about how the media handles winners and losers. Vancouver made it to game 7 of the SCF, so they must have been doing something right. However, many media sources take the approach that they had some gaping hole which needed to be corrected and that Boston had the perfect lineup.

Not to say that Vancouver doesn't have issues, but if Vancouver had won, we'd be hearing similar bullshit about the Bruins.

Socreges

Banned
It's one of my biggest complaints about how the media handles winners and losers. Vancouver made it to game 7 of the SCF, so they must have been doing something right. However, many media sources take the approach that they had some gaping hole which needed to be corrected and that Boston had the perfect lineup.

Not to say that Vancouver doesn't have issues, but if Vancouver had won, we'd be hearing similar bullshit about the Bruins.
Totally. And it happens within each game, too. Winning team? Emphasize what they're doing right. Or make it up altogether. Losing team? Emphasize what they're doing wrong. Or make it up altogether. Coach is talking to his team, but you don't know what he's saying? Make something up that sounds interesting. Everything has to fit into a narrative in which the commentators are omniscient and never lack for some banal/invented observation.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle

Oh yeah I can see it already, had Vancouver won we'd be talking about how the Bruins rough and tough style is a detriment to their play. They should jettison their grind it out style and focus on a more finesse approach. Goodbye to the likes of Thornton and others of his ilk, you are not needed in the new NHL.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Winning a cup seems to be the only metric of success for whatever reason

Seeing my team in the playoffs would be a successful season to me at this point lol

twitter.jpg

LA Kings twitter at it again and that's what might be a little bit of "official" smack talk between 2 teams on twitter. I wonder if we'll see more of this.

Quick

Banned
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk264/hoagster/twitter.jpg[IMG]

LA Kings twitter at it again and that's what might be a little bit of "official" smack talk between 2 teams on twitter. I wonder if we'll see more of this.[/QUOTE]

THE GAME, GENTLEMEN, IS ON.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
LA Kings twitter at it again and that's what might be a little bit of "official" smack talk between 2 teams on twitter. I wonder if we'll see more of this.
the reply to the canucks fan who brought up how many cups LA has won was the best

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
The Kings twitter has been the most entertaining thing in these playoffs since the first round ended.

Socreges

Banned
the reply to the canucks fan who brought up how many cups LA has won was the best
The guy seems so stupid/fickle, as if he's a straw man set up to flatter the LAKings account:

Joel Charron ‏@J_Charron
@my_MILK_yellow Not sure how Vancouver is, I don't live there...but the team is prolly on a golf course rite now.
Joel Charron ‏@J_Charron
@yup124 no, not mad @ all. I'm jumping on the Kings bandwagon, got room for me? ;)
Joel Charron ‏@J_Charron
@LAKings I am pulling for u guys tho...I hate NJ, their style of hockey bores me. Put money down on u guys..help me not go broke eh? :)
Joel Charron ‏@J_Charron
@LAKings about the same...but hopefully u guys can change that number...wud like to see Westgarth on the ice though. Good luck in the finals

Top Bottom