• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 14 GM Connected League Thread (360)

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Forgot the teams are randomized, going to pick a different team then the Avs

Red_Man

Just went with the Southern Habs, aka Tampa. Ill give anyone all my players for Drouin /halfjoking

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Just went with the Southern Habs, aka Tampa. Ill give anyone all my players for Drouin /halfjoking

You HAVE Drouin. Prospects are with the respective teams :p

You also have Landeskog and Hooberdoodoo, talk about a stacked team wow.

Also 6for8, there's no way I'm accepting that trade with Florida. The Detroit trade is already very borderline and a cap dump that I MIGHT accept since it's the first sim. The florida trade is way too one-sided though.

I accepted the EDM/FLA trade.

Red_Man

W2Y2O.gif

I've already won in my own mind. Just gotta make sure I don't trade the 1st overall pick this time around....

I spent a good 15 minutes trying to get Yakupov from Minnesota before one finally went through. I was just trying anything at that point and I was shocked the CPU actually accepted it. It does address a need they have and they'll be set on RW for years even without Yakupov, but I wouldn't be shocked if you reject it.

Smiley90

I spent a good 15 minutes trying to get Yakupov from Minnesota before one finally went through. I was just trying anything at that point and I was shocked the CPU actually accepted it. It does address a need they have and they'll be set on RW for years even without Yakupov, but I wouldn't be shocked if you reject it.

Yakupov is already better than Booth AND younger AND higher potential, you need to add way more to that to make it fair. Involving draft picks, especially not-1st-round picks tends to screw over the AI in trades. You need at least another 4star prospect or sth in there to make that trade fair.

Smiley90

I've already won in my own mind. Just gotta make sure I don't trade the 1st overall pick this time around....

Fear the line of

Hall-Thornton-Kane
Gardiner-Schultz.

I need to replace Thornton with someome young, then I'm set. I also have Rychelt (LW) and Murray (D) coming up as 4.5 prospects.
Quite happy with my team, just need to snag a lefthanded OFD/2WD as 6th D-man, then I'm more or less set.

Also the app tells me that the Toronto trade offer includes a 27th round pick :lolol. I wonder what that is supposed to be. Also a 9th round pick in another trade...

Red_Man

I might be able to address one or both of your needs, take a look at my team and let me know if you're interested in anyone. I need a big time C until huberdooberdoo is ready.

Smiley90

Might shock you guys with this one. But I put in a trade for Patty Kane. They've got a bunch of solid Right wingers with Franzen, St.Louis, Briere (not so great). Had to give up a three 4 star prospects in Etem, Zibanejad and Morrow + a Pick.

This is my first trade in a GM Connected league so I don't really want to step on toes, so please feel free and let me know if it's totally not allowed and if I should go and adjust it.

Thanks guys.

Checking ingame now, and seems you're getting Kane and a first back? Not sure how I feel about that... They're giving up skill AND future picks... Maybe convert it into a 2nd and drop your 3rd? You're getting a franchise player in return after all.

Yakupov is already better than Booth AND younger AND higher potential, you need to add way more to that to make it fair. Involving draft picks, especially not-1st-round picks tends to screw over the AI in trades. You need at least another 4star prospect or sth in there to make that trade fair.

My first attempt had two four-star prospects, a 1st, a 2nd, and Ribiero and the CPU rejected it. :/ I'll try to get something more fair through again.

r3n4ud

Well guys, looks like I'm outta the league. My xbox died on me this morning. I unplugged it and let it be for the day. Tried to boot it up just now, nothing :/

You can scratch me off the list Smiley90 :(

OAK35

Neo Member
Checking ingame now, and seems you're getting Kane and a first back? Not sure how I feel about that... They're giving up skill AND future picks... Maybe convert it into a 2nd and drop your 3rd? You're getting a franchise player in return after all.

Okay, Just reworked it to them giving up a 2nd, dropped my 3rd.

Smiley90

Well guys, looks like I'm outta the league. My xbox died on me this morning. I unplugged it and let it be for the day. Tried to boot it up just now, nothing :/

You can scratch me off the list Smiley90 :(

Did you try plugging it in and out? :p I mean, the AC adapter. I swear it dislodged for me one time and it was the last thing I checked for connection. Too bad :/

Okay, Just reworked it to them giving up a 2nd, dropped my 3rd.

Sounds good, accepted the thing!

Going to sim for the very first time soon!

Smiley90

"Ottawa signed free agent Teemu Selanne to a 1 year contract"

SACRILEGE CAKE BOSS. SACRILEGE.

All three players I put an offer in for signed, shocking.

Nobody injured yet, good shit EA. 3-1 start to the season.

Holy shit the Leafs have 3 players with 10 points, leading the league lol.

Edit: scratch that, 3 players injured. Lol. At least nothing long-term... Yet.

Red_Man

Started 4-0-1, obamanotbad.jpeg

I just made a big deal for Benn, gave up a lot of young stuff let me know what you think smiley, I gave the team everything they were looking for. I really need a top centre until Huberdooberdoo is ready.

Smiley90

Started 4-0-1, obamanotbad.jpeg

I just made a big deal for Benn, gave up a lot of young stuff let me know what you think smiley, I gave the team everything they were looking for. I really need a top centre until Huberdooberdoo is ready.

For reference, the two trades for 4.5star players that have happened so far:

3 4star prospects for Kane (+2nd)

4star roster player, 4star prospect, 3.5star prospect +1st for Yakupov

The 4star roster player was Booth who's low 80's, not particularly valuable, and a 3.5star prospect isn't as valuavle as a 4star, so that's why the 2nd trade also has an extra pick in it.

The app doesn't show properly what picks are in your trade, but I'm guessing it's something like:

4star roster player with potential (more value than booth for sure) + 4star prospect + 1st + 2nd?

If so, I think that's a fair trade. I can't tell from the app what the picks are though, so if you tell me I can accept it right away.

As always, let me know if you guys think the trades above are fair or not. 4.5 star players are decently rare and I don't want the AI to be screwed over. Now that the season has started I'm also gonna be much stricter on cap space dumps. -cough- Elias trade -cough-

Smiley90

BIG DOG BIG NUTS

I hope you get the GTA reference, hopefully this goes better then last time.

I'm not that far yet, busy with school til Friday :/

I might put a trade together for a young good center prospect at some point... It's all I'm missing now. Will post here once I have something.

Also djblue/Chicago, you haven't claimed your team in the league yet...

Red_Man

What time do you Sim Smiley? I want to make sure I adjust my lineup before you do. Will I get Benn before or after the Sim?

Smiley90

I usually sim between 11 and 12 pm PST. Trades go through at the end of the period. (so, after I sim and after the games have been simmed) So Benn won't enter your lineup until after I sim/he'll still play this sim's games for his old team.

Red_Man

Alright, gotchya. I put in some offers for a couple UFAs so my team will look a bit different after this sim.

OAK35

Neo Member
Varlamov (4star), Hudler (4star), and a 2015 first for Bogosian. CPU accepted. Lemme know if there are any issues with that! Thanks

MacAttack

Varlamov (4star), Hudler (4star), and a 2015 first for Bogosian. CPU accepted. Lemme know if there are any issues with that! Thanks
Anybody in need of a rental goalie?

I have two 85 ovr goalies (Brodeur and Halak) on expiring ~$3mil contracts.

Would take low first or high second round pick or prospects.

Also on the block:
Corey Perry
Lupul
Heatley
Plekanic
Seabrook.

Anybody in need of a rental goalie?

I have two 85 ovr goalies (Brodeur and Halak) on expiring ~$3mil contracts.

Would take low first or high second round pick or prospects.

Also on the block:
Corey Perry
Lupul
Heatley
Plekanic
Seabrook.

goalie me up
make a blockbuster? sedin on the move too. halak + ... for sedin + ... ???

MacAttack

goalie me up
make a blockbuster? sedin on the move too. halak + ... for sedin + ... ???
I have to check your roster and the trade offer from cake boss but do you have any interest in Lupul? Lupul and Halak for Sedin and prospects and or pick(s)?

Since it is unlikely that I re-sign Sedin next year, how about:

Gormley+Sedin
for
Lupul+ Halak

Cake Boss- not interested in your washed up players. Give me some prospects.

Checking trades on the iPhone app is awesome and way more convenient than last year.

OAK35

Neo Member
3 picks (2 2nds, and a future '15 first), plus two 4 stars Robak (might be a 3.5, not sure) and Biggs for Nicklas Backstrom and a 4th. Seems fair. Made it rain with picks and some good prospects who play on the NHL squad. Lemme know of its a no go.

OAK35

Neo Member
Put in another similar trade earlier but I adjusted it so its up to Smiley on which ever ya think is fair.

Smiley90

Put in another similar trade earlier but I adjusted it so its up to Smiley on which ever ya think is fair.

Honestly, I REALLY dislike pick-heavy trades with the AI. They overvalue them way too much. A player is worth much more than a future pick for a player that May or may not pan out 5+ years down the road. Please don't try and make trades with the AI for one of their star players/prospects and only include maybe 1 decent prospect on your side and try and make up for the difference in picks. That will work in offline be a gm, but not in gm connected. The trades should be balanced and realistic. No team is gonna give up their franchise center who still has 10 years to play for a potential 2nd liner&backup goalie and picks for players that May or may not become nhl players 5+ years down the road.

Cake Boss

Banned
This shitty team.

shitty defense, shitty prospects, shitty PK, shitty bottom 6 players, meh offense. above average goalie.

Smiley90

I approved all of today's trades. If they don't all end up going through then it's because of the cap space. There were e.g. multiple trades made with NJ that all shrunk their cap, I went in order of how they were submitted, with older trades being approved first. If your trade didn't go through, check for cap space again and try again (this probably mostly applies to CakeBoss)

I would feel a lot better about my shitty team if I was responsible for drafting them.

There's no fantasy mode with AI involved, sadly :( Maybe in NHL 19.

Smiley90

I have Roy (85 C) and Grossmann (82 LHD) available, if anyone's interested. For Roy I'm looking for an 80-83 C with a preferably lower salary & maybe a prospect/pick. For Grossmann, no idea.

OAK35

Neo Member
Wheeler (4.5 stars) Hudler (4 stars) and this yrs 1st 2nd and 3rd for Kessel and a prospect? Aside from the picks, I gave up a top first liner, top 4 forward and a boatload of picks to offset The value of Kessel. I could be wrong so feedback would be great!

Smiley90

Wheeler (4.5 stars) Hudler (4 stars) and this yrs 1st 2nd and 3rd for Kessel and a prospect? Aside from the picks, I gave up a top first liner, top 4 forward and a boatload of picks to offset The value of Kessel. I could be wrong so feedback would be great!

Honestly, I REALLY dislike pick-heavy trades with the AI. They overvalue them way too much. A player is worth much more than a future pick for a player that May or may not pan out 5+ years down the road. Please don't try and make trades with the AI for one of their star players/prospects and only include maybe 1 decent prospect on your side and try and make up for the difference in picks. That will work in offline be a gm, but not in gm connected. The trades should be balanced and realistic. No team is gonna give up their franchise center who still has 10 years to play for a potential 2nd liner&backup goalie and picks for players that May or may not become nhl players 5+ years down the road.

I just told you this :lol Please don't try to balance out a trade so heavily with picks.

On the other hand, CakeBoss, I'm not sure that Canucks trade is fair to the AI either. Their player is MUCH more valuable than what you're offering in return and it's HEAVILY over-valuing your prospect relatively to what you're getting back. Beef it up or post the trade here if you want input from others, but I don't consider that trade even remotely even.

Cake Boss

Banned
lol, why do you hate me Smiley? I was actually having 2nd thoughts about that trade after the CPU accepted it.

You are seriously overrating OEL in this game, hes not rated that high in GMConnected to begin with.

Hes only rated 82OVR, and hes not even the best dman in that team. Voynov and Stall are the top 2 dman in that team.

I dont think I am overvaluing my prospect, Ceci has the 2nd highest trade value on my dman, only behind Mcdonah (88OVR). and has the highest potential of all my prospects. hes basically my best prospect.

The trade is

Oliver Ekmman Larsson
4.5 yellow star / 82 OVR / OFD / 22 years old
some minor leaguer to make it under the 45 skater rule.

for

Corey Potter
3.5 silver star / 82 OVR/ TWD/ 29 years old
Cody Ceci
4.5 yellow star/ 64OVR/ TWD/ 19 years old

Potter basically replaces OEL for them and they also get my best prospect. And I get a guy that can probably play in my top 2 sooner than Ceci can, while OEL cant do that in vancouver becuase he'll always be stuck behind their top 2 dman.

Smiley90

lol, why do you hate me Smiley? I was actually having 2nd thoughts about that trade after the CPU accepted it.

You are seriously overrating OEL in this game, hes not rated that high in GMConnected to begin with.

Hes only rated 82OVR, and hes not even the best dman in that team. Voynov and Stall are the top 2 dman in that team.

I dont think I am overvaluing my prospect, Ceci has the 2nd highest trade value on my dman, only behind Mcdonah (88OVR). and has the highest potential of all my prospects. hes basically my best prospect.

The trade is

Oliver Ekmman Larsson
4.5 yellow star / 82 OVR / OFD / 22 years old
some minor leaguer to make it under the 45 skater rule.

for

Corey Potter
3.5 silver star / 82 OVR/ TWD/ 29 years old
Cody Ceci
4.5 yellow star/ 64OVR/ TWD/ 19 years old

Potter basically replaces OEL for them and they also get my best prospect. And I get a guy that can probably play in my top 2 sooner than Ceci can, while OEL cant do that in vancouver becuase he'll always be stuck behind their top 2 dman.

He's "only" an 82ovr, but he's also only 22. Most 4.5star prospects take much more than 3 years to develop like that, so his ceiling is really high. You're essentially trading for short-cutting Ceci's POTENTIAL development by 5 years and making it an essentially guaranteed ceiling with Potter, who's not extremely valuable himself. That's my take on this, at least. If others find the trade fair (e.g. Potter is worth as much as short-cutting 5 years of development) then I'll accept it. Just my take is that it's imbalanced.

And I'm saying the game trade value of Ceci is too high compared to OEL. OEL should be much more valuable, since he's grown much faster than the average 4.5star prospect.

Red_Man

What the fuck kind of offers are you guys making to free agents? I'm doubling their cash and term requirements and haven't had a single offer accepted.......Jesus.

Smiley90

What the fuck kind of offers are you guys making to free agents? I'm doubling their cash and term requirements and haven't had a single offer accepted.......Jesus.

I got most of my FA's by simple offering them like 25% more than they asked for, same term :lolol

Nobody wants to come to Tampa. Everybody wants to come to Columbus. Clearly.

Top Bottom