• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

[
ibhsuCgKQ8HTBe.jpg

This image gives me Sega CD vibes.

I mean the general image quality is fine but there is something jarring about mixing real world assets with rendered backgrounds.

Hari Seldon

I played the demo for the first time last night. Is the camera angle in the demo new? I found it fantastic and I actually enjoyed the game more than I thought I would because of that.

BTW, I can confirm that Season, Playoff, and Shootout modes are not present in the PS4 and XBox One versions. I have a friend that got an early copy and I asked about them specifically. Bummed me out cause all I play is Season Mode so I can control all the rosters. Still getting the PS4 version though... and the XBone, PS3, and 360 versions some time down the line.

Boy, you hate to judge the way people spend their money, but...
Rewarding them for a single copy of this half rate next gen effort was too much for me, I can't imagine quadruple dipping. :)

I'm pretty pleased with the demo and plan on purchasing. I'll make my final decision after playing early access. Any word on the exact duration of the early access? Is it six hours like Madden?

Spades

Have there been any announcements of when the EA Access version is available and also if it's time restricted?

Fantastic OT title!

No EASHL, no buy.

My biggest dream was playing EASHL on "next-gen" and Rammer & gang blew it. Say goodbye to $60+boosts money, EA Sports.

A real shame, since the demo actually plays decent.

Seeya next year!

Have there been any announcements of when the EA Access version is available and also if it's time restricted?

It's five days before, I believe?

I think it's going to be six hours.

It's a shame they don't have EA Access on PS4 as that's the version I'm getting. I guess I will just play around with the Xbone version over the weekend.

GravyButt

Quick question. Whats the difference between HARDCORE and SIMULATION? Played the demo a lot, but still havent really noticed a difference?

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
BTW, I can confirm that Season, Playoff, and Shootout modes are not present in the PS4 and XBox One versions. I have a friend that got an early copy and I asked about them specifically. Bummed me out cause all I play is Season Mode so I can control all the rosters. Still getting the PS4 version though... and the XBone, PS3, and 360 versions some time down the line.

Wait.... what?

How the fuck do you not have a season mode? If this game sucks shit right out of the box, I'm trading it in ASAP before its value plummets thanks to backlash.

Whoever was responsible for this fuck up needs to be let go.

I'll pick it up down the road, maybe around Christmas/Black Friday, I just want to play a next gen NHL game since I skipped NHL14 last year. Been playing the Demo quite a bit and for the most part I enjoy it. I mostly just play Be A GM or versus against friends. Still curious on how many features they cut out of Be A GM mode though.

CREMSteve

This can't be true. So basically VS and HUT are all the game modes? lol

This can't be true. So basically VS and HUT are all the game modes? lol

Sounds like GM Mode is pretty much a Season mode with all the extra franchise maintenance. That's at least something for me since that's my most used mode. Be a Pro is in too. So I'm safe for content and I will dabble in HUT.

EASHL being gone is disappointing though. I've had some fun times with GAF on that.

Neil_J_UK

The game modes included on XB1/PS4:

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2014/nhl-15-game-modes-xbox-one-ps4

Hockey Ultimate Team

Hockey Ultimate Team (HUT) is the most played mode in EA SPORTS NHL and it’s easy to see why. Nowhere else can you build and play with a team composed of all your favorite players to create an ultimate dream team. Battle your way through 10 divisions in Online Seasons and face-off against other fan created teams from around the hockey world.

Online Versus Play

Online Versus Play connects you with other NHL®15 players from around the globe. Take control of any team in NHL 15 and Play a Friend for bragging rights, or jump into Ranked Quick Match to play an opponent with a similar skill set.

Be a GM

Take control of your favorite NHL franchise and guide them to Stanley Cup glory! Manage your team through free agency, the trade deadline, and the rookie draft to build a legendary NHL dynasty. Play up to 25 seasons as you play the roles of GM, coach, and player, all at once.

Be a Pro

Take control of your created player and guide them from the fourth line to superstardom. On the ice, score big goals, win key face-offs, land devastating hits, and play within your coaches system to earn more ice time. The more you get in your coaches good books, the more opportunities you’ll have to become a NHL star and lead your team to a Stanley Cup championship.

NHL® Moments Live

NHL® Moments Live lets you relive, recreate or alter some of the most exciting moments from the current and past NHL season. Relive Daniel Alfredsson’s return to Ottawa, recreate Ben Scrivens’ 59 save performance against San Jose, or alter the outcome of the Stanley Cup Playoffs. Moments will be updated where and when available throughout the 2014-15 NHL season.

Practice Mode

We’re talkin’ about practice! This is the perfect place to come and sharpen your NHL 15 skills. Experiment with the all-new Superstar Skill Stick on a clean sheet of ice before taking on real competition.

Neil_J_UK

Did anyone have any issues with frame rate on the demo?

I read comments from people noticing dips in frame rate - I'm super sensitive to frame rate usually, but I didn't notice a single dip.

wtf. what else is there? a simple team vs team mode?

fuck sakes NHL94 had those

EDIT: i see the list now

Quick question. Whats the difference between HARDCORE and SIMULATION? Played the demo a lot, but still havent really noticed a difference?

Hardcore basically makes you pass manually, that's the only real difference as far as I know - at least that was the case in the last years.

Ellite25

Why the hell are so many modes cut? Maybe EASHL was difficult to get in in time for some reason, but no season? No playoff mode? The fuck

The big one is no Shootout Mode in terms of resources put towards it, I mean really, how hard is it to have that implemented that they couldn't include it? You would think that would be a pretty simple mode to add in, the others I can understand because of how there is some depth to them and all, but shootout mode is literally just a shootout.

Cudder

The big one is no Shootout Mode in terms of resources put towards it, I mean really, how hard is it to have that implemented that they couldn't include it? You would think that would be a pretty simple mode to add in, the others I can understand because of how there is some depth to them and all, but shootout mode is literally just a shootout.
Especially considering shootouts are already in the game as tiebreakers.

Especially considering shootouts are already in the game as tiebreakers.

I'm surprised they still even have a goalie mode (and in the demo for that matter) with how everything else was cut.

I do have to say though, I'm glad they finally revamped the presentation though, that was always something they truly lacked in (Even though Doc and Eddy sound bored and unenthusiastic, Ferraro sounds great though).

So, if I wanted to play a single game, even then I am screwed?

No, you can still do single game mode.

bumpkin

Wait, so there's no way to play a season in a regular manner (pick a team, play the 80-someodd games and the playoffs)?

Delryk

My bro's buying it on X1.. so I am too.. but most likely going to be playing NHL14 99% of the time in EASHL mode with buddies.

baconcow

Not that I don't trust, but I would like to see an image or confirmation with a source showing the modes in (or lack of) before I believe the word of "a friend has this and they're out... and I'm buying 4 copies". Seems, to me, hard to digest without proof.

tmac456

waiting on reviews and user feedback to decide if i buy it. knowing me, i will regardless.

yes i hate myself

baconcow

Really seems hard to believe that these are the only modes that will remain, coming from NHL '14 and these modes:

Play Now / Exhibition (confirmed?)
Hockey Ultimate Team
NHL Moments Live
Be a Pro
Be a GM
Online Versus Play
Practice Mode
Live the Life
NHL 94 Anniversary Mode
GM Connecred Mode
Winter Classic
Playoff Mode
Season Mode
Be a Legend Mode
Tournament Mode
Create a Play Mode
Shootout Mode
EA Sports Hockey League (EASHL)
Online Team Play (OTP)

What exactly did EA work on for the past two years?

Fixed1979

lol @ this game. I hope the guys that buy it enjoy it and get their value from it, but I can't bring myself to spend my cash on NHL this year.

TheIdleMiner

Neo Member
I can't get over how half-assed this game is for current gen. The sad thing is that I am so starved for a hockey game that I'll probably get it anyway.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Boy, you hate to judge the way people spend their money, but...
Rewarding them for a single copy of this half rate next gen effort was too much for me, I can't imagine quadruple dipping. :)
Oh, I get the other versions 3-4 years down the line when they drop to like 10 bucks each. I collect every hockey game ever made. I just need to add them to my collection.

And for those wondering how they're going to play a "season" of NHL, there's still Franchise Mode, which lets you play up to like 25 seasons with a single team. You just can't play a single one off season and control all the teams.

Really seems hard to believe that these are the only modes that will remain, coming from NHL '14 and these modes:

Play Now / Exhibition (confirmed?)
Hockey Ultimate Team
NHL Moments Live
Be a Pro
Be a GM
Online Versus Play
Practice Mode
Live the Life
NHL 94 Anniversary Mode
GM Connecred Mode
Winter Classic
Playoff Mode
Season Mode
Be a Legend Mode
Tournament Mode
Create a Play Mode
Shootout Mode
EA Sports Hockey League (EASHL)
Online Team Play (OTP)

What exactly did EA work on for the past two years?

I said it when NHL 07 came out and I was saying it before they even announced NHL 15-- EA didn't take a year off, they were 100% working on the previous gen version for NHL 06 and for NHL 14. The stuff they took advantage of by waiting a year was minimal.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I said it when NHL 07 came out and I was saying it before they even announced NHL 15-- EA didn't take a year off, they were 100% working on the previous gen version for NHL 06 and for NHL 14. The stuff they took advantage of by waiting a year was minimal.
Yep, until people understand that the team is so small and still had to work full time on the last gen versions, they'll never get excused. It all comes down to EA's resource management. NHL doesn't sell that much so EA doesn't put extra man power on it. They talk about "shared systems" with the UFC and FIFA guys, but honestly, that's just PR talk for we now have an API or some better rendering tech. It's not like entire modes get shared across the games (especially if the UI for the games is drastically different).

I fully expect NHL 16 to have all the modes back in as they can see it's now a top priority for the fans.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
It´s strange that the Game Modes for PS3/360 also don´t show Season Mode or Playoff Mode...

http://www.easports.com/nhl/news/2014/nhl-15-game-modes-xbox-360-ps3

Maybe there´s still hope for the modes to be in PS4/XBO but not advertised by EA.

Well, a man can dream, right? :p
I was hoping for that logic as well, but I know for a fact those modes aren't in the PS4 and XBone versions. Even though they aren't listed for the last gen stuff, you know they're in there since they just left it alone. There would be no reason to take those out for the PS3 and 360 versions since they probably didn't even add anything to them.

MattDoza

Oh man, that thread title.

Skipping the game entirely this year. Hopefully the feature lockout is lifted for NHL 16.

Delryk

Yep, until people understand that the team is so small and still had to work full time on the last gen versions, they'll never get excused. It all comes down to EA's resource management. NHL doesn't sell that much so EA doesn't put extra man power on it. They talk about "shared systems" with the UFC and FIFA guys, but honestly, that's just PR talk for we now have an API or some better rendering tech. It's not like entire modes get shared across the games (especially if the UI for the games is drastically different).

I fully expect NHL 16 to have all the modes back in as they can see it's now a top priority for the fans.

The sooner they can get the OTP update.. the more chance we have of getting a basic EASHL mode update riiiiiiiight?.. lol.

Initially, it'll be random unranked drop-ins using NHL players. The second patch will bring the ability to play with parties/friends (lobbies or invites). Custom created skaters may follow. The release for each iteration is TBD and will be*free*downloads.

EA has*not*ruled out bringing in a scaled down ranked club system.

FLEABttn

Banned
lol @ this game. I hope the guys that buy it enjoy it and get their value from it, but I can't bring myself to spend my cash on NHL this year.

It's my first NHL game since NHL94 and I don't have last gen systems anymore. Oh well...getting it for like $25 anyways.

Top Bottom