• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

Neil_J_UK

Sucks that I won't be able to play this until the 22nd. If anyone will be playing HUT feel free to add me on PSN - Neil_J_UK

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Having switched back and forth between both versions for the past hour or so I have to say the PS4 version actually looks a little sharper to me... and I'm not noticing any framerate differences. I might be crazy.

I just spent about 20 minutes playing both and switching between the two inputs and I'm just not seeing it. The game definitely has something weird going on with the resolution/AA (and the jersey lettering looks like blurry shit when zoomed out), but it's the same in both versions. I couldn't see a difference in the frame rate either.

Really? Bizarre. I did the same thing and thought the PS4 was much blurrier.

How the hell do you intercept a damn pass? I know L1 does the dumb lay the stick on the ice animation, but every time they have the puck in the corner and I'm a defenseman in front of the crease (facing the puck carrier), he'll pass it right through me to a teammate for the one-timer. Drives me nuts.

Negative, I find the sticks actually work much better for the ps4 than xbox one. Ive tried both demos, just found the ps4 controller finally works better on something.

After 10 months now I actually think I like the DS4 overall better than the X1 controller now. Both have flaws, but the main thing for me is the analog sticks. The surface of the sticks is definitely better on X1, but I really prefer the rigidness and smoothness of the DS4 sticks. The X1 sticks are too loose for me with too large of a dead zone. There s virtually no dead zone on the DS4.

I find that I can aim better in FPS on the DS4, and for a game like NHL I find the sticks are smoother and I can stickhandle better. However, I'll probably get the game (if I do) on X1 because I have EA access, will get 6 hours early and 10% off, so the controller difference probably isn't enough to make up that difference.

On the topic of missing modes, I'm pretty annoyed at it because I skipped NHL 14 and was really looking forward to some EASHL on next (current) gen. I abandoned offline play vs. the CPU in like NHL 09 because its always been so mind numbingly horrendous and scrictly played EASHL. The demo definitely plays a better game against the CPU than last gen, but its still largely the same and I'm not sure I can buy the game if offline is all it really has to offer. 1 v 1 online play isn't much better considering 8 out of the 10 of the skaters are CPU controlled (aka braindead).

The best thing I can say for the demo is that the skill stick is WAY better than it was, which is funny because lots of people are saying they ruined it. Its actually much more realistic and nuanced now. Also the speed of the game on hardcore is pretty realistic, much slower than years past and closer to real life hockey.

Dazzyman

I can cope with the teams and Franchise mode. Gutted about not being able to play in a position online tho. Saying that I haven't bought an NHL for years and loved the demo so just bought it on demand.

Feel freeto add me on xbox one Dazzyman

I'm in the Uk but I play all hours due to poor health :)

Correct on both accounts.

Be a GM mode lets you act as the GM for ONE team for like 25 years. While you are GM, you can make trades, sign FA's, draft rookies, set your lines, and actually play all the games in the season and playoffs (or sim everything). I'm not sure if they will have the ability to get fired and hired by a different team, though. This mode will be enough for casuals to play a season or two, but the die-hards that actually play Season Mode, it severely limits us as we can't control all the teams and keep up to date rosters/lines.

Sounds like the GM mode satisfies my single player needs.

But 1 on 1 is the only online mode available? That sucks big time. In NHL 2K10 you could play up to 6 on 6 online! God damn it, 2K . . . just recompile NHL 2K10 for the PS4 and/or Xbox One and I'll buy it.

Just put a small team on it, get it running, and sell it online-only.

FFS, this is the second hockey season for the Xbone & PS4 and we don't have a decent hockey game? As soon as competition is gone, the games just stagnate.

eznark

Banned
Rammer himself said during their E3 press blitz that it was NOT in the PS4/XBone versions.

Fucking joke.

Can't wait til the start parsing this stuff back in in coming years as huge bullet points.

2016: - FEATURING SEASON MODE - A REVOLUTIONARY NEW MODE!
2017 - WE'VE GOT OUT DOOR HOCKEY, THAT'S RIGHT IT'S THE WINTER CLASSIC!!!!
2018 - EASHL!!!... ha just kidding, franchise will be dead by then.

The series has been coasting since NHL 11 I'd say. I was a NHL-every-year guy from 96 to NHL 13. Just got fed up woth 14 being more of the same. Then 15 rolls around and I'm ready for something new, but its missing so much.
So the very year 2K Sports put out their last NHL 2K game, EA's NHL began to stagnate. :-/

If EA stops trying to make NBA Live, NBA 2Kn will probably turn to shit as well.

I didn't really want to go digital but for AU$47 on the Indian Xbox store it's hard to pass up.

It's only the standard edition but still about a $15 saving off the US price and a $30 saving on a local physical copy.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Sounds like the GM mode satisfies my single player needs.

But 1 on 1 is the only online mode available? That sucks big time. In NHL 2K10 you could play up to 6 on 6 online! God damn it, 2K . . . just recompile NHL 2K10 for the PS4 and/or Xbox One and I'll buy it.

Just put a small team on it, get it running, and sell it online-only.

FFS, this is the second hockey season for the Xbone & PS4 and we don't have a decent hockey game? As soon as competition is gone, the games just stagnate.
For now, yes. That seems to be the only online mode besides HUT. They've said they're going to try and patch in Online Team Play (OTP) soon after launch. That will at least allow you to play 6 on 6, but you'll have to use real teams and not a team made of your own created players.

bumpkin

I wonder how long til the game goes on sale on PS4 and XB1 due to lousy numbers... I was in the day one camp, but the more I think about it, the less interested I'm getting in paying full price. :-/

TechJunk

I had initially preordered the PS4 version on PSN, after playing the demo (hype). Lack of features pisses me off, I asked for a refund and it's been approved. Gonna spend the money on Diablo 3 instead.

baconcow

The LA Kings mascot has been streaming the game, here (Xbox One). Brutal menus. Confirmed no season, playoff, or shootout mode. Be a GM takes forever to simulate games and has annoying pop-ups from scouts, etc. Not sure how EA dropped the ball this hard. Been waiting for an NHL game since NHL '08. Disappointed.

The LA Kings mascot has been streaming the game, here (Xbox One). Brutal menus. Confirmed no season, playoff, or shootout mode. Be a GM takes forever to simulate games and has annoying pop-ups from scouts, etc. Not sure how EA dropped the ball this hard. Been waiting for an NHL game since NHL '08. Disappointed.

Is it crazy that the one big fix I was hoping for this season was snappier menus?

Well, hopefully I can at least get to Be a GM and Be a Pro modes faster this year. Some of the regular modes would be buried in the menus in previous years.

baconcow

Is it crazy that the one big fix I was hoping for this season was snappier menus?

Well, hopefully I can at least get to Be a GM and Be a Pro modes faster this year. Some of the regular modes would be buried in the menus in previous years.

I have seen videos of someone playing NHL '14 Be a GM and the entire experience was presented far better, appeared to have more options, and didn't have menus nearly as sluggish as shat I watched in NHL '15.

EA owes us a discussion on what they spent the last two years doing. I'm willing to bet they spent more time designing new clothes to the two crowd models then they did on the rest of the game. What's the point of good gamepkay when there isn't a mode I want to play it in?

Got it on pre-order form Amazon for 38$....only reason ill be playing that crap.

Ill prolly resell 2 weeks aftter.

Played some access...VS is VS...not really fun as people try the same 2 shots every game and the goalie have some garbage animation.

Running into the goalie seem like a valid goal scoring strategy...

NO MODE FFS we're in 2014.

EASHL could have save this piece of crap but no Thanks.

Graphics still look horrendous in overview camera.

They are pretty decent in True Broadcast

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I honestly have no idea how the menus can STILL be as horrible. It makes absolutely zero sense.

Ont

Still liking the demo, so I'm keeping my Xbox One version pre-order.

I only have time for 1 on 1 games anyway, so losing other modes does not really affect me.

EA Access is now up according to the other thread.

Apparently no Instant Replay and no Edit a Player options. I imagine that means existing players. I'm not sure about the latter since I never played around with it in previous games.

Edit: that info might be from an unfinished download though. So hopefully this stuff is there when they reach 100%.

beanman25

EA Access is now up according to the other thread.

Apparently no Instant Replay and no Edit a Player options. I imagine that means existing players. I'm not sure about the latter since I never played around with it in previous games.

Edit: that info might be from an unfinished download though. So hopefully this stuff is there when they reach 100%.

replay is there. playing now.

jacobeid

Banned
The game feels so good, but dem feature lockouts make it hard to support with my $60.

I'll probably gamefly it until the prices come down. I don't like sending the message to EA that this stuff is ok.

Delt31

For those that have it via access, can you compare the graphics to the demo? Or in general, any improvements you see when compared to the demo?

I thought the demo was a big let down, with fuzzy graphics and recycled animations from the last gen. I would love to hear some positive improvements from it but recent years tells me the final game will be just like the demo.

thanks

Also - any word on whether this is 1080p yet? demo def wasn't.

So I downloaded the early access version, I'm like 30 seconds in and have already scored 3 goals, I picked the "new to the game" option but wow didn't expect it to be that easy, might need to bump that up.

Hari Seldon

I was going to cave and buy it, then I tried the demo again. The blurry graphics convinced me to not bother. 720p is simply not acceptable to me in 2014.

The biggest missing feature for me is online co-op. Any one else with me on that? The main way I play the NHL series is having a few buddies over to play together online against other people. Can't believe that's not included in NHL 15. Deal breaker.
Wait what, is this true? If i wanted to play through a season with my friend online we can't do that? That is just pathetic and a complete deal breaker if true.

Top Bottom