• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

Yep, until people understand that the team is so small and still had to work full time on the last gen versions, they'll never get excused. It all comes down to EA's resource management.

Well, if they want to reduce modes and keep a very small team, they're decreasing the value of the game to the consumer. However, it's still $60. So, until EA understands that by making the team so small, forcing work on multiple versions and managing resources as they do that fewer people will buy the game, particularly at that $60 price point, they'll never get excused.

I fully expect NHL 16 to have all the modes back in as they can see it's now a top priority for the fans.

Nah. Sales of this version will disappoint, reaffirming the small sales potential of the game, and resources will be held flat or reduced to reflect what they perceive as the market.

baconcow

I fully expect NHL 16 to have all the modes back in as they can see it's now a top priority for the fans.

I am sure if they know even 1% of their fans top desires (which includes Season Mode, EASHL, and OTP) they would have known these modes were a top priority to begin with. Instead, they market HUT as the most popular mode, which may be true, but is not going to win over the hardcore fans (who want online team-based modes) instead of a gimmicky pay-to-win (or increase chance to win) mode.

I really want a new hockey game...but I really dont want to support this bullshit. I hope I can hold strong and wait till next year.

Really seems hard to believe that these are the only modes that will remain, coming from NHL '14 and these modes:

Play Now / Exhibition (confirmed?)
Hockey Ultimate Team
NHL Moments Live
Be a Pro
Be a GM
Online Versus Play
Practice Mode
Live the Life
NHL 94 Anniversary Mode
GM Connecred Mode
Winter Classic
Playoff Mode
Season Mode
Be a Legend Mode
Tournament Mode
Create a Play Mode
Shootout Mode
EA Sports Hockey League (EASHL)
Online Team Play (OTP)

What exactly did EA work on for the past two years?

I am dumbfounded. A year late and it is barebones missing many popular game modes? I'm not sure I can support this.

Yep, until people understand that the team is so small and still had to work full time on the last gen versions, they'll never get excused. It all comes down to EA's resource management. NHL doesn't sell that much so EA doesn't put extra man power on it.

I think it is more like "What? 2K Sports stopped making NHL 2Kn? GREAT! Move half of our NHL dev team to other projects stat!"

a916

Cudder most likely Canadian and that's the price we face.

Garbage it uses NBC Sports intros instead of TSN, Sportsnet, and/or CBC. I don't want the subpar American experience.

Considering TSN is done with national NHL broadcasts and CBC HNIC is done in about 2 years, and Roger's Sportsnet's presentation is a complete and utter joke at the moment, NBC was the better and smarter pick.

baconcow

I don't know whether to be more happy that someone (EA) at least makes an NHL game or disappointed that they are taking advantage of the NHL market being so niche by putting limited resources on it and using that as an excuse. Having not bought an NHL game since '08, I am fine buying a half-assed game. However, I won't be returning to my NHL-each-year tradition (as I once did back when games seemed to build upon themselves).

I don't know whether to be more happy that someone (EA) at least makes an NHL game or disappointed that they are taking advantage of the NHL market being so niche by putting limited resources on it and using that as an excuse. Having not bought an NHL game since '08, I am fine buying a half-assed game. However, I won't be returning to my NHL-each-year tradition (as I once did back when games seemed to build upon themselves).

The series has been coasting since NHL 11 I'd say. I was a NHL-every-year guy from 96 to NHL 13. Just got fed up woth 14 being more of the same. Then 15 rolls around and I'm ready for something new, but its missing so much.

zorbsie

Was on the fence about getting the game. I liked the demo. I miss not having a hockey game on current gen last year. A couple of friends were thinking about getting it too, which usually makes the choice easier. But now that I see that game mode list. lol. Maybe NHL16 for me.

baconcow

The series has been coasting since NHL 11 I'd say. I was a NHL-every-year guy from 96 to NHL 13. Just got fed up woth 14 being more of the same. Then 15 rolls around and I'm ready for something new, but its missing so much.

Because of the systems I used to own, I was never able to get all of the EA games (N64). And being younger in the mid-90's, I ended up stuck with NHL All Stars '95. Even so, I felt that NHL '94 to NHL '96 to NHL '97 felt like incremental upgrades. Nothing, in my eyes, went backwards in those games. Those three still remain the EA Sport NHL glory days for myself. I played different versions since then, ending in NHL '08. I was really looking forward to the latest and greatest. I won't lie; I've played the demo 10 times, at least, and enjoy the gameplay. But, I play for Season and Playoff modes, mainly. Sometimes, I want to simulate a season in minutes, just to play the resulting playoffs and look at the stats.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Because of the systems I used to own, I was never able to get all of the EA games (N64). And being younger in the mid-90's, I ended up stuck with NHL All Stars '95. Even so, I felt that NHL '94 to NHL '96 to NHL '97 felt like incremental upgrades. Nothing, in my eyes, went backwards in those games. Those three still remain the EA Sport NHL glory days for myself. I played different versions since then, ending in NHL '08. I was really looking forward to the latest and greatest. I won't lie; I've played the demo 10 times, at least, and enjoy the gameplay. But, I play for Season and Playoff modes, mainly. Sometimes, I want to simulate a season in minutes, just to play the resulting playoffs and look at the stats.
You can still technically do that, but just in the Be A GM Mode.

Milly79

They could have at least worked on getting the game and modes in, rather than focusing on commentary and presentation. I much rather would've had a game on next Gen (even if it wasn't "next Gen", and let's be honest it still isn't). It plays fine, and I'm sure I'll pick it up, but God damn if I'm not disappointed with the lack of eashl. That's literally all I did along with a few other gaffers.

C Jones

Getting it on day one, but how do you cut out Tournament Mode? Was fun with international teams. It's a bracket, seems silly to cut it.

Are we ok in terms of leagues and teams on xbox one and ps4? Any word that there were cuts made?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Getting it on day one, but how do you cut out Tournament Mode? Was fun with international teams. It's a bracket, seems silly to cut it.

Are we ok in terms of leagues and teams on xbox one and ps4? Any word that there were cuts made?
From what I can tell, all the leagues and teams are still in.

GravyButt

Anyone own both platforms but leaning towards Xbox One over PS4? I thought I'd never consider that for a multiplatform game.

Negative, I find the sticks actually work much better for the ps4 than xbox one. Ive tried both demos, just found the ps4 controller finally works better on something.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Did anyone figure out what the deal was with the resolution? I dl'ed both the XB1 and PS4 version and the XB1 version is much sharper.

Are we seeing some MS/EA shenanigans here?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Did anyone figure out what the deal was with the resolution? I dl'ed both the XB1 and PS4 version and the XB1 version is much sharper.

Yeah I wanna know as well. Maybe we can get DF to run some tests when the final games come out.

Negative, I find the sticks actually work much better for the ps4 than xbox one. Ive tried both demos, just found the ps4 controller finally works better on something.

The PS4 version just feels off. Like the framerate is a bit more sluggish, and the feel and response from the controller wasn't as good. I need to go back and forth but it just felt off when playing the PS4 version after coming from the One.

Just so I understand these modes . . .

Be a GM - Lets me control a team and play individual games (as a player) all the way through a season to the Stanley Cup Tournament, right?

Online Versus Play - Lets me play online . . . but only against 1 other opponent? No multiplayer?

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Just so I understand these modes . . .

Be a GM - Lets me control a team and play individual games (as a player) all the way through a season to the Stanley Cup Tournament, right?

Online Versus Play - Lets me play online . . . but only against 1 other opponent? No multiplayer?
Correct on both accounts.

Be a GM mode lets you act as the GM for ONE team for like 25 years. While you are GM, you can make trades, sign FA's, draft rookies, set your lines, and actually play all the games in the season and playoffs (or sim everything). I'm not sure if they will have the ability to get fired and hired by a different team, though. This mode will be enough for casuals to play a season or two, but the die-hards that actually play Season Mode, it severely limits us as we can't control all the teams and keep up to date rosters/lines.

Correct on both accounts.

Be a GM mode lets you act as the GM for ONE team for like 25 years. While you are GM, you can make trades, sign FA's, draft rookies, set your lines, and actually play all the games in the season and playoffs (or sim everything). I'm not sure if they will have the ability to get fired and hired by a different team, though. This mode will be enough for casuals to play a season or two, but the die-hards that actually play Season Mode, it severely limits us as we can't control all the teams and keep up to date rosters/lines.

That's not Hardcore, that's like, rock solid hardcore. Be A GM is for people who like to manage everything about one team and build the team season after season (like myself), hardly for casuals.

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
Anyone own both platforms but leaning towards Xbox One over PS4? I thought I'd never consider that for a multiplatform game.

I'm going with XB1 but I seem to have it backwards. I do all multiplat on xbox and exclusives on ps. With the exception being destiny because my buddy agreed to get a xb1 and halo mcc if I get destiny on ps4.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
That's not Hardcore, that's like, rock solid hardcore. Be A GM is for people who like to manage everything about one team and build the team season after season (like myself), hardly for casuals.
Er, I guess I meant as hardcore as I play Season Mode where I literally edit the line ups for every single team for every single game in real time throughout the NHL season. I have to scour HF Boards, NHL.com's official roster sheets, and http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ so I can get the correct line ups. Let's just say I spend more time editing the line ups for teams than actually playing the game when it's all said and done. Doing the Saturday games takes me like 45 minutes to an hour to get all the teams correctly set up since like 24-26 teams are in action on those days. I'm crazy.

Er, I guess I meant as hardcore as I play Season Mode where I literally edit the line ups for every single team for every single game in real time throughout the NHL season. I have to scour HF Boards, NHL.com's official roster sheets, and http://www.dailyfaceoff.com/ so I can get the correct line ups. Let's just say I spend more time editing the line ups for teams than actually playing the game when it's all said and done. Doing the Saturday games takes me like 45 minutes to an hour to get all the teams correctly set up since like 24-26 teams are in action on those days. I'm crazy.

Yes, yes you are.

I can't believe there isn't a Winter Classic mode on top of all of the other removed game modes (EASHL was my most played mode.) This is inexcusable. Winter Classic is something you play rarely yes. But when your team finally get to host the thing and EA just doesn't have time for it? Yup. I guess I don't have time for NHL 15 this year. What a joke.

Has there been any "official" word on the blurry-ness in the demo? What the hell was going on with that?

Phreak47

On another note, I've been trying to confirm whether the digital versions will include $25 off NHLGCL... I've seen the question posed by a few others but no definitive answer from anyone.

If it does include it, I'd switch my physical preorder to digital.

Then, I can get back here to complain that much sooner.

I hope this bombs so hard. No EASHL is a complete screw up. I will be buying NBA2k for my winter time sports fix. Definitely buying a used copy of this or when it instantly drops to $30 like NBA Live did. The Facebook group for NHL is hilarious. There are about 30 negative posts for every positive one.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I heard there is no real replay mode either just that 5 seconds after you score a goal.

Is the game really 720p?
The demo had replay mode disabled, is that what you're talking about? Or do you mean like when the commentators talk about the goal you just scored and they show replays while they talk over them?

We don't know for sure if it's 720p or 900p or 1080p. I can't imagine it's 720p on PS4. The demo looks better than that, so does the front end UI.

I heard there is no real replay mode either just that 5 seconds after you score a goal.

Is the game really 720p?

Instant replay will be in according to a tweet by Rammer a week or so ago, it's just not in the demo.

As for the resolution, on the PS store one version says it's 720p and another says 1080p. Maybe the slightly more expensive version gets you the extra pixels as an added bonus :D

Instant replay will be in according to a tweet by Rammer a week or so ago, it's just not in the demo.

As for the resolution, on the PS store one version says it's 720p and another says 1080p. Maybe the slightly more expensive version gets you the extra pixels as an added bonus :D

At this point I dont care if its 720 or 1080 I just want the vaseline filter to go away.

Also how the fuck did that distracting NBC overlay pass the play testing?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Has there been any "official" word on the blurry-ness in the demo? What the hell was going on with that?

No idea. It was terrible compared to the XB1 version, which makes no sense at all.

Decado

I can't believe EA is trying push Origin yet not releasing some of their sports titles on it. This isn't the 90's.

TheStruggler

Report me for trolling ND/TLoU2 threads
waiting till next year never get why for every new generation of consoles they cut content, also the jersey movement looks beyond stupid hope they tone it down next year, you look like you have a parachute on your body, also played the demo the hockey players felt like they were skating through mud no sense of speed and cant turn or stop fast wtf

Vinc

No idea. It was terrible compared to the XB1 version, which makes no sense at all.

Having switched back and forth between both versions for the past hour or so I have to say the PS4 version actually looks a little sharper to me... and I'm not noticing any framerate differences. I might be crazy.

I just spent about 20 minutes playing both and switching between the two inputs and I'm just not seeing it. The game definitely has something weird going on with the resolution/AA (and the jersey lettering looks like blurry shit when zoomed out), but it's the same in both versions. I couldn't see a difference in the frame rate either.

Top Bottom