• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
The offense is so overpowered this year that I think complaining about people spamming the pokecheck is ridiculous - it's the only viable way to defend.

Yeah I can understand that argument, but it doesn't make for a fun experience. Does that happen in real NHL games? Are players skating around poking their stick all over the place?

I play really defensively, and pretty much park my defenseman in front to stop one timers. This is usually enough to shut people down because they can't score otherwise. I've been playing this game for years and would win maybe 85-90% of the time on 360. I use one-timers sparingly and was able to win before, but now the game seems more focused on dangling and dekes.

As frustrated as I get I still play because I want to win in spite of the brokenness of the game.

keezy

The offense is so overpowered this year that I think complaining about people spamming the pokecheck is ridiculous - it's the only viable way to defend.

I was playing against somebody using the Penguins. Malkin got 2 goals on me with wristers from the top of the circle. I've NEVER scored with a shot from outside the hash marks. Poke checks weren't able to defend against that.

- turn on PS4, open NHL 14
- get a warning that servers will go down in three hours
- start a HUT game
- get booted from game because servers go down three hours early
- lose 1 contract game from entire roster
- the next day, turn on PS4, open NHL 14
- both goalies now have goalie fatigue because it thinks i quit a game
- go to apply injury card to one of them so i can play a game
- neither goalie allows me to select the injury cards
- every other player does
- this fucking game

terrible

Banned
OTP update review in picture form:

1fkQkZl.jpg

Get used to the top right.

Neil_J_UK

Not played an NHL game in like, 10 years, but I'm really enjoying this.

I'm a big fan of ultimate team on FIFA, so I thought I'd give it a go on NHL without spending a penny - it's so weird that you can get a competitive roster for < 1000 coins a player. Good weird. I love the collections - I've got some decent pulls from them, like Karlsson and Krejci.

At first I thought I was awesome at this game as I went like 22-1-2 in seasons, but when I played in the cups against decent players I got my arse handed to me. Kinda feels like I can't defend well at all against good players, and when I do get the puck into their zone I'm instantly shut down. Any tips for a noob?

I have NHL 15 (bought used) for PS4. I'm available to play OTP any time people want me (OK not ANY time but a large amount of time). I am not a great player.

Name: Speculawyer

oldergamer

This is accurate.

People just back up to the goalie and spam the poke check button if you're on a 1 on 1.

Very frustrating as of late. I've lost like 5 games in a row because of this. I'm 22-10 right now.

This is it in a nut shell. I also see the occasional person able to spam stick lift from any direction without taking a penalty. WTF is wrong with this game?

Basically the only sure fire way to score is the inside the circle wristers. all you see is people trying to get into that spot to do it. I've played this game for many years, but this year feels the most unplayable to me. it happens to people i play with as well, you just don't feel in control of what is happening at times.

You pass the puck and it goes in a different direction then you wanted. Random players take penalties that have nothing to do with what you were doing up ice.

Vision control doesn't work at all anymore ( why the hell was this changed to skate backwards/spinorama?). I actually think this is why people have trouble scoring. hitting it causes your player to do the unexpected ( depending on your control scheme ) instead of being square to the goal. I would prefer to turn off the spin/skate backwards and just hold vision control that forces my player to face the goal. skating backward at that point should just be based on context.

hitting the popup menus during gameplay (to change your offensive or defensive settings) blocks you from being able to use those buttons while playing until the menu goes away. if you accidentally bring it up, you can't get rid of it fast enough. Doing it while defending usually results in a goal for the other team.

Players that don't receive a pass shouldn't get stuck in a slapshot animation if you were attempting a one timer. For that matter fix the god dam cross rink passing. I'm gonna try a different control scheme before giving up on this game.I just can't understand how frustrating it is to play, even when you win games. Almost every player online is complaining during games about the things out of their control.

Give me the option to turn of cashed passing. it causes me to give the puck away when there is lag and i over compensate for the delay by hitting buttons more then once!

I personally think there's certain things that should rely on player skill and not random tilt. Don't mess with passing, shooting, during a game. Don't make it random chance that a player you try to hit suddenly becomes invincible. Add a fucking "brace" for impact button, which allows you to absorb some of the body check (while forcing you to not be able to stick handle) which would at least make you feel like you in control if you don't get knocked down. you could even use it when you are near the boards and someone is coming in for a check ( which currently results in random boarding penalties. )

Rad-

How good is this game if the only mode I'll be playing is Be a Pro? I heard you can't sim your bench time but other than that?

AlexMogil

How good is this game if the only mode I'll be playing is Be a Pro? I heard you can't sim your bench time but other than that?

My big current problem with BAP is your teammates won't charge into the offensive zone so even when you are trailing the puck handler YOU end up going offside. Seriously frustrating.

It's still fun, but it also has a lot of the presentation problems the rest of the game has.

Quick

Banned
Having Doc and Eddie Olczyk for every intro got tiring quick. Ray Ferraro as the on-ice guy is pretty cool, but his lines quickly become repetitive.

Doc sounds okay, it's just nice to have a change from Gary Thorne from 2007 to last year.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Having Doc and Eddie Olczyk for every intro got tiring quick. Ray Ferraro as the on-ice guy is pretty cool, but his lines quickly become repetitive.

Doc sounds okay, it's just nice to have a change from Gary Thorne from 2007 to last year.

Everyone's lines become repetitive.

"They're recoiling here" every 2 minutes.

terrible

Banned
OTP is great btw. really impressed.

When you can get into a game with people who actually play their position properly it's great. I don't even care if they are good at it since I'm not, it's just annoying when you have to try to cover up for other players constantly. It makes things so difficult and unorganized and to be honest completely unfun.

I kept getting into the same lobby as 3-4 other guys the other night who all knew how to play their position and it was glorious. I was playing LD and couldn't believe the support I was getting lol. The center would actually come back and give support in the defensive end and the wingers would stay open on the breakout making it really easy to get the puck out when I got the puck. It's times like those where you think "holy crap this game is good".

Picked this up for $56 the other day, which is a bargain for a new release game here in Australia.

Anyway, I decided a while back once OTP was added that I would pick it up and I must admit I'm having an awesome time. The gameplay as we already knew is pretty spot-on and a major upgrade over previous years.

Nothing's changed in re: to guys selecting D but deciding to play as F's but otherwise I've managed to land myself on some teams with decent players who know how to cycle and play their positions.

OTP is great btw. really impressed.

It is goofy fun but man . . . the player controls are sluggish. And the players have too much momentum. It is hard to play decent defense because if you have any forward momentum when a turnover happens, they've got a breakaway real quick.

And as Cherry would say:

TOO MANY OF DEM PLAYERS NOT TEAM PLAYERS. THEY ALL WANNA HOT DOG IT RIGHT DOWN TO DA GOALIE, EH! BUT THEY AIN'T GOT THE SKILLS!

When you can get into a game with people who actually play their position properly it's great. I don't even care if they are good at it since I'm not, it's just annoying when you have to try to cover up for other players constantly. It makes things so difficult and unorganized and to be honest completely unfun.

I kept getting into the same lobby as 3-4 other guys the other night who all knew how to play their position and it was glorious. I was playing LD and couldn't believe the support I was getting lol. The center would actually come back and give support in the defensive end and the wingers would stay open on the breakout making it really easy to get the puck out when I got the puck. It's times like those where you think "holy crap this game is good".

Yeah, I'm tired of forwards that just hang out in center ice when the puck is in their zone just waiting for a breakaway pass.

And I'm tired of defensemen who just don't play defense at all.

oldergamer

Well i found out why the game seems so strange at times. Why some people canspam poke check without taking penalties. Why some people win faceoffs without losing more then 2 or 3 times in a game.

It's the same issue that has plagued the game for years. the alternate control schemes give more advantages then disadvantages. I suspected this was the case years back, but now I'm certain of it. for the control schemes that give less control, the game compensates for some of it.

The NHL94 controls makes it crazy easy to win face offs. all you have to do is hit a button. It doesn't matter that the other player is doing, your one button can counter it.

The hybrid controls auto aims poke checks. so you can skate around hitting it over and over without getting called.

Cudder

Well i found out why the game seems so strange at times. Why some people canspam poke check without taking penalties. Why some people win faceoffs without losing more then 2 or 3 times in a game.

It's the same issue that has plagued the game for years. the alternate control schemes give more advantages then disadvantages. I suspected this was the case years back, but now I'm certain of it. for the control schemes that give less control, the game compensates for some of it.

The NHL94 controls makes it crazy easy to win face offs. all you have to do is hit a button. It doesn't matter that the other player is doing, your one button can counter it.

The hybrid controls auto aims poke checks. so you can skate around hitting it over and over without getting called.

I think the faceoffs are done in a rock-paper-scissors manner. There's always a counter for every type of faceoff, no matter what control scheme someone is using.

garbagejuicer

Neo Member
I've found if you have any movement before puck drop on a face off and your opponent doesn't move, you will lose almost 100% of the time. The only exception being at the end of the game when it's trying to let the other team tie the score.

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD, is there a button you can press to secure puck possession of a loose puck?

Cause I've had so many goals go in as a result of my players refusing to collect the puck along the boards, even though I'm skating them RIGHT OVER IT.

ARGH!

....fun game overall though.

bumpkin

They should bring back EA Gameface for NHL 16 so I can put my ugly mug onto my custom player. None of the pre-set faces look quite right.

Quick

Banned
Team Creator with custom team logos and jerseys sound nice. World Cup of Hockey with authentic jerseys also.

Zamboni racing? lol wtf. Why the hell not.

Owner mode? Sounds intriguing. If done right and mixed in with Team Creator, this could be an interesting game mode.

Dunlop

Got this for my kid for xmas, please tell me there is an update I do not have because PSN is down that fixes the goalies.

Each game we play have double digit goals

nikos

Finally picked this up. How viable is it to play, and win, using the hybrid face button / right trigger controls? I like having buttons rather than exclusively using the right stick, but it's nice that it still works for dekeing and shooting.

daevv

Just started this on PS4 after buying it digitally on sale last week. Was a offline season mode ever added? I'm not seeing it in the menus.

Cudder

Just started this on PS4 after buying it digitally on sale last week. Was a offline season mode ever added? I'm not seeing it in the menus.
There's no offline season mode but if you turn off most of the options in Be A GM mode it basically becomes a season mode.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
Question: I'm playing GM mode and whenever I play my regular season games, the computer opponent always scores goals so freaking fast against my goalie...as if he has no time to react.

I have the game speed set to max and the difficulty at pro.

I've never had this issue with previous NHL games.

Question: I'm playing GM mode and whenever I play my regular season games, the computer opponent always scores goals so freaking fast against my goalie...as if he has no time to react.

I have the game speed set to max and the difficulty at pro.

I've never had this issue with previous NHL games.

Did you adjust the sliders?

Cudder

Am I the only person on GAF who plays HUT? This thread could've been so much better if EA didn't fuck things up :/

I played it for a long time. I got a Winter Classic Crosby and pretty much stopped playing. No matter what I do I can't seem to beat Division 1.

I picked this up during the PS4 EA digital sale to learn more about hockey. I've almost figured out how offsides works! I'm worried I'll break my controller with the skill stick controls. Are the Hybrid controls still a great way to play the game?

Quick

Banned
I picked this up during the PS4 EA digital sale to learn more about hockey. I've almost figured out how offsides works! I'm worried I'll break my controller with the skill stick controls. Are the Hybrid controls still a great way to play the game?

I'd say Skill Stick is best, but you probably can't go wrong with Hybrid controls.

NHL 16 needs to have a full fledged EASHL with needed changes and improvements to even get me to play the game. The only thing in NHL I ever play in EASHL and the fact it wasn't in 15 was and still is hilarious.

xJavonta

Banned
Coming from NHL 2004 Rebuilt to this is night and day. This game is honestly awful.

It's unbalanced. goaltending is so fucking bad it makes me wonder if anyone at EA actually played the game before it shipped.

The offense is laughably overpowered. It's only the first quarter and I have 7 goals with 13 shots on goal. That's stupidly high.

I'm still waiting on it to install so I've only played a few LA vs NY games but god I hope EA got their shit together for 16. This is an embarrassment.

Edit: skill stick is much nicer than regular old buttons though. But these players feel way too weighty

You've only played one gameplay version (arcade vs simulation vs hardcore), you haven't tweaked any sliders nor tried harder difficulty levels, and you just called the first period a quarter. The game hasn't even finished installing yet.

xJavonta

Banned
You've only played one gameplay version (arcade vs simulation vs hardcore), you haven't tweaked any sliders nor tried harder difficulty levels, and you just called the first period a quarter. The game hasn't even finished installing yet.
True, I haven't tried anything but simulation. I wish the game would finish so I could go about changing things.

I've been playing a lot of 2k 14 lately, my bad.

Top Bottom