• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 15 |OT| - Feature Lockout Edition

HF2014

Need a good opinion here. I tried out the demo, and somehow, liked it. I havent purchase a NHL game since NHL 09 i think. I just got a PS4 and decide to get the demo. I tried it "arcade style", because its how i like to play. Having the perfect simulation and 2-1 games is not what i enjoy now. Used to liked that a lot in the past, but id like a pick and play hockey game atm. There is a few thing i want to know.

- Is there cheap moved in it to score unlimited goals?
- Can you play arcade style in season or playoff mode?( read that the playoff mode was added recently )
- Is there more than 3 difficulty?
- Freaking Kreider jump into Quick like he did with Price in the last playoffs, and the two goals were not disallowed. Is there goalie interference in the penalties?? ;)
- Can u edit strategies?

Thanks if you got time to answer that!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
You can run into basically anybody and never get a penalty if you're not actively hitting.

Can't believe how laggy the menus still are, and when I fail to find a match on HUT it kicks me back to the main menu. Takes upwards of a minute to retry matchmaking.

Nibiru

Banned
I love the gameplay but holy fuck these load times are terrible. After I'm done winning the cup on my GM mode I'm done with that mode for good. I'll try the be a pro next.

Won't play this mode until this is in.

Seriously, what were they thinking? Who the hell wants to sit and watch the entire game?

I've been playing NHL 13 lately (which I bought brand new for $5 over a year ago)... will probably bite on 15 once the content is there. Might be a while though.

Well . . . at least the game provides some laughs.

1st goal...WTF?

2nd goal...I guess the puck crossed the plane but the game is not smart enough to disqualify it due to the goalie being pushed into the goal. They really need to fix that for multiplayer.

Yeah, when that first goal happened, I pulled my goalie and scored on myself because I knew the other player must be raging while I view the replay lol. I can't accept cheap goals like that... :/

I just love how the goalie is holding the puck in the 2nd goal and not giving a fuck.

bumpkin

Stupid. Piece. Of. Shit. Game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfqIjs68ArQ

I mean look at it, EA. LOOK AT IT!
Hmm... Yeah, the 1st one is just outright fucked. I've played close to fifty games now in my season and haven't had anything like that happen once though. Maybe the game just hates the Canadiens like the rest of the hockey world. ;)

It's hard to say, but the second could also just be some side effect of the rules being too lenient in your settings. Are you playing on regular simulation or hardcore? I haven't had anything like that happen in any of my games (yet). In fact, I think goaltender interference is the penalty I've gotten called for the most. Darn my overzealous forwards!

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Grabbed this for cheap off a friend, and I'm playing be a GM mode and it won't even show you the stats and breakdown for each game :lol :lol what a fucking joke.

baconcow

I hope they go well beyond that October update. It is nice to see them bringing back two decade old features, but they have a long ways to go to save face. I believe they should be updating the game until the end of April, at the very least. They owe purchasers of NHL '15 this much, at least.

terrible

Banned
Weren't we supposed to get the updated draft mode this month?

This is how my first BaGM season went:

- Dismantled the Canucks; ended up with 6th, 9th and 21st picks overall.
- CPU uses all three first rounders on unscouted goaltenders. Even for the Canucks, this is stupid.
- Eichel and Hanifin aren't in the game. McDavid goes 24th overall...

SMH. Not touching this hot mess until it's fixed.

Also, am I slow or is there absolutely no way to set persistent team and line strategies? Do I really have to use these laggy menus to adjust them before every single game?

You are not slow. You have to manually edit that stuff before every single game. You also can't make set plays or do any of the other basic stuff we've been able to do for 5+ years.

ryan299

It really pisses me off when I start a HUT team and right away I'm playing kids with really good NHL players. No matchmaking at all

Cudder

It really pisses me off when I start a HUT team and right away I'm playing kids with really good NHL players. No matchmaking at all

It matches you with other people in your same division, doesn't it?

Otherwise, just play solo games, get points/packs, and upgrade your team.

TTUVAPOR

Banned
I don't know why but them emphasizing "free" with this update annoys me, like it's something we should be truly thankful for.

Yeah, I hate when they say "free content update". Just say it's a fucking patch.

Title update replaced patching...because patching give a negative connotation that something was previously broken with the game.

EA need to really walk a fine line with their marketing/pr crap, free content update...whoopty freaking doo...does that mean there could be possible paid content updates?

Honome

Yeah, I hate when they say "free content update". Just say it's a fucking patch.

Title update replaced patching...because patching give a negative connotation that something was previously broken with the game.

EA need to really walk a fine line with their marketing/pr crap, free content update...whoopty freaking doo...does that mean there could be possible paid content updates?

That's really pathetic, trying to marketing something that should already be in the game as it's a glorioud thing they are doing... But since it's EA we could only expect that. Maybe they will release a Complete Edition in December with everything they ripped of, for a "cheap" price of $49,99.

I hope they go well beyond that October update. It is nice to see them bringing back two decade old features, but they have a long ways to go to save face. I believe they should be updating the game until the end of April, at the very least. They owe purchasers of NHL '15 this much, at least.

That would be nice but it's highly unlikely. They'll be working that long but holding back a feature or two to sell us in NHL 16.

Edit: Anyone find the CPU a lot harder in HUT solo games after the update? Great Britain on Superstar difficulty became a whole new team it seems. 5 one timers back to back to back.

Ellite25

Is there a reason why I put in the game but can't play anything other than Kings vs. Rangers? I have no idea what the fuck is going on.

bumpkin

Is there a reason why I put in the game but can't play anything other than Kings vs. Rangers? I have no idea what the fuck is going on.
I think it's some sort of introductory game thing. I didn't try to just quit out of it, but either way, once you get past it you can do whatever you want.

Pretty incredible. Next-gen sports games have all kind of been disappointment when it comes to menu navigation/loading, but NHL 15 apparently takes the cake!

And it is such a simple thing! The loop running the game with AI, sound, graphics rendering . . . that's complex stuff. But how do you fuck up menus? I don't get that.

I don't understand goalie fatigue in HUT. At first I could just bench/backup a goalie with it and it'd go away, but now it's not going away at all. They don't actually want me to buy goalie fatigue injury cards every time this happens, do they?

I don't understand goalie fatigue in HUT. At first I could just bench/backup a goalie with it and it'd go away, but now it's not going away at all. They don't actually want me to buy goalie fatigue injury cards every time this happens, do they?

I have 7 goalies.

All fatigued.

Benching is a hit and a miss.

Fuck this game.

Edit: EA is lucky I'm craving some hockey :(

Speaking of fatigue, sometimes players are fatigued for over one game so maybe that's why it doesn't work? I don't know. I've tried it all.

Buy cards! Buy cards!! Ď#

I just slotted my goalie fatigued guys in as backups again and their fatigue went away after one game. No friggin clue with this game.

Maybe it means you have to wait an actual literal day before doing it? Who knows.

Also, of the 5 online games I've played, I've been able to get past the first period in one of them. The other 4 all stalled on the "Waiting for other user" screen. Had to wait 10 minutes today before it finally logged out.

I think it's because I push the X button too fast to get to the second period or something.

Also this game has stalled on me more times than every other single PS4 game combined.

Also jesus christ EA

keezy

I don't understand HUT at all. I've played 3 games today I can't even win. Team is so bad. It's crazy.

Drew Miller is the best player on my team. I'd rather sub in a local Midget B team and have them as opposed to mine.

keezy

Nice video tutorial on the skill stick here:
http://www.easports.com/nhl/tips-and-tricks

It would be nice if they put that shit IN THE GAME. But apparently having lots of features, game manuals, being fully debugged, and providing tutorials is something that is handled with patches and the internet these days.

I was looking at this the past weekend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SacUprn-6ls

I have the between the legs down but I still have some work to do with the backwards skating component.

GravyButt

Did the tuner update fix a lot of ai issues? I had custom sliders and downloaded the tuner update and mine arw gone.

Im noticing its a lot harder to score.

Cudder

Is there a new update for this? I'm downloading a patch that's 1.2 GB.
QAySbMT.jpg

GravyButt

Well I take back what I said sort of. The ai team actually shoots the puck now, but im still putting up 7 goals a game. Why ea why?!

I just slotted my goalie fatigued guys in as backups again and their fatigue went away after one game. No friggin clue with this game.

Maybe it means you have to wait an actual literal day before doing it?

The goalie has to be in your active roster as backup to recover from fatigue (backup goalie). It takes one game to recover.

zychi

Banned
Nice video tutorial on the skill stick here:
http://www.easports.com/nhl/tips-and-tricks

It would be nice if they put that shit IN THE GAME. But apparently having lots of features, game manuals, being fully debugged, and providing tutorials is something that is handled with patches and the internet these days.

God forbid they could just have the browser on the console open directly to the youtube video.

I'm shocked I haven't seen a $40 sale yet for this game. It's worth buying at that price, imho.

I ended up giving in, bought it for $39 off amazon used.

Glad to see defense AI fixed. My defenders always left open men in front of the net. I've wondering what they are thinking.

Played last night, defenders are still failing to adequately cover the open man in front of the net. The biggest problem I have when on the defense is that the AI refuses to go after the puck. Often I will poke or lift the puck away from an attacker, have the puck move within feet of an AI defender and they will not collect it. The games lacks options when on the defense, poke check is near useless unless you are trying to intercept a pass and checks can be easily avoided or the player too often retains the puck after a big hit. The stick lift and positioning defense men in the shooting lanes are the only consistent moves that are useful when on defense. Have to play defense very conservatively to do well.

Top Bottom