• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Boy howdy am I excited about him! Y'know, just incase the avatar wasn't obvious enough...

Etem. Fahst. Palmeiri. (post-slump) Fowler. Possibly Dumba. The future is bright as fuck.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
I don't see why Luongo would accept a trade, unless the locker room has turned on him. It bothers me to no end that shell-shocked Vancouver fans look to him as the reason for their record-setting exit, and pay no attention to the anaemic forwards and statuesque defensemen.

I'd personally like AV to be canned - I've never liked how the Canucks play under him - and Schneider to be traded for an offensive d-man and a couple blue chip draft picks.

Oh, to Marvie & rev and the odd play-off only fan that stumbles in here:

welcome-mat.jpg

A couple of blue-chip draft picks AND an offensive d-man? We're talking about a backup goaltender. How much did Halak net Montreal?

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Glen Healy said that Edmonton was going to keep their pick and grab Yakupov, but it's also Glen Healy......and seeing as Kevin Lowe is running the WC and invited Ryan Murray I could see the Oilers trading down for him.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
So apparently Luongo would wave his NTC if asked to... interesting:

If the Vancouver Canucks want to move Roberto Luongo this summer, the veteran netminder won't stand in anyone's way.

In his final media availability of the season in Vancouver on Tuesday, Luongo told reporters he would be willing to waive his no-trade clause if general manager Mike Gillis asked him to.

"It's going to be what's best for the team," said Luongo. "Whatever scenario that is, I'm okay with it - whether that involves me being here or not is okay. We've got a lot of potential in this locker room, there's a great core of guys, and the chance to do something special."

"They've got a guy [Schneider] here that is going to be a superstar in this league for the next 10, 12, 15 years," said Luongo. "It is a business and that's the way it goes. I loved being here the last six years. I think my career has really taken off and we did some incredible things. If I'm here in the future, then great. If I'm not, that's good also."

Luongo, 33, signed a 12-year, $64 million contract extension with the Canucks in 2009.

With Luongo in goal, the Canucks won the President's Trophy and advanced to the Stanley Cup Final last season, where they fell to the Boston Bruins in seven games. In their regular season rematch on Jan. 7, the Canucks raised a few eyebrows when Schneider got the start - a 4-3 Vancouver win - at TD Banknorth Garden.

Luongo played the first two games of the opening round against the Los Angeles Kings in the postseason and the Canucks fell behind 2-0 in the series, prompting head coach Alain Vigneault to go with Schneider the rest of the way.

This will certainly fuel the fire over who to trade where for what.

Where would Canucks fall on the draft after being knocked out first round? Is it ranked by post-season exit or regular season standings?

Smiley90

Where would Canucks fall on the draft after being knocked out first round? Is it ranked by post-season exit or regular season standings?

26th -flips table-

29th and 30th are the SC finalists, 27th&28th are the WCF/ECF, rest is based on regular season. Yeah we've been fucked pretty hard. Being good in the regular season actually hurt us more than it helps. (Also because we lost all home games.)

26th -flips table-

29th and 30th are the SC finalists, 27th&28th are the WCF/ECF, rest is based on regular season. Yeah we've been fucked pretty hard. Being good in the regular season actually hurt us more than it helps. (Also because we lost all home games.)
Maybe Yakupov will drop to 26th?

Cactus

Banned
D'amigo is killing it for the Marlies. Damn Amurikan players.

Marlies up 2-0 in the series, already. I like.

I forgot that the AHL playoffs are only up to 5 games, so one more for the sweep.

The Marlies looked great in the two games that I watched. They can roll four lines without any of them being taken advantage of and the defence is stacked. There a re a lot of players who will probably see time with the Leafs next season, so I'm really hoping we see a long playoff run and hopefully a chance to play for the Calder Cup.

As much as I like Luongo, I feel that the Canucks desperately need to get younger and trading away Schneider won't help that. Our current core just doesn't seem to have that fire anymore and the best way I can think of lighting it up again is to bring more young talent into the team. Maybe having a young tandem of goaltenders might set an example for the rest of the team.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Lidstrom on Tuesday confirmed that Nashville Predators coach Barry Trotz said "Please don't retire," to him in the handshake line when Nashville beat Detroit on April 20.
awww, thats sweet

Well in Detroit news, it is all but confirmed Stuart will not be back with Detroit because of his family.

http://www.mlive.com/redwings/index.ssf/2012/04/family_matters_might_mean_defe.html

Also it sounds like Babcock really wants a better offense next year, and Holland seems to agree as well. I hope we can fix our offense, it was brutal this year down the stretch and in the playoffs.

hmmm, well I do see Brad Stuart and his kid a lot at the San Jose ice rink I play at. Hopefully he'll come back and the Sharks can re-sign him for cheap.

Wouldn't mind letting go a dumbass like Colin White and Jim Vandermeer to bring on Brad Stuart :D

hmmm, well I do see Brad Stuart and his kid a lot at the San Jose ice rink I play at. Hopefully he'll come back and the Sharks can re-sign him for cheap.

Wouldn't mind letting go a dumbass like Colin White and Jim Vandermeer to bring on Brad Stuart :D

Stuart is good for about 10 goals or so.... on his own net. So seeing as how the Sharks like to score on themselves, he should fit right in.

I will miss some of his d play around the net, saved quite a bit of goals that were going in, but with that said, he had a terrible playoffs and a decent regular season.

Hmmm, Gillis mentioned in his conference that Jensen is very close to NHL - ready.

I'd love to see a kids line of Kassian - Schroeder - Jensen.

Acid08

Banned

Woah Woah, don't talk about Vandy like that! He's a great 6/7 dman. White wasn't even bad during the first round, he turned it around pretty good near the end of the season.

Murray on the other hand was awful down the stretch and against St. Louis. Even Colin White is a faster skater than Murray.

Woah Woah, don't talk about Vandy like that! He's a great 6/7 dman. White wasn't even bad during the first round, he turned it around pretty good near the end of the season.

Murray on the other hand was awful down the stretch and against St. Louis. Even Colin White is a faster skater than Murray.

I think Murray was super hurt when he came back. It really showed with how sluggish he was. I'm curious what his injury status was when they announce it.

Socreges

Banned
Luongo was older than the two of them when he signed it though wasn't he? I wanna say later twenties...

Marvie proving me right. So glad I don't have to be useful around here.

::Stands Next to Marvie:: "See. Told you so!"
Forever confused. I was responding to your "They're long, but it's a fair cap hit" --- we're not talking about the cap hit. We're talking about the length of the contract. You just seem to want to ignore that.

Acid08

Banned
I think Murray was super hurt when he came back. It really showed with how sluggish he was. I'm curious what his injury status was when they announce it.
Injuries should be announced today or tomorrow since they cleaned out the lockers today. I'm guessing Clowe and Couture are definitely injured, Murray too probably.

Even when healthy though he's a gigantic snail out there. The lack of speed killed us this year, needs to be addressed this offseason. New coaching staff would be nice too, wish Carlyle hadn't already been scooped up.

Thought up this Eklund-style trade scenario.

Kesler hasn't been great this year, and he has no chemistry with Booth. Why not trade him?

But who to replace him with? Jordan Staal. Also a solid two-way player, he's big (6'4", 220) and a good playmaker. He's also behind Malkin and Crosby and probably wants to be a second-line centre elsewhere.

1. Trade Edler for Staal. Pens get a young puck-moving defenceman.
2. Trade Kesler to NJ for Adam Larsson and Danius Zubrus (or maybe even Zajac). Canucks get their young Swedish defenceman (he's been underused in NJ). Zubrus can be the third-line centre. Why NJ? It could entice Parise to stay, plus everyone thinks he plays well with Kesler.
3. Trade Luongo to Tampa for Malone and pick(s).

Line-up looks like this:
Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Malone-Staal-Booth
Higgins-Zubrus-Hansen
Lapierre-Malhotra-Kassian
Weise

Hamhuis-Bieksa
Ballard-Tanev
Salo-Larsson
Rome
Gragnani

Schneider
Lack

This is also a good (irrelevant) read: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/04/luongo-trade-talk-30-thoughts.html

Socreges

Banned
Hmmm, Gillis mentioned in his conference that Jensen is very close to NHL - ready.

I'd love to see a kids line of Kassian - Schroeder - Jensen.
Which line would that be, though? Can't be top 6, can't be your checking line, and they'd be wasted with fourth line minutes. I can see Schroeder and Jensen starting the season with the Canucks before being sent back down. Jensen could stick around if he has an amazing start, but I doubt it.

Socreges

Banned
Thought up this Eklund-style trade scenario.

Kesler hasn't been great this year, and he has no chemistry with Booth. Why not trade him?

But who to replace him with? Jordan Staal. Also a solid two-way player, he's big (6'4", 220) and a good playmaker. He's also behind Malkin and Crosby and probably wants to be a second-line centre elsewhere.

1. Trade Edler for Staal. Pens get a young puck-moving defenceman.
2. Trade Kesler to NJ for Adam Larsson and Danius Zubrus (or maybe even Zajac). Canucks get their young Swedish defenceman (he's been underused in NJ). Zubrus can be the third-line centre. Why NJ? It could entice Parise to stay, plus everyone thinks he plays well with Kesler.
3. Trade Luongo to Tampa for Malone and pick(s).

<snip>

This is also a good (irrelevant) read: http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opinion/2012/04/luongo-trade-talk-30-thoughts.html
Really optimistic trades.

Kesler, I think, will have a better 2012-13. He was recovering from one injury (hip) while nursing another (shoulder). Maybe that's not the only reason for his struggles, but I expect him to improve.

I'm interested in Tabris' thoughts...

Hari Seldon

The rumors are hot and heavy here in Pitt that Staal might be on the trading block.

I hope to god not, but I guess they have to if they don't think they can get him to sign at a decent price. 23 years old, has a cup, 1 year left on his deal. Had 25g/25a in 62 games with virtually no PP time. I wonder how much someone would give up for him?

I really don't want to trade him because he is a god damn beast and is getting more beastly.

Revenant

Kesler, I think, will have a better 2012-13. He was recovering from one injury (hip) while nursing another (shoulder). Maybe that's not the only reason for his struggles, but I expect him to improve.

It just seems so wrong to have those words next to each other.

Lone, you're making Eklund proud.

Here goes....

Tabris said:
The Canucks do not need to make any moves going into next year. 3rd times a charm and they have destiny on their side.

Acid08

Banned
Just saw the injury report for the Sharks, jeezus.

Pavs had about 3 different injuries(knee,foot,groin) , Burns had abdominal issues down the stretch and in the playoffs, Couture is getting shoulder surgery for something that's been off since 2010.

Murray, Handzus, and Clowe also had groin issues. Clowe was dealing with concussion symptoms sometime during the season. Lots. of mobility affecting injuries.

Marleau was fine, guts are the only thing missing.

edit: add Galiardi(lumbar disc), White(shouder), and Wingels(shoulder). Sounds like most of them were injured during the last stretch of the season. At least it's slightly comforting to know Pavs and Couture had actual problems.

Socreges

Banned
So apparently Gillis said he's got "faith" in Raymond? Expect him to be brought back on a short contract for ~$2M.

It should be noted that Malone has a No-Move clause and likely wouldn't waive it to go to Vancouver.
Why do you say that?

I don't think he's the kind of player the Canucks should be adding anyhow. Older, injury-prone and signed @4.5M for three more seasons.

Since we are throwing up who we think should be shopped, for the Wings:

Emmerton
Franzen
Abdelkader
Cleary
Kindl
Quincey

Who actually will be shopped by the Wings:

... :/

ZeroGravity

Why do you say that?
He loves it in Tampa, and his father works for the Lightning organization. I've read before the only team he'd be willing to go to would be Pittsburgh. There have also been rumors the Lightning tried to trade him to LA for Bernier and Malone refused it.

I wouldn't mind getting Murray as a big body to make up for the loss of Stuart here, but the Sharks and Wings haven't ever made a trade between the two current GM's I believe. Clowe or Pav might be also nice to have on the Wings.

Smiley90

He loves it in Tampa, and his father works for the Lightning organization. I've read before the only team he'd be willing to go to would be Pittsburgh. There have also been rumors the Lightning tried to trade him to LA for Bernier and Malone refused it.

Just ASSUMING the Canucks would make the offer to trade Luongo to Tampa and IF Tampa would ask him to waive his clause, would he refuse? How often does it really happen that a player refuses to waive his NTC, especially if it's not to go to, say, Columbus...

Also, I don't want to see Kesler go, I agree with Soc, I think/hope he'll be better next season, fully rested after a long summer and more medical attention. And Edler... I dunno, he just had a terrible postseason but played well during the regular season, I don't think we should tradae him just for that, plus, he's still pretty young. Booth gets traded before Kesler IMHO.

I want a Douglas Murray- Karlsson pairing.

2 awesome swedes.

I'd say Ryan Clowe or Boyle. I could see Murray make a pitch from Boyle since he's from Ottawa and Murray love local players lol smh.

Didn't realize Boyle is 35 though.

Give us back Michalek.

What ? You don't like Havlat and his amazing talent of finding innovative ways of getting hurt ? Getting hurt coming off the bench this year smh.

Acid08

Banned
Boyle is old but has at least one really good year left. He's still dynamic but if the org was to trade him I would prefer it be this offseason while he still has value.

I think Michalek is on Havlats level of injuries. Was a huge problem for him here. Dat knee.

ZeroGravity

Just ASSUMING the Canucks would make the offer to trade Luongo to Tampa and IF Tampa would ask him to waive his clause, would he refuse? How often does it really happen that a player refuses to waive his NTC, especially if it's not to go to, say, Columbus...
He's got it pretty good in Tampa. I just don't see him wanting to leave, even to a great team like Vancouver. Especially because the Lightning really aren't that far off and he's a pretty important piece to this team.

I don't think Yzerman would be willing to give him up for Luongo either. Malone's contract isn't terrible for Tampa because of his low actual salary (his cap hit isn't really an issue here because the Bolts don't spend to the cap). Vancouver would probably have to take Ohlund's contract off Tampa's hands to consider taking on Luongo's.

Top Bottom