• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
I'll start a mob if he trades Gardiner.
You have my pitchfork.

Why would Burke get Lu though? He would be crippling the Leafs long term should a serious injury happen to him like Derpietro. If there were half the years remaining I'd take it, but at that price? Comasarek will be long gone by then. I'd rather sign a Vokoun short term.

Cactus

Banned
Also, Leafs-GAF, would a Luongo trade around Franson work?

I honestly don't expect Franson back next season, so I don't mind. Too many right-side defencemen and I think Franson would be worth more to us in a trade than signed to a more expensive contract.

Marvie_3

Banned
You're comparing to Brian Campbell instead of Jeff Carter. Roberto Luongo's value is somewhere in between those 2 players in terms of salary dumps and players / picks they can get back.
A mentally fragile, mid-30's goaltender with a TERRIBLE contract is not going to bring you anything good in return. Good luck with Rusty Olesz II

Luongo doesn't need to show up his talents. You know how he'll perform. Proven track record.
Of what? Being a headcase and getting yanked in the playoffs?

Acid08

Banned
Clowe would be awesome in Chicago. We have almost no size and the size we do have is useless most of the time. What does San Jose need?
Left side PMD
Speedy natural wingers

A lot of our offense are converted centers and it shows, would love some actual wingers.

I wonder if you can compare the current Leafs to the Canucks before Luongo. A top line coming into their own, and an unforgettable supporting cast.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Luongo is from Montreal and speaks French, there is no way that he will agree to come to Montreal with the nasty local media
Notsureifserious.gif

Darren Dreger said:
Canucks will have to take back a contract to trade Luongo. Still elite, but window is closing. Maybe has 4 good years left and lots of term.

Red_Man

Kypreos has been pretty spot on with his rumors/ insider information as of late hasn't he?

Red_Man

On the topic of draft picks, Forsberg has really been climbing as of late, and it seems pretty clear both Montreal and Toronto will get one of Yakupov, Grigoreko, Galchenyuk, and Forsberg. Right now a lot of the Montreal media and scouts believe Galchenyuk will be our pick, with Forsberg behind him if he's gone, and there's too many questions about Grigorenkos drive. His team gave up a 3-0 series lead in the playoffs and apparently he did shit all in it.

Cactus

Banned
On the topic of draft picks, Forsberg has really been climbing as of late, and it seems pretty clear both Montreal and Toronto will get one of Yakupov, Grigoreko, Galchenyuk, and Forsberg. Right now a lot of the Montreal media and scouts believe Galchenyuk will be our pick, with Forsberg behind him if he's gone, and there's too many questions about Grigorenkos drive. His team gave up a 3-0 series lead in the playoffs and apparently he did shit all in it.

I would be happy with any of those guys. My fear is that none of the first four teams pick a D and then the Leafs are stuck either picking Dumba or a second-tier forward like Faksa.

Red_Man

I would be happy with any of those guys. My fear is that none of the first four teams pick a D and then the Leafs are stuck either picking Dumba or a second-tier forward like Faksa.
I hope you guys don't pick Dumba, I've already said it but I don't like the idea of Toronto having their own Subban, and I don't see how a D doesn't go in the top 4, especially since Edmonton and Islanders are loaded on forwards. Biggest question for us right now is who out of Galchenyuk, Forsberg, and Grigorenko Timmins goes with, it could be any of them, although Grigorenko is looking like the least likely.

Cactus

Banned
I hope you guys don't pick Dumba, I've already said it but I don't like the idea of Toronto having their own Subban, and I don't see how a D doesn't go in the top 4, especially since Edmonton and Islanders are loaded on forwards. Biggest question for us right now is who out of Galchenyuk, Forsberg, and Grigorenko Timmins goes with, it could be any of them, although Grigorenko is looking like the least likely.

Forsberg seems like a player that Burke would pick (physical, skilled winger) but with the team in need of a franchise center, maybe he'll take a gamble and go with Grigorenko if he's still there. Not that he and his scouts have necessarily drafted poorly in the past, but I don't think there's a better time for Burke to take a risk and go for someone with a tonne of potential.

Do you think there's any chance that the Habs trade up? Everybody is expecting the Oilers to pick Yakupov, but maybe they'd be willing to move to #3 and draft a defenceman if the Habs present them with a decent offer.

Red_Man

Nah, the only way they could move up is by including one of our blue chip D prospects, and it won't be worth it with us being in the 3rd slot we're guaranteed to get one stellar forward unless they become an exceptional bust. Burke has spoken with Roy about Grigorenko, and said he liked what he saw but that was a few months ago. His complete disappearance act in the playoffs is pretty scary now.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I don't think this has been posted yet, but apparently there are some more teams on the rumoured "Luongo List" (this reminds me so much of the Rick Nash no-deal)

ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun reported Thursday that Luongo is working on a list of teams to which he would accept a trade. According to LeBrun's source, teams on that list could include the Toronto Maple Leafs, Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Chicago Blackhawks and New Jersey Devils, although the list is not finalized.

Haha Chicago. I don't think that'll happen, same conference & history. But it would be hilarious.

Red_Man

That would be really funny, too bad Big Buf isn't still a Hawk, it would be weird as hell seeing him in Jersey, but they seem to enjoy their ridiculously long contracts.

Heretic

I don't think this has been posted yet, but apparently there are some more teams on the rumoured "Luongo List" (this reminds me so much of the Rick Nash no-deal)

Haha Chicago. I don't think that'll happen, same conference & history. But it would be hilarious.

Don't read too much into that. He says the list COULD include. Might as well name every team on there...

Smiley90

Don't read too much into that. He says the list COULD include. Might as well name every team on there...

Well most of them just include the most likely targets based on goalkeeping, but I was still surprised to see Chicago listed.

Quick

Banned
I thought there was some friction between Luongo and the Panthers organization? I guess not. That, or management changes through the years made him forget about it.

Red_Man

Do they really want to bring in Lou when they have Markstrom waiting in the minors?

Socreges

Banned
Am I the only one who thinks Lebrun/Duthie/Kypreos (or their sources) are likely making up these reports from their own (hopeful) speculation? Not that those 5 couldn't be true, but somehow I doubt Luongo is creating a list at this moment days later, much less letting it slip.

Smiley90

Doubt it. I don't see the Panthers going after him, despite Luongo's apparently desire to play in Florida.

Yeah, they'd just end up with the same situation that Vancouver is in right now, with an upcoming great goalie and a good veteran goalie that has too big of a contract.

I think Tampa is the most realistic target. It's close to Florida but NOT Florida, it has no goaltending future/present and it can afford him.

NJ only of Brodeur retires, which I don't see happening just yet.

EDIT2: By "Florida" I meant "where the panthers play". Boo.

EDIT:

http://prohockeytalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/25/pht-list-10-reasons-luongo-could-end-up-in-tampa-bay/ said:
There’s no guarantee the Vancouver Canucks will trade, or be able to trade, Roberto Luongo this summer. However, if it happens, here are 10 reasons why Tampa Bay makes sense as a destination.

1. The Lightning are desperate for a goalie. We saw in the Jeff Carter trade to Los Angeles that desperation (the Kings badly needed scoring) can persuade teams to take risks they normally wouldn’t.

2. Tampa Bay isn’t exactly in “Stanley Cup or bust” territory, but the window on Martin St. Louis’ career is closing. He’ll turn 37 in June.

3. As Elliotte Friedman points out, management will often take on salary if it feels the player can deliver additional playoff revenue. And if the Lightning had had better goaltending this season, They might not have missed the playoffs. The capacity of the Tampa Bay Times Forum is around 19,000. Supposing the average ticket price for a postseason game is $50, that’s around a million bucks in ticket revenue per game.

4. The Lightning have the cap space to absorb Luongo’s $5.3 million hit. Dwayne Roloson ($3.5 million) will be off the books next season, and the Canucks could take back salary in return.

5. Vancouver GM Mike Gillis said Tuesday he wants to make his team “bigger and stronger.” Rumors of the Canucks pursuing Lightning forward Ryan Malone have popped up before.

6. In 2010, Luongo won a gold medal for Team Canada – a team that was put together by current Lightning GM Steve Yzerman.

7. Luongo’s wife, Gina, is from Florida and they have two young children together. Remember, the Canucks can’t trade Luongo anywhere they want – he’s got a no-movement clause which he’ll have to waive first. The Panthers also make sense if family is a significant factor; however, they’ve got top prospect Jacob Markstrom waiting in the wings.

8. Luongo would be the undisputed starter on the Lightning. There’s no blue-chipper like Cory Schneider in the system. (Which is another reason Yzerman might be interested.)

9. If Luongo’s sick of the media and fan attention he gets in Vancouver, Tampa Bay would offer a welcome respite.

10. Tampa Bay would provide Luongo a better chance to win than Columbus or Toronto, two other teams that need goaltending.

Red_Man

Am I the only one who thinks Lebrun/Duthie/Kypreos (or their sources) are likely making up these reports from their own (hopeful) speculation? Not that those 5 couldn't be true, but somehow I doubt Luongo is creating a list at this moment days later, much less letting it slip.
I think you are, Duthie and Lebrun are two of the most honest and connected people in the media, and don't just put out info they think has a chance of being true. Kypreos is the one I would be most weary of, but I'm pretty sure he's made quite a few correct calls similar to this in the last year.

Marvie_3

Banned
Yeah, they'd just end up with the same situation that Vancouver is in right now, with an upcoming great goalie and a good veteran goalie that has too big of a contract.

I think Tampa is the most realistic target. It's close to Florida but NOT Florida, it has no goaltending future/present and it can afford him.

NJ only of Brodeur retires, which I don't see happening just yet.

EDIT:

wat

Cactus

Banned
3. As Elliotte Friedman points out, management will often take on salary if it feels the player can deliver additional playoff revenue. And if the Lightning had had better goaltending this season, They might not have missed the playoffs. The capacity of the Tampa Bay Times Forum is around 19,000.

Supposing the average ticket price for a postseason game is $50, that’s around a million bucks in ticket revenue per game.

Tampa Bay lost upwards of $30m last season despite their playoff run.

If anything, they need to dump salary.

Marvie_3

Banned
Tampa Bay lost upwards of $30m last season despite their playoff run.

If anything, they need to dump salary.

Wow....look at the douche that wrote that article.

The $30M loss could be some creative accounting though. Chicago "lost" money the season they won the Cup. I also wonder how much of those losses had to do with all the renovations to their arena. Vinik paid for it so it wouldn't surprise me to those losses credited to the team.

Socreges

Banned
I think you are, Duthie and Lebrun are two of the most honest and connected people in the media, and don't just put out info they think has a chance of being true. Kypreos is the one I would be most weary of, but I'm pretty sure he's made quite a few correct calls similar to this in the last year.
This is how I see it:

ESPN.com's Pierre LeBrun reported Thursday that Luongo is working on a list of teams to which he would accept a trade. According to LeBrun's source, teams on that list could include the Toronto Maple Leafs, Florida Panthers, Tampa Bay Lightning, Chicago Blackhawks and New Jersey Devils, although the list is not finalized.

As per @tsnjamesduthie Sources say R. Luongo will submit short list of teams he'd waive no-trade to go to next week. Leafs will be on it.

Fact in bold.
Speculation in italics.

They group them together as if indistinguishable. It's actually interesting that they communicate the same speculation differently.

Kypreos' tweet is funny since it seems like he took the rumour about the "list", combined it with the info that Gillis would never ask a player to waive their NTC, and drew a (possibly) logical inference with some nice dressing included.

Marvie_3

Banned
Way to get arrested, Rev.....

Man Accuses Blackhawks, Cubs Of ‘Stealing His Idea To Win Championships’

An Illinois man was arrested this week for sending threatening emails to the president and owner of the Chicago Blackhawks and the former general manager of the Chicago Cubs, claiming they “stole his idea to win championships.”

Emanuel Kuvakos, 56, was arrested Tuesday night and charged with three counts of misdemeanor harassment by electronic means.

According to police, Kuvakos also sent an email to Blackhawks CEO John McDonough claiming he would keep the Blackhawks from winning the Stanley Cup.

Police also said Kuvakos told them he sent an email to Blackhawks owner Rocky Wirtz saying that if he ever saw Wirtz, he would beat him up.

The Tribune reported Kuvakos denied the messages where he accused officials of stealing his championship-winning ideas and claimed the police arrested him because of what “he knows’’ about the Blackhawks..

Top Bottom