• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Since we are throwing up who we think should be shopped, for the Wings:

Emmerton
Franzen
Abdelkader
Cleary
Kindl
Quincey

Who actually will be shopped by the Wings:

... :/

LOL...you're right. Nobody is getting traded.

Solo

Vancouver fans now wanting to trade Kesler?! Amazing the difference a year makes.....

BTW, we'll take him in Montreal thank you very much

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Vancouver fans now wanting to trade Kesler?! Amazing the difference a year makes.....

BTW, we'll take him in Montreal thank you very much

Vcr would be INSANE to trade him after I saw what he did with the US team during the Olympics He's definitely #1 centre material. If they're going to do something, they should just either trade Lu or Schneider for more complementary pieces...and better D.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Everyone talking Tampa and Chicago for Luongo

What about Detroit? They have the space, they could use the upgrade in goaltending, they could also give up their first and some prospects since they always get late draft gems anyways.

Cactus

Banned
Everyone talking Tampa and Chicago for Luongo

What about Detroit? They have the space, they could use the upgrade in goaltending, they could also give up their first and some prospects since they always get late draft gems anyways.

I would be surprised if they give up on Howard.

Well, I read this: http://www.vancouversun.com/sports/...de+Ryan+Kesler+unthinkable/6513132/story.html He's not the captain but trading Kesler would be tantamount to blowing up the team.

Heard someone compare the Hodgson/Kassian trade to Stojanov for Naslund (I'm guessing the Canucks got Stojanov this time). I thought it was more like the Cam Neely trade, and found this on his Wikipedia page:

Canucks head coach Tom Watt was not impressed with Neely's defense (Neely was 20 at this time), and that was what made him tradeable. Neely said "I was playing behind Stan Smyl and Tony Tanti, so I didn't see a lot of ice time, and, certainly not on the power plays."

Neely stated that "I was surprised at the trade."

Besides the PP issue, sounds a lot like Hodgson's situation (though Neely was a right-winger).

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
It's the Sun. Their job is to discuss hypotheticals.

My girlfriend yesterday was like "oh people were saying Kesler might be traded!"... I looked at the article and was like... no sources, yep, pure speculation, no way that's happening. smh.

I would be surprised if they give up on Howard.

Haha, no, we have Howard who was having an amazing season until he injured his finger unfortunately. We'll see if he can play like he did in the beginning of the season this year, as this is a contract year for him I believe.

Tabris

You do not trade Kesler. He had a bad season due to a combination of unknown injuries (briefly mentioned during Gillis' interview) and "clutching the stick too tight" when things weren't going right. Both can be addressed in the off season. Kesler is one of the essential pieces to our core group (Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Sedins) for both now and the upcoming future. (3-5 year span)

aidan

Hugo Award Winning Author and Editor
Dear Boston Fans,

Don't worry, we're here to welcome you with wide open arms and sloppy kisses.

- Canucks Fans

5NAx3.gif

UberTag

Dear Boston Fans,

Don't worry, we're here to welcome you with wide open arms and sloppy kisses.

- Canucks Fans
Wow, there's an off-season thread? I had no idea this place existed!
What are we supposed to talk about in here? I'm new to this whole thing.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
You do not trade Kesler. He had a bad season due to a combination of unknown injuries (briefly mentioned during Gillis' interview) and "clutching the stick too tight" when things weren't going right. Both can be addressed in the off season. Kesler is one of the essential pieces to our core group (Kesler, Burrows, Bieksa, Hamhuis, Sedins) for both now and the upcoming future. (3-5 year span)

"Unknown injuries" and "clutching the stick too tight"? Did he develop carpal tunnel syndrome?

Darren Dreger ‏ @DarrenDreger

As per @tsnjamesduthie Sources say R. Luongo will submit short list of teams he'd waive no-trade to go to next week. Leafs will be on it.

Booo, beaten

And I assume the Leafs are still on Nash's short list

Get those 2 and get rid of Komisarek and I think the Leafs are in business

Cactus

Banned
Welcome, Bruins fans.

Stable goaltending with Reimer backing up? I'll take it. If Burke pulls the trigger, I hope he doesn't give up too much.

This whole Luongo thing scares me. Obviously he'd be a giant upgrade over who we have right now, but that damn contract could be a big issue in 4-5 years.

Either way, it'll be interesting to watch how Burke handles this. Up to this point he's attacked "cap circumventing" contracts like Luongo's, but at the same time, he knows his job might be on the line and going into the season with Reimer/Scrivens is a recipe for disaster.

As per @tsnjamesduthie Sources say R. Luongo will submit short list of teams he'd waive no-trade to go to next week. Leafs will be on it.

Booo, beaten

The problem with Nash is that Howson is supposedly asking for way too much. The rumour at the deadline was that he wanted Hagelin/Kreider/1st/Dubinsky from the Rangers.

I agree about Komisarek though. He needs to leave.

Quick

Banned
Pretty much. Burke's going to have to eat his own words if he wants to make these big changes he's looking to make.

Luongo's contract is a bit of a turn off, but I'm willing to take it for stable goaltending.

Booo, beaten

What do they even have that could swing them both guys? Only so many draft picks you can throw away.

They'd also have to dump a couple/few big salary guys they already have, wouldn't they?

Cactus

Banned
What do they even have that could swing them both guys? Only so many draft picks you can throw away.

They'd also have to dump a couple/few big salary guys they already have, wouldn't they?

Luongo wouldn't take much to acquire but Burke would probably have to give up Gardiner++ for Nash, and I definitely don't want that to happen. The Leafs are too far away from contention to make that trade, IMO.

Cactus

Banned
On tv they were musing that the Luongo contract is such a mess that the Leafs may be able to trade Komisarek for Luongo

LOL, I can't even imagine what sort of meltdowns we would see if that happened.

I don't think Luongo's value is that low, but VAN will probably have to take some sort of salary back in addition to whatever else they get.

Montresor

If the Leafs get Luongo they will have already missed out on the big $10-million year (1st year of the contract). Years 2 through 7 of the contract have a salary only $1.4 million above the cap hit. It's not much of a cap-circumventing contract anymore for any new team that acquires him. It's really only that first year that gives you a huge benefit.

I hope Burke does it. We need an elite goalie. Luongo will be crowned a hero in Toronto. But man, it's hard for me to muster up any optimism because the entire team is such a clusterfuck. It makes me sick to my stomach when I think of Toronto's third line... Lombardi ($3.5million), Connolly ($4.75 million), and Armstrong ($3 million), all useless players. I don't trust Burke's judgment anymore.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I'll start a mob if he trades Gardiner.
Seems to be the Leafs best asset at the moment, if any huge trade for star players go down I would expect for Gardiner and the Leafs 1st to be involved. Schenn has played pretty poorly every time I watched the Leafs this year, so I'm not sure what is stock would be right now.

Tabris

Luongo would get you the playoffs. Then in a couple years you will see the confidence issues that I don't think can ever be fixed, but the Leafs need to focus on just making the playoffs right now.

Luongo also would return more value than Komisarek (who has 0 value). Canucks don't have to take on a nasty contract back as there will be teams willing to part with picks or good depth pieces or maybe a decent prospect to get a goaltender of his stature, and they won't be as cap constrained.

Luongo would get you the playoffs. Then in a couple years you will see the confidence issues that I don't think can ever be fixed, but the Leafs need to focus on just making the playoffs right now.

Luongo also would return more value than Komisarek (who has 0 value). Canucks don't have to take on a nasty contract back as there will be teams willing to part with picks or good depth pieces or maybe a decent prospect to get a goaltender of his stature, and they won't be as cap constrained.

And what teams do you think would be willing to take Luongo and his contract?

Florida may be headed to bankruptcy
Tampa might work but can they afford another looooong contract?
Edmonton and Columbus could both use a goalie but I somehow doubt Luongo will want to go to either

Marvie_3

Banned

NOBODY is going to take Luongo without sending a shitty contract back in return.

Players from the Sharks I could see being shopped around: Murray, Boyle, Pavelski, Clowe.

Who's interested?

I can see all of them gone, but not Pavelski. He's got the most trade value out of all them, but he's been also stepping it up for the Sharks for the past couple of years now while Marleau has been taking a back seat.

But if we're talking about Pavelski + some scrub for Rick Nash, then you've got my interest.

Marvie_3

Banned
Clowe would be awesome in Chicago. We have almost no size and the size we do have is useless most of the time. What does San Jose need?

Socreges

Banned
On tv they were musing that the Luongo contract is such a mess that the Leafs may be able to trade Komisarek for Luongo

Reality is somewhere between these two posts.

Tabris

NOBODY is going to take Luongo without sending a shitty contract back in return.

You're comparing to Brian Campbell instead of Jeff Carter. Roberto Luongo's value is somewhere in between those 2 players in terms of salary dumps and players / picks they can get back.

I feel like Luongo really needs to head to the WC. It'd be a win win for everyone involved.

Canada gets good goaltending instead of having to rely on Ward and Dubnyk.

Luongo gets to play more games and showcase his talents for a potential trade.

Luongo and Yzerman will get closer, possibly helping to facilitate a trade to Tampa.

Also, Leafs-GAF, would a Luongo trade around Franson work?

Top Bottom