• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Cactus

Banned
So, $27m for a 27 year old who scored 16 goals once? Hmm...

The deal could look good if last year wasn't a fluke, but signing him for six years seems like a huge risk.

22817008.jpg

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Apparently his breakout year was the year before in 2010-2011 where he was one of the best shutdown dman in the league.

http://www.the6thsens.com/2012-articles/march/jasongarrison993931.html

The scoring breakout was the icing on the cake.

Why the hell would you pair Tanev with Alberts?

Why would you put Alberts in the top six?!!

Because who else :( I'd rather have Ballard there, but... It's AV... Not saying that's how I want it, but how it COULD be, according to AV. Who else?

Tootoo is a dirty POS who doesn't contribute anything besides being a goon. He also comes with personal problems. I'd rather have Prust at 2.5 than Tootoo at 1.9.

I don't, we'll see how it goes this season, not a huge fan of this deal but I'm going to see how he does this season, he did get 30 points last years so maybe he can keep that up.

made me feel better about the gaustad signing, so thanks

I think both were over-payed, only time will tell though how these deals work out for the both of us.

ZeroGravity

Looks like Vancouver got a hometown discount:

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Garrison left $ on table - was offered "Wideman money" elsewhere - but wanted to play for hometown VAN, which held firm on internal $ scale.

So, $27m for a 27 year old who scored 16 goals once? Hmm...

The deal could look good if last year wasn't a fluke, but signing him for six years seems like a huge risk.
Honestly, I don't really care too much about his goal scoring. Hell, even if he fell back to his 20 points average, I'm fine with it. Canucks have enough goal scoring from the back end, much more than most teams at least. If Garrison can continue to eat up 24 minutes a night in a shutdown role like he has the past two years, then that's all we really need.

Because who else :( I'd rather have Ballard there, but... It's AV... Not saying that's how I want it, but how it COULD be, according to AV. Who else?
Connauton? He'll probably need another year in Chicago, but I wouldn't mind him pairing up with Tanev on the 3rd pairing. It gives us another bomb on the PP, which we desperately need.

Cactus

Banned
Honestly, I don't really care too much about his goal scoring. Hell, even if he fell back to his 20 points average, I'm fine with it. Canucks have enough goal scoring from the back end, much more than most teams at least. If Garrison can continue to eat up 24 minutes a night in a shutdown role like he has the past two years, then that's all we really need.

That sounds reasonable. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Still don't like the term, though. If he flops, you guys will have two long-term cap issues on the back-end.

sefskillz

shitting in the alley outside your window
Tootoo is a dirty POS who doesn't contribute anything besides being a goon. He also comes with personal problems. I'd rather have Prust at 2.5 than Tootoo at 1.9.

first time i can remember wanting to defend the wings. you're hitting marvie levels of dick-dom

RC

Banned
That sounds reasonable. I guess we'll just have to wait and see. Still don't like the term, though. If he flops, you guys will have two long-term cap issues on the back-end.

The length bothers me too. Especially for a kid I know next to nothing about. At least AV will play him more then Ballard.

I don't like the term either. It's 2-3 years too long for me, but I imagine there was no way he'd accept anything under 4 years from any team and that's fair.

My worry is what this does to Tanev, he's pretty much locked out of the top 4 right now unless Garrison crash and burns or Edler goes FA. That said, he's still 1-2 years away from an every day top-4 shutdown D, so it's still a ways away.

#redwings Holland: "We thought we signed some depth today and we got some ingredients that we're excited about adding.

Nice to hear this because it seems to me that Holland is still looking at a top 6 guy and makes it seem that he might go for someone like Semin if we don't get Parise.

Fei

first time i can remember wanting to defend the wings. you're hitting marvie levels of dick-dom

Dick-dom totally sounds like some kind of fetish.

Anyway, maybe I'm a bit over the top here. Full disclosure is that Tootoo is my least favorite player in the league, so yeah.

With Garrison gone we are lacking the big point shot. I'm hoping Kulikov steps up big. He has the power but lacks the accuracy. His snapshot is great and his offensive upside is great.

Acid08

Banned
Nice to hear this because it seems to me that Holland is still looking at a top 6 guy and makes it seem that he might go for someone like Semin if we don't get Parise.
Semin must be getting some crazy offers. I know the Sharks are going to be in on it, we're in dire need of a top 6 winger.

According to Canucks Army, Vancouver almost certainly bought him because of his ability to eat big tough minutes, as opposed to his offensive breakout last season. They project him to be a consistent 20pts guy, not the big offensive PP quarterback a lot of people think he is.

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/7/1/jason-garrison-a-canuck-defenseman-afterall

Fits my point earlier. Vancouver doesn't need someone to replace Ehrhoff's points, they needed someone to replace his minutes.

JABEE

Tim Panaccio said:
Still, neither Suter nor Parise nor their camps have indicated either player wants to sign as a Flyer.

Sources said the Flyers made the same 12-year offer to both players, deals in excess of $80 million and perhaps as high as $110 million. Their offer is for more money than any other, sources say.

The Penguins, Red Wings and Wild represent the stiffest competition. Each of them are believed to have submitted long-term offers, albeit, for fewer dollars.

Flyers have best offer in terms of dollars.

http://www.csnphilly.com/hockey-phi...rm-offers-to-Parise?blockID=733860&feedID=695

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage

What "ingredients?" The backup goalie? The old, slow 3rd-line winger? The 4th-liner?

Acid08

Banned
The Wild signed Taco Torrey Mitchell! Happy for the guy, even giving all terrible players hope! Now only half of our roster are centers!

Top Bottom