• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

JABEE

Nothing, amount of money offered doesn't mean jack to some players.
I wouldn't say going to the Flyers in Philadelphia, a city that he wouldn't even have to move out of New Jersey to commute to games would be a worse offer. Most money, Giroux, young core, #1 Winger, Cap team with United States ownership, and a team that consistently goes deep in the playoffs. I don't understand how going to the Flyers would be an example of greed.

I wouldn't say going to the Flyers in Philadelphia, a city that he wouldn't even have to move out of New Jersey to commute to games would be a worse offer. Most money, Giroux, young core, #1 Winger, Cap team with United States ownership, and a team that consistently goes deep in the playoffs. I don't understand how going to the Flyers would be an example of greed.

Never said that, just saying that money isn't everything all the time.

They also have a poor defense and a terrible goalie. Not exactly a complete team.

SpacLock

Don't know how I feel about Samuelsson and Tootoo (sheesh), but I agree with Crazed that there has to be a trade in the works. I feel confident about obtaining Suter. I'd really, really like to see Brunner get a good chance to find a spot on the team.

Can't wait to see how tomorrow plays out. I'm sure something good is in the works.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Don't know how I feel about Samuelsson and Tootoo (sheesh), but I agree with Crazed that there has to be a trade in the works. I feel confident about obtaining Suter. I'd really, really like to see Brunner get a good chance to find a spot on the team.

Can't wait to see how tomorrow plays out. I'm sure something good is in the works.

Babcock keeps saying he'll be a top 6 forward, so I don't think you have to worry about Brunner.

Fei

Sabres finally make a move! John Scott for 1 year, $600k. Shoot me.

Edit2: Nevermind, it's a one way contract. WTFFF

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Babcock keeps saying he'll be a top 6 forward, so I don't think you have to worry about Brunner.
He keeps saying that, but how does that really work with all the guys we have?

Franzen/Datsyuk/Brunner?
Flip/Z/Samuelsson (gross)
Cleary/Helm/Bertuzzi
Miller/Abby/Tootoo
Eaves, Nyquist, Emmerton, Mursak

I thought Nyquist was supposed to get top 6 minutes this year? You can't bury him on the 3rd line once every 6 games or he'll never grow.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
I know nothing about what kind of player Crabb is. Can anyone give me a good description?

Will probably score in his first 3 games then somehow clog a spot in the roster for the rest of the season

Hey he also used to be on the leafs top line!

Uhh

Those were some bad, bad memories

Franzen/Datsyuk/Brunner?
Cleary/Helm/Bertuzzi
Miller/Abby/Tootoo

I thought Nyquist was supposed to get top 6 minutes this year? You can't bury him on the 3rd line once every 6 games or he'll never grow.
We'll take Eaves off your hands.
Sabres finally make a move! John Scott for 1 year, $600k. Shoot me.

Edit2: Nevermind, it's a one way contract. WTFFF
:lol

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
And another thing, if the Wings do sign Parise or Semin or whoever, then what? They'll be on the top 2 lines which pushes Brunner or Samuelsson down, but you know Samuelsson didn't sign to play 3rd line minutes and Brunner, once again, supposed be a top 6 guy. You can't trade Cleary or Bertuzzi due to their NTC's. Even if you dump a miller or eaves or emmerton/mursak, that doesn't clear up the top 6. I have a feeling Franzen is being shopped around as part of a deal to get some picks or prospects.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

Franzen/Datsyuk/Brunner?
Cleary/Helm/Bertuzzi
Miller/Abby/Tootoo

What's the average age of your lines... Jeez.

pringles

The average age of the forwards (including the un-signed Abdelkader) is 28.75.

EDIT - Just for fun, the Canucks forwards (that are under contract as of this minute) is 28.09
Jesus fucking christ that is old. It's gonna be hard to tear greybeards like Helm, Brunner, Nyquist and Filppula away from Matlock long enough for them to get some practice in.

They also have a poor defense and a terrible goalie. Not exactly a complete team.

Flyers had a bad year last year, but on paper their top 6 is probably about average for the league if not a little bit above average. A guy like Suter would put Philly well above average in terms of defensive corps.

Bryz also had a bad year for him statistically. If he plays to an average level the Flyers should be expected to contend for the cup. I wouldn't say they're frontrunners, but they should easily be in the conversation.

Flyers had a bad year last year, but on paper their top 6 is probably about average for the league if not a little bit above average. A guy like Suter would put Philly well above average in terms of defensive corps.

Bryz also had a bad year for him statistically. If he plays to an average level the Flyers should be expected to contend for the cup. I wouldn't say they're frontrunners, but they should easily be in the conversation.

Bryz is never going to be successful in Philly playing the way they do. He was successful in Phoenix because of the system. See Mike Smith.

Without Pronger, theres not much there outside of Timmonen/Coburn. You lose Carle and it takes an even larger hit.

Why have I never seen this before?

i2Ag11mx6xEeK.jpg

Bryz is never going to be successful in Philly playing the way they do. He was successful in Phoenix because of the system. See Mike Smith.

Without Pronger, theres not much there outside of Timmonen/Coburn. You lose Carle and it takes an even larger hit.

Mez gets a lot of crap for his time in TB, but he's pretty solid as well. Provided we keep Carle we still have

Kimmo/Coburn
Carle/Mez
Grossman/Schenn
Last year's rookies

It's not great, but it's far from "bad." Granted, losing Carle would be a HUGE loss. People forget how many legitimate top 4 d-men are in the league.

Mez gets a lot of crap for his time in TB, but he's pretty solid as well. Provided we keep Carle we still have

Kimmo/Coburn
Carle/Mez
Grossman/Schenn
Last year's rookies

It's not great, but it's far from "bad." Granted, losing Carle would be a HUGE loss. People forget how many legitimate top 4 d-men are in the league.

Agree to disagree, but that defense doesn't scream Stanley Cup Champs to me. And like I've said before, neither does the Bryz/Leighton tandem. Philly getting Parise doesn't scare me one bit. Philly adding any other big time offensive player doesn't scare me.

Slurmer

Banned

Kimmo/Coburn
Carle/Mez
Grossman/Schenn
Last year's rookies

I am surprised to see you defending carle here. I cant wait for him to be out and someone else's problem.

Agree to disagree, but that defense doesn't scream Stanley Cup Champs to me. And like I've said before, neither does the Bryz/Leighton tandem. Philly getting Parise doesn't scare me one bit. Philly adding any other big time offensive player doesn't scare me.

I agree on the defense, but I genuinely believe Bryz can put up an adequate enough run to make it to the finals. Last two years have been backed by stellar goaltending but Bryz can play to a MAF, Howard, or Niemi level, and those guys pulled it off. I think if the Flyers add one more top 4 D it really does just become about chemistry at that point. Again, this all assumes Carle stays. He leaves and we're way worse off.

I am surprised to see you defending carle here. I cant wait for him to be out and someone else's problem.

Here's the problem with that line of thought as I see it: Carle has problems, sure. The issue is there just aren't realistically many BETTER options throughout the league. It's a grass always greener scenario. TRUE top 4 d-men, who a coach will trust to play over 20min just aren't as common as people make it seem. Carle isn't a shutdown guy, but he IS a pretty good puck mover who is competent enough to play a good number of competitive minutes.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Canucks fans: if you had the choice... Would you do a 1:1 trade... Komisarek for Ballard?

Ballard 4.2 mil/ 3 years remaining 112 GMs 14 points 107 PIMs (last 2 seasons)
Komisarek 4.5 mil / 2 years remaining 110 GMs 15 points 127 PIMs (last 2 seasons)

I agree on the defense, but I genuinely believe Bryz can put up an adequate enough run to make it to the finals. Last two years have been backed by stellar goaltending but Bryz can play to a MAF, Howard, or Niemi level, and those guys pulled it off. I think if the Flyers add one more top 4 D it really does just become about chemistry at that point. Again, this all assumes Carle stays. He leaves and we're way worse off.

Fleury - Played behind of better defense in 2009. Pens haven't been out of the 2nd round since.

Howard - never played past the second round, Detroit D > Flyers D

Niemi - played in front of stellar defense on the hawks that year.

You want Bryz to let it less goals you'd better upgrade your defense. Either that or have the team play a defense-first system.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Canucks fans: if you had the choice... Would you do a 1:1 trade... Komisarek for Ballard?

Komisarek 4.5 mil / 2 years remaining 110 GMs 15 points 127 PIMs (last 2 seasons)

GP for those seasons per player?

Gut says no.

As a straight up hockey trade? No.

Ballard isn't nearly as useless as Komisarek and can probably regain his top 4 form if given the opportunity. His biggest problem right now is that the Canucks 3rd pairing isn't allowed to play the sort of game he's used to playing, and so he's unable to flash that offensive upside he has. The fact that he's can't play the right side either, means he's stuck behind Hamhuis and Edler on the depth chart.

If it was Ballard for Komisarek, Toronto would win out handidly, because I legitimately think he can regain form if you guys put him in a left handed top four position.

That said, I'd take the trade, because I wouldn't feel bad at all burying Komisarek in the minors, and it'd free us up a lot of cap space.

Tabris

One thing to note about Garrison is that before he entered the NHL, he had the same kind of stats and interest as Schultz coming out of the US college system.

EDIT - Honestly, Ballard would be a good fit in Edmonton as he would be able to play top 4. Hemsky for Ballard?

Top Bottom