• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Heretic

Stage 1. Denial

Soon Heretic, we will move you to Stage 2. Confusion.
What the fuck are you talking about!? Where am I!?

Bobby isn't going anywhere.

Honestly, I REALLY like Bobby but if we can get something that will better the team, then go for it. I'm going to be pissed but business is business. The main reason why I don't want Bobby to move is cause he's my nephew's favorite player and it will break his heart.

pringles

The defense sucked even with Lidstrom and Stuart. I don't think that's being too harsh.
Defense was fine last year. Best in the league offensively, something like top 10 defensively. Easily the best defensive effort we've seen since 07-08. And that was with Stuart sleepwalking all season (and being the worst player on the ice in 5 straight playoff games).

Without Lids it's possible that it will fall apart though.

Alucard

Banned
He could be a Penguin too?

P.S. I got those tweets from a Semin thread on Hockey Futures board.

Josh Yohe from The Trib wrote that? Interesting. Guy was one of the first to break the Parise and Suter to Minny news.

I'd take Semin for 5 years. Why not? Guy is young, fast, and has a wicked shot. Plus, without OV hogging the puck, Sid could dish him assists all day every day. Pens could even put him with Malkin, moving Neal up with Crosby.

cube444

Josh Yohe from The Trib wrote that? Interesting. Guy was one of the first to break the Parise and Suter to Minny news.

I'd take Semin for 5 years. Why not? Guy is young, fast, and has a wicked shot. Plus, without OV hogging the puck, Sid could dish him assists all day every day. Pens could even put him with Malkin, moving Neal up with Crosby.

Pens fans are now considering Semin? Desperate times I suppose.

Cake Boss

Banned
Pure speculation. I'm in the hunt for Bobby Ryan too. I should write an article about it.

Denial.png

I could give you that its pure speculation that OTT is in the Ryan sweeptakes, but even Dreger said today that he for sure expects a trade this summer for Ryan, the bridge has been burned between the two, its mostly Murray's fault for keep putting him on the block.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Defense was fine last year. Best in the league offensively, something like top 10 defensively. Easily the best defensive effort we've seen since 07-08. And that was with Stuart sleepwalking all season (and being the worst player on the ice in 5 straight playoff games).

Without Lids it's possible that it will fall apart though.

I'm not sure what you were watching, but during the 2nd half of the season the defense absolutely fell apart (It was good for the first half). Guys were constantly caught out of position, even Lidstrom was getting caught behind the red line. Stuart was getting walked around constantly. White made bonehead plays at the line causing many odd-man rushes the other way. They were terrible.

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
Detroit had the 7th best goals allowed last year (2.44), that actually surprises me. They had 181 pts from their D (9 players).

Ottawa had 206 pts from 8 players.

Vancouver had 192 pts from 9 players.

Terry Koshan ‏
@koshtorontosun
15 NHLers select salary arbitration: Nick Bonino, Jamie McGinn, Richard Bachman, Mark Fistric, Kyle Quincey, Sam Gagner, Kris Versteeg

Terry Koshan ‏
@koshtorontosun
Raphael Diaz , S. Kostitsyn, Mark Fayne, Anton Stralman, Kaspars Daugavins, TJ Oshie, David Perron (signed), TJ Galiardi, Dale Weise
Steeger :(

pringles

I don't have the stat in front of me but it was 1.Ottawa, 2. Vancouver, 3...some team for highest scoring D.
Sorry, on my phone so couldn't look up the actual stats. I know they were 1st for much of the season, guess they dropped a bit towards the end when Lidstrom was injured and the team as a whole started playing bad.
Or it could have been goals from d-men they were 1st in?

cube444

Oh no, Sef!:

CBC's Elliotte Friedman reported on Thursday that Shea Weber won't go to arbitration; the Predators can't take him there for a second consecutive season. So the restricted free agent either gets a new deal from Nashville or an offer sheet from another team.

And from Pierre LeBrun of ESPN:
"He's still in disbelief," Kevin Epp, one of Weber's agents at Titan Sports Management, told ESPN.com Thursday. "They were so close this year in terms of the team's chances. They really had a shot. Shea believed there was a good chance that Ryan would stay there. So right now, Shea is still processing this news."

Link

"Parise gives Ryan Suter credit for coming up with the idea of them both signing with the #MnWild: "I thought it was a great idea.""

poor crazedarabman

RgW5j.gif

Oh no, Sef!:

Link

Hey Sef, I heard we need defensemen....

So anyways I have been thinking and by thinking I mean punching people in the face in anger, and I realized that we actually have a little bit better offense (or at least much deeper offense) than last year. Yeah we lost Hudler but we did get Brunner, Nyquist will play full time, and Sammy can put up Hudler points and Tootoo gives us much more grit and is a pain to play against for our 4th line. Our goaltending tandem also improved greatly. The only problem is that this is all offset by our D losing two key members. However I think Smith will prove to be a good addition however I still feel we need to get a big stay at home defender in a trade. Doesn't need to be a great D-man, just someone who is hard to play against. Maybe I'm being too positive after yesterday, but we actually may not be as bad as what people are thinking.

pringles

So anyways I have been thinking and by thinking I mean punching people in the face in anger, and I realized that we actually have a little bit better offense (or at least much deeper offense) than last year. Yeah we lost Hudler but we did get Brunner, Nyquist will play full time, and Sammy can put up Hudler points and Tootoo gives us much more grit and is a pain to play against for our 4th line. Our goaltending tandem also improved greatly. The only problem is that this is all offset by our D losing two key members. However I think Smith will prove to be a good addition however I still feel we need to get a big stay at home defender in a trade. Doesn't need to be a great D-man, just someone who is hard to play against. Maybe I'm being too positive after yesterday, but we actually may not be as bad as what people are thinking.
Hey, good to see someone else that isn't suicidal.

Biggest positive is that the offseason isn't over.. we could sign Semin/Doan, and/or trade for Yandle/Nash/Ryan/Enstrom/etc. Holland has to do something with all that cap space.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
RgW5j.gif

Hey Sef, I heard we need defensemen....

So let me get this straight--Nyquist, who got one goal in all of the games he played up on the first line, Brunner the unknown, an again Samuelsson, and a 4th-line player makes us better on offense? REALLY?

We lost one of the most productive offensive defensemen in the game and a 25-goal scorer. We're much, much worse on offense.

I am excited about the new assistant coach, though, who is already talking about how he needs to fix the awful power play.

Plinko

Hey, good to see someone else that isn't suicidal.

Biggest positive is that the offseason isn't over.. we could sign Semin/Doan, and/or trade for Yandle/Nash/Ryan/Enstrom/etc. Holland has to do something with all that cap space.

No, he doesn't--especially when the owner gave Prince Fielder an ENORMOUS contract in another league.

I still do expect them to sign Semin, though. I really hope they don't trade for Nash. Rumor was they offered Franzen, Filppula, and Nyquist. That would have been a terrible trade for Detroit.

Heretic

@ForzafromGAF said:
@ManicsFromGAF Hey Manics. Any possibility that the Leafs are in on Bobby Ryan?

@ManicsFromGAF said:
@FORZAfromGAF actually could happen. Read into Carlyle’s comments about trying JVR at center. Ryan fills another wing position.

Bobby to the Leafs: CONFIRMED

pringles

No, he doesn't--especially when the owner gave Prince Fielder an ENORMOUS contract in another league.

I still do expect them to sign Semin, though. I really hope they don't trade for Nash. Rumor was they offered Franzen, Filppula, and Nyquist. That would have been a terrible trade for Detroit.
If Holland got the green light on offering those crazy deals to Suter and Parise I don't think money is too tight for Ilitch.

And wow, if that rumor is true and they didn't take it, yeah we should stay far away from Nash.

If Holland got the green light on offering those crazy deals to Suter and Parise I don't think money is too tight for Ilitch.

And wow, if that rumor is true and they didn't take it, yeah we should stay far away from Nash.

If there's one team that would have to legitimately overpay for Nash it'd be Detroit, being in the same division and all. It would be tough.

SpacLock

It would take me a long time to get over that if it happened. I might honestly cry a little.

Top Bottom