• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Tugnutt suggests that a tandem of GM Pierre Gauthier and coach Jacques Martin -- both fired by the Montreal Canadiens last season -- might be the right tonic to turn around the Blue Jackets organization, considering they've had success with a back-to-basics approach in the past, allowing young players to mature.
:lol yes, they've clearing shown they know how to put a franchise back on track.

What about trading assets you trade for Nash for, I don't know, a defenseman?

I would love to see them do that but not a lot of teams are willing to trade away a top defense man. If Weber is available they should trade whatever it takes except for G. I dont want Nash just to be clear, I would much rather have Ryan, but I wont be upset if they get Nash. He could do much better in a better situation.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
According to a Montreal Radio guy, Devils have called Habs about getting Gionta back...

If this saga were Rambo 2, we'd be at the part where the hot asian chick just got shot and shit's about to go down.

During CBA negotiations. Won't happen next season but it'll be the season after that.
That's what I figured... do you think they'll be aligned to something that was proposed last season with the four divisions?

Marvie_3

Banned
Basically, although they will need to be modified further to accomodate Quebec or any more expansion to get to 32 teams.

Not really. The way the plan was set up gave them an easy option to move Phoenix to QC and have 15 teams in the west and 15 in the east.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
kronwall-white
smith-quincey
ericsson-kindl

9jCZ4.gif

Don't mind me--I'll just be vomiting over here.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
So we won?

Edit: Tom Renney signs as assitant coach with DET for 3 years lol

I have absolutely no problem with this deal.

At least this guy has NHL experience, which wasn't the case with the guys behind the bench last year.

Marvie_3

Banned
Lisa Halverstadt ‏@LisaHalverstadt
Connie Wilhelm of @HBACA_AZ says the group plans to turn the signatures in this afternoon. #Glendale

#Glendale projects tax hike will bring in $23M. RT @resound How does the sales tax initiative affect #Coyotes and Jamison?

.@resound Without that money, interim City Manager Horatio Skeete says #Glendale may need to assess if it can afford arena management fee.
:D

I wish they would say how many signatures for the Coyotes deal referendum they have. If 2 guys can get 700 then the other volunteers should easily get a ton more.

Plinko

Renney is a great mentor for young players. I'd expect to see more infused into the Wings lineup.

Yep--I'm actually pretty excited about this and perhaps that's why he's been given the job.

Marvie_3

Banned
I'm hoping to live off of $1 for 1 month XBL but I don't know how frequent those deals are

Or are you talking about getting matching tattoos...? Because I'm totally down for that
To be on the team you have to get this tattoo.

Millhouse-hockey-tattoo.jpg

You also need to email Brent Burns the name of your favorite Skylander. If it's one he likes, you're in.

With the current CBA expiring this September, it's possible that many of the things that come with it - most importantly the current number of "years accrued" before a player hits unrestricted free-agency (7), or the ability teams have to offer players "life-time contracts" - could come to an end. Quietly, that uncertainty is Nashville's best bargaining chip.

Shea Weber could be leaving millions, and I don't mean several millions, I mean upwards of fifty million dollars (US) on the table should he go past September 15th without a long-term deal in place.

Consider the possibilities. Say Shea Weber signed a long-term deal this season, let's go with 13 years at an average cap-hit of 9 million (not a stretch), that would be worth 117 million dollars over the duration of the deal. If term is capped at six years in the new CBA (which, many expect it will be) and Weber signs a deal worth 11 million per season - he's just lost 51 million dollars! That's a fair bit of coin.

If Shea Weber tries to force his way out of Nashville this summer, Poile's best play is to refuse to budge. After all, that refusal could well prove to be a disaster for Shea Weber's bank account. Every day between now and September 15th that Shea Weber doesn't ink a long-term deal, he incurs a sizable opportunity cost and that fact strengthens Poile's footing.

http://canucksarmy.com/2012/7/5/nashville-loses-suter-for-nothing-whither-shea-weber

Cake Boss

Banned
Aaron Portzline @Aportzline #CBJ trade talks regarding Rick Nash are in a holding pattern -- but don't hold your breath. Told nothing is close.

But I was told teams were willing to give up the farm for Nash after Parise signed.

Sabres sign another guy I never heard of:

The center-thin Sabres have added a middle man to the organization, signing former Hobey Baker winner Kevin Porter, according to a Tweet by his agent.

Porter won college hockey's top prize in 2008 after recording 33 goals and 63 points in 43 games with Michigan.

The 26-year-old has yet to duplicate that success in the NHL. He played 35 games for Colorado last season, recording four goals and seven points. He had 14 goals and 25 points in 74 games with the Avalanche in 2010-11.

The 6-foot, 190-pounder was a fourth-round pick by Phoenix in 2004.

ZeroGravity

That's stupid. It's not like he has to retire whenever his next contract is up. In 6 years he signs another contract and keeps getting paid. Did Tabris write that?
While that's true, if you were in that position, would you prefer 13 years of guaranteed salary or six? All it could take is one serious injury between now and six years from now that could cost Weber that big next contract. That's what it's pretty much getting at.

Alucard

Banned
So, any word on which teams have been talking to Semin's and Doan's people? Wouldn't mind an experiment with either one in Pittsburgh this season.

Plinko

So, any word on which teams have been talking to Semin's and Doan's people? Wouldn't mind an experiment with either one in Pittsburgh this season.

Detroit Free Press reported that Doan's agent called Detroit several times so they could make him an offer. No word on if they ever did, but I'd be shocked if they didn't. Would be a good pickup for the team, and would fit right into the 35-and-over club.

Top Bottom