• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
If I was part of the group in Quebec that was trying to get a team I would be really pissed if the NHL contracted the Coyotes and gave me an expansion team for an extra $40m.

Agreed. Pretty shady.

Agreed. Pretty shady.

It sounds like contraction has some serious legal gotcha's, though, making relocation more appealing.

I'd say the most interesting evidence brought forward in that article is not the idea of contraction, but the money value for the NHL to relocate the team; expansion for +$40m is nice but what will make them do something is the idea of losing 40m if they have to run the Coyotes again this (theoretical) season. It was all fun and games when the city was giving them back money, but now?

Let's start mocking up new Nordiques jerseys.

This has to be the jersey. It sucked that the Jets didnt use the classic jersey, but the Nords have to.

nordiques%20jersey_t.jpg

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I actually like the updated Jets jerseys more, but you can't improve on the Quebec jersey. You just can't. It's a classic.

I thought that Lindros was just a spoiled brat who let his mommy run his life. I doubt there are many other players like him, so I dont see that being a problem.

Marvie_3

Banned
If I was part of the group in Quebec that was trying to get a team I would be really pissed if the NHL contracted the Coyotes and gave me an expansion team for an extra $40m.
Same here. Instead of a decent team, you have to pay an extra $40M and get stuck using players other teams dont want for a few years.

Agreed. Pretty shady.
Par for the course for the NHL.

I like the white jersey you posted, and the one that says Quebec would be a great 3rd, but the blue with the red logo has to come back.

This. I saw some other mockups awhile back that were pretty awesome. I'll see if I can find them.

Marvie_3

Banned
Fewer signatures may be needed to get Coyotes deal on ballot
One of the organizers of a proposed ballot measure asking Glendale voters to void a city deal with the Phoenix Coyotes says he may need fewer petition signatures than originally thought to get on the ballot.

“We’re still collecting, but we’re looking a lot better now that we have more (and) new information about the deadlines and the minimum number of signatures,” said Joe Cobb.

Cobb and Ken Jones are collecting signatures to get a referendum asking Glendale voters to void the city council June 8 approval of a $300 million arena-management deal and lease with prospective Coyotes buyer Greg Jamison.

The deal is essential to Jamison putting together a purchase of the Coyotes from the National Hockey League that will keep the team in the Phoenix market. Otherwise, the team could move to Quebec City, Canada, or Seattle.

The city of Glendale has said organizers need to get a little more than 1,800 signatures to get on the ballot. That number comes from a city rule stating a referendum can be placed on the ballot if organizers collect signatures from 10 percent of the last election.

The city has said there were more than 18,000 voters in the last general election and thus the Coyotes referendum needs 1,800 signatures.

But Cobb said those leading a referendum against a city sales tax hike told him today of a lower threshold.

“Today the anti-sales tax initiative turned in their 4,138 signatures, and Connie Wilhelm phoned me, excitedly, with the information that the 2010 election participation number (11,309 voters) was the controlling basis,” Cobb said. “Our minimum number is only 1,131 signatures. We have that number.”

Wilhelm is president of the Home Builders Association of Central Arizona and is helping car dealers and other businesses fight a city sales tax increase to help deal with budget shortfalls.

The referendum effort could end up in the courts with the Glendale fighting organizers over the number of signatures needed to get on the ballot and when those petitions are due.

City rules say a referendum needs to have its signatures filed 30 days after a council approval. Glendale approved the measure June 8, but there have some legal wrangling over emergency-clause language, so the action may not have been officially approved until June 12 or 15.

Cobb said he has until July 15 to get the petition signatures.

That could put the city and the Goldwater Institute, which represents Cobb and Jones, back in the courtroom.

City officials will be reviewing the petitions, referendum language and signatures once they are turned in.

Getting the measure on the November ballot may be enough to chill investors and equity partners who are part of Jamison’s bid and lead the Coyotes toward a move out of Arizona.

Conversely, if the measure fails to make the ballot, that could clear the way for Jamison to buy the Coyotes.

Sources in Arizona say Jamison has the money to buy the team but is waiting on political and legal fights over the arena deal to be resolved.
I still don't believe he has the money.

joedick

NHL won't straight up move the Coyotes as long as they are the owners - wouldn't breaking the lease come with some stiff penalties?

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
NHL won't straight up move the Coyotes as long as they are the owners - wouldn't breaking the lease come with some stiff penalties?

Nah they are on a temporary AMULA going year to year from bankruptcy court

NHL has not agreed to extend the lease a year yet, only extended the period which they can agree by 30 days

Moyes kept the original lease

That's why coyotes are the likeliest of all teams to move

No owner (yet)
No lease (dependent on owner)
and the lease that has been agreed between the NHL and Glendale may not go forward as their citizens are challenging both the lease itself and the taxes required to pay for the lease

Plinko

First two need to lose the wording.

There were a bunch more but I can't find them at the moment.

Those are amazing except, as you also said, the top two with the wording.

The Coyotes situation is a mess. I can't possibly imagine Jamison has the money, unless they're talking about "has the money" in the sense that the league has already agreed to loan him half the cash.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
Those are amazing except, as you also said, the top two with the wording.

The Coyotes situation is a mess. I can't possibly imagine Jamison has the money, unless they're talking about "has the money" in the sense that the league has already agreed to loan him half the cash.

not only needs half the money to buy the team but half the money to operate the team!

bettman must be blackmailing the NHL BOG, because there's no fuckin way anyone thinks it's a good idea in any possible way - especially when the team has never been in the black

we just distinguish how the coyotes are doing by different shades of red

bettman must be blackmailing the NHL BOG, because there's no fuckin way anyone thinks it's a good idea in any possible way - especially when the team has never been in the black

I think the BOG must be really sick and tired of this by now. Bettman got some leeway at first but I imagine they're telling him just move the team to QC already.

I still think this is just as show so the NHL can say they literally tried everything they could to keep them in AZ.

Marvie_3

Banned
not only needs half the money to buy the team but half the money to operate the team!
Operating money is something people forget. Maybe he comes up with the money to buy the team but how is he going to deal with tens of millions of dollars worth of losses every year? Phoenix gets revenue sharing right now but only because the league owns the team and opted to give them a share. I don't see that happening if the league doesn't own the team.

we just distinguish how the coyotes are doing by different shades of red
Exactly. I've heard people say that they're still there because it keeps revenue down for the league and keeps the salary cap from going up as fast. Realistically, losses of $40M against $3B in revenue has a minimal effect at best.

The only reason that team is still there is because the arena Glendale built for them is less than a decade old. Doesn't look good when other teams want new arenas and their governments can point at the Coyotes and see them leaving town less than a decade after the arena was built.

Exactly. I've heard people say that they're still there because it keeps revenue down for the league and keeps the salary cap from going up as fast. Realistically, losses of $40M against $3B in revenue has a minimal effect at best.

The only reason that team is still there is because the arena Glendale built for them is less than a decade old. Doesn't look good when other teams want new arenas and their governments can point at the Coyotes and see them leaving town less than a decade after the arena was built.

I heard on the radio yesterday that Bettman(coming from the NBA) wanted teams in all the major TV markets and hopefully score a national TV contract somewhere down the road. Of course that'll never happen as NHL will never beat the NFL and college sports in most of the US markets.
So he may be softening on trying to expand the league in markets where it has no business being.

Marvie_3

Banned
I heard on the radio yesterday that Bettman(coming from the NBA) wanted teams in all the major TV markets and hopefully score a national TV contract somewhere down the road. Of course that'll never happen as NHL will never beat the NFL and college sports in most of the US markets.
So he may be softening on trying to expand the league in markets where it has no business being.

They just got a 10-year, 2 billion dollar deal last year. Nobody watches hockey on TV in Phoenix anyway so it doesn't have any effect of ratings.

Cake Boss

Banned
foligno signs with columbus 3 years/ $3 million per

LOL I feel better now, thats probably why they traded him.

3M for 11 goals on a goalie and goalie interference penalties. But he was an awesome pest. Going to miss him though.

One by one Murray is getting rid of the John Muckler draftees, last year Brian Lee, Foligno, and now possibly Daugavins.

Plinko

I have to believe Holland is waiting to see if he can get Howson's demand for Nash down before going after Semin.

LOL I feel better now, thats probably why they traded him.

If we're going to pay $3M, it should be for a top-4 D-man(which are more valuable and harder to find) than a 3rd line(borderline 2nd line) winger which we have several of.

I have to believe Holland is waiting to see if he can get Howson's demand for Nash down before going after Semin.

Many GMs have tried to get Howson to lower his demands for months, no success yet.

calder

Those Nordiques mockups are pretty slick. It would be a damn shame if QC got a new team but it was named anything else, and they are lucky to have a logo and colour scheme that works well today. Man that'd be cool, I get shivers thinking about how amazing the first Habs/Nords game would be.

Plinko

Again, not saying he will get the demand down--just waiting to see if he could. I don't see it happening, either.

Alucard

Banned
Pens in on the Bobby Ryan trade sweepstakes, along with 5-6 other teams. Practically close to zero chance the Pens get Ryan, but it's nice to dream. Pens' offer would probably look like this...

Paul Martin/Tyler Kennedy
Simon Despres/Joe Morrow (defense prospects)
1st round pick

Ducks will probably get better offers than that.

Pens in on the Bobby Ryan trade sweepstakes, along with 5-6 other teams. Practically close to zero chance the Pens get Ryan, but it's nice to dream. Pens' offer would probably look like this...

1st round pick

Yikes at that offer

Plinko

Just found out that Red Wings' prospect camp begins Friday and runs for a week in Traverse City.

Naturally, I just returned home from our Traverse City vacation yesterday :(

Acid08

Banned
Just found out that Red Wings' prospect camp begins Friday and runs for a week in Traverse City.

Naturally, I just returned home from our Traverse City vacation yesterday :(
Is the Wings prospect camp open to the public? Ours isn't this year, disappointed :(

Solo

1st round pick

Ducks shart themselves laughing at this offer.

Heretic

Bobby isn't going anywhere. If he wanted out, it would have officially been out that he requested to be traded. As it stands right now, there's only that comment to the reporter that he had during his little fit. Murray would have shipped him off already.

As it has been said multiple times, he's not being shopped. Murray may be listening to offers but unless a killer deal comes up or Bobby asks to be traded, he's not going anywhere.

That Pens predicted offer is laugh out loud funny. Give us Malkin or GTFO.

Buffalo Sabres General Manager Darcy Regier today announced the team has signed forwards Kevin Porter and Mark Mancari and resigned goaltender David Leggio. All three contracts are for one year.

Mancari (6’3”, 225 lbs., 7/5/1986) returns to the Sabres after a one-year stint with the Vancouver Cancks in 2011-12. During his season in Vancouver, Mancari played in six games with the Canucks and 69 games with their AHL club, the Chicago Wolves. Through his 69 games with the Wolves, Mancari tallied 58 points (30+28) and 40 PIM.

lol, Mancari. Guess Rochester needs scoring, cause he sure never did shit in the NHL last time he was a Sabre.

Plinko

saraorlesky: Donald Fehr&remaining players have left.Were there approx 4hrs. Fehr says that they have started discussing real issues.Talks resume next wk

Good news.

Revenant

Bobby isn't going anywhere. If he wanted out, it would have officially been out that he requested to be traded. As it stands right now, there's only that comment to the reporter that he had during his little fit. Murray would have shipped him off already.

As it has been said multiple times, he's not being shopped. Murray may be listening to offers but unless a killer deal comes up or Bobby asks to be traded, he's not going anywhere.

That Pens predicted offer is laugh out loud funny. Give us Malkin or GTFO.

Heretic said defiantly, trying to choke back the tears.

;)

Top Bottom