• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL 2011-2012 Offseason thread of Cash Rules Everything Around Me

Oh it would be a huge windfall for the teams making a profit that is why I said that they have to have increased revenue sharing to go along with it. You keep saying that the PA cant negotiate with the individual teams but that is true of any CBA. No sports league could survive if they did that. Hell even baseball, which has the most player friendly system, still has rules for the luxury tax and revenue sharing. I dont get the point of bringing up that they players cant negotiate with the teams separately.

Oh it would be a huge windfall for the teams making a profit that is why I said that they have to have increased revenue sharing to go along with it. You keep saying that the PA cant negotiate with the individual teams but that is true of any CBA. No sports league could survive if they did that. Hell even baseball, which has the most player friendly system, still has rules for the luxury tax and revenue sharing. I dont get the point of bringing up that they players cant negotiate with the teams separately.

Because think from their perspective, "You're telling me your profits hugely increased, but I need to take a smaller cut? Sounds like you're just shitty at managing your league." Then they can just point to exhibit A Phoenix. Why the fuck should the players agree to pay for Bettman's vanity project?

Because think from their perspective, "You're telling me your profits hugely increased, but I need to take a smaller cut? Sounds like you're just shitty at managing your league." Then they can just point to exhibit A Phoenix. Why the fuck should the players agree to pay for Bettman's vanity project?

I agree that it would suck to have to give money back. I would even agree with th players if the Yotes were the only team losing money but there are a lot of teams losing money. The players are not being asked to take less just so stupid ass Bettman can keep that team there. They have to look at the long term sustainability of the league. If like close to half the teams are losing money now that is not sustainable. You might be right that everyone of those owners is stupid and cant run their teams well, but they are not going to replace that many owners or move that many teams. They have to find a way to make things work with the owners they have. I just want their to be hockey this year but I understand the owners have to think about the long term health.

I agree that it would suck to have to give money back. I would even agree with th players if the Yotes were the only team losing money but there are a lot of teams losing money. The players are not being asked to take less just so stupid ass Bettman can keep that team there. They have to look at the long term sustainability of the league. If like close to half the teams are losing money now that is not sustainable. You might be right that everyone of those owners is stupid and cant run their teams well, but they are not going to replace that many owners or move that many teams. They have to find a way to make things work with the owners they have. I just want their to be hockey this year but I understand the owners have to think about the long term health.

Most teams aren't losing money like the Yotes. They could reasonably be fine with cuts like the PA has proposed and rev sharing like they proposed. Also a lot of that loss is cyclical. These teams aren't entitled to huge profits every year. They need to be forced to compete rather than just demand lower labor costs.

And again, the PA RECOGNIZES all this. They're the ones offering cuts AND adding rev sharing, but to use my analogy from before the owners are the equivalent of republicans right now just saying no and not offering anything other than straight cuts.

Merguson

Banned
I think I read somewhere where 1/3 of all NHL "losses" come from the Phoenix Coyotes and the Columbus Blue Jackets.

Can't remember where and not sure how accurate that is.

Montresor

Seguin is a better player. I would take him on my team over Kessel 10 times out of 10.

The gap between both players isn't so big. Seguin has the advantage of still having a lot of upside and playing at a more valuable position (centre). But Kessel is currently a better player than Seguin. That's indisputable.

Sanjuro

Seguin is a better player. I would take him on my team over Kessel 10 times out of 10.

I'm not going to lie, Seguin is more enjoyable to watch. I would take him maybe six/seven out of ten times. His upside is certainly greater, but they're both solid players.

Quick

Banned

Give it a couple of seasons, then I'll listen to that argument. They're both good players, though.

Stats-wise, Kessel is way better. Kessel's defensive game needs work, to say the least, but he's been consistent last season with scoring, even when Lupul went down with his injury, but he was still able to eclipse his overall totals last season.

Seguin's only been in the league for two seasons, so his first season clearly won't be indicative of his future in the league, his second year was way better, but still not as good as Kessel's 2011-12 season. The only thing Seguin's done better in is playoff statistics, for obvious reasons. (am cry)

Merguson

Banned
Give it a couple of seasons, then I'll listen to that argument. They're both good players, though.

Stats-wise, Kessel is way better. Kessel's defensive game needs work, to say the least, but he's been consistent last season with scoring, even when Lupul went down with his injury, but he was still able to eclipse his overall totals last season.

Seguin's only been in the league for two seasons, so his first season clearly won't be indicative of his future in the league, his second year was way better, but still not as good as Kessel's 2011-12 season. The only thing Seguin's done better in is playoff statistics, for obvious reasons. (am cry)

Kessel has 15 points in 15 playoff games.

Seguin has 10 in 20.

JUST SAYING.

Sanjuro

Seguin has been better in a shorter period of time than Kessel has. He has also shown a bit of spunk when it comes to physical contact, something Kessel never had.

Sanjuro

I'm gonna give one giant "meh" to seguin's physical play. Differentiating between the two is rather pointless in that regard.

I don't think you've watched enough of either then. I'm not even remotely suggesting either one is a dominant physical player. However, there is a clear difference between the two in how they handle and react to aggression on the ice.

Quick

Banned

iZogxO8cA0Qit.gif

MacAttack

Seguin makes more than kessel?

Lawl
Seguin's extension doesn't begin until after his current contract expires, next year. In the only season both players will be playing under those contracts the difference will be 350k.

Comparing Phil's expiring contract that was signed 4 year's ago to one that extends for another 6 seasons is the only lawl-worthy part of this apples to oranges scenario.

edit: No word on any signing bonus for Seguin, but Kessel had a 9 mil signing bonus on his contract which makes his 4 year old deal more valuable per season than what what Seguin just signed for.

Socreges

Banned
Seguin is 20 years old and has averaged about 14 minutes of ice time in his career.

Kessel is 24 years old and has averaged about 18 minutes of ice time in his career.

Comparing their stats right now is kinda stupid.

And comparing their salaries is flat-out retarded. (Kessel signed 3 years ago)

Sanjuro

Seguin is 20 years old and has averaged about 14 minutes of ice time in his career.

Kessel is 24 years old and has averaged about 18 minutes of ice time in his career.

Comparing their stats right now is kinda stupid.

And comparing their salaries is flat-out retarded. (Kessel signed 3 years ago)

For the most part, this.

I don't think you've watched enough of either then. I'm not even remotely suggesting either one is a dominant physical player. However, there is a clear difference between the two in how they handle and react to aggression on the ice.

I'll agree in that regard I guess, but I don't think Seguin's response is really "betterm" I don't think Kessel disappears at the sign of physical play or anything and since neither really derives much of an advantage from it I wouldn't say Seguin is necessarily favorable for how he reacts to physicality. They're different, sure, but I'm less sure that makes Seguin better.

Sanjuro

I'll agree in that regard I guess, but I don't think Seguin's response is really "betterm" I don't think Kessel disappears at the sign of physical play or anything and since neither really derives much of an advantage from it I wouldn't say Seguin is necessarily favorable for how he reacts to physicality. They're different, sure, but I'm less sure that makes Seguin better.

If a physical player is going to hit you, he is going to hit you regardless. Becomes an issue on how you react and adjust to the pressure. It was just very frustrating to watch Kessel. Large part of the reason he was dealt from Boston.

Where have I failed you?

Haven't. The only trend the statistics show is Seguin is advancing at a faster pace. If we're talking about today, then it's a closer case. I'm pleased with the results anyway.

Socreges

Banned
Haven't. The only trend the statistics show is Seguin is advancing at a faster pace. If we're talking about today, then it's a closer case. I'm pleased with the results anyway.
"Pace" is meaningless, I think. Players develop in very different ways. I'm pretty sure Kessel is still going through puberty.

Sanjuro

"Pace" is meaningless, I think. Players develop in very different ways. I'm pretty sure Kessel is still going through puberty.

Depends on the team. In the Bruins case, going into 2010 we still had a great core. So getting the draft picks were well worth it. Made the Savard injury more of an impact though.

ShaneB

TSN has it right. No hope for NHL, so dig up the tapes and show old stuff. I'm actually looking forward to watching the 87 Canada Cup finals again.

I'm going to watch this.

51lVOW%2BCe9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Hockey: A People's History. Perhaps I'll have to watch it as initially intended, one episode a week for 10 weeks so when it's over perhaps there will be hockey.

Socreges

Banned
CakeBoss said:
BWAHAHHAHGAH Futureshop people are some of the dumbest around. Wow I just traded a copy of NHL 12 and MW3 that are both cracked in the middle and need to have the game installed in order to work for a collector edition of NHL 13. He didnt even checked what games I had and if they even worked, I should have brought my crappy old PS3 games to trade in. So I got rid of 2 scratched/broken games for a CE edition.
lol cakeboss

Cake Boss

Banned
Lol they are already called to bring 2 other games and get those back, whatever I was going to give them ME3 and BF3 anyways. Still a great deal.

I dont know why I gave them the right phone number lol.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Lol they are already called to bring 2 other games and get those back, whatever I was going to give them ME3 and BF3 anyways. Still a great deal.

I dont know why I gave them the right phone number lol.
... Idiot LOL.

Top Bottom