• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Philly is such a good team to throw out troll tweets because you can believe Holmgren will do just about anything.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Kassian got sent down for excessive Roxy Time**, he'll be back once they figured he's learned his lesson.

Also known as "Shane O'Brien" disease

HkKQ84G.jpg

Red_Man

Dredger said:
Los Angeles trades Drewiske to Habs for Montreal's own 5th round pick in the 2013 Draft.#tradecentre
FUCK YEA! BERGEVIN!

Who is this guy

Plug defensemen until Diaz is back I guess.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Detroit News says Holland wants a top 6 forward and doesn't want a rental. Hmmm.

Get rid of Filppula. Please. Nyquist can easily take his place.

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
remember that pastor fellow who was going to buy the coyotes?

Pastor said he hoped to meet with Coyotes executives and tour Jobing.com Arena today. However, that meeting never materialized.

Team President Mike Nealy referred Pastor to NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly, Coyotes spokesman Rich Nairn said. “There are no plans to meet with him at this time,” Nairn said.

Daly did not respond to messages left by the Republic.

Glendale Mayor Jerry Weiers said late Monday that he had never spoken to Pastor and that he was unaware that Pastor had hoped to speak with him. “I don’t know who Darin Pastor is,” he said.

Alucard

Banned
Can't believe the Bruins got Jagr. That was weird and unexpected. The East is going to be pretty interesting come playoff time.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Definitely don't expect Jensen to be playing on the 3rd line if they don't absolutely need him there.

Schroeder just got sent down too. Perfect would be if we got Clowe and could slot him on the 2nd/3rd line Wing (depending on where Hansen ends up), then have Kassian play on the 4th too, if he plays badly. We'd have some actual depth there.

Sedin-Sedin-Burrows
Raymond-Kesler-Hansen (or Higgins-Kesler-Clowe)
Higgins-Roy-Clowe (or Raymond-Roy-Hansen)
Weise-Lapierre-Kassian
Pinnizotto

That would look really nice.

DopeyFish

Can't believe the Bruins got Jagr. That was weird and unexpected. The East is going to be pretty interesting come playoff time.

not really

northeast will just steamroll everyone and then tire themselves out letting the west conf champion win

Alucard

Banned
not really

northeast will just steamroll everyone and then tire themselves out letting the west conf champion win

I almost never buy the "teams get tired" line in the playoffs. These guys have lung capacities and stamina that we can't even comprehend.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Habs can afford giving up a 5th rounder. I believe they have 6 picks in the first 3 rounds this year which is sweet.

Red_Man

Actually nevermind, didnt get his name on the cup not enough games.

Edit: They put his name on the cup anyway.
I'm sure he's a great character guy in the locker room, Lord Stanley here we come.
not really

Pretty much, ECF will be a blood bath, whoever comes out of that will be gutted.

DopeyFish

I almost never buy the "teams get tired" line in the playoffs. These guys have lung capacities and stamina that we can't even comprehend.

By tire themselves I mean injure each other

I remember a few playoff series where the leafs were essentially icing 70% of their marlies roster for a whole playoff round

CCF23

I wholeheartedly believe the Canucks would've stood a better chance at winning the SCF if they didn't play a bunch of unnecessary games against Chicago, Nashville, and SJ.

You have to finish your series off when you have the chance, like LA did for the most part. The playoffs are a war and the more games you make yourself play, the more chance you have of your guys wearing down with nagging injuries.

CCF23

Not so crazy. Habs are a wildcard who can beat anyone without warning.

The Habs are going to be the 2 seed or the 4 seed likely, though, so they'd only take out one of Pittsburgh or Boston, likely in the second round.

That means some other team (Sens? Rangers?) would have to take care of the other.

Not so crazy. Habs are a wildcard who can beat anyone without warning.

I'd argue that the Bruins, Habs or (healthy) Sens could give the Pens a run for their money without suprsing me. If Toronto gets its elite goalie, or the Rangers decide to start playing like the sum of their talent virtually all of the east becomes a minefield.

Tabris

Wow. I was talking with people from work and everyone was excited, then I checked TSN comments on the trade and everyone was negative which surprised, so I was expecting everyone here to be negative. That's awesome you're not.

I'm really excited about this deal. He is a left handed shot, so he'll be able to take the opposite faceoff dot from Kesler (like Henrik does but now for defensive faceoffs). We may be able to load up that 2nd line with both Kesler and Roy if one of them can play wing where appropriate. Otherwise, a skilled and fast 3rd line with great back checking ability (Hansen - Roy - Raymond)

I know he's small, but I don't think toughness is required. You can play a finesse game, you just have to make the opposition pay on the PP. Something we did all of 2010-2011 until we ran into one of the best SC goaltending I've ever seen.

I also really think Gillis will try to sign him if it hasn't already been worked on. When you trade Luongo and get rid of one of Ballard or Booth's contracts, we have enough space. Let's break it down here:

Current team payroll for 2013 is $62.9M.

We will have the following UFA's: Mason Raymond, Derek Roy, Manny Maholtra (gone), Maxim Lapierre, and a bunch of 4th line player possibilities.

We will have the following RFA's to deal with: Jordan Schroeder, and a bunch of 4th line player possibilities.

Cap taken by Luongo + Ballard is $9.5M

So we would have $53.4M cap payroll after those two are gone, which leaves $10.9M to sign Derek Roy, Jordan Schroeder, Mason Raymond, and possibly Ryane Clowe. I think you let Mason Raymond walk if you get Ryane Clowe and you fit in the cap space for those two with a bit of a discount and then get a cheap backup goalie and 4th line scrubs.

I forgot the name of the capologist on the Canucks, but they also have been over the cap for multiple years and work it through backdated LTIR's and calling/dropping players to AHL to circumvent the cap.

EDIT - It's Lawrence Gilman that handles that.

Alucard

Banned
I'd argue that the Bruins, Habs or (healthy) Sens could give the Pens a run for their money without suprisng me. If Toronto gets its elite goalie or the Rangers decide to start playing like the sum of their talent, virtually all of the east becomes a minefield.

If the Pens are healthy, them and the Bruins are the teams to beat. If Crosby is out for an extended period of time, or if guys like Letang and Malkin get injured, I'm worried.

Kave_Man

come in my shame circle
The East playoffs are going to be a bloodbath. Only possible freedom will be whoever faces Winnipeg in the first round...and even then I can't guarantee that with that crazy Winnipeg crowd.

Smiley90

Wow. I was talking with people from work and everyone was excited, then I checked TSN comments on the trade and everyone was negative which surprised, so I was expecting everyone here to be negative. That's awesome you're not.

I'm really excited about this deal. He is a left handed shot, so he'll be able to take the opposite faceoff dot from Kesler (like Henrik does but now for defensive faceoffs). We may be able to load up that 2nd line with both Kesler and Roy if one of them can play wing where appropriate. Otherwise, a skilled and fast 3rd line with great back checking ability (Hansen - Roy - Raymond)

I know he's small, but I don't think toughness is required. You can play a finesse game, you just have to make the opposition pay on the PP. Something we did all of 2010-2011 until we ran into one of the best SC goaltending I've ever seen.

I also really think Gillis will try to sign him if it hasn't already been worked on. When you trade Luongo and get rid of one of Ballard or Booth's contracts, we have enough space. Let's break it down here:

There's your problem.
Why would we put both Kesler and Roy on the 2nd? I'd MUCH rather have Roy play 3rd line C and keep Schroeder down. Also, at this point I'd actually rather re-sign Raymond and let Clowe walk. Raymond has been the much better player than Clowe this season.

Also, assuming we buy out Booth and Ballard and trade Luongo we'll have roughly 15 mio for Raymond, Roy, a top-6 d-man, whatever comes back in a Luongo trade (let's say 2-3 mio in dead salary) and some more. Lapierre, Pinnizotto and Schroeder will probably all resign for, say, 3 mio total a year. So let's assume 10 mio for Roy, Raymond and a top-6 d-man. It's doable, but really, REALLY close. And that's only if we get rid of Luongo, too.

Tabris

The East playoffs are going to be a bloodbath. Only possible freedom will be whoever faces Winnipeg in the first round...and even then I can't guarantee that with that crazy Winnipeg crowd.

Think so? I only see 4 teams I would be worried about in the East. BOS, PIT, MON, and NYR. Rest are over achievers or play in the worst division in NHL like NJD (without ZP), OTT, TOR, and WPG.

Now the west is scary with CHI, ANA, VAN, LAK, STL, MIN, and DET. All of those teams have a good shot. I would maybe downgrade LAK but they are the winners so you gotta give them a bit of credit. Detroit can surprise.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I was hoping for a right handed defenceman, and someone with more experience. Whatever, Stanley Cup Champion, Fleeced!

Tabris

There's your problem.
Why would we put both Kesler and Roy on the 2nd? I'd MUCH rather have Roy play 3rd line C and keep Schroeder down. Also, at this point I'd actually rather re-sign Raymond and let Clowe walk. Raymond has been the much better player than Clowe this season.

Also, assuming we buy out Booth and Ballard and trade Luongo we'll have roughly 15 mio for Raymond, Roy, a top-6 d-man, whatever comes back in a Luongo trade (let's say 2-3 mio in dead salary) and some more. Lapierre, Pinnizotto and Schroeder will probably all resign for, say, 3 mio total a year. So let's assume 10 mio for Roy, Raymond and a top-6 d-man. It's doable, but really, REALLY close. And that's only if we get rid of Luongo, too.

You don't give up Booth and you don't buy him out. There would be a market for at least a 3rd/4th round pick for Booth. But Booth still has potential, he spent last year after the trade adjusting to west coast hockey and been injured this entire year. He'll be healthy starting next year.

CCF23

Roy could very well end up being a pure rental. It seems like he wants to test UFA. We'll see.

Either way, it's not like we sold the farm for him.

Roy is there to anchor the 3rd line and Lappy will play the 4th. He's not going to play 2nd line.

Yeah, Gilman said they envision the third line being Higgins - Roy - Hansen

*droooooooool*

Love that third line.

McKenzie says Clowe is down to NYR or Vancouver. Smart money on NYR.

If the Pens are healthy, them and the Bruins are the teams to beat. If Crosby is out for an extended period of time, or if guys like Letang and Malkin get injured, I'm worried.

A hot goalie can make even the most initially lopsided series a nightmare. Fleury is great but can be inconsistent, I'd take Anderson, Price or Lundkvist for a playoff run over him any day of the week.

Acid08

Banned
Think so? I only see 4 teams I would be worried about in the East. BOS, PIT, MON, and NYR. Rest are over achievers or play in the worst division in NHL like NJD (without ZP), OTT, TOR, and WPG.

Now the west is scary with CHI, ANA, VAN, LAK, STL, MIN, and DET. All of those teams have a good shot. I would maybe downgrade LAK but they are the winners so you gotta give them a bit of credit. Detroit can surprise.
St. Louis ain't exactly hot this year.

Van or NYR huh? I think Clowe would fit in on the Rangers more.

Smiley90

You don't give up Booth and you don't buy him out. There would be a market for at least a 3rd/4th round pick for Booth. But Booth still has potential, he spent last year after the trade adjusting to west coast hockey and been injured this entire year. He'll be healthy starting next year.

He's too expensive to just keep around "hoping" he'll be a 2nd line winger though. If we have the space I'd love to keep him (and Ballard), but we don't, so one or both of them need to go, sadly. Esp with how well Raymond&Hansen have played on the 2nd, and if we get another winger in, and IF Jensen/Kassian improve their play enough to reliably put on of them on the 2nd line at some point.

Tabris

Roy is there to anchor the 3rd line and Lappy will play the 4th. He's not going to play 2nd line.

Well he will be the 2nd line for a while here, that's for sure. And when Kesler is back, that line will remain 2nd while he finds his game.

St. Louis ain't exactly hot this year.

Yeah, but they just improved and they were dealing with some injuries and goaltending issues with Elliot for a bit there. I think you'll see them box out Columbus and Edmonton from making it into the playoffs.

Roy plugs the hole down the Canucks' middle, but they still need a second-line winger. I do like Higgins, Hansen, and even Raymond has impressed, but none are really pure goal scorers.

3 decent scoring lines aren't nothing to sneeze at, though.

Canucks will keep Booth. He has upside, while I think Higgins, Hansen, and Raymond have peaked.

I guess it also depends on how well Kesler and Booth play together because they're both puck hogs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom