• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

RC

Banned
Are you trying to get back into it to be able to afford school, so you can then quit sales forever?

I can afford to go to school right now. It's just a matter of what to take. My problem is that I hate almost everything. And if I hate something, I have no motivation to follow through with it.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I can afford to go to school right now. It's just a matter of what to take. My problem is that I hate almost everything. And if I hate something, I have no motivation to follow through with it.

Take a bit of everything, and see which one you dislike the least/like the most. That's what university's about, really.

Smiley90

If you aren't paying for it maybe.

He just said he can afford paying for school... Plus, if you wanna get a degree, like half your credits are made up of electives anyway (k, for SOME), so it's not like you'll "waste" money, since the credits still contribute. Take a bit of everything for the first semester, have those you don't follow through count as electives in the end.

RC

Banned
He just said he can afford paying for school... Plus, if you wanna get a degree, like half your credits are made up of electives anyway (k, for SOME), so it's not like you'll "waste" money, since the credits still contribute. Take a bit of everything for the first semester, have those you don't follow through count as electives in the end.

I don't have the marks to get into university. Besides, a four year degree would mean I'd be 34 by the time it's all said and done.

Smiley90

I don't have the marks to get into university. Not to mention I'm 30.

College? I went to Langara for a year, it offers a lot of different courses. There's also Kwantlen/Douglas, or sth like BCIT (although I'm not sure what the BCIT entrance criteria are). You can just take a 1year/2year-program at Langara, too.

Who gives a shit? Degree > no degree

Also, this.

That's really dependent on what you end up with. I'm speaking from an Engineering background.

Who gives a shit? Degree > no degree

Also this.

Alucard

Banned
Stoner is a lil bitch.

EYzAa.gif

RC

Banned
College? I went to Langara for a year, it offers a lot of different courses. There's also Kwantlen/Douglas, or sth like BCIT (although I'm not sure what the BCIT entrance criteria are). You can just take a 1year/2year-program at Langara, too.

I did go to Douglas after high school. Took a lot of different courses too. Unfortunately at that time I lacked any sort of motivation, and with no goal in sight I flunked out.

Smiley90

That's really dependent on what you end up with. I'm speaking from an Engineering background.

Also this.

Oh I know what you mean, I think my degree allows for like... 6 elective courses or something ridiculous like that. But other degrees allow for WAY more freedom in selection. And even if he wants to get into one of the more "restrictive" degrees, there's definitely enough space for at least one semester or two of electives to pick from.

I did go to Douglas after high school. Took a lot of different courses too. Unfortunately at that time I lacked any sort of motivation, and with no goal in sight I flunked out.

Go back? Or start over somewhere else. Do you remember liking anything? I swear there's nothing wrong with going back to school, even as a 30 year old. Better than being 40 and wishing you'd gone back to school right now., because you're still working sales.

3N16MA

Banned
I don't have the marks to get into university. Besides, a four year degree would mean I'd be 34 by the time it's all said and done.

Upgrade your HS marks through distance courses. Not sure how it's done in BC but I'm guessing it would be similar to Ontario. Most universities don't care about repeated courses and will only take the most recent grade. You can get into most programs as an adult student

Acid08

Banned
Certainly doing anything is better than minimum wage ghetto bullshit.

Try something in the medical field? Any of that interest you? I'm doing that because depending on what you do you can get certification quickly and earn much more money while you try to figure out what your next step is.

Also: Raffi Bomb

02k0fyqr_zps217eb390.jpg

Oh shit and Pav $$$$ second later!!!

RC

Banned
Oh I know what you mean, I think my degree allows for like... 6 elective courses or something ridiculous like that. But other degrees allow for WAY more freedom in selection. And even if he wants to get into one of the more "restrictive" degrees, there's definitely enough space for at least one semester or two of electives to pick from.

Go back? Or start over somewhere else. Do you remember liking anything? I swear there's nothing wrong with going back to school, even as a 30 year old. Better than being 40 and wishing you'd gone back to school right now., because you're still working sales.

Very true. I liked Psychology, initially. But by the second year I had already lost interest.

And thanks for all the advice and encouragement guys. Much appreciated.

Degrees are not necessary at all but you have to work your ass off to get a job. You need to look into the informal job market which requires a ton of networking and most people suck or have no clue how to network in the first place. You need some qualifications, everyone has skills, not everyone knows how to sell themselves and write their skills in a way that looks appealing to the job your applying for. There are literally a limitless amount of jobs that are hired untraditionally, ie from staffing agencies, paid internships, or old fashioned networking.

I know this because my "trade" is public relations, networking is what I know. Ive been in the same situation. I dont have a degree but ive got many jobs that would or should require them by many standards. Im kind of switching careers currently to more administrative work. But having been in a similar situation I would recommend contacting people in jobs you wish you had. Specifically organizations, for example I had wanted to run and plan events for an NPO for a really long time so I started reaching out to some of the directors of programs and associations, theyll ask for your resume, dont send it on initial contact, its bad form, just tell these potentially mentors if you will what your situation is and where you want to be and if they have any contacts who can help you and keep working through the vines. This can be very time consuming, but the more effort you put forth the better your results will be. A lot of people are very willing to go for a coffee and give you some networking pointers or refer you to someone else. And a lot of times all you need to have an advantage is a name drop.

Sorry for the long winded post but I can sympathize and thought id offer some advice on stuff thats worked for me.

Smiley90

Very true. I liked Psychology, initially. But by the second year I had already lost interest.

And thanks for all the advice and encouragement guys. Much appreciated.

I had a couple of 40 years in my program. Its a very common thing now.

My therapist got her degree when she was 55. Age ain't limiting shit for a lot of professions. Just make sure you're good at what you do Desi.

Yeah it's really not that uncommon, and shouldn't keep you from getting out of sales. As long as you find something you can be passionate about. If not Psychology, maybe something like Social Work? Or sth completely different. Anyway, that's completely up to you. You should check if you can continue what you took at Douglas.

Degrees are not necessary at all but you have to work your ass off to get a job. You need to look into the informal job market which requires a ton of networking and most people suck or have no clue how to network in the first place. You need some qualifications, everyone has skills, not everyone knows how to sell themselves and write their skills in a way that looks appealing to the job your applying for. There are literally a limitless amount of jobs that are hired untraditionally, ie from staffing agencies, paid internships, or old fashioned networking.

I know this because my "trade" is public relations, networking is what I know. Ive been in the same situation. I dont have a degree but ive got many jobs that would or should require them by many standards. Im kind of switching careers currently to more administrative work. But having been in a similar situation I would recommend contacting people in jobs you wish you had. Specifically organizations, for example I had wanted to run and plan events for an NPO for a really long time so I started reaching out to some of the directors of programs and associations, theyll ask for your resume, dont send it on initial contact, its bad form, just tell these potentially mentors if you will what your situation is and where you want to be and if they have any contacts who can help you and keep working through the vines. This can be very time consuming, but the more effort you put forth the better your results will be. A lot of people are very willing to go for a coffee and give you some networking pointers or refer you to someone else. And a lot of times all you need to have an advantage is a name drop.

Sorry for the long winded post but I can sympathize and thought id offer some advice on stuff thats worked for me.

To be fair, most of the "networking" for people happens when they're IN their degree, or especially in trades you can get lucky. In Sales? Not at all. For most jobs/professions, degrees are a must, and for all other professions they're definitely not detrimental, but ALWAYS good to have.

Smiley90

Before After Hours start and this thread goes to shit, I thoroughly enjoyed this gif:

ibmg2rs8exQpcF.gif

Acid08

Banned
SHARKS WIN!

ihBbHhHawRURn.gif

Fuck you Wild. Fuck you Suter. Fuck you Parise. Fuck you Koivu. Fuck you Clutterfuck. Fuck you Stoner. Fuck you fairweather Wild fans on GAF that disappear.

Setoguchi 11 games without a goal. And Wild fans actually thought he was for real there for a minute :lol

Socreges

Banned
I hate networking, but it's something that I need to get better at and do more often if I want to reach my goals.

Fucking networking.

Thank you, Sharks.

Smiley90

I hate networking, but it's something that I need to get better at and do more often if I want to reach my goals.

Fucking networking.

Thank you, Sharks.

Networking and Dating are two of the worst and sadly necessary things in life.

geeko

SHARKS WIN!

ihBbHhHawRURn.gif

Fuck you Wild. Fuck you Suter. Fuck you Parise. Fuck you Koivu. Fuck you Clutterfuck. Fuck you Stoner. Fuck you fairweather Wild fans on GAF that disappear.

Setoguchi 11 games without a goal. And Wild fans actually thought he was for real there for a minute :lol

As stone cold says, "OH HELL YEAH!"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom