• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Marvie_3

Banned
Well, Season is done for the Jets. Gotta take the positives though:

They finished over .500.
They were able to have an actual decent road record this year.
They were able to win some back to back games too.
They had a nice little streak going this past month that, were it not for the teams that they were chasing doing even better, they could have gone further than this today.

I'm not angry or bitter about not making the playoffs. We all knew here in Winnipeg what kind of team we were inheriting and that it would take time to make it into a winning one. The 2 years here have seen the team improve for the most part, I think.

I'm also excited to be back in the West. Gonna be nice to build up some rivalries again with teams I am more interested in, like the Hawks, for instance.

Mark Scheifele and Jacob Trouba hopefully can make the team next fall and this upcoming draft looks to be exceptional. I'm already eager for the fall. haha. Ah well...

To the Offseason Thread!
(Is there one yet?)

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=544140

Quick

Banned
Ooo and it's alright and it's comin' 'long
We got to get right back to where we started from
Love is good, love can be strong
We got to get right back to where we started from

CCF23

And here I thought CCF was joking when he said you liked that stuff.

yxHSu.gif

Stasis

Had to crash early, but just woke up to the discovery that the Rangers made the playoffs and it may be against Boston.

Best.scenario.ever. Please Habs, let Boston take the NE. Go back to your suck train for another game, k? We'll take them out for you and you can beat us later, injury-free.

I get one for free:

Mario 3D Land (completed, loved, sold, would play again)
Star Fox 64 3D (finished but not completed 100%, loved, would play again)
Professor Layton and the Miracle Mask (never played, but I've still got the DS ones to complete so might be silly to get this)

Which one do I add to my backlog?

Professor Layton, because hopefully it will make you less of a dumb cunt.

Reminder that I love you and think you're incredibly intellectual incase this salt hits a wound

Best.scenario.ever. Please Habs, let Boston take the NE. Go back to your suck train for another game, k? We'll take them out for you and you can beat us later, injury-free.

75I7bWB.png

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Intermediate finance, though its sounding like everyone failed, never had an exam where I looked at the pages and literally said what the fuck, ohwell!

Its summer bitches and were in the playoffs!
I said that for my 1st Japanese final.

We looked at some of the prior years and the tests were a joke.

I go to the final all confident and goddamn Ikuko Komuro-Lee pulls a fast one on us and throws weirs ass words and ideas at us like some goddamm eraser that can erase your dreams or some shit. And we had to write an essay in Japanese. None of this shit was in the earlier tests.

Literally said, "what the fuck is this?!"

Looking at the standings I have to say the difference between the Flyers and everyone up through Ottawa is completely irrelevant. Basically the Flyers are worse at shootouts and losing in regulation rather than OT. Seems like a really freaking stupid distinction. At the end of the day we're not even going to be in 9th and have more ROW (aka games won by being good at hockey) than some playoff teams potentially.

The system is stupid. Also, I think this just highlights the effect of the shortened season. Over time these teams could have set themselves apart rather than getting all bunched together. Obviously you're probably still going to get clusters, but this is too many teams with virtually no way to distinguish between them.

Looking at the standings I have to say the difference between the Flyers and everyone up through Ottawa is completely irrelevant. Basically the Flyers are worse at shootouts and losing in regulation rather than OT.

Dat negative goal differential.

It's awfully rare a team that scores less goals than it lets in makes the postseason.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
Isles/Rangers/Sens all have 54 points. Ottawa has a game in hand.

Seeding still TBD. Hope the Isles dont wind up stuck with the Pens in round 1. I dont want their shitty fans in my Coliseum

Cake Boss

Banned
Looking at the standings I have to say the difference between the Flyers and everyone up through Ottawa is completely irrelevant. Basically the Flyers are worse at shootouts and losing in regulation rather than OT. Seems like a really freaking stupid distinction. At the end of the day we're not even going to be in 9th and have more ROW (aka games won by being good at hockey) than some playoff teams potentially.

The system is stupid. Also, I think this just highlights the effect of the shortened season. Over time these teams could have set themselves apart rather than getting all bunched together. Obviously you're probably still going to get clusters, but this is too many teams with virtually no way to distinguish between them.

Uhhh no. Its called one team has something called defense and clutch goaltending to keep the team to going to OT or shootouts.

Fuuuck no.

You have Bryz, we have Anderson and the best PK in the league.

There's a difference.

Uhhh no. Its called one team has something called defense and clutch goaltending to keep the team to going to OT or shootouts.

Shootouts have nothing to do with being a good hockey team. Losing in OT is still a loss and in the playoffs there is no difference between the two. They are horrible metrics of what makes a team good.

And the Flyers can go toe to toe with anyone in the league on special teams, so these "differences" are all pretty trivial.

What matters is a team's ability to win games by scoring goals other than by skating from the center dot straight at a goalie.

Slurmer

Banned

Flyers sucked all year...just consistently bad...except for the last 10 or so where theyve had a few streaks. I get what you're saying, but this year's Flyers is not the team to make your point.

Cake Boss

Banned
Shootouts have nothing to do with being a good hockey team. Losing in OT is still a loss and in the playoffs there is no difference between the two. They are horrible metrics of what makes a team good.

And the Flyers can go toe to toe with anyone in the league on special teams, so these "differences" are all pretty trivial.

What matters is a team's ability to win games by scoring goals other than by skating from the center dot straight at a goalie.

oh ok so goaltending and defense has nothing to with the Flyers getting box stretched in almost every game in the playoffs last year.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
The Flyers are where they are because they have lost 22 games in regulation. Sens have lost 16, Isles have lost 17, Rags have lost 18. Shootouts and other arguments aside, you can't lose 22 regulation games in a 48 game season (with the NHL scoring system) and complain that you're not making the playoffs. Want to play in May? Stop getting beat.

Var

The Flyers are where they are because they have lost 22 games in regulation. Sens have lost 16, Isles have lost 17, Rags have lost 18. Shootouts and other arguments aside, you can't lose 22 regulation games in a 48 game season (with the NHL scoring system) and complain that you're not making the playoffs. Want to play in May? Stop getting beat.

True. The flyers don't deserve to be in the playoffs. The NHL scoring system still needs fixed though.

Heretic

I'm on my phone at the moment. Can anyone give him the link to the Off Season Thread?

oh ok so goaltending and defense has nothing to with the Flyers getting box stretched in almost every game in the playoffs last year.

They made the second round....

I'm not saying the Flyers are good, but neither are 6 through 8 in the Eastern Conference.

Flyers have had problems with consistency all year, agreed, but I think a lot of people see the illusion of consistency in the current system.

And as much as people want to shit on the Flyers, they have pretty awesome special teams this year, and now with Mason look decent. I think making particularly large distinctions based on the number of OT losses is stupid.

This is stupid. Losing in regulation is the same thing as losing in OT or a shootout.

EDIT: And honestly, I'm starting to think Flyers fans here just have higher expectations than say the Sens fans because we're USED to icing good teams rather than just mediocre ones. There were points this year when the Flyers have been piss poor, but they've had some really great nights too. We're a mediocre team in this league (particularly the east), and while we say the team "sucks" like I often do it's because it is nowhere near our expectations and is showing serious signs for concern for the future, not because the level of play is that far below the Isles, Rangers, Sens, Caps, and Devils.

T.M. MacReady

NO ONE DENIES MEMBER
This is stupid. Losing in regulation is the same thing as losing in OT or a shootout.

Not really. Losing in OT or a shootout reflects that you hung with the team for 60 minutes and lost a tiebreak. Losing in regulation suggests that you got beat in 60 minutes and didn't play well enough to get an opportunity to win a tiebreak.

Cake Boss

Banned

All of the other 29 teams have been playing under the same rules for years now, you can try to justify your crappy season all you can, but the end of the day the team didnt win enough games to get the points to be in the top 8.

All of the other 29 teams have been playing under the same rules for years now, you can try to justify your crappy season all you can, but the end of the day the team didnt win enough games to get the points to be in the top 8.

I've agreed with them for years. The system is atrocious. There was only once in the last few years that the system would have even arguably affected the Flyers chances making the playoffs (2010) and THAT time we were just making it by the skin of our teeth when we had a really good ROW column.

This isn't justifying a bad season, it's saying other teams with bad seasons are getting rewarded.

EDIT: And honestly, I'm starting to think Flyers fans here just have higher expectations than say the Sens fans because we're USED to icing good teams rather than just mediocre ones. There were points this year when the Flyers have been piss poor, but they've had some really great nights too. We're a mediocre team in this league (particularly the east), and while we say the team "sucks" like I often do it's because it is nowhere near our expectations and is showing serious signs for concern for the future, not because the level of play is that far below the Isles, Rangers, Sens, Caps, and Devils.

No, clearly our team is bad and we should feel bad.

Cake Boss

Banned
I've agreed with them for years. The system is atrocious. There was only once in the last few years that the system would have even arguably affected the Flyers chances making the playoffs (2010) and THAT time we were just making it by the skin of our teeth when we had a really good ROW column.

This isn't justifying a bad season, it's saying other teams with bad seasons are getting rewarded.

So which teams deserve to be out and which teams deserve to be in?

Someone wake up Dopey.

So which teams deserve to be out and which teams deserve to be in?

Someone wake up Dopey.

Go by ROW, then head to head record, then goal differential. Shootouts and OTL are useless. The shootout is one of the worst things to ever happen to the sport. At most those games should be 1-point games where the winner gets one point and the loser gets nothing.

Flyers would be fighting for the eight spot. Winnipeg would be in. Devs would be deader than a doornail.

Magni

There's always next year.

Cake Boss

Banned
Go by ROW, then head to head record, then goal differential. Shootouts and OTL are useless. The shootout is one of the worst things to ever happen to the sport. At most those games should be 1-point games where the winner gets one point and the loser gets nothing.

Flyers would be fighting for the eight spot. Winnipeg would be in. Devs would be deader than a doornail.

i9BurgZZ1PwHV.gif

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Isles/Rangers/Sens all have 54 points. Ottawa has a game in hand.

Seeding still TBD. Hope the Isles dont wind up stuck with the Pens in round 1. I dont want their shitty fans in my Coliseum

I feel like you guys have the best chance of the three against the Pens, so I'd be happy if you stayed right where you are, thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom