• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2013 |OT| Darren Dreger: The NHL's Shane Kim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Curufinwe

Jokinen? Okay, really not sure what to think of the Pens' lineup at this point. Just seems like far too much messing with team chemistry late in the season. Whatever...as long as they get Martin, Letang, and Crosby back, things should be okay. Just worried about these new guys having to learn a new system in a short amount of time.

Don't worry, I'm sure they'll quickly learn how to dive, elbow people in the head, accidentally slice tendons, and embellish in creative & embarrassing ways. Like grabbing a guy's stick when he isn't looking and hitting yourself in the face with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkP-RxhKAyA

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Caps after confirming the trade

6d2.gif

Tabris

I like Gillis, but boy, he fucked up so hard on this whole Luongo thing it's not even funny anymore.

You think so? What should he have done?

Luongo wouldn't allow him to trade him to anyone but FLA in the beginning and there was not enough demand to get anything out of a lower dump back or super low pick?

Unless you mean the original contract? Then agreed.

EDIT - I'm not defending Gillis, I just don't know what is expected. Get rid of him for nothing doesn't help this team right now.

Bergeron suffered a moderate concussion yesterday according to Chiarelli, hopefully he comes back sooner rather than later. He's in good spirits today, apparently.

Tabris

I mean the Luongo non-trade reaction is the same as the Hodgson trade reaction. The players had a lot of control in what happened too, it's just an unfortunate set of situations that happened that led to an undesirable result.

The Luongo situation is complicated. It's hard to lay blame on anyone.

When Luongo signed his contract it was similar to the ones being signed by superstars; Hossa, Kovalchuk, Zetterberg. As one of the league's premier goalies, it was supported by nearly everyone.

Then a few things happened over the years.

-The NHL clamped down on front-loaded lifetime contracts.
-Schneider got good. Really good.
-The Canucks lost the 2011 Cup Finals to Boston.
-The market for goalies dried up.
-The lockout and new CBA shrunk the cap.
-Schneider started Game 3 against LA in the playoffs last year.

Add in Luongo's NTC and trading him becomes very tricky.

Not sure how this will end, but I wouldn't be surprised if this contributes to AV/Gillis losing their job.

EDIT: trading Schneider would've netted a much better return, but management has been saying that he's their guy and Luongo's on the way out. It may make business sense but would expose the Canucks front office as a bunch of lying hypocrites.

Lone_Prodigy said:
The Luongo situation is complicated. It's hard to lay blame on anyone.

There's really only 2 guys you can blame.

Not sure how this will end, but I wouldn't be surprised if this contributes to AV/Gillis losing their job.

And it's these guys.

The complications you list are legitimate, but these are precisely the factors that you want your front office and coaching staff to be able to manage. I personally don't think the contract was a gaffe, or even starting Schneider against LA. The gaffe was not moving Schneider *last summer* when he could have fetched a lot for the Canucks in return.

Tabris

It kind of disappoints me how little faith the fans have, but I also like it. I like being the underdog. It's also totally understandable to have opinions and reactions by the on ice product you see right now, but the other fact is that on ice product is not our total sum.

- We just got a bonafied 2nd line C, and potential 1st line C that will be playing 2nd/3rd line duties. That gives other players breathing room.
- We have been missing our second line the entire season and they will be coming back.
- Jason Garrison has only been playing for 30 games with the west coast style and AV's style, takes time and he's been getting better.
- Our third line players have improved drastically this year which will look really good when both paired with Roy and have a 2nd line scoring threat at the same time.
- The original Schneider / Luongo distractions, which have been partly addressed. Only question now is how the players deal with it going forward.
- Sedins have been in 2 major slumps this year but have shown several times they also still have it. Part of this may be expectations and not having enough breathing room without a 2nd line scoring threat.

These things should be rectified by end of season going into playoffs. When they are, this is a better team than the one that got knocked out by the Stanley Cup champions. That team was also missing Daniel Sedin.

I just want to repost this after the trade talk flurry. I would love to see what other Canuck fans think on this as we seem to be evaluating the team by the current on ice product. How different do you think that is from the final team we should be seeing going into the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom