• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2014 |OT| Waiting for the playoff thread...

MSL in NYR: 17 GP 1 G 3 A 4 PTS

Steve Godzerman! FLEECED!

So it this the 2nd time Yzerman was somewhat yelled at for a trade that ended up benefiting Tampa over the other team when it seemed like it would be the opposite once the trade was done? (The other being the Bishop fleecing?).

I know for a fact he didn't learn that from Holland.

gaming_noob

It'll all be worth it if this happens and we somehow win the lottery dear god pls Sam Bennet/Reinhart pls

Those are the type of players to build around. Sorry to say but I would love for the Leafs to get rid of their 2 biggest trading chips in Kessel and Phaneuf and get a few high draft picks IF they could get Bennett/Reinhart and let the young guys grow together. One reason the Avs are so exciting to watch.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Those are the type of players to build around. Sorry to say but I would love for the Leafs to get rid of their 2 biggest trading chips in Kessel and Phaneuf and get a few high draft picks IF they could get Bennett/Reinhart and let the young guys grow together. One reason the Avs are so exciting to watch.

Does anyone really want Phaneuf with his current contract?

K7rq4eK.png

7 goals in one period will do that.

Ducks should be hungry tonight after losing to Edmonton so I hope they win.

Why aren't Phaneuf and Kessel players to build around?

Merguson

Banned
I forgot he's on still on the team....lol

They have been here for about 5 years so management have tried to build around them.... the team doesn't look much improved since then. Time for a fresh start!

Maybe management isn't doing a good job of getting the right players to support them?

Giggzy

You guys remind me a lot of us in 2009-2010 :lol

- Hart winner/50 goal scorer and 1st line centre up front: Ovi+Backstrom - Getzlaf+Perry

- Hole at the 2nd line centre position

- No clear #1 in net

- Right handed veteran goalie faltering with young stud waiting to take over: Theodore/Hiller Varlamov/Andersen

- An ability to come back in any game and win it (Usually play like poop to start games)

- Boudreau

- Lots of depth scoring from unknown NHL players

Though I'd say that you're defense is probably better.

Still think you guys will win round 1 easily if you get a WC.

This is.... So accurate and depressing.

Giggzy

Yeah, Gibson was the backup I believe. Just called up recently.

I hope gibbo plays tonight. Boudreau needs to just sit Hiller until the playoffs start. Tell him to get rest and get his mind right. He looks rattled right now.

As soon as he fails Andersen needs to come in and stay there.

Hiller still hasn't been resigned yet right? The club I'm sure has an idea of what they plan on doing. If they don't want him here anymore then they need to stop playing him now. He's going to lead us crashing out of the playoffs.

Spl1nter

Why aren't Phaneuf and Kessel players to build around?

Kessel is a player you can build around but Nonis made some really bad moves that have hurt the leafs. Getting rid of Grabovski and letting MacArthur walk, two solid 2nd line players just gone. That is basically giving away a late 1st round pick. Clarkson at the moment is a negative asset.... Now we most likely will see Kulemin go for nothing and are in a bad position no matter what with Bolland. His one good move of acquiring Bernier doesnt really make up for all that.

The team is in a really odd place now. They can compete for a playoff spot but don't have enough assets to become a contender. Its the reason why I wanted them to trade Kulemin and Raymond at the deadline they needed to at least try and stay asset even. The only way to generate assets is through drafting, lopsided trades, and FA (Jagr or college route). Burke was able to build up quite a bit of value through trade and FA which is impressive in a cap era: Bozak, JVR, MacArthur, Phaneuf, Lupul, Gardiner, Franson. His bad moves really were not of major consequence.

Its still mind boggling how the leafs completely wasted their two compliance buyouts. Those could of been real assets for them.

Kessels a winger and Dions a #2

You still build around those positions.

edit: Totally agree, Spl1nter.

Apparently Ferraro destroyed O'Neill on the radio today - to the point where O'Neill turned off his mic and refused to participate.

Last time I can remember that happening was when John Shannon shut down Damien Cox on Primetime.

Kessel is one of the league's top scorers. You don't trade him.

Phaneuf is good but he's not a number 1 defenceman.

So what the Leafs need is a number 1 defenceman and a number 1 centre to play with Kessel. Unless you give up a king's ransom via trade or draft one, you won't get one. These are two of the most sought after commodities in the league. You probably won't win a Cup without them.

You still build around those positions.

Top pairing D, sure. You don't build around wingers though, you build down the middle and if you so happen to get a great wing, then good on you. I think they can be a cornerstone of your team, but not something you set out to do.

zroid

Banned
Apparently Ferraro destroyed O'Neill on the radio today - to the point where O'Neill turned off his mic and refused to participate.

It was already in progress when I tuned in (got back in the car after an errand) and I was just agape throughout :lol

Samyy

Thats the problem - with Phaneuf at 7M, Clarkson at 5.25, Lupul at 5.25, Kessel at 8 and now if you add Bolland at 5m x 6-8 years we're fucked from competing for another 6-7 years. We won't be able to add a #1 centre or D-man, they'll be no room.

Sure the cap will go up but you have to factor in raises for Bernier, Rielly, maybe Gardiner, maybe Kadri, etc.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Top pairing D, sure. You don't build around wingers though, you build down the middle and if you so happen to get a great wing, then good on you. I think they can be a cornerstone of your team, but not something you set out to do.

Kessel is a PPG winger though, with Bozak as his centreman.

Toronto needs a guy like Bergeron up the middle though, take on the tough matchups while still putting up points.

Spl1nter

I think you can compete for the cup without your prototypical #1D. Nucks, Jersey, Pens all recently did not have that super elite #1. Center is probably more important but I think in the case of Toronto, Kessel is so good you can compete without an elite #1. A 1a, 1b, 1c model with a shutdown 4th line could win a cup. We never really got to see that until the playoffs last year since having a garbage 4th line is Carlyle.

This isnt to say last years team was a cup contender. They were just closer to a model that could work based on the assets they had with tweaking to a 4th line, improving the D and the right playoff upgrade.

I dont think its hard to say that a leafs team that spends Clarkson money, Bolland assets on D is a lot better. Not to mention in a better cap position. They could have 4 million in cap if they compliance bought out Liles instead.

lamaroo, bergeron is an elite #1 center.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Why are the Leafs so obsessed with Bolland? It's so odd.

God, I hope they sign Vanek. Also is PK ok? What was the deal with him getting so few minutes. Just had a shitty game so Therrien had to teach him respec?
I'm pretty sure he's injured, he's gone for off for repairs multiple times, and has been fumbling about out there the last two games. Also, I refuse to believe that even Therrien is dumb enough to give him the lowest amount of ES mins in the top 6. Hopefully they're resting him so he's ready for the playoffs.

I think you can compete for the cup without your prototypical #1D. Nucks, Jersey, Pens all recently did not have that super elite #1. Center is probably more important but I think in the case of Toronto, Kessel is so good you can compete without an elite #1. A 1a, 1b, 1c model with a shutdown 4th line could win a cup.
I disagree, to win the cup as an Eastern team you're center will have to go through Bergeon & Krejci / Crosby / Malkin and then if you do make it to the West you'll have to deal with the likes of Thorton, Backes, Toews, Getzlaf, Kopitar. You won't be able to go all that way without a true #1, that's why I want to move Desharnais. He's been great after rebounding, but he'll get crushed by the likes of those guys.

Phaneuf doesn't strike me as someone to "build around". He's just not in that class of dmen, though he gets paid as such

I agree.

Obviously Kessel and Phaneuf are not the only 2 foundational pieces the Leafs need.

Right up until the 8-game collapse, pretty much everyone from the deepest Corsi watching skeptic to the mouth-breather wearing a Colton Orr jersey agreed that the Leafs still needed to add a 1C and a 1D - or at least build up the depth so that those things aren't needed (ie, Boston with the 1C and what the plan was until things fell apart).
And now? You have people talking as if trading away 2 of the team's best players is the only way the team can re-orient itself and become successful.

I dunno - maybe that's how it needs to be. But I think we should wait and see how this roster reacts to a new - hopefully non old school - coach before we agitate for a blow up.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
We also defend better without Shitzza.

Then we need better d-men.

Do you wanna trade Karlsson because he has a shit load of giveaways as well(most in the league)?

I remember in the early 2000s, our biggest problem was that we didn't have a #1 center, and now that we do everyone wants to run him out of town. It's so typical of this city.

Spezza is still a ppg player, how many of those are there in the NHL?

Hell, how many #1 centers are there period?

Do you wanna trade Karlsson because he has a shit load of giveaways as well(most in the league)?

I remember in the early 2000s, our biggest problem was that we didn't have a #1 center, and now that we do everyone wants to run him out of town. It's so typical of this city.

I did not know this but am not surprised.

We have 2 (one's injured though) :(

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Yzerman signed a 4 year contract extension

There aren't 30 #1 defensemen, either. Philly has a #1C, but not a #1D.
This is why every trade deadline, and every free agency we here Dreger & Co telling us how every team is looking for one or both of those.

Top Bottom