• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2014 |OT| Waiting for the playoff thread...

Having a great pairing is more important than a 1D. Two years ago we had Campbell-Garrison as a top pair they were an elite duo. Campbell alone or Garrison alone are not elite, but together they were amazing.

Acid08

Banned
Well, how many teams more than one #1C?

San Jose, Detroit, Boston, and...?
Meh, I don't think we have more than one actual #1C. We just have dudes like Couture, Marleau, and Pavelski, who can be #1Cs on some teams, but are more like 1.5/2Cs. But yeah we're stacked, feels good man.

Samyy

The only guys I classify as #1cs as of this season:

Crosby
Malkin
Toews
Giroux
Stamkos
Kopitar
Bergeron
Krecji
Thorton
Couture
Zetterberg
Datsuyk
Getzlaf
Tavares
Seguin

No apparent order. Couture is probably the worst of those.

15 guys :eek:

Then there are questionables like:
#1Bs
Staal
Spezza
Backstrom
Backes
Pavelski

Avs have Duchene, O'Reilly, Stastny and Mac and the latter two (give Mac a few years) aren't legitimate #1s but could be on other teams. But none of this matters anyway cause only two of the four even play center right now. Team makeup is a weird thing but it's cool, you don't have to build your team in a cookie cutter way to be successful.

Curufinwe

Having a great pairing is more important than a 1D. Two years ago we had Campbell-Garrison as a top pair they were an elite duo. Campbell alone or Garrison alone are not elite, but together they were amazing.

In the 2010 Cup run the Flyers had:

Pronger (35, true #1) - Carle (25, offensive #3)
Kimmo (35, #1 lite) - Coburn (25, defensive #3)
Five junk players who are all out of the league now

ZeroGravity

Yzerman signed a 4 year contract extension
Zero gets 4 more years of Yzerman
prtr1Zy.png

Socreges

Banned
Avs have Duchene, O'Reilly, Stastny and Mac and the latter two (give Mac a few years) aren't legitimate #1s but could be on other teams. But none of this matters anyway cause only two of the four even play center right now. Team makeup is a weird thing but it's cool, you don't have to build your team in a cookie cutter way to be successful.
This is a weird conversation if you guys are gonna keep using "#1C" differently. If a team has a deficit of good centers, that probably shouldn't mean that Tyler Bozak is therefore a "legitimate #1C". #1C can really only mean 'elite'.

Crosby
Malkin
Toews
Giroux
Stamkos
Kopitar
Bergeron
Krecji
Thorton
Couture
Zetterberg
Datsuyk
Getzlaf
Tavares
Seguin

#1Bs
Staal
Spezza
Backstrom
Backes
Pavelski

Backstrom is a beast, take that back!

This is a weird conversation if you guys are gonna keep using "#1C" differently. If a team has a deficit of good centers, that probably shouldn't mean that Tyler Bozak is therefore a "legitimate #1C". #1C can really only mean 'elite'.

Well that just begs the question as to what is considered elite, then. It's a weird conversation to have because there are many good players who could be great on a different team (see: Seguin from Boston to Dallas).

edit: Actually, I take that back somewhat. I shouldn't say many players, but a decent amount.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member

Crosby
Malkin
Toews
Giroux
Stamkos
Kopitar
Bergeron
Krecji
Thorton
Couture
Zetterberg
Datsuyk
Getzlaf
Tavares
Seguin

#1Bs
Staal
Spezza
Backstrom
Backes
Pavelski

Where's Desharnais?

Cake Boss

Banned
Fuck Spezza, in this league you need your #1 center to actually play defense and backcheck. I would rather have 60 point Bergeron type player that plays a 200 foot game than a PPG center like Spezza. Plus not to mention his injury history and is on the wrong side of 30.

Karlsson has actually showed he can play defense in his Norris season when he was healthy, I am writing this season off for him because he just came back from a sever injury, Traittersson left him, also his best friend Silver and is going through a divorce. The difference between Spezza and Karlsson is that one actually showed hes capable of playing defense and is still young enough to improve on it.

Fuck Shitzza, we got # 1 CENTER KYLE TURRIS.

Socreges

Banned
Well that just begs the question as to what is considered elite, then. It's a weird conversation to have because there are many good players who could be great on a different team (see: Seguin from Boston to Dallas).

edit: Actually, I take that back somewhat. I shouldn't say many players, but a decent amount.
Fair enough but you'd have to agree that Stastny and Mac aren't elite. Mac will be soon, of course.

Seguin is an exception, not the rule. IMO. He's a player that was always supposed to be elite, but lacked the maturity. I think he more than most needed a change of scenery.

No Sedin or Kesler on the list? Both aren't having great years but are still elite when healthy.

I wouldn't put Backstrom on the questionable list. He's better than that.

Samyy

No Sedin or Kesler on the list? Both aren't having great years but are still elite when healthy.

I wouldn't put Backstrom on the questionable list.

Sedin and Kesler have had baddddddddddd years - I noted "as of this season" everyone else on that list has played much better then them this year.

Fair enough but you'd have to agree that Stastny and Mac aren't elite. Mac will be soon, of course.

Seguin is an exception, not the rule. IMO. He's a player that was always supposed to be elite, but lacked the maturity. I think he more than most needed a change of scenery.
You won't get any arguments out of me about Stastny. We would be a lesser team without him right now but I would take a little less offense for some defensive stability if given the opportunity. Also it does work both ways obviously, watching Bobby Ryan go from the Ducks to Ottawa has been a pretty sad sight. But it gives even more creedence to the idea that a player's game can be changed dramatically if their environment changes enough.

Leafs will trade Lupul and Reimer to Peg in order make space for Stastny. Peg will give us videotapes of Paul Maurice's best locker room speeches in return.

Sedin and Kesler have had baddddddddddd years - I noted "as of this season" everyone else on that list has played much better then them this year.

Fair enough. Kesler does have the highest ice time among centres, but it has been a forgettable year offensively for everyone on the Canucks.

Taylor Hall quietly having a great season too. 77 points in 72 games.

Too bad he plays for a tire fire of an organization.

At least there lies the possibility that one of these years Edmonton will have a fire sale and some of the talent there will actually have chances to start building their careers.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Montreal radio guy is saying Price, Markov and Emelin are all staying back in Montreal for the trip to Chicago. So that game is a toss, but at least Beaulieu will see 3-4 mins of ice time.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Fuck Spezza, in this league you need your #1 center to actually play defense and backcheck. I would rather have 60 point Bergeron type player that plays a 200 foot game than a PPG center like Spezza. Plus not to mention his injury history and is on the wrong side of 30.

Karlsson has actually showed he can play defense in his Norris season when he was healthy, I am writing this season off for him because he just came back from a sever injury, Traittersson left him, also his best friend Silver and is going through a divorce. The difference between Spezza and Karlsson is that one actually showed hes capable of playing defense and is still young enough to improve on it.

Fuck Shitzza, we got # 1 CENTER KYLE TURRIS.

Spezza has been battling injuries as well, so it's hypocritical if you give Karlsson that pass but not Spezza.

Turris is not a #1 center IMO, but he's a very good #2. Either way, we have both on the team right now, so not sure how Turris being a #1 necessitates Spezza getting traded.

Our problem is our defence, and with Philoops getting resigned for 2 more years, I don't see how that problem is going to be fixed anytime soon.

At least there lies the possibility that one of these years Edmonton will have a fire sale and some of the talent there will actually have chances to start building their careers.

Can you imagine how pissed the NHL must be? :lol

All those marketable future stars left to rot in Edmonton.

@BuffaloSabresBuffalo Sabres 4:43 PM
Lieuwen joins Enroth and Neuvirth as #Sabres goalies sidelined for the season

Four more games left, how many more goalies can we get in there?

Makarov next on the depth chart, 20 years old, played most of the year in the ECHL until these injures started.

Im a homer on Bäckström but he should really be on the list. It feels like he has been constantly underrated in the shadow of Ovechkin.

A PPG player that is strong on the puck and takes his responsibilities seriously, never whines and almost never injured.

Havent seen much of WSH this year though so I shouldnt be too harsch, might be wrong, but I definately hold him in higher regards than Kopitar and Couture.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I consider Backstrom a top center as well, one of the best play makers in the league and he has a fantastic shot as well.

Acid08

Banned
Im a homer on Bäckström but he should really be on the list. It feels like he has been constantly underrated in the shadow of Ovechkin.

A PPG player that is strong on the puck and takes his responsibilities seriously, never whines and almost never injured.

Havent seen much of WSH this year though so I shouldnt be too harsch, might be wrong, but I definately hold him in higher regards than Kopitar and Couture.
Couture sure but Kopitar is a top three two way center in the league. He should be as highly regarded as any center in the NHL.

He's also one of the few Kings players that isn't a total asshole.

Cake Boss

Banned
Spezza has been battling injuries as well, so it's hypocritical if you give Karlsson that pass but not Spezza.

Turris is not a #1 center IMO, but he's a very good #2. Either way, we have both on the team right now, so not sure how Turris being a #1 necessitates Spezza getting traded.

Our problem is our defence, and with Philoops getting resigned for 2 more years, I don't see how that problem is going to be fixed anytime soon.

Uhh no its not because their injuries are completely different, one is a freak accident that looks to be almost healed, and one has been having the same injuries pop up since his junior career, it has always been the back and the groin injuries for Spezza since he was a rookie and it hasnt gotten any better, matter of fact that its getting worse with age.

Turris has proven he is our #1 center the past 2 seasons, last season he lead the team in points and into the playoffs, this season he gets the most ice time of any forward, gets the hardest minutes against the other team's top lines and pairings, and has proven he can still produce against them, leading goal scorer and leads the team in +21 while being on the worst defensive team in the league, the next best is +12. Plus hes only 24 and can still improve.

Like I said, I would take a 2 way 60 point Center over a PPG center any day, Turris looks to be that and maybe even more, could see him hit 70 points once he enters his prime and gets more looks in the power play and offensive zone.

Our defense still needs to be fixed though.

Top Bottom