• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2014 |OT| Waiting for the playoff thread...

Acid08

Banned
Happy Hertl?

20131127_pjc_ax5_366.0_standard_783.0.jpg

HAPPY HERTL!!!!

Corsi and Fenwick don't mean shit.

Except that it happens to match up really closely with who is playing well and who isn't for the Blues.

They're tools like any other stat. Tools that are better suited to a long observation than a single game. Cherry-picking a situation like a single game's Corsi and Fenwick is a bit like throwing out a cold day in January to refute global warming.

Marvie_3

Banned
Hell yes. I'm going next month for the first time, I've been trying to go for over a year now but myself or my friends have been busy on when they host it. Gotta think of a team name

Well some of us aren't rich fancy pants that live in LA now are we?
The Suckiest Bunch Of Sucks That Ever Sucked

Socreges

Banned
Canucks have a VERY good chance of reaching that #6 spot if they lose their remaining two games. Presumably Carolina isn't as terrible and will win one of their two.

Only problem is that the Canucks' games are against the Oilers and Flames. :(

Phone hearing for Rupp. Nothing for Murray.

It's hard to even feel salty for the Rupp hit. The depression at possibly being down Backes Oshie and Tarasenko going into a first round match against the Hawks is just too much.

Solo

Nope I'm an anglo Canadian who just happens to have enough been fortunate enough to have been born into a family with the sense to not root for the Leafs and a deep love for the Habs.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
Nope I'm an anglo Canadian who just happens to have enough been fortunate enough to have been born into a family with the sense to not root for the Leafs and a deep love for the Habs.

Yup. I got indoctrinated at an early age by my brother and cousins.

Except that it happens to match up really closely with who is playing well and who isn't for the Blues.

They're tools like any other stat. Tools that are better suited to a long observation than a single game. Cherry-picking a situation like a single game's Corsi and Fenwick is a bit like throwing out a cold day in January to refute global warming.
I sort of agree with this, but I think corsi and fenwick are both flawed. You can get some understanding of things with them but they are really not infallible.
"The coach is very happy," Roy deadpanned. "We're going to call Patrick tomorrow to let him know that Varly beat the record and I am sure he is going to be OK with it."
Roy is such a likable guy.

Solo

Yup. I got indoctrinated at an early age by my brother and cousins.

It was my dad in my family. I was watching the Habs as far back as I can recall. My earliest memories are of the 1989 Stanley Cup losing (to Calgary) team. And then of course the 1993 team winning it all is the defining sports memory of my childhood. And then the 9 years of fucking DARKNESS that followed that, and then the 12 years of ups and downs that followed that to lead us to 2014.

Haven't seen anyone call it yet so I got dibs on the playoff thread.

Please let this happen.

It means I don't feel like we will just give up a win or not put in 100% for a better draft position, despite a meaningless victory.

Your team won't. But you should realise by now that ever since playoff contention, all your "team" is playing for is a bunch of individual players scraping for an extension or a showoff to the other 29 teams of their potential/skill.

This new spotify design is really nice.

ERR'M'GERRRD. Yes. Loving it. Got confused with how to save playlists until I realised it''s now 1 click and a few scrolls.

zroid

Banned

My family were Habs fans living in Toronto. They're just a bunch of gutless pukes who didn't want to support a team that never wins. I converted my dad into a Leafs fan. :p

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
It was my dad in my family. I was watching the Habs as far back as I can recall. My earliest memories are of the 1989 Stanley Cup losing (to Calgary) team. And then of course the 1993 team winning it all is the defining sports memory of my childhood. And then the 9 years of fucking DARKNESS that followed that, and then the 12 years of ups and downs that followed that to lead us to 2014.

Yeah, the 89 cup loss sucked. Wonder if zedge was a furry yet ;) . 1993 was amazing, those overtime games. I used to watch the Habs games on French CBC all the time.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Ryan McDonagh has been named the Rangers' Team MVP as voted by the media. That ends Henrik Lundqvist's MVP streak at 7 years.

Ryan McDonagh also won the Rangers' Players' Player Award, as voted by the team. Ryan Callahan had won the award the last 3 years. McDonagh is the first defenseman to win the award since Brian Leetch.

Sure sounds like the team has decided who their captain is.

Babs just said on the radio that those vets who had their jobs taken by the kids, won't get those jobs back... You know what that means!!

NO MORE DAN CLEARY EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

skGqJVK.gif

zedge

Yeah, the 89 cup loss sucked. Wonder if zedge was a furry yet ;) . 1993 was amazing, those overtime games. I used to watch the Habs games on French CBC all the time.
To young to be furry.. ;) I was at the parade! Suck it Habs. ;)

You could hear cars honking all over the city.. Electric ave was packed. Huge party was awesome.

I remember seeing Chelios and Suter hanging out together at Scotia Centre. Guess the were buddies off the ice. I said whats up. :)

Met Suter before. Hated Chelios.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
To young to be furry.. ;) I was at the parade! Suck it Habs. ;)

You could hear cars honking all over the city.. Electric ave was packed. Huge party was awesome.

I remember seeing Chelios and Suter hanging out together at Scotia Centre. Guess the were buddies off the ice. I said whats up. :)

Met Suter before. Hated Chelios.

lol, that is pretty cool

calder

I sort of agree with this, but I think corsi and fenwick are both flawed. You can get some understanding of things with them but they are really not infallible.

Not infallible? Well as long as you have a realistic benchmark for useful data. comeonson.jpg

The resistance to advanced stats in NHL GAF always surprises me a bit. But then I remember that, despite my for some reason thinking regulars in this thread have a pretty good baseline of hockey knowledge I see ppl talking about plus/minus like it's a thing that has actual value in player evaluation.

I look forward to my first appearance on the podcast, where I refuse to let Marvie hang up the Skype call until he welcomes CF% into his heart.

kingslunk

Curse doesn't exist. Now the blessing does. I just can't give the blessing to my own team. My teams are cursed.

Red Wings or Ducks (or potentially Avs) - Cup Champions 2014.

My teams are also cursed by my blessing. I think both our blessings toward the broncos is what led to their superbowl downfall.

Top Bottom