• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NHL April 2015 |OT| Dustin Brown, Dustin Bro--

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Tonight we are all Canucks? Yes?

This is probably one of our biggest games this (regular) season.

Cake Boss

Banned
Game 7 of the finals and you have a 1 goal lead with 3 mins to play, how many coaches are putting Karlsson out there over Weber, Doughty, Subban, Keith, McDonagh? On the other hand if you're down 1 goal with 3 mins left, Karlsson is the guy you would put out for sure.

lol yeah no they aren't, unless Markov is out there with him and Price is there to bail him out from his giveaways.

jCfxsgpIjxwB5.JPG

jbfsLFl8Sb3nms.JPG

I am pretty sure the Norris goes to the guy who had the best season, not the guy who you would have for 1 game.

zroid

Banned
giveaways isn't a good stat tbh

there's a lot of arena bias in how it's recorded and it's also biased by ice time and puck possession time. it follows that a player that has the puck more will also give it away more.

Cake Boss

Banned
Ok what's a good stat to show how one person is better than another person defensively, because all we're going by is reputation. Oh hes good offensively, HE MUST BE BAD IN DEFENSE.

CB7eU4lUgAAkeF1.png

:lol at Shea Weber, motherfucker not even the best dman in his own team, let alone the league.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I would not argue that baseball takes no skill. I have a hard time believing that hockey is considered so low on that pic.

All pro sports take skill, but to put a game where you need to do so much at once so far below those other major sports?

NBA ranked so high? Sure basketball is tough, but come on...A basketball fan so made this graph, since they have no understanding of other sports ;P

zroid

Banned
Ok what's a good stat to show how one person is better than another person defensively, because all we're going by is reputation. Oh hes good offensively, HE MUST BE BAD IN DEFENSE.

CB7eU4lUgAAkeF1.png
I'm just saying lol. I don't have a problem with giving Karlsson the Norris. He deserves it as much as anyone.

I would not argue that baseball takes no skill. I have a hard time believing that hockey is considered so low on that pic.

All pro sports take skill, but to put a game where you need to do so much at once so far below those other major sports?

NBA ranked so high? Sure basketball is tough, but come on...A basketball fan so made this graph, since they have no understanding of other sports ;P

I think you guys are missing the point a little. The idea isn't that a game "takes luck", but that luck influences the outcome to varying degrees. You still need a ton of skill to play any sport at an elite level.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
lol yeah no they aren't, unless Markov is out there with him and Price is there to bail him out from his giveaways.

I am pretty sure the Norris goes to the guy who had the best season, not the guy who you would have for 1 game.
Lol @ using giveaways has a counter argument, particularly when Karlsson is sitting at #3. If a coach won't use a "Norris" winner in that situation, he probably shouldn't win the Norris. There needs to be separate awards for D men, one for points and one for defensive D men plain and simple, Karlsson could rack up all the Bobby Orr awards he wants. I never even said Subban should win it this year either.

iLLmAtlc

I think there's bias against Karlsson and Subban. Regardless of situation their skill of getting the puck and moving it out is useful, especially if you're defending a lead. If a coach a picks Weber over either of them I'd think they were coloured by this misconception of what a d should look/play like over actual evidence.

7 Bloodborne threads on the first page of Gaming. I guess the long weekend meant more time for people to play.

I agree there should be an offensive defenceman award. If there's an Art Ross (for the best offensive player, usually a forward) and a Selke (for the best defensive forward), why not split the Norris? Weber definitely benefits from playing with Josi (and Suter before then), but Subban doesn't benefit from Markov, or Karlsson with Methot?

If Weber wins the Norris it will be because he doesn't have one yet and the competition is pretty even this year.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Me too, but the team just wasn't viable. I wish baseball was bigger here.

I'm just glad Youppi survived.

I will forever hate the Nationals for taking the Expos away.

That 94 lockout was the worst thing that could have ever happened.

SCHUEY F1

Unconfirmed Member
7 Bloodborne threads on the first page of Gaming. I guess the long weekend meant more time for people to play.

I agree there should be an offensive defenceman award. If there's an Art Ross (for the best offensive player, usually a forward) and a Selke (for the best defensive forward), why not split the Norris? Weber definitely benefits from playing with Josi (and Suter before then), but Subban doesn't benefit from Markov, or Karlsson with Methot?

If Weber wins the Norris it will be because he doesn't have one yet and the competition is pretty even this year.

Bloodborne must have the record for most threads within a games launch window.

Foggy

BJs can feel free to lose out as long as they beat the Rangers tonight. I might just cry from the sheer absurdity of the season.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I think hockey is lower on that chart because you have to deal with the different ice surfaces, and the random bounces off the stanchions, I don't think it's trying to argue it doesn't take an immense amount of skill.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I think hockey is lower on that chart because you have to deal with the different ice surfaces, and the random bounces off the stanchions, I don't think it's trying to argue it doesn't take an immense amount of skill.

so does soccer tho

I think the "luck" factor of hockey mostly stems from being the by-far fastest sport on that list, which can lead to a lot of bounces and instinct-plays. And instincts is kind of hard to tell apart from luck sometimes. So I get where they're coming from... but it's not like "luck vs skill" is a linear scale. Hockey requires a ton of skill BUT there is some luck involved. I'd say chess definitely has less luck involved than hockey, but nobody is saying chess requires more skill than hockey :p

zroid

Banned
By far the way luck/randomness affects a game the most is how high-scoring it is. The more scoring plays that occur, the greater the sample size that goes into separating the "skill" involved. That's the main reason basketball is less random, because there are so many scoring plays. The team that plays better usually wins.

Hockey is the most low scoring of the pro sports (except soccer), so it follows that randomness plays a bigger role in determining the victor.

I think there are a few reasons why soccer is (apparently) less random than hockey, and speed is one part of it. Another is probably the size of the goal / impact of the goalkeeper (much less than in hockey). Another is perhaps the length of the game -- 90 minutes gives the better side a greater opportunity to win.

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
so does soccer tho

I think the "luck" factor of hockey mostly stems from being the by-far fastest sport on that list, which can lead to a lot of bounces and instinct-plays. And instincts is kind of hard to tell apart from luck sometimes. So I get where they're coming from... but it's not like "luck vs skill" is a linear scale. Hockey requires a ton of skill BUT there is some luck involved. I'd say chess definitely has less luck involved than hockey, but nobody is saying chess requires more skill than hockey :p

A soccer field probably has less abnormalities than some of the ice surfaces in the NHL, and doesn't get deformed over the course of a game.

A puck bouncing is a lot harder to predict than a round ball too, although a soccer ball has wind to contend with.

Quick

Banned
Gaming side teasing a Red Dead Redemption sequel.

Main characters? Seth and Irish.

Not sure if April Fools' joke.

Gaming side teasing a Red Dead Redemption sequel.

Main characters? Seth and Irish.

Not sure if April Fools' joke.

It's From Reddit. I wouldn't trust it.

But there was a GAF thread like 2-3 months ago where someone was verified by bish and said RDR2 is coming soon. I wish I could find the thread

Pikma

Banned
A soccer field probably has less abnormalities than some of the ice surfaces in the NHL, and doesn't get deformed over the course of a game.

A puck bouncing is a lot harder to predict than a round ball too, although a soccer ball has wind to contend with.
Soccer fields may have less abnormalities overall but they vary a lot from field to field, the ball just won't behave the same in two different fields, for example, not even in the same city sometimes, and if you take into account the use of synthetic grass in some of the fields, a lot more of randomness is added.

Yawnier

Banned
It's From Reddit. I wouldn't trust it.

But there was a GAF thread like 2-3 months ago where someone was verified by bish and said RDR2 is coming soon. I wish I could find the thread

IIRC there have been a few posters on here that have said that RDR2 is coming soon, over the last 2 - 3 years that is.

More of a matter of when it is releasing, rather than if it is eventually releasing (imo).

zroid

Banned
Carolina can both lock up Buffalo's 30th spot and greatly improve Toronto's chances of finishing 27th with a regulation win today. Let's go!

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
Soccer fields may have less abnormalities overall but they vary a lot from field to field, the ball just won't behave the same in two different fields, for example, not even in the same city sometimes, and if you take into account the use of synthetic grass in some of the fields, a lot more of randomness is added.

Certainly, but less than hockey I'd think.

Top Bottom